Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Outlook is a good replacement but limited in some ways. For example Outlook cannot sync contacts that are in subfolders.
Also, I find that there is no way to collapse threads on outlook like apple mail. Also many other threading features are not available on outlook like most recent message on top and complete threads and so on. And, it has been years people have been asking for these from Microsoft and they are silent.

Sorry not complaining against outlook, just saying that it is missing some crucial features.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I'm having an annoying iOS13 Mail issue that I have can not find mentioned here (though I just searched and have not read every post).

I use multiple mail accounts and the messages in those accounts do not disappear when toggled off. For instance I often toggle off in Accounts my business (Exchange) account in the evening as I want that completely out of mind. I find that while I do not receive new messages when toggled off, the current messages stay in my combined inbox view staring me in the face. If I click on a message it won't pull up, but I can still see the preview in my inbox. This was never an issue before iOS13.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Do the messages download ahead of time or do you still have to open the app and manually refresh sometimes?

The only mail I have set to push is a business Exchange account. It seems to download in the background just fine now.
[automerge]1574200772[/automerge]
Yeah except not with companies that have additional security requirements such as remote wipe and encryption. Then Mail is your only option.

Exactly, same situation here.

Last edited:

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Outlook is a good replacement but limited in some ways. For example Outlook cannot sync contacts that are in subfolders.
Also, I find that there is no way to collapse threads on outlook like apple mail. Also many other threading features are not available on outlook like most recent message on top and complete threads and so on. And, it has been years people have been asking for these from Microsoft and they are silent.

Sorry not complaining against outlook, just saying that it is missing some crucial features.
This....
Plus "VIP" including notifications, remote wipe, encryption, etc.....

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
What was Apple trying to do when they were mucking around with the Mail app? Was there some grand new idea they were trying to implement? Or did they just decide they had found a better way to do things than what we already liked and were used to?

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I think they couldn't fix previous mail bugs so they decided we are going mess up with this so badly that users can switch to an alternative app. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sgt93

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The day I started using my iPhone Pro 11 (at launch) I stopped getting some of my e-mails. My iPhone XS which should still be receiving mail had a message that there was a problem in settings and stopped getting any e-mail from that day until I recycled it. The missing e-mails that I know of came regularly from Medscape and my stock company. I got a message from one of the Stocks that said while I elected to receive notices by e-mail, I put their mail in my spam folder. Nothing has ever showed up in Junk mail. One good thing was I stopped getting a lot of regular junk mail and daily mail from companies I purchase something online from.

I took the phone to Apple, Xfinity (I have Comcast e-mail) and Verison (I have a Verizon phone) with no answer for the problem. I contacted Medscape and the Stock company and was essentially told that the problem was at my end. These e-mails are also missing from my MacBook Pro and iPad. I've gone through all mail settings on the phone and everything is as it should be confirmed by Apple and Xfinity. I'm just hoping I don't miss something important that should have come by e-mail.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
Still no notifications for me on 11.2.3 with a gmail account. I’ll stick with the gmail app. ☹️

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Well, still giving me one issue with the latest 13.3 b3 - iCloud account does not always refresh. All else in mail seems fixed - for me that is. Have to force close the app, wait a few seconds, then reopen anti will once again says for a while. An hour or so later the same thing happens, so rinse & repeat. Strange thing is that the other mail account is an Exchange one for work, and that is working almost perfectly. How many revisions have there been since 13.0 release? And it is still not right........

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The day I started using my iPhone Pro 11 (at launch) I stopped getting some of my e-mails. My iPhone XS which should still be receiving mail had a message that there was a problem in settings and stopped getting any e-mail from that day until I recycled it. The missing e-mails that I know of came regularly from Medscape and my stock company. I got a message from one of the Stocks that said while I elected to receive notices by e-mail, I put their mail in my spam folder. Nothing has ever showed up in Junk mail. One good thing was I stopped getting a lot of regular junk mail and daily mail from companies I purchase something online from.

I took the phone to Apple, Xfinity (I have Comcast e-mail) and Verison (I have a Verizon phone) with no answer for the problem. I contacted Medscape and the Stock company and was essentially told that the problem was at my end. These e-mails are also missing from my MacBook Pro and iPad. I've gone through all mail settings on the phone and everything is as it should be confirmed by Apple and Xfinity. I'm just hoping I don't miss something important that should have come by e-mail.

I had basically the same problem with my corporate Exchange email, but the reason I found out about it is that the emails were downloading on my laptop. That's a horrible problem with corporate email, and although Mail is behaving better now (13.2 and later), I am still having problems really trusting Mail with iOS 13.

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Not if your organization doesn't use office365. Our servers are exchange based with active sync. For security and confidentiality reasons we can not use a cloud based email server. Here is an article explaining some of the differences. https://www.algorithminc.com/blog/microsoft-exchange-2016-vs.-office-365-email-showdown

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Hint: go back and read the first link.
Hint: I did. Maybe you missed this part:
Exchange ActiveSync enables administrators to remotely wipe devices, such as if they become compromised or lost/stolen. With Outlook for iOS and Android, a remote wipe is done on the Outlook app itself, and does not trigger a full device wipe.

After the remote wipe command is requested by the administrator, the wipe happens within seconds of the Outlook app's next connection to Exchange. The Outlook app will reset and all Outlook email, calendar, contacts, and files data will be removed from the device, as well as from the Outlook service. The wipe will not affect any of the user's personal apps and information outside of Outlook.

it only wipes outlook data which does not work for our organization. They utilize exchange active sync that allows for the entire device to be wiped and only can use the mail app with a certain profile installed. It is not compatible with outlook. There are many large corporations that will not allow outlook or other email clients to be used due to security and encryption protocols. I wish this wasn’t the case but it is For our company.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Hint: I did.

No you didn't because that limitation is identical for both O365 and on-prem. It has nothing to do with O365 specifically.

If you need full device wipe, your company should have invested in a MDM solution, not trying to get one for free by using a very old EAS feature. (This has been around since at least Exchange 2007)

If your company is still too cheap to buy MDM, yet claims to be concerned about cloud security (they obviously don't know what they're talking about at this point), nothing stops you from using Outlook mobile in parallel with native EAS.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
No you didn't because that limitation is identical for both O365 and on-prem. It has nothing to do with O365 specifically.

If you need full device wipe, your company should have invested in a MDM solution, not trying to get one for free by using a very old EAS feature. (This has been around since at least Exchange 2007)

If your company is still too cheap to buy MDM, yet claims to be concerned about cloud security (they obviously don't know what they're talking about at this point), nothing stops you from using Outlook mobile in parallel with native EAS.

Sorry, but none of this is an excuse for the default Mail app to not work as advertised. Workarounds or not - the standard Mail app should simply do what it is supposed to do.

Our company allows you to bring your own devices, and they don't have MDM. Their compromise is the remote wipe and encryption. This worked well until iOs13 came along.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Sorry, but none of this is an excuse for the default Mail app to not work as advertised. Workarounds or not - the standard Mail app should simply do what it is supposed to do.

Our company allows you to bring your own devices, and they don't have MDM. Their compromise is the remote wipe and encryption. This worked well until iOs13 came along.

No one is disagreeing that it should "just work." Ive never heard someone say they are ok with the broken Mail app.

But you have 2 options here, complain about it with no one listening or find a solution/workaround; which people are trying to suggest here (and to propose to everyones' IT to use a different method if there a lot of iOS13 devices with people having issues) Apple simply seems genuinely not interested in fixing it fully at this point this many releases in. In terms of WWDC beta to beta, we are basically halfway to iOS14 beta 1 already from iOS13 beta 1 and it is still in this bad of a state.

Movie quotes are often accurate snippets of real life, and as Denzel said "Do you wanna go to jail, or do you wanna go home" Similarly, you have 2 sole options here- deal with it as is since you cannot force Apple's hand, or find a workaround (or with your IT if that is the hangup). There is no choice C.

Someone has suggested workaround(s) that is the best any of us can possibly do who aren't Apple employees/engineers. There is nothing anyone else can do here no matter how many times posts come of its broken or x/y/z isnt working.

Last edited:

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ

I agree. I use Outlook for a business email account and simply would not want to use it as my main mail app.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
At first, 13.2.3 made my Mail problems worse. No push or badge count at all when at least the badge count was updating under 13.2.2.

This time I deleted Mail and my account, did a hard reset, and then reinstalled Mail and re-added my account. However, instead of adding the account via the Settings app, I added it directly from the Mail app. Push is now working properly again. It’s the first time I tried that.

However, it’s only been six hours. I noticed that none of the apps have refreshed themselves in RAM. Safari’s state has been saved. Perhaps a refresh in RAM may have something to do with the Mail app forgetting to continue pushing messages.

I’m not expecting a miracle. Seven iterations of iOS 13, and this hasn’t been fixed, even though Apple says it has. What a joke.

Nope! Messages still not appearing in inbox without manual refresh. It’s not clear to me what they did to resolve problems fetching mail.

What a royal embarrassment for Apple. This problem has been present since the very first developer beta.

Time to use Spark or Outlook. I feel sorry for those of you using Exchange who are stuck with this sorry excuse of an e-mail app. And for the Apple engineers having to deal with piss-poor management.

Last edited:
Reactions: tspear8183

cflem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
It’s completely AWFUL that mail is STILL this messed up. I just cant fathom why. I’m not a developer... can any one that is really into code shed ANY light on why something that “seems” so simple - is so jacked up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.