Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicdesign

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2020
I am still suffering with mail issues. I noticed there is an extra smtp server listed (turned off) but there is no way for me to delete it.

Any suggestions on how I can remove it? There is no delete option...

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I am still suffering with mail issues. I noticed there is an extra smtp server listed (turned off) but there is no way for me to delete it.

Any suggestions on how I can remove it? There is no delete option...

Change mail clients.

magicdesign

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2020
Change mail clients.

I am having an issue with different providers including iCloud - so the issue is not account specific. I am wondering if the issue is with apple servers or a specific device (as it seems some people have no issues).

Reactions: GlenK

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
The mail app in iOS 13 holds the record as being the worst version in the history of iOS

I’m not sure how it works with email providers other than gmail but since gmail is ubiquitous there is simply no excuse why it would be anything but flawless. But the hits just keep on coming and over the last several days read emails are no longer updated to indicate as read

iOS 13 is the biggest crapfest Apple has ever unleashed and exhibit a as to why I am not looking forward to iOS 14 in any manner shape or form. the proof is in the pudding and to date the pudding tastes pretty awful.

I’m still rocking Sierra on my iMac and mail has been and continues to be flawless with Gmail

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I took the pragmatic way. What’s the real bad experience of not having apple’s iOS mail (and Mac mail app)? If any of these have unresolved issues for long time, why not just use the other giant’s email, Ms Outlook or Gmail? I think both have the same security (and non-privacy) level.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Has anyone gotten push Mail notifications on iOS 14 and WatchOS 7? Here we are with a new OS beta and like iOS 13, I am still not getting on screen notifications from the stock mail app. It boggles the mind that third party mail apps can properly send notifications and the stock app continues to fail me.

Reactions: thewhitehart

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Has anyone gotten push Mail notifications on iOS 14 and WatchOS 7? Here we are with a new OS beta and like iOS 13, I am still not getting on screen notifications from the stock mail app. It boggles the mind that third party mail apps can properly send notifications and the stock app continues to fail me.

I’m getting notifications for VIP mail alerts on iOS 14 and watchOS 7. In fact, the Mail app went from a useless pile of garbage in iOS 13 to “Hooray! Mail works again!” in iOS 14. For me, anyway.. I think about all that time it just didn’t work at all through all of those iOS 13 releases.. they got it right on the first beta of 14.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I’m getting notifications for VIP mail alerts on iOS 14 and watchOS 7. In fact, the Mail app went from a useless pile of garbage in iOS 13 to “Hooray! Mail works again!” in iOS 14. For me, anyway.. I think about all that time it just didn’t work at all through all of those iOS 13 releases.. they got it right on the first beta of 14.

I've read VIP always worked on iOS 13, but that generally speaking, iOS 14 mail isn't much better nor different compared to iOS 13. I'm not running iOS 14 though, so just passing along what I've read.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
iOS 14 Mail seems to be working well for me also. It blows my mind that it takes iOS 14 to fix it and they won't in iOS 13.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
One would think that so many complaints from enterprises with thousands of users impacted would spur Apple into action. We’re at 13.2.2 now, and very little has been done to address Mail bugs.

We’re actually at 13.6 as of today.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You must be living right. I haven’t seen a notification come across my phone or Apple Watch. Canary and Newton heaven been excellent in this area.

Reactions: gank41

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I’m on 14 DB 2. I toggled iCloud Keychain off and on for all of my devices (just something I haven’t tried) and reinstalled my mail account on each one. I’m now back to staring at the inbox telling me “1 unread” with nothing showing. I counted to 60 before giving up.

Disgusting. I really don’t know what to say anymore. I really don’t.

I’m questioning whether I should purchase a new iPhone when it can’t retrieve emails properly.

Reactions: tspear8183

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm on the iOS 14 Beta and so far Mail is working as it was previously on iOS 13 - I get notifications and when I open the Mail app there's a few seconds delay before the mail shows.

But Reminders is still broken. If I have a reminder pop up on my Mac and want to be reminded tomorrow instead, If I click 'Remind me tomorrow' on the Mac, the reminder still sits on the same date on the iPhone I set it to. It doesn't cut across to the iPhone.

EDIT: After a bit of research and testing, it seems this MIGHT be the way Reminders work. If so, it looks like the issue of new Reminders or amendments to Reminders not syncing from a Mac to iPhone MIGHT have been resolved! I'll test it over the next few days, but this morning all seems fine!

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, with the delay of seeing new emails in the default Mail app on iOS, I might consider switching to GMail.
But, I do like my Outlook.com email address. Decisions, decisions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmm, with the delay of seeing new emails in the default Mail app on iOS, I might consider switching to GMail.
But, I do like my Outlook.com email address. Decisions, decisions.
Gmail would't work any faster really, in fact it might be slower in terms of alerting you of new messages since it doesn't use push when it comes to the iOS Mail app (while Outlook does).

Reactions: circatee

pja2536

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Batemans Bay, Australia
I think it’s time to use Outlook or other apps instead of the Apple Mail app.

I've been helping a friend who uses Telstra/Bigpond (Australia's largest telco) as her mail server. For some time her MacBook Pro has been able to receive new mail but not send or reply - it just returns a server error message. When she uses her iPad(s) and iPhone, receiving AND sending/replying works fine. All the mail server settings on her Mac are correct. Telstra support was not able to resolve the issue, concluding that "…we have lots of problems with Apple Mail on Mac's…"

We recreated her account on my MacBook Air and it works fine!

We downloaded Spark ( https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1176895641 ) as part of the problem resolution process. It works fine! She can now send and receive!

I don't understand why the problem existed on her Mac but not on mine. Corrupted file perhaps. But it was not something we could fix.

Changing to an alternative email client was easy and solved the problem!

Stay safe,
Peter

Reactions: Blue Hawk

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I've been helping a friend who uses Telstra/Bigpond (Australia's largest telco) as her mail server. For some time her MacBook Pro has been able to receive new mail but not send or reply - it just returns a server error message. When she uses her iPad(s) and iPhone, receiving AND sending/replying works fine. All the mail server settings on her Mac are correct. Telstra support was not able to resolve the issue, concluding that "…we have lots of problems with Apple Mail on Mac's…"

We downloaded Spark ( https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1176895641 ) as part of the problem resolution process. It works fine! She can now send and receive!

I don't understand why the problem existed on her Mac but not on mine. Corrupted file perhaps. But it was not something we could fix.

Stay safe,
Peter
I gave up Outlook too because it stopped loading my malls. I’m using Spark now.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm on the iOS 14 Beta and so far Mail is working as it was previously on iOS 13 - I get notifications and when I open the Mail app there's a few seconds delay before the mail shows.

But Reminders is still broken. If I have a reminder pop up on my Mac and want to be reminded tomorrow instead, If I click 'Remind me tomorrow' on the Mac, the reminder still sits on the same date on the iPhone I set it to. It doesn't cut across to the iPhone.

EDIT: After a bit of research and testing, it seems this MIGHT be the way Reminders work. If so, it looks like the issue of new Reminders or amendments to Reminders not syncing from a Mac to iPhone MIGHT have been resolved! I'll test it over the next few days, but this morning all seems fine!

And NO! It isn't fully resolved. Sometimes Reminders sync seamlessly. Sometime they sync terribly (times of the actual reminders change by a few minutes). And sometimes they don't sync at all!

Come on Apple! I thought things were just supposed to work!!!

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I’m on iOS 14 dev. Beta 3, and no, the issues with mail are not fully resolved. There’s still a delay, and if it’s a few seconds, I don’t mind, but not ten seconds or more. This isn’t 1996.

Plus either my iPad or iPhone just decides when it’s no longer going to update the badge count.

I thought software was supposed to do what you tell it, not whatever it wants randomly. And yes, I know it’s a beta. This has been happening all throughout iOS 13.

Reactions: scouser75

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Curious, did you happen to create a new user profile on her Mac? Considering you setup her email account on your device and it worked, my theory of a new profile on her Mac should work, too.

Stay safe,
Peter

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I’m on iOS 14 dev. Beta 3, and no, the issues with mail are not fully resolved. There’s still a delay, and if it’s a few seconds, I don’t mind, but not ten seconds or more. This isn’t 1996.

Plus either my iPad or iPhone just decides when it’s no longer going to update the badge count.

I thought software was supposed to do what you tell it, not whatever it wants randomly. And yes, I know it’s a beta. This has been happening all throughout iOS 13.
Absolutely agree. I said the same thing before about not minding to wait a few seconds to wait for mail to drop. It's not like 10 seconds is gonna make any difference!!! But Reminders is a whole new issue and they haven't worked since the beginning of iOS 13. Surely a tech company can resolve something like this!!!!

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
The only way I seem to be able to improve mail's performance is to close the app after each use. Pain in the butt but I've been doing it so long now it's a natural move.

Reactions: circatee

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

The lagginess (is that a word?) in Mail started sometime during the 12.x period.

My XS shipped with 12.1 or 12.2, and everything was bam-bam-bam.

Updated to 12.4, and open Mail…a few seconds pass…"Checking for mail"…a few more seconds…downloading mail…before finally displaying new mail.

I also have push turned off, and have set every available setting to make rettriving mail a manual process. Yet, every once in a blue moon, Mail feels the need to fetch mail on its own volition.

I don't rely on email, or Mail, on my phone, but when I use it, it's still frustrating. I can't imagine how those who do deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.