Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
XS Max - 13.3 PB2
After using it for less than a day, most of the issues I was seeing under the previous version with Mail continue to exist under this new version. The only confirmed fix so far is mass delete of Junk folder.
Issues noted so far:
Default view will shift from Unread to All though if I default to a specific account it will stay there
Badge says one thing, amount of unread in app says another. A manual refresh or waiting for up to 60 seconds seems to align all - with app open.
A manual refresh is needed at times to have all unread emails show.
Email delete from Unread inbox showed back up (just one instance so far).

Will update as others surface.

Reactions: Sgt93

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Has anyone tried re setting their phone as new and then re installing the mail account? I have seen on other sites that this is one of the recommended "fixes" but don't really want to go to all the trouble unless it really works. Anyone?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Has anyone tried re setting their phone as new and then re installing the mail account? I have seen on other sites that this is one of the recommended "fixes" but don't really want to go to all the trouble unless it really works. Anyone?

I did that several betas ago. It helped with some and uncovered others - bugs.
Overall, it was a pita and would not recommend it just for Mail. If you are having other issues, it might be an option to consider.
JMTC ;)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Yeah...several times...was about as effective as swinging a dead cat overhead while wearing a garland of garlic cloves. Have been considering driving a stake into the iPhone or perhaps firing a silver bullet into it. TL;DR: was a waste of time.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Yeah...several times...was about as effective as swinging a dead cat overhead while wearing a garland of garlic cloves. Have been considering driving a stake into the iPhone or perhaps firing a silver bullet into it. TL;DR: was a waste of time.
Thanks for the information!
[automerge]1573740148[/automerge]
I did that several betas ago. It helped with some and uncovered others - bugs.
Overall, it was a pita and would not recommend it just for Mail. If you are having other issues, it might be an option to consider.
JMTC ;)
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: thewhitehart

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I tried this:
  1. Deleted the Mail app
  2. Deleted my mail accounts, except the iCloud account but I don't use iCloud mail so it was off
  3. I connected my iPad to my Mac and using the Console app could see the iPad was cleaning up mail caches
  4. I left it alone for a few hours do its housekeeping - removing caches etc
  5. re-installed the Mail app
  6. Added my Exchange account back (no other ones yet, but Exchange was the problem one)
  7. Working well so far

i think step 3 can be skipped, but maybe this helps others too
13.3b2

Reactions: thewhitehart

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
For me, I haven't been experiencing any of the issues as mentioned in this thread though I just use iCloud mail with no other accounts.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
For me, I haven't been experiencing any of the issues as mentioned in this thread though I just use iCloud mail with no other accounts.

I don’t have any other accounts that I use either; like many on this thread.

My teenage son who never uses email, but has an iCloud on his new 11 wasn’t having issues, however; he now is. The issues just took a while to act up.

Reactions: zinacef

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
For me a new version of issues has shown up. I read a new message or delete it and go back to mail and it shows up again as new? Weird

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I don’t have any other accounts that I use either; like many on this thread.

My teenage son who never uses email, but has an iCloud on his new 11 wasn’t having issues, however; he now is. The issues just took a while to act up.

Well, I'm hoping I don't start seeing these issues being mentioned. I really don't want to go back to Gmail. :(

rywat

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
FWIW, iOS 13.3 beta 2 finally seems to have made some progress with the Mail app for me. Specifically, my two email accounts (gmail and exchange) are syncing emails faster (rather than getting stuck at "checking for mail" for a long time), and when I tap a notification, it actually takes me to the corresponding email about 90% of the time rather than just loading my previous place in the app.

That said, I hope this isn't just a fluke so far, and that they continue to improve it until it regains pre-iOS 13 reliability!

Reactions: Sgt93

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Well that didn't last long. Mail broken again. Funny enough it works flawlessly on my iPhone.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Well that didn't last long. Mail broken again. Funny enough it works flawlessly on my iPhone.

Did you ever have issues on your iPhone or just the iPad? Mail on my phone is complete dumpster fire. Freezes when searching, freezes when filtering, freezes when selecting, deleted emails re-appear, good times all around. It's my work phone so I am looking for any fix.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Did you ever have issues on your iPhone or just the iPad? Mail on my phone is complete dumpster fire. Freezes when searching, freezes when filtering, freezes when selecting, deleted emails re-appear, good times all around. It's my work phone so I am looking for any fix.

The iPhone has been flawless all this time. It's Exchange on my iPad. Both devices fairly recently restored from a backup. I am trying to figure out what is different between the two but I can't see it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Mail has been fixed for me for a while now, no more issues. It was by far the worst early on, but good now.

Do you have one or more Exchange email accounts active?

Do you remember when it started acting as expected? IIRC, my mail issues started improving with 13.2. They're still not perfectly reliable, though, which is a huge issue for work-related email.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
For a while there, Mail was working fine for me. Now on 13.3 beta 2, it's back to showing I have messages, but they don't load until I open the app and refresh. Great.

Reactions: tspear8183

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Do you have one or more Exchange email accounts active?

Do you remember when it started acting as expected? IIRC, my mail issues started improving with 13.2. They're still not perfectly reliable, though, which is a huge issue for work-related email.

I have one iCloud and one Exchange account. I can’t pinpoint exactly but I think it was one of the 13.2 betas where it started to work as expected. I’m on 13.3 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.