Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The Macbook Pros shouldn't even get THAT hot, speaking from experience. Mine idles at ~30-35 deg. C and under load maxes out at 70 deg. C. This is not abnormal performance, as anyone that has been around computers will attest. People that are experiencing excessive heat have something wrong with their particular unit- possibly incorrectly applied thermal paste. Or maybe the vent is being blocked.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
miles01110 said:
The Macbook Pros shouldn't even get THAT hot, speaking from experience. Mine idles at ~30-35 deg. C and under load maxes out at 70 deg. C. This is not abnormal performance, as anyone that has been around computers will attest. People that are experiencing excessive heat have something wrong with their particular unit- possibly incorrectly applied thermal paste. Or maybe the vent is being blocked.
Wow, your MacBook Pro is idling ~20'C cooler than most others. :eek:

Of the 160 MBPs logged over at http://intelmactemp.com, the average idle temp is 52'C.

I wish there was an easy way to monitor the case temps. I don't think anyone really cares about the CPU temp, ... it's more like "that's the only temp that we can really monitor ourselves and share".

A MacBook Pro case where the CPU is idling at 52'C feels a lot different than a MacBook case where the CPU is idling at the same temperature.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
aristobrat said:

Of the 160 MBPs logged over at http://intelmactemp.com, the average idle temp is 52'C.
Almost all of the registered temps were logged before the new MBP logic board came to town. If you were to compare MBP's with the new board you would see a much lover average temp.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Temujin said:
Almost all of the registered temps were logged before the new MBP logic board came to town. If you were to compare MBP's with the new board you would see a much lover average temp.
So all the OP has to do is send in his MBP for a logic board replacement and it's guaranteed to run cooler than 52'C?

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
aristobrat said:
So all the OP has to do is send in his MBP for a logic board replacement and it's guaranteed to run cooler than 52'C?
There is no guarantees in life, but I've heard many MBP users who's had the new logic board installed report lower temperatures. I've had the same experience.
The internal temperatures of my MBP has been lowered considerably, but what really counts is the casing temperature. It's now possible for me to use it on my lap with no problems at all, even when charging.
The only negatives I can think of is that the fans go on a bit earlier than before. But I don't really mind that much. The cool feel of my MBP outweighs the sound of the fans.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
aristobrat said:

I wish there was an easy way to monitor the case temps. I don't think anyone really cares about the CPU temp, ... it's more like "that's the only temp that we can really monitor ourselves and share".

While I agree with you in principle, 160 MBPs registered on a site tracking the heat of MBP CPUs (at least to me) does not seem like a good way to judge the performance of the machine. It's kind of like these forums....the vast majority of people that log in to these forums are having a problem of some sort and want to get it fixed. If I was to look at these forums and make a judgement call about Apple computers, I would tend to think that they all have major problems. 160 isn't that many, either.

A MacBook Pro case where the CPU is idling at 52'C feels a lot different than a MacBook case where the CPU is idling at the same temperature.

True- the plastic on the Macbook is a better insulator than the aluminum on the Macbook Pro. As a result, the aluminum dissipates heat much better. The plastic will just keep getting hotter and hotter.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
miles01110 said:
True- the plastic on the Macbook is a better insulator than the aluminum on the Macbook Pro. As a result, the aluminum dissipates heat much better. The plastic will just keep getting hotter and hotter.
Actually, on my MacBook, the fan seems to be doing a good job of exhausting the heat out the little vent before it has a chance to build up in the plastic.

My 15" G4 PowerBook (also aluminum) did a good job of venting the heat before the case got too hot.

I wish Apple could have made the same magic happen on the three MacBook Pros that I went thru before giving up and "settling" on a MacBook. :(

From a look at the recent posts in Apple's MacBook Pro Support Forum, I'm guessing that not everyone's getting the new logic board as there's still threads like this one where customers are frustrated almost to wits end because their notebooks are so hot. :(

Hopefully the C2D MacBook Pros will run cooler. I do miss the backlit keyboard and the 15" screen!!!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
aristobrat said:

I guess if you're using a laptop cooler stand, that explains why yours runs cooler... :eek:

miles01110 said:
I ws just running Civ 4, and when I command-tabbed to my temperature monitor it read 76 deg. Celsius. I am already running a laptop cooler stand....is there anything else I can do to reduce the heat? Preferably without voiding the warranty...

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
My week 13 MBP ran exceedingly hot, 56ºC at the hard drive! After repair, the HD temp sensor, under the same conditions, read 32ºC. As I repaired the laptop in early April and no way of measuring the CPU temps then existed, I cannot give a before repair CPU temperature figure. But it idles now at 36ºC and has not gotten any hotter than ~70ºC, as when ripping a DVD with Handbrake, both CPUs pegged.

There is no reason for these machines to run any hotter.

BB

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If heat is the major issue...

I wouldn't suggest a 12" PB either.

I own a 12" 1.33GHz PB and a 12" 1.33GHz iBook. The iBook runs so much cooler, it's mind-boggling. It also gets better wifi reception. *shrug* No competition for me. Although, I do miss how compact and slim the PB is. :eek:

drbrog

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Chicago
Trade for a 15" Powerbook?

I have a one year old 15" powerbook I'd be willing to trade for your macbook pro if you'd like.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I bought my MPB in July this year, and its runs as cool as any other laptop ive used. I use it on my lap quite alot, working and watching DVD's, it feels a little warm but nothing that would make me think i needed to move it off my lap. There is also new (well, i guess by now its old) firmware out to better the fan in the MBP and mak it run cooler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.