Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Careful with that. I tried that route and ended up going back to the Pro Max as I found the Pro too hard to type on (large hands). I actually find a Pro Max and Mini phone pairing to be more useful now, but I've never been a heavy tablet user despite multiple attempts.
Good point, I don't have large hands (to give a visual I am a 5'5" male) and before I upgraded to the 13 Pro Max, I had the 11 Pro and I did find typing easier and I was really missing the screen size, but that was before I got the mini 6. I may still get the 14 Pro Max soley due to the screen quality of the mini in comparison and showing pictures to family and what not will be more pleasing to the eye technically from the pro lineup in comparison to the mini especially when outdoors where for me is the only lacking thing of the mini

Reactions: nealibob

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Google Voice is my favored VOIP app. It works very well. A bonus that particularly draws me to it is that it also works as well with the ObiHai device, which makes GV work with home landline connections and phones too (and alarm systems and even fax machine for that increasingly rare need). In short: when my cell "phone" (iPad Mini 6) rings, my home phones ring too. I can answer on either. ObiHai is flexible and can work with other VOIP options too but I don't view Google so negatively and this combination "just works" to perfection for my phone needs (mobile, home, alarm and occasional fax). Since GV has calls to US and Canada for free, my (home) phone bill is $0. Rates to other countries are pretty cheap but there's always FaceTime/Skype, etc for those.

I also sometimes use a non-Google app called Talkatone, which works just as well for both mobile calls and texts.

Further back in time I had Comcast Voice service and their VOIP app worked very well too (texts and voice) but GV and Talkatone are free vs. Comcast loving to raise prices over time.

Just like every other kind of app, there are MANY VOIP apps available beyond those. Shop, try some and find a favorite.

Caution: I don't have Watch but am under the impression that Watch really, really, REALLY needs to be married to an iPhone. So if Watch is important, this option of iPad as phone too may not work for you... or perhaps some functionality may not work. Better explore that if thinking about this.
Thanks.

I don't trust Google and I won't use anything from them that requires a login. You are correct that the Apple Watch needs a phone but that might change in the future. I don't use the cellular enough to really worry about it anyway—it is just a minor convenience.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thanks.

I don't trust Google and I won't use anything from them that requires a login. You are correct that the Apple Watch needs a phone but that might change in the future. I don't use the cellular enough to really worry about it anyway—it is just a minor convenience.

I understand. I have no concept that Google would be listening to my calls, processing keywords spoken and then trying to sell me stuff or target advertising based on conversations... though they certainly could be. Of course, Apple could be doing the same but simply better at not blatantly showing they do such stuff. "We" just leap of faith that Apple doesn't do Google stuff and that Apple is good and Google is bad... but we don't know that.

Texts are more suspect and easier to process. However, I don't see Google ads in the GV app, so the targeting from snooping on texts would have to be when I browse websites. Again, there's nothing other than collective opinions and marketing spin that says Apple doesn't snoop on texts too. We just assume it because one is more blatantly focused on targeted advertising than the other.

But, just because that's the one VOIP app I like doesn't mean it is the only VOIP app. There are PLENTY of them in the app store. If you want to explore this before much commitment, download and test some of them on iPhone. If you find one you like, you can likely get it for a cellular iPad Mini and potentially do the same thing. My backup favorite is Talkatone which is owned by Ooma. It does a very good job too. And there are many more.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. I don't like huddling over my iPhone for hours on end, and I don't like using the 12.9" iPad Pro OR my MacBook Pro on the couch.
Different people, different likes. I hated the iPad mini the second I tried it in the store. And I love using my iPad Pro 12.9" on the couch, and in every other way. Even my iPad Pro 11" feels small to me. Personal preferences play a big role in the use and liking a device.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Just to add to my earlier post, that I’ve found the Mini 6 to be useful in an emergency when I need to do some work. I don’t tend to travel with my 12.9 and MK, but I take the Mini everywhere and carry a Bluetooth Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard. The Mini in a Smart Folio stands nicely on the keyboard lid and is steady on my lap or on a train table while I type.

Reactions: kakaluma83

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
@rui no onna - I think you are the person with the most number of iPads on this forum, aren't you? :):)

Including the "deprecated", beta testing as well as iPads purchased for household members, probably. ???

Everything's on iOS 14 unless otherwise specified. I still regret not keeping the Air 2 and Pro 9.7 on iOS 12.

iPad mini 4 (iOS 10)
iPad mini 5
iPad mini 6 (iOS 15)

iPad 5th gen
iPad 6th gen
iPad 7th gen
iPad 9th gen (iOS 15 beta)

iPad Air (iOS 9)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air 3
iPad Air 4

iPad Pro 9.7
iPad Pro 10.5
iPad Pro 11 (2021)

iPad Pro 12.9 (2017)
iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, good. I kept my 11" instead of selling it just for that - it can't be beaten for size/portability ratio, it fits in my bag (I had to get a new bag), and the screen is great.

The 9.7-11" iPads are the max that would fit in most of my purses. Right now, the Air 4 is my EDC because of TouchID. Maybe when masks stop becoming mandatory, I'll start using the iPP 11 outside the house.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Including the "deprecated", beta testing as well as iPads purchased for household members, probably. ???

Everything's on iOS 14 unless otherwise specified. I still regret not keeping the Air 2 and Pro 9.7 on iOS 12.

iPad mini 4 (iOS 10)
iPad mini 6

iPad 5th gen
iPad 6th gen
iPad 7th gen
iPad 9th gen (iOS 15 beta)

iPad Air (iOS 9)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air 3
iPad Air 4

iPad Pro 9.7
iPad Pro 10.5
iPad Pro 11 (2021)

iPad Pro 12.9 (2017)
iPad Pro 12.9 (2021)
And I felt guilty of overspending and having 3 iPads - iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 2021 11" and 12.9"...

• Haha
Reactions: snipr125

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And I felt guilty of overspending and having 3 iPads - iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 2021 11" and 12.9"...

In fairness, those purchases go back to 2013 (I already gifted or traded in the iPad 2-4).

Besides, the tech purchases are part utility and part hobby. Before, it was servers, gaming rigs and HTPC/SFF Mini-ITX builds. Now, it's iPads.

At least the iPads see regular use for 1 year minimum (some were used for 4 years). I probably have a couple grand worth of PC parts (probably just $100-200 now if I ebay) that I never found the time to actually build.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
So is the Jelly Scroll effect on the iPad mini 6 a major issue?
It’s noticeable in portrait mode, but if like me and use in landscape 99% of the time then there won’t be an issue. I only use portrait for ebooks and it’s not an issue there. If you like scrolling in portrait then I would defo try one before you buy.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I'm curious: Has anyone bought the cellular version and used it in their car as a music/navigation device?
Yes to both. I drive an almost 18-year-old car. I got a Bluetooth FM transmitter and use both Apple maps and Music when I travel. That’s in three trucks and one car since I use it to stream our favorite travel radio when we go to our camp and play my favorite tunes when I’m traveling in my car.

Reactions: TechRunner

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I’ve sent it back.. simply because apps are not as great as on iphone.. it sucks not having whatsapp, various app dont take advantage of larger screen (eg binance, instagram...) so you have to get back to the iphone everytime anyway... these days also make uou depend on things like google auth, so you go back to your phone anyway...

It is a cool device, but still lacks some usefulness. Apple should add more value to the apple pencil,
, Like annotate on websites or everywhere.

You cant annotate on kindle... in the end of the day I keep usong the iphone xs max and mini keeps getting dust, so Ive sent it back

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I’ve sent it back.. simply because apps are not as great as on iphone.. it sucks not having whatsapp, various app dont take advantage of larger screen (eg binance, instagram...) so you have to get back to the iphone everytime anyway... these days also make uou depend on things like google auth, so you go back to your phone anyway...

It is a cool device, but still lacks some usefulness. Apple should add more value to the apple pencil,
, Like annotate on websites or everywhere.

You cant annotate on kindle... in the end of the day I keep usong the iphone xs max and mini keeps getting dust, so Ive sent it back
Apple should extend functionality on every app. Should encourage the user to have more power and convenience on a larger screen. Encourage app devs to make dedicated
Ipad apps through the api. Instead they just maintain same app, and remove functionality like inability to make phone calls (even on a cellular ipad).

Sorry it really pisses me off to buy an ipad then open apps and see the iphone version of the app on the center of the screen not taking advantage of the screen... like your bank app, also apps from large companies like facebook... or even apps from apple. No weather app! Cmon, they have money and people to dedicate more love to ipad apps and ipadOS and improve functionality.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I think some people are more sensitive to it than others so for them it definitely could be a major issue - I wouldn't just dismiss it even though it doesn't bother me in the least. Like fingernails on a blackboard - it drives some people absolutely bonkers, others it doesn't.

Yeah, I keep reading about these display issues - ghosting, jelly scrolling, pwm, purple tint, etc. and I'm glad none of these things bother me the least. I've played with iPad Mini in the store, yeah, I can see what people mean if I actively look for it, but honestly this is something I wouldn't notice on my own.

I wonder if some people really are just much more sensitive to these things, and if they are - how do they manage with other things in life? I am not saying this cynically - but I have a feeling some people go through life with migraines or constant annoyance or something with that level of sensitivity.

gimbalboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
First iPad since 2013. Had the first gen mini and loved the form factor. The new one is even better and love the new jelly roll. Brilliant feature and hope to see more of it on other devices in the future.

Different people, different likes. I hated the iPad mini the second I tried it in the store. And I love using my iPad Pro 12.9" on the couch, and in every other way. Even my iPad Pro 11" feels small to me. Personal preferences play a big role in the use and liking a device.
Glad they make both.

I just sold my 2020 iPad 12.9 Cellular 512GB for a Mini 6 Wifi 64GB. Obviously, I downsized from a "future-proofed" iPad to something much smaller in all ways, but the 12.9 was so big and heavy (most of all) that it stayed unused most of the time. Had the size and weight (but very top-heavy) of a laptop, but had none of the utility and flexibility (even w/ the Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folios). Only used 32GB out of 512GB the whole time, and never subscribed to cellular. Of course, I also have a Windows desktop PC for real work, and an iPhone 13 Pro 256GB for on the go.

Finally decided to pay for something that is optimized for exactly my case 98% of the time (couch and bedtime consumption w/ 2TB iCloud family plan); I'll deal with that 2% later (long trips w/ photography).

Just got tired of repeatedly overpaying for "future proofing" and "piece of mind," product-after-product and year-after-year.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Glad they make both.

I just sold my 2020 iPad 12.9 Cellular 512GB for a Mini 6 Wifi 64GB. Obviously, I downsized from a "future-proofed" iPad to something much smaller in all ways, but the 12.9 was so big and heavy (most of all) that it stayed unused most of the time. Had the size and weight (but very top-heavy) of a laptop, but had none of the utility and flexibility (even w/ the Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folios). Only used 32GB out of 512GB the whole time, and never subscribed to cellular. Of course, I also have a Windows desktop PC for real work, and an iPhone 13 Pro 256GB for on the go.

Finally decided to pay for something that is optimized for exactly my case 98% of the time (couch and bedtime consumption w/ 2TB iCloud family plan); I'll deal with that 2% later (long trips w/ photography).

Just got tired of repeatedly overpaying for "future proofing" and "piece of mind," product-after-product and year-after-year.
I think one thing every Apple user realizes eventually is that there isn't a perfect model or size of any given product line. It's based on the user, and it evolves over time as software and technologies change. For me personally, the 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard came out EXACTLY at a time when that kind of device was perfect for my lifestyle and work needs. I loved using it for the entire time I had it, but then the M1 MacBook Air came out and upended everything yet again. etc. etc. etc.

One thing Apple is good at though, is baking little hints of all their hardware into all their operating systems. When I don't have an iPad in my lineup at all, I definitely miss specific functionality that is not available anywhere but iPad, no matter the model. (I'm not counting the mini 3 I've been "using" for the last couple years, because it was basically garbage once it stopped getting updates.)

I think the M1 launch FINALLY put the Mac in a place where I could actually enjoy using the hardware again and not feel like it's holding macOS back. I put all my laptop tasks back on the Mac, and then missed my iPad again because I like having a tablet to write/read/game on. The natural answer to that is the iPad mini, and the current mini is the first one I've ever felt can fully fill those requirements. I was happy to plunk down some money for it. I have missed having an iPad that's primarily "just an iPad", and the gravy on this particular model is that it's also capable of so much more than being "just an iPad".

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
USPS dropped my Mini and Spigen screen protector from Amazon off last night around 7:00pm.
I didn't open it yet. Going to try and put the glass on right out of the box to cut down on contamination? today
Orange Smart folio is due in tomorrow.

Will pick up a Apple Pencil 2 Sunday. Waiting to see if BestBuy is going to put it on sale. If not I may see if they'll price match Walmart or Amazon who has them for $114 and then use a $15 off reward I have?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
USPS dropped my Mini and Spigen screen protector from Amazon off last night around 7:00pm.
I didn't open it yet. Going to try and put the glass on right out of the box to cut down on contamination? today
Orange Smart folio is due in tomorrow.

Will pick up a Apple Pencil 2 Sunday. Waiting to see if BestBuy is going to put it on sale. If not I may see if they'll price match Walmart or Amazon who has them for $114 and then use a $15 off reward I have?
I know that feeling!! I do the same thing—don’t want any crud or dog hair in there!

Reactions: Syk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.