Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks. Mine don't even sync on wifi. They're broken full stop.
I'm sorry to hear this happening and how frustrating it must be. I'm happy to help you troubleshoot if you need it. I imagine by now you've done all the recommended steps on your iPhone and Mac including ensuring both are on the current versions. According to Apple, "Upgraded reminders aren't compatible with earlier versions of iOS or macOS. Shared reminders are also not accessible to users with earlier versions of iOS and macOS, until they upgrade." (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203521). I noticed on another thread you mentioned your Mac Pro is on El Capitan. Is it a factor with the syncing issue? I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: scouser75

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I’m convinced this is an issue with the iCloud Mail service itself, not the actual Mail app. For anyone else having issues with the stock Mail app, is it your iCloud account that’s having issues or another service? And if it is your iCloud account, have you had your mail account since the old @mac.com days? Still using @me.com instead of @icloud.com? I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the naming of the domain, “me.com” or “mac.com” as opposed to “iCloud.com”

I don't use the iCloud Mail, the only thing I use for iCloud is Notes, Safari, and News.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm sorry to hear this happening and how frustrating it must be. I'm happy to help you troubleshoot if you need it. I imagine by now you've done all the recommended steps on your iPhone and Mac including ensuring both are on the current versions. According to Apple, "Upgraded reminders aren't compatible with earlier versions of iOS or macOS. Shared reminders are also not accessible to users with earlier versions of iOS and macOS, until they upgrade." (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203521). I noticed on another thread you mentioned your Mac Pro is on El Capitan. Is it a factor with the syncing issue? I don't know.
Hi Namara, thank you for your offer of help. You're right, I've tried almost everything to resolve the Reminders issue. But I think this is something I may just have to live with.

I haven't upgraded reminders app as I'm still on El Capitan. But I don't think this is the issue as guys who are on the latest OS are also having the same issue.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Mail does work for me since weeks. What I’ve done:

- Delete all Mail accounts in settings
- Disable Mail in iCloud
- Delete Mail app
- Restart iPhone
- Download Apple Mail
- Open the Mail App and close it from the switcher again
- Enable Mail for iCloud in settings
- Add your email accounts in settings

Since I’ve done that the Mail App works. I hope it will stay so

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I’m convinced this is an issue with the iCloud Mail service itself, not the actual Mail app. For anyone else having issues with the stock Mail app, is it your iCloud account that’s having issues or another service? And if it is your iCloud account, have you had your mail account since the old @mac.com days? Still using @me.com instead of @icloud.com? I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the naming of the domain, “me.com” or “mac.com” as opposed to “iCloud.com”

Depends on the issue.
iCloud is the most problematic - was a me.com account). However I am also having major to minor issues with Exchange, Gmail, MSN (old MSN.com account). Some of the issues are all accounts.
[automerge]1591384964[/automerge]
Mail does work for me since weeks. What I’ve done:

- Delete all Mail accounts in settings
- Disable Mail in iCloud
- Delete Mail app
- Restart iPhone
- Download Apple Mail
- Open the Mail App and close it from the switcher again
- Enable Mail for iCloud in settings
- Add your email accounts in settings

Since I’ve done that the Mail App works. I hope it will stay so

Tried this and it worked for a while (except Exchange). Over time all the issues came back.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, I’ve tried removing all of my accounts in settings and then deleting the Mail app, rebooting, reinstalling the Mail app & adding my accounts back again. Same. After some arbitrary amount of time all the same issues come back again.

I actually just restored my phone yesterday and I know there’s always the “churn” for a few days afterwards where everything gets indexed again and whatnot. I will say, though, that when I checked my email on my iPhone this morning, the old “Checking for Mail” was there and .... not really checking my mail? I checked on my Mac and there was 4 new emails that had come in many hours prior. Not showing on my phone. The Mail app is garbage.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I really do think I need to stop spending time trying to resolve this issue and just wait for the next iOS in hope that it's resolved then! But I will try Rhonindk's instructions and if that doesn't work, will definitely live with Mail and Reminders as it is.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Why are you all even bothering with the Mail app? It’s pure garbage, and there are a plethora of better alternatives out there. Outlook, Spark, etc..

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Why are you all even bothering with the Mail app? It’s pure garbage, and there are a plethora of better alternatives out there. Outlook, Spark, etc..

Every email app on iOS has problems.

Mail = no share sheet except for the backwards ass make a pdf "feature" that you still cannot share to ominifocus, no textexpander support

Outlook = no share sheet, no textexpander support.

Airmail = broken url schemes for 2 years and the developers keep piling garbage "features" that nobody wants instead of fixing the url schemes, no textexpander support, but it has a share sheet

Edison = everyone is reading your mail, no textexpander support

Spark = cluttered and problems with 2FA exchange accounts, no textexpander support, but has a share sheet

Dispatch = developer missing in action for 2+ years ignoring bug fix requests, textexpander fill-ins broken but has a share sheet

Reactions: dk001

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Every email app on iOS has problems.

Mail = no share sheet except for the backwards ass make a pdf "feature" that you still cannot share to ominifocus, no textexpander support

Outlook = no share sheet, no textexpander support.

Airmail = broken url schemes for 2 years and the developers keep piling garbage "features" that nobody wants instead of fixing the url schemes, no textexpander support, but it has a share sheet

Edison = everyone is reading your mail, no textexpander support

Spark = cluttered and problems with 2FA exchange accounts, no textexpander support, but has a share sheet

Dispatch = developer missing in action for 2+ years ignoring bug fix requests, textexpander fill-ins broken but has a share sheet
I don’t see how Spark is “cluttered”. It’s got the nicest and simplest interface of any mail app I’ve used. Not sure about the 2FA Exchange accounts as I don’t use it. I could see how that could be a problem for Exchange users though. Plus, as you’ve just pointed out, nothing supports textexpander and I don’t think that’s an issue for 99.99% of people.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I don’t see how Spark is “cluttered”. It’s got the nicest and simplest interface of any mail app I’ve used. Not sure about the 2FA Exchange accounts as I don’t use it. I could see how that could be a problem for Exchange users though. Plus, as you’ve just pointed out, nothing supports textexpander and I don’t think that’s an issue for 99.99% of people.

I guess I forgot my summary at the end. The "cluttered" refers to the calendar and teams integration that I do not like. However, Spark is the best of the bunch and it will probably replace Airmail on my iPhone when my subscription expires because the spark url schemes work. I will have to use Mail for the 2FA account tho but some investigation yesterday revealed that the issue is not Spark's fault. my school does not allow app specific passwords so we are locked into mail or outlook.

As far as textexpander goes, it's ridiculous for any app that handles text to not have textexpander support. textexpander fill-in templates make complicated emails a breeze on the iPhone. This made Dispatch the best email app of all time imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: madrigal77

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Personally I wont ever be giving my data to an indie developer after the Edison debacle. How fast your data can fall into the wrong hands with other users able to read all of your mail. Now imagine if that person meant harm and password reset your accounts, or worse like your banking/investment accounta and started logging into that transferring money out.

Readdle isnt immune to this happening using the same nonsense sync account on their server. And if that type of bug happened and wasnt caught, DESPITE having beta testers too, how secure are their servers from a hacker where your email flows through?

I would trust the big guns like Gmail, Outlook, etc have enough development money that these issues dont arise (nor do you need some proprietary sync account to use their apps)

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Personally I wont ever be giving my data to an indie developer after the Edison debacle. How fast your data can fall into the wrong hands with other users able to read all of your mail. Now imagine if that person meant harm and password reset your accounts, or worse like your banking/investment accounta and started logging into that transferring money out.

Readdle isnt immune to this happening using the same nonsense sync account on their server. And if that type of bug happened and wasnt caught, DESPITE having beta testers too, how secure are their servers from a hacker where your email flows through?

I would trust the big guns like Gmail, Outlook, etc have enough development money that these issues dont arise (nor do you need some proprietary sync account to use their apps)

but iOS Mail and Outlook are both garbage apps with no share sheet. The people that use them are usually the ones that have 2k+ unread emails in their badge..

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
but iOS Mail and Outlook are both garbage apps with no share sheet. The people that use them are usually the ones that have 2k+ unread emails in their badge..

So the solution is to give away access to your personal sensitive data (nothing more sensitive than email with password resets) to indie developers who have proven not to give 2 rats rears what happens to it? Okkkkkkk.....sure makes perfect sense.?

200.gif

doesnt cut it for me.

Sorry no 2000+ emails here; 0 unread. Dont send emails to other apps either so sharesheet is irrelevant here. Run 8 accounts just fine and 2 businesses with the Mail app. To insinuate only dull soccer moms non-techies use Mail with thousands of unread email is laughable at best. Hundreds of millions use it and do business with it.

Not the best by any stretch (I would agree Spark gets closest for pure email, but its missing a good calendar portion like Outlook) but done trusting small devs; if Edison taught us anything at all (Which some clearly not still using it)

And I do/have beta tested all of those apps:
  • Spark
  • Edison (not anymore after the debacle, no interest left in the app and it wasnt anything special before)
  • Outlook
  • Airmail (stopped when the app went subscription and just is junky coded anyway)
with a junk email account for years now; nothing there except junk mail so no data to lose or about me. So I have plenty of context what is what

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
If I understand this correctly, there is no sync issue of email notification, email notification icon and email delivery, if using the Outlook app?

The issue is primarily with the iOS built in mail, no?

Now that I am not working, I might have to consider the Outlook app.
Alas, what to do when I go back to work (I like to keep personal email and work emails in separate locations)...

Reactions: compwiz1202

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
So the solution is to give away access to your personal sensitive data (nothing more sensitive than email with password resets) to indie developers who have proven not to give 2 rats rears what happens to it? Okkkkkkk.....sure makes perfect sense.

I consider google to be the epitome of evil in the tech industry and they have my data as I use gmail and google voice. So I guess I don't really care.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Not sure if this is the thread for this but I stupidly updated my iphone 7 plus with iOS 13.5.1 from iOS 12. I will get notifications and badges for mail saying that I have new mail but when I go into the mail app there is nothing there. It can take 5-8 seconds for the new mail to show up or I have to manually refresh it to get the new mail to show up.

So what's the fix for this crap, please?

I have Gmail and Yahoo email addresses. It has this issue for notifications from Twitter etc.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Not sure if this is the thread for this but I stupidly updated my iphone 7 plus with iOS 13.5.1 from iOS 12. I will get notifications and badges for mail saying that I have new mail but when I go into the mail app there is nothing there. It can take 5-8 seconds for the new mail to show up or I have to manually refresh it to get the new mail to show up.

So what's the fix for this crap, please?

I have Gmail and Yahoo email addresses. It has this issue for notifications from Twitter etc.

There is not one at this time. This has been an issue throughout iOS 13 and many have posted feedback to Apple on it.

Reactions: gank41 and jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.