Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
miles01110 said:
Most people need to remember, Apple doesn't call their portables "laptops" any more, they call them "notebooks." They aren't meant to be used on your lap any more, they are meant to be portable.

If they're not meant to be laptops anymore, then I see no reason to make them as thin as possible (and leave out features because of it, *cough* dual layer dvd *cough*).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Im not buying the whole Laptop/Notebook crap. We buy laptops for one major reason to work on the go when you're not at a desk. If you're not at a desk you put your laptop on your lap. Its the way its been. Calling the laptop notebooks is just to save face. I mean even phill schiller Apple VP put his "notebook" on his lap when steve was demoing Bonjour during the macmini launch.

Laptops are meant to be used on your lap as i am doing now its the reason i buy them, not to have my testicles medium rare.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
reflex said:
(and leave out features because of it, *cough* dual layer dvd *cough*).

Its the reason i'm waiting for the merom update should i decide to go that route. I'm hoping they'll come to their senses and give us FW800, DL SuperDrives (16x would be nice) and an extra USB port and Magnetic latching mechanism. Enough of sacrificing features for form.

camking

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Cambridge, UK
I'm getting worried reading this thread as I'm about the buy a MBP and was hoping it wouldn't get as hot as my girlfriends 12" PB. I think even they produce too much heat to put on your lap after they've been running for a while :(
I think i remember some1 saying in another thread that the new CoreDuo2 machines will get even hotter than the current MBP :confused:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
reflex said:
If they're not meant to be laptops anymore, then I see no reason to make them as thin as possible (and leave out features because of it, *cough* dual layer dvd *cough*).

They make it is thin as possible so it is portable.

Not including a dual layer DVD probably has to do with 3 things; cost, heat, and power consumption. It's most likely not a matter of "we're going to screw over people that buy this machine by not putting in a dual-layer dvd just because we feel like it."

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Under normal use (web photoshop elements email) the only time my 12 PB (1.33 GH) gets hot is when some backgroup process goes screwy and takes over 100% of the CPU. The hottest temp for normal use is 126 F and then the fans are on high. My fans typicaly do not come on and I work with the Powerbook on my lap all the time.

I've had my laptop up to 152 F but that was after 30 minutes of 100% CPU use doing video conversion and running off AC.

Hot is a subjective term.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
miles01110 said:
It's most likely not a matter of "we're going to screw over people that buy this machine by not putting in a dual-layer dvd just because we feel like it."

I think that's precisely what it is :)

"We save money on aluminium by making it thinner and can take the excuse to omit the DL drive too!"

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I've got to add to those supporting the 12" PB.

I know that it's pretty slow compared to the new Macbooks/Pro, but it remains the smallest laptop that Apple have ever made, with the extra sturdiness of the Al instead of the plastic on the Macbooks.

I did originally get the first, 867Mhz version, and that did get hot. But that was replaced under warranty with a 1.33Ghz version, which is much, much better. If portability matters most instead of absolute speed you can't go wrong with the 1.33 or 1.5 models, especially if you have access to a recent desktop as well - in fact, you'd probably be able to get the PB and an iMac for not much more than a Macbook Pro.

David

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Jericho2550 said:
WAIT A SEC!!!! :eek:

the MBP gets hotter than a 12" PowerBook?! I have a 12" PowerBook, it gets annoyingly hot in my opinion, I'm about to get a MBP after the merom update, are you saying it will be even hotter than my PowerBook? :confused:
If this means anything, when I returned my MacBook Pro to CompUSA for a refund because it was so unbelievably hot compared to my 15" G4 PB. I was prepared to fight because their policy is not to give refunds on opened laptops, but after showing the manager how hot it actually gets (and that it wasn't just my MBP .. all of them do that), he gave a full refund with no fuss.
FFTT said:
I think your best solution is to wait for the Santa Rosa/Leopard models this spring.
Or for Apple to do a second SMC firmware update for the existing Pros. The one they just released for the MacBooks made a significant difference in how hot it feels.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I had an early revision 12" PB, and it got really hot. This improved after one of the software updates, don't remember which one.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
miles01110 said:
They make it is thin as possible so it is portable.

Not including a dual layer DVD probably has to do with 3 things; cost, heat, and power consumption. It's most likely not a matter of "we're going to screw over people that buy this machine by not putting in a dual-layer dvd just because we feel like it."

Who uses CDs anymore??

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Passante said:
Who uses CDs anymore??

Who mentioned CDs?

I'm not saying that the Powerbooks are bad machines (quite the opposite, really), or that Macbooks/Pros are perfect. I'm just saying that the heat should not come as a huge surprise like a number of people in this thread are making it out to be. It's like moving from New York to Arizona, and complaining that it was hotter than you thought it would be. Macbook and Macbook Pro users own some of the most powerful portable computers to date, and that comes at a price....FASTER CHIPS GENERATE MORE HEAT. Figure it out.

daneoni said:
Im not buying the whole Laptop/Notebook crap. We buy laptops for one major reason to work on the go when you're not at a desk. If you're not at a desk you put your laptop on your lap. Its the way its been. Calling the laptop notebooks is just to save face. I mean even phill schiller Apple VP put his "notebook" on his lap when steve was demoing Bonjour during the macmini launch.

Laptops are meant to be used on your lap as i am doing now its the reason i buy them, not to have my testicles medium rare.

Good for Phill Schiller. You can put your computer on your lap, sure. But if it gets hot, like Apple, Dell, and every other major portable manufacturer warns you about, you shouldn't go complaining about the unfairness of life. If it bothers you that much, get a cooler (slower) Powerbook so you can use it comfortably on your lap. Otherwise, suck it up or put it on a desk- like Apple recommends.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
miles01110 said:
Macbook and Macbook Pro users own some of the most powerful portable computers to date, and that comes at a price....FASTER CHIPS GENERATE MORE HEAT. Figure it out.
It's not how much heat the CPU generates, it's how well the fans dissipate the heat. And for the record, the MacBooks and MacBook Pros aren't any more powerful than the cooler-running Core Duo notebooks that Lenovo and Sony are shipping.

IMO, to simply accept that the new Apple notebooks "must" run hot because they've got a processor that is 4x-5x faster than the G4 that it replaced (and there's nothing that can be done about it) is wrong, especially when other manufacturers are shipping Core Duo notebooks that run a great deal cooler.

Apple themselves have proved this point by recently releasing a SMC firmware that lowered MacBook temperatures by running the fans differently enough to dissipate the heat better. Some folks are seeing over a 10'C drop in temperature.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
miles01110 said:
Who mentioned CDs?

I'm not saying that the Powerbooks are bad machines (quite the opposite, really), or that Macbooks/Pros are perfect. I'm just saying that the heat should not come as a huge surprise like a number of people in this thread are making it out to be. It's like moving from New York to Arizona, and complaining that it was hotter than you thought it would be. Macbook and Macbook Pro users own some of the most powerful portable computers to date, and that comes at a price....FASTER CHIPS GENERATE MORE HEAT. Figure it out.

Good for Phill Schiller. You can put your computer on your lap, sure. But if it gets hot, like Apple, Dell, and every other major portable manufacturer warns you about, you shouldn't go complaining about the unfairness of life. If it bothers you that much, get a cooler (slower) Powerbook so you can use it comfortably on your lap. Otherwise, suck it up or put it on a desk- like Apple recommends.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

You are such a fanboy, you should be on Apple's payroll.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Guys
You are supposed to give me some advices and tips :D :(

Anyhow, Ive decided to wait just a bit more and see if MB w/ merom is problem free.

Regarding the heal issue of my MBP, no one can change the fact that my MBP gets 70~80 degree Celsius. It's hot no matter how hot a person feels is subjective.
That's why I'm considering another laptop.
As I've said already, I'm pretty happy with the performance of MBP. I just don't buy "portable" and "laptop" logic.
Thanks for all the tips.
I thought the 12" PB refurbished was pretty decent deal, but then, Apple might be able to show us some real "laptops" pretty soon. So basically I'm hoping. :eek:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
miles01110 said:
No, you are just a disgruntled individual that can't deal with changing technology. Accept it, and move on.

Yeah ok, if you want to tell yourself that.

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
FFTT said:
If your machine feels too hot,
take it in to the Genius Bar and have them check it over.

I think your best solution is to wait for the Santa Rosa/Leopard models this spring.

Then hopefully you'll have a machine that runs longer and cooler than anything made today.

That's my plan. My two year old iBook is serving me quite well right now.

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Seriously, what the hell use is a "laptop" which, basically, has to be used like a desktop?

My MacBook ran hotter than my roommate's 17" HP Notebook, which uses a desktop Pentium IV chip. That's how damned hot the thing ran.

Not acceptable.

I like the Mac OS and I love the look of Mac Hardware but, it has to be faced up to, there are some truly strange design decisions which Apple has made over time.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
If you have a MBP which is elligable for a logic board replacement then get it done. Made my MBP drop 10 degrees celcius. And that's just the internal temperature. The casing is much cooler too than before the logic board replacement, and I now have no trouble using the thing on my lap.

So IMO, with the new logic board, the heat is no issue at all.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Temujin said:
If you have a MBP which is elligable for a logic board replacement then get it done. Made my MBP drop 10 degrees celcius. And that's just the internal temperature. The casing is much cooler too than before the logic board replacement, and I now have no trouble using the thing on my lap.

So IMO, with the new logic board, the heat is no issue at all.

Good to hear...is this already in mass production or will they wait until Merom to implement it? I wanted to get a Macbook but with all of the problems I have been reading about, I am considering an HP dv2000 among others instead...I configured one up on HPs site with the same specs as the base Macbook for $875. Normall I would say $125 is a small price to pay to get Apple's usually excellent hardware (using Amazon.coms $999 after mail in rebate deal) but with the problems I am reading about I'm thinking maybe I would rather deal with Windows problems...

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Jericho2550 said:
WAIT A SEC!!!! :eek:

the MBP gets hotter than a 12" PowerBook?! I have a 12" PowerBook, it gets annoyingly hot in my opinion, I'm about to get a MBP after the merom update, are you saying it will be even hotter than my PowerBook? :confused:

Yup I'd agree that the 12" PB gets hot. Or at least mine did.

My new MBP doesn't get any hotter and I use it on my lap all the time. I might get a bit sweaty but it's not burning me.

I'd also say that the battery life I'm getting is comparable to the Powerbook. There's not a huge difference anyway and I use both with the same brightness level and settings.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
The 12" powerbook was the hottest ppc laptop ever. There were many whiners (myself included) about the heat of the 15" and 12" pb before the mbp was released. Everyone was hoping hte MBP and MB would finally run cool.

I had a 15" powerbook which was too hot for me and I traded down to a 1.33ghz 12" iBook which stays quite cool and unless you are doing very intense tasks for long periods of time, is comfortable (which is better than tolerable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.