Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I picked up an iPad mini recently as a total splurge purchase. I'm one of those weirdos who CAN fit a device like this into his day to day workflows, even though I own the iPhone 13 Pro Max and an M1 MacBook Air, so I went for it and got a fully loaded model and even went ahead and added it to my Verizon plan. I have to just come right out and say that this device has been an absolute revelation for me and I feel it deserves some major praise and positivity.

To be clear, I can work fine in iPadOS or macOS for most things. I love Macs, I love iPads. Give me a modern version of either one, and either one will power through any of the things I ever do with a computer. I'm not here to argue about which one is better for which things or which model is better for who. Different strokes and what have you. Do your thing.

I think, though, that there is something special about this new mini. I know people have their gripes about the screen quality or don't think tablets this small are useful anymore, but I think those people might be wrong, because this is a "digital sketchbook" like I've never had before, not even in the iPad Pro. I don't even mean that in the sense of just being a small, light object you can sketch on or just jot things down for later. That's all there too, but I mean in the sense of it being a 21st Century reimagining of what a sketchbook even is: a thin, light, portable computer that you can slip in a hoodie pocket or bag as a more enjoyable or versatile stand in for your iPhone or Mac or gigantic iPad Pro.

The redesign is really what made this all possible--the Pencil 2 support, USB-C connection, and removal of all the chin and forehead space made this device the modern day sketchbook I always hoped it would be, and has also changed the way I use my iPhone and Mac YET AGAIN. It's definitely a device I feel I can take somewhere INSTEAD of my phone or MacBook in some situations, it can plug into my USB-C monitor and used with my keyboard and mouse, it can be my e-book, my newspaper, my conference room, etc. all in that tiny chassis. It has the power for all that.

I feel like I finally got the iPad mini I've been waiting for. I can see hanging on to this thing for years and am super pleased with it so far. Anyone else just absolutely thrilled with this thing? Again, no need to reply with iPad hate or trolling. I actively ignore that drama these days.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I am also happy with mine also, and glad someone else has added it to their arsenal of tech! I also have the 11" ipad pro and still got the mini as it is nice to throw in my jacket pocket and bring everywhere especially with the added cellular connection. The mini is certainly underrated because of the size, but it really does hit a sweet spot of occasionally wanting something bigger than the largest iphone, but still easily portable. I love to use mine at work like on lunch and watch content and still have my phone to communicate with people and the added apple pencil 2 support was amazing.

On a side note i got the ESR magnetic case for mine which makes carrying around a little easier since the closing flap can either magnetically close with or without the pencil charging.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
For me it is the perfect complement to my 12.9. It has totally replaced my phone for reading eBooks, light web browsing, emails, FaceTime and YouTube. It is perfect note-taking size.

My 12.9 is more for word processing, multitasking, annotating PDFs and research. Although because of Mini LED I do enjoy watching streaming content on the Pro.

Sometimes I use them side-by-side, with the Mini as an extra screen while the Pro is in split view, or the Mini for a video call while I consult information on the Pro.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I think it’s absolutely amazing. I’ve been using mine when commuting and then plugging into a hdmi monitor and using with mouse/keyboard at work. It really feels like a proper computer now. Today i plugged it into an old 30” Cinema Display and copied something off an old usb stick! I can do 90% of my work on this with most of the old iPad frustrations gone... we’ll done apple

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
So is the Jelly Scroll effect on the iPad mini 6 a major issue?
I only really see it in mine if I scroll fast, but I rarely feel the need to scroll fast enough to see it. When I do see it, it doesn't bother me personally, I always will recommend someone try it at a store that has it before buying it (I know everyone has a return policy) because it really is hard to tell if it would bother you just reading peoples comments online or even through video like youtube

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I think some people are more sensitive to it than others so for them it definitely could be a major issue - I wouldn't just dismiss it even though it doesn't bother me in the least. Like fingernails on a blackboard - it drives some people absolutely bonkers, others it doesn't.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
It's my favorite Apple Device in the past year and my 5G Cellular version is my constant companion and permanently a part of my EDC. I use it more often than my iPhone 13 mini, which was my plan.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I've always said that the appearance to ones (my) eyes of the refresh rate (60Hz) is way more noticeable than the effects of jelly scrolling. So if, you're OK with non-promotion displays, you shouldn't be bothered by the jelly scrolling. However, if you are, you should probably get a pro.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
I've been very impressed with mine after using an Air for a year or so. The smaller form factor makes it far easier to just pick and use, I honestly didn't think it would make a huge difference but I find myself using it WAY more often than my "old" Air. The screen seems a bit worse somehow but since I mostly use it for reading, watching stuff, and occasionally fiddling with Lightroom I don't really notice it - the colours and brightness (indoors) are both perfectly fine.

Personally I didn't bother with the cellular model since I don't often go out with it, and when I do I always have my phone with me so I can just hot spot off that. I figured saving a few taps every now and then isn't worth the extra $$.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I definitely want to pick one up eventually. I was scared off initially because of jelly scrolling, but I had my Pro already too to keep me happy.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about picking up one of these.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I'm curious: Has anyone bought the cellular version and used it in their car as a music/navigation device?
I got the cell model and have been able to test it out in the wild a bit. Works great. I don't use it specifically as that though, as we have CarPlay. Would be really cool to find a mount for it in our other car that doesn't have CarPlay though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.