Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
There is not one at this time. This has been an issue throughout iOS 13 and many have posted feedback to Apple on it.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to hope I can downgrade using an older iphone backup on my PC.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I can't stand it anymore! I've tried everything, read the blogs, watched the youtube videos for fixes and nothing works.

I have an iPhone backup on my PC which was using iOS 12.4. Of course Apple is not signing this old iOS any more so I can't downgrade via itunes. Any other route I can take?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I can't stand it anymore! I've tried everything, read the blogs, watched the youtube videos for fixes and nothing works.

I have an iPhone backup on my PC which was using iOS 12.4. Of course Apple is not signing this old iOS any more so I can't downgrade via itunes. Any other route I can take?

Nope.

At least that I am aware of. :(

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
If I understand this correctly, there is no sync issue of email notification, email notification icon and email delivery, if using the Outlook app?

The issue is primarily with the iOS built in mail, no?

Now that I am not working, I might have to consider the Outlook app.
Alas, what to do when I go back to work (I like to keep personal email and work emails in separate locations)...
Outlook is one of the few where notifications work well for me. Just sometimes it takes a few seconds for mails to appear once I open it. And it has the true black dark mode and not the gray. The only other thing I keep GMail around for is searching. Outlook is poor for finding older emails. I can find anything if I search with GMail.

Reactions: circatee

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Still inconsistent and generally buggered.

Yesterday, I had notifications of new mail. Opened app, and of course they weren't there. What is more, the app said it had last checked for mail yesterday. Pulled screen down for a refresh, and it took 48 seconds for 'Checking for Mail' to complete - and pull up the two mails that had activated the Notifications.

Today (no Notification), I opened the app and it very swiftly checked and confirmed I had no email.

I've tried other mail apps and generally disliked how they thread / curate mail so given up on those. And I have found with Outlook that certain emails (for example, the NYT morning / evening reports) do not arrive in full, requiring another step to access the full body of the email. I'm going to put this down to limitations Apple throws at 3rd Party apps, but who knows...

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
MacOS mail back up to it's old tricks again, deleted emails popping back after deletion!!

Hi

I don’t have MacOS so don’t know the settings, etc. But I was having issues with deleted emails being in sync across my iPhone and iPad. Other than Inbox, no other mailbox was originally ticked. Since I’ve ticked the extra 3 mailboxes as per the screenshot below on both devices, I’ve had no issues, everything is in sync across my iPhone and iPad.

You could see if setting the settings as per my screenshot on all your devices helps. It might not be useful, but there’s no harm in trying 🙂.

4967D816-D50D-4D1C-97EE-6662A3AA92E5.jpeg

Reactions: GlenK

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
Still inconsistent and generally buggered.

Yesterday, I had notifications of new mail. Opened app, and of course they weren't there.

When I get notified of receiving an email I have found that:

1. If I exit the Mail app leaving it on the Mailboxes list, the email is always there and ready for me in the inbox when I click on the “Inbox”.
  2. However, if I exit the Mail app leaving it in the Inbox list, rather than going back to the Mailboxes list, then more often than not I have to wait a few seconds for the email to show in the list.
I have now got in the habit of leaving the Mail app in the following Mailbox list view on iPad:

465A3FCD-863B-4350-B942-19C75F2279F3.jpeg

And the following on iPhone:

69EAE80B-445B-4270-90A3-C873E9F2AFCD.jpeg

I shouldn’t need to leave it in that Mailboxes view of course, it used to work perfectly well on iOS 12 (and earlier) exiting the app and leaving it in the Inbox view, but it’s a workaround that works for me.

With that workaround, the only issue I have now with Mail.app is when an email automatically goes into the Junk mailbox but it’s been incorrectly sent there by the email provider. The Mail.app doesn’t give the option to mark the email as not junk, it inexplicably gives the option to move to junk. (I have reported it to Apple, but it’s still not been rectified.)

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018

1. If I exit the Mail app leaving it on the Mailboxes list, the email is always there and ready for me in the inbox when I click on the “Inbox”.
  2. However, if I exit the Mail app leaving it in the Inbox list, rather than going back to the Mailboxes list, then more often than not I have to wait a few seconds for the email to show in the list.
I have now got in the habit of leaving the Mail app in the following Mailbox list view on iPad:

View attachment 925642

View attachment 925643

I shouldn’t need to leave it in that Mailboxes view of course, it used to work perfectly well on iOS 12 (and earlier) exiting the app and leaving it in the Inbox view, but it’s a workaround that works for me.

With that workaround, the only issue I have now with Mail.app is when an email automatically goes into the Junk mailbox but it’s been incorrectly sent there by the email provider. The Mail.app doesn’t give the option to mark the email as not junk, it inexplicably gives the option to move to junk. (I have reported it to Apple, but it’s still not been rectified.)

Correct, can confirm at least on an iphone.

It's a display refresh error. The inbox displayed isnt refreshing if you are already in it. But from the mailbox list view and then click in, then it refreshes what is displayed

It seems like it SHOULD be so simple to fix.

Reactions: 13paul13

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012

View attachment 925642

View attachment 925643

Wow, very interesting. Came in the office this morning and read this and thought I would give it a try, and you are right. Leaving mail in Mailboxes view works. I may get rid of the Gmail app now for notifications.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I got the email today that my subscription to Airmail Pro is expiring Aug. 5. It brought a smile to my face. Worst $10 I have spent in a long time. Glad I can at least deny them my money...

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Toggling iOS Settings > Notifications > Mail > Allow Notifications from “On” to “Off” and then back to “On” does not bring back the earlier existing mail notifications to the notification centre.

Only the notifications for mail received after the toggle cycle (for Allow Notifications elaborated above) appear on the notification centre. The notifications for previously received but unread mails do not reappear on the notification centre after the toggle cycle.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Spent over an hour on live chat to Apple support, they were very slow in responding, and their only solution after passing me between two teams was to reset all settings. I've just done this with no improvement. The issue is getting worse as mail app now shows as empty when first opening, then checks for mail, populates emails already received after 10+ seconds then spends 30secs to a minute looking for new emails which are often an hour or two old. So fetch is now totally broken.

I backed up my phone yesterday and tried to restore it today after removing email addresses and re-adding to see if this fixed the issue, it didn't, and noticed that some important notes had been removed and not returned. The restore took 20mins then itunes said it's couldn't restore due to an error. So my backups are now not working.

Has iOS 13 made my phone obsolete?

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Does using the Outlook app, or the Gmail app for email, still allow the device to be fully integrated with Contacts and Calendar items? Even more so, for when wanting to share via iMessage or sharing in general?

At this rate, I might just start using my outlook.com email address, in the Outlook app or Gmail app. My concern is still having good access to Contacts and Calendar items on my Outlook.com email account.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Does using the Outlook app, or the Gmail app for email, still allow the device to be fully integrated with Contacts and Calendar items? Even more so, for when wanting to share via iMessage or sharing in general?

At this rate, I might just start using my outlook.com email address, in the Outlook app or Gmail app. My concern is still having good access to Contacts and Calendar items on my Outlook.com email account.

You'll need to set up a app-specific password for the Outlook app to access iCloud (mail, contacts, calendar) on your account via AppleID, but it does work. Does Outlook work any better than Mail on iOS? Debatable.

Reactions: circatee

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
You'll need to set up a app-specific password for the Outlook app to access iCloud (mail, contacts, calendar) on your account via AppleID, but it does work. Does Outlook work any better than Mail on iOS? Debatable.

I have been using Outlook in lieu of Mail on my iPhone since December 2019. “Better” is relative depending on what feature matters to you. Specifically the Notification capability is definitely better. I get notified instantly (faster than my desktop Outlook “toast” notification) of new mail. Notification of gmail is also instantaneous. When I open the app the mail is there and there is no wait for the view to refresh.

As a 3rd party mail app Outlook will always be somewhat crippled vs Mail. For example it has to use wkwebview (which is slow) to render the html body of the email. This is why you’ll see the “Read More” button in long emails within Outlook. Apple reserves the special “good” rendering engine for their own native apps. This is analogous to how 3rd party browsers have to use iOS rendering engine.

Reactions: circatee and Bazza1

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Does Outlook work any better than Mail on iOS? Debatable.

Including the great answer above, I will add that clicking the app icon into the inbox saying there is a new mail and sitting there not loading it until you click back to the mailbox view and back into inbox is getting REALLY old and annoying. Or having to force quit mail to get the new mail to display sitting there "spinning"

I would say ANY app works better in that sense that it displays new email without fuss. That bug since iOS13 is getting incredibly old not getting fixed.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
To answer the question of the title post here, I have had ZERO issues with the stock mail app on iOS 14 beta 1. Whatever their “fix” is for the mail app, just know that it gets better. I actually filed feedback THANKING them for fixing Mail.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
To answer the question of the title post here, I have had ZERO issues with the stock mail app on iOS 14 beta 1. Whatever their “fix” is for the mail app, just know that it gets better. I actually filed feedback THANKING them for fixing Mail.

I’ve been following the iOS 14 forum, and I’m sure I read the email not appearing in Inbox immediately is still an issue. I can recall someone saying it was working for them initially, but after a couple of days regressed back to the issue on iOS 13.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve been following the iOS 14 forum, and I’m sure I read the email not appearing in Inbox immediately is still an issue. I can recall someone saying it was working for them initially, but after a couple of days regressed back to the issue on iOS 13.

Well I for one have had zero issues with Mail on iOS 14, and I’ve been one of the vocal ones about Mail being junk. Sooo...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Does Outlook work any better than Mail on iOS? Debatable.

I had to ditch the Outlook app on my iPhone it was driving me mad. Whilst not related to the notifications issue it would

* change my display name automatically (I’d log in and it had changed)
* duplicate my emails (delete an email it makes 2 copies of it in trash or move an email you need to keep and it would make 2 copies of it in its folder)

Virgin is my ISP and IMAP was the setting but gradually over time (few days or couple of weeks) the above happens each time so had to get rid. Never found a fix. Shame as I have a paid Microsoft 365 subscription.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I have no idea what happens but MacOS mail is back to bringing back deleted emails. Been deleting them since 6am and they keep coming back. It's been working great so I know it's not settings. Just all of a sudden this starts happening then sometime today or overnight it will go back to working properly again. Tried Outlook and same thing happens.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Still rocking Dispatch Mail on my iPhone and iPad. It works beautifully in the background in iOS 13.5 and Im really happy that a 2013 app is still superior to Spark, Airmail, Mail, and [insert whatever you are using here].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.