Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Has this thread died because most things are fixed or people have given up? I'm still on IOS 12.4.1 on an X, and afraid to upgrade to 13.5 due to all the email issues, such as inbox needing refreshing to display incoming emails.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I use a standard IMAP account that’s push enabled. It’s the only account I have set up in iOS and iPadOS 13.5 on an iPhone 7 and 6th gen. WiFi-only iPad. I sometimes get an incorrect badge count on the iPad, but not on the iPhone. I’ve needed to manually refresh the mail a few times, but on the whole it’s been a lot better with 13.5. New messages usually take anywhere from 2 to 7 seconds to load after opening Mail on either device.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I don’t even use the Mail app TBH. I use both GMail app (personal) and Outlook app (work & personal).

The Apple Mail app is no longer used by me unless I am checking my iCloud emails and even then that is very rare.

EDIT:

Just added iCloud account to my GMail app, I don’t need the Mail app anymore.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Has this thread died because most things are fixed or people have given up? I'm still on IOS 12.4.1 on an X, and afraid to upgrade to 13.5 due to all the email issues, such as inbox needing refreshing to display incoming emails.
I personally have just given up. And TBH I'm not even holding out much hope for iOS 14 working either.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Mail works for me for a few weeks and then the problems are coming back. I’ve switched back from Edison to Mail and it still works now. Hope the best

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
For me its not so much Mail but the reminders app as they don't sync between iPhone and Mac.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Apple have a dedicated iCloud Sync Break team. They honed their skills on text shortcuts over a number of years, then moved on to Mail. I believe, after a short stint working with the Reminders group they're now working with the Calendars team.

Most times, when I create a calerndar event on my laptop it won't sync over to the phone until I open the stock Calendars app. This means that no alerts will trigger until one opens the app on the phone and waits for it to sync.

At least they've now left the Mail team alone, so they can get back to their day job of decoupling the new-mail alert and badge from the new mails themselves.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
It is still broken. I switched back to the stock mail app due to better integration, how ever I still use the Gmail app because that will get me my alerts. So when I get the email alert for new email, I open up the stock email app because more than likely it is someone I need to call and I can click the number from the stock email app and dial it. The Gmail app does not allow that. When opening the stock email app sometimes I need to refresh it to show me the new email, and sometimes I don't. It is hit or miss. I just wish they would fix it. I could give a rats ass about all these new emojis and animojis, I use email the most. And for me, during this pandemic lock down stuff, I have needed email more now than ever as my business is considered essential so all my communication is done via emails. I use the paid version of Gmail (G Suite), and it works fine, never had an issue. And when setting up the email client, Google recommends setting it up as an Exchange client with the stock email app and gives instructions on how to do that (https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/7649685?hl=en). It has worked flawlessly like this for the past 10 years. However when upgrading to iOS 13, something with email broke. On my backup phone, an iPhone SE on iOS 12, the stock email app works perfect. So it is something with iOS 13 for sure. I just wish Apple would fix it already.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Anyone else notice that, if you close the mail app and restart your phone, you won't get notifications until the mail app is opened?
Also, notification settings for mail don't even appear in settings until the app is opened after a restart?

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I just found this post, and would like to add my findings.

I’ve got my iCloud mail account, 3 Gmail accounts, a Yahoo account, my Comcast mail account, and my Outlook.com mail account. The ONLY account I have issues with is my iCloud mail account. If I turn off iCloud mail in settings and stick with just my other 6 accounts, it’s awesome! Totally quick and syncs all of the folders right away. As soon as I enable my iCloud mail, my All Inboxes folder stops updating and my iCloud mail folders don’t update until some time later when I’m not holding my phone. Maybe 10 min or maybe an hour later, not sure. I’ve even tried ONLY using my iCloud mail in the Mail app, and I’m not seeing any change. Still drags. What’s worse is that over alllllllll of the iOS 13 releases (including all the betas), it seems to have been fixed in 13.4.1 and the couple releases before it. Even the last couple betas of 13.5 were working fine for me. Issues started again when the official 13.5 release came out. And considering how late we are in the iOS 13 release cycle, I’d bet we won’t see any improvements at all until iOS 14 starts getting tested. And even then who knows what the Mail app will look like. I sure hope they actually make it work instead of adding more features. It’s a darn email app. The best email app in 2020 is the one that ALWAYS works. Keep it consistent. I’ve got my fingers crossed, but I’m not feeling hopeful.

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden

I updated my iPad two weeks ago to 13 and have so far not noticed anything different from 12 regarding e-mail (have four accounts, iCloud, office 365, hotmail and gmail).

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Right, that's it! Now it's ALL totally broken for me. Reminders was my only real issue as it didn't sync between Mac and iPhone, but oddly did sync between iPhone and Mac. But now even if I make amendments on my iPhone they don't sync to the Mac. previously they did sync.

But more worrying, now my Mail doesn't sync at all. I moved some mail on my Mac (.mac account using Mail app) into folders, deleted a few emails. The usual stuff. But these changes did not sync across to my iPhone.

I think it may have something to do with the latest incremental update.

This seriously is taking the p1$$.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Right? It’s like some kind of sick joke. They need to let us make 3rd party apps default if they’re going to keep pushing out garbage like this.
Well, my emails seem to be working OK again today. But reminders are still shot! No sync at all. New reminders don't sync. If I select remind me in an hour/ tomorrow / complete they don sync. Ridiculous.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’m convinced this is an issue with the iCloud Mail service itself, not the actual Mail app. For anyone else having issues with the stock Mail app, is it your iCloud account that’s having issues or another service? And if it is your iCloud account, have you had your mail account since the old @mac.com days? Still using @me.com instead of @icloud.com? I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the naming of the domain, “me.com” or “mac.com” as opposed to “iCloud.com”

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I’m convinced this is an issue with the iCloud Mail service itself, not the actual Mail app. For anyone else having issues with the stock Mail app, is it your iCloud account that’s having issues or another service? And if it is your iCloud account, have you had your mail account since the old @mac.com days? Still using @me.com instead of @icloud.com? I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the naming of the domain, “me.com” or “mac.com” as opposed to “iCloud.com”
I'm having issues with my iCloud account. I have a .mac account which Ive had since its inception.

Reactions: gank41

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm having issues with my iCloud account. I have a .mac account which Ive had since its inception.
In case it helps, I have both .mac and .me accounts, and not having any iCloud issues in Mail or anything else for which I log into iCloud. Although I haven't read the whole thread, I'm not having Mail issues on my iPhone xR or iPad Pro 12.9 in 13.5.1 or previous versions.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I have both .mac and .me accounts, and not having any iCloud issues in Mail or anything else I log into for iCloud.
Can you sync reminders from Mac to iPhone? So, if you have a reminder pop up on your Mac, if you ask to be reminded later, does it sync across to your iPhone? Or if you change date, does it sync?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.