Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Why did you and others get the 5G version? I have struggled to find a use case and extra cost for the cellular model when I can just tether to my iPhone.
I got the 5G version for one very simple reason: this was a gift to myself and I splurged. I 100% do not need the 5G model.

HOWEVER

This is the kind of device I would take somewhere INSTEAD of a Mac or INSTEAD of an iPhone, so I think I actually will use it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why did you and others get the 5G version? I have struggled to find a use case and extra cost for the cellular model when I can just tether to my iPhone.

Besides GPS, I opt not to have both (phone and tablet), instead using this "6" (and the "2" before it) as a hybrid tablet AND phone with buds for when I'm actually taking and making phone calls.

So many people have cell phones but don't really use the phone part that much. Instead it's heavy on the texting and internet/computing device side of things. The bigger screen with "6" offers that much more screen for all non-phone uses. But when I do need to take or make a call, "6" will ring, buds + mic lets me use it just like using an iPhone with buds + mic, and the person on the other end of the call can't tell any difference.

Texting works perfectly fine too.

Internet browsing/portable computer/consumption device works better- IMO- simply because of the bigger screen.

All that (phone, texting, internet) works on wifi too, so cellular data burn is only a thing when away from free wifi, which- for me- tends to be between work and home or the bits of time spent out and about.

But, best of all, is simply the economics:
  • "6" has access to that "5GB or 5 months for $10" T-mobile plan, so my annual cell phone bill should average out to about $25 PER YEAR.
  • There's also the tangible savings of not buying a new phone every year or two.
Downsides: not as pocketable (except suit pockets) but I just tuck it under an arm or in a bag, camera is not as good as MAX but still captures 4K video, almost NEEDS buds w/mic for personal phone calls. I fully recognize that this is not for everyone. But it covers all bases very well for me.

When people are trying to rationalize the rumored fold (iPhone), I think this is it. Unfold a pocket-sized "phone" into about a mini-sized tablet when one wants/needs a bigger screen. Fold it back down into a pocketable size when the bigger screen RE is not needed. Obviously, I'd be very interested in a fold should one ever roll out... through again, the personal economics benefits certainly plays a big part of this too.

Instead of giving a cell phone company $30, $40, $50, $60 or more per month, $25 per year (equiv to $2 per month) without feeling like I'm missing a thing is big (to me). Not carrying around 2 devices when one can do both jobs well is a- IMO- win. And not laying out around $1000+ every 2 or so years also offers free cash to put towards Macs or other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: poorcody

nealibob

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Haha same here with my 13 Pro Max, I actually may just get the 14 Pro instead of going to the larger phone (still deciding on that)
Careful with that. I tried that route and ended up going back to the Pro Max as I found the Pro too hard to type on (large hands). I actually find a Pro Max and Mini phone pairing to be more useful now, but I've never been a heavy tablet user despite multiple attempts.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm curious: Has anyone bought the cellular version and used it in their car as a music/navigation device?

Yes, works fine with Apple Maps or Google Maps. Bonus: the latter will store local maps onboard so I don't even have to turn on cellular to let GM get me to places I want to go. However, with cellular on, GM will also alert me to traffic issues before I get to them.

Turn on bluetooth and verbal guidance will run through my car's speakers. I can also take and make phone calls (via the mini, not phone) this way too.

Hook it up to a cable and the car radio will use it like an iPod or hard drive full of music, displaying playlists or song names on the car radio screen.

I use it for car functions like those just about anytime I'm driving. It all works just fine.

Reactions: LibbyLA

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So is the Jelly Scroll effect on the iPad mini 6 a major issue?

Personal opinions won't be much help here. Everyone sees it differently. Some will claim to not see it at all. Go to a store with one on display, load up some website and scroll up and down. See if it is major or minor (or nothing) to your own eyes.

I definitely see it but don't really care. The spectacular "whole" makes up for any shortcomings of select "parts."

Reactions: roncron and sparksd

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Besides GPS, I opt not to have both (phone and tablet), instead using this "6" (and the "2" before it) as a hybrid tablet AND phone with buds for when I'm actually taking and making phone calls.

So many people have cell phones but don't really use the phone part that much. Instead it's heavy on the texting and internet/computing device side of things. The bigger screen with "6" offers that much more screen for all non-phone uses. But when I do need to take or make a call, "6" will ring, buds + mic lets me use it just like using an iPhone with buds + mic and the person on the other end can't tell any difference.

Texting works perfectly fine too.

Internet browsing/portable computer/consumption device works better- IMO- simply because of the bigger screen.

All that (phone, texting, internet) works on wifi too, so cellular data burn is only a thing when away from free wifi, which- for me- tends to be between work and home or the bits of time spent out and about.

But, best of all, is simply the economics:
  • "6" has access to that "5GB or 5 months for $10" T-mobile plan, so my annual cell phone bill should average out to about $25 PER YEAR.
  • There's also the tangible savings of not buying a new phone every year or two.
Downsides: not as pocketable (except suit pockets) but I just tuck it under an arm or in a bag, camera is not as good as MAX but still captures 4K video, almost NEEDS buds w/mic for personal phone calls. I fully recognize that this is not for everyone. But it covers all bases very well for me.

When people are trying to rationalize the rumored fold (iPhone), I think this is it. Unfold a pocket-sized "phone" into about a mini-sized tablet when one wants/needs a bigger screen. Fold it back down into a pocketable size when the bigger screen RE is not needed. Obviously, I'd be very interested in a fold should one ever roll out... through again, the personal economics benefits certainly plays a big part of this too.

Instead of giving a cell phone company $30, $40, $50, $60 or more per month, $25 per year without feeling like I'm missing a thing is big (to me). Not carrying around 2 devices when one can do both jobs well is a- IMO- win. And not laying out around $1000+ every 2 or so years also offers free cash to put towards Macs or other things.
I still feel that computers follow the same rules as cameras: the best one is the one you have with you.

That being the case, I think very carefully about which portable devices I buy and what they'll be like to use on the go. As much time as I spend on my Macs, my iPhone is probably my primary computer, or at least the one I interact with for the most things. So if that's true, I want the nicest one with the most usable screen. For example, if I'm in a situation in public where I need to type an email or see a quick video or whatever, I am probably going to think, "If only I'd brought my iPad". The Pro Max is the closest size to that and will almost always be in my pocket if all else fails.

So I think I'll stick with the larger model this fall too, but I want to see how much I'm using the iPad mini once I get over the newness of it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, again, not for everyone. But in my case, I choose NOT to have a phone. iPad Mini 6 (also) covers that base for me. So it is the one I default "have with me" and thus it's also the camera with me, the flashlight with me, the music player with me, etc. I don't have to carry a phone and an iPad, I carry just a single device to cover both bases.

The default mentality for most is that iPhone is automatic- default- and other things are added to its "with me" load. But what if iPhone is not default? Step back 30 years and relatively few had cell phones. Step back 20 years, and via a phone number through Skype, my Mac laptop was doubling as my mobile phone.

If one views iPhone as only an option instead of must-have default, then phone call capabilities can be viewed as only app functionality, like the flashlight, tape measure, texting, music, maps, etc apps. A Mac could stand in for phone calls. iPads can double as phones. Etc.

iPhone is the MOST mobile, most pocketable and certainly things pretty much depend on iPhone (Watch, CarPlay). It's easy to rationalize an iPhone for these and other reasons. But it doesn't absolutely have to be essential default. The phone functionality can be replicated in an app. Just about all other apps work as well- some better- on iPad. I appreciate how much less it costs to have almost all of the benefits without feeling like I'm giving up much. But I certainly concede it's not for everyone.

The person I replied to originally was asking why would anyone get the 5G option. Besides GPS (which is a good reason for many), 5G makes iPad Mini fully able to cover phone functionality (too). Many people- perhaps that person- don't fully realize this. Or they make a wrong assumption that everyone already has an iPhone so why do they need 5G on an iPad? Cellular phone plans tend to cost much more than cellular data plans... and yet with phone-functionality-as-an-app mentality, cellular data lets one make and receive phone calls on the very same networks for much less cost.

All other benefits of a cellular connection (all other app functionality on the go) are equal... but cost less. For example, if I want to stream music from iCloud, I stream it. If I want to use Yelp to find a restaurant, I use it. It all works the same as if I was doing such things on an iPhone. Same cell data. Same towers. Same networks. Same 5G, 5G UE or LTE.

Some don't think a Mini can be a phone at all. But it certainly can... as can a Mac if someone would like to make their Mac cover their mobile phone needs. Phone functionality is just another app... just like texting apps, flashlights, music players, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: kakaluma83

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Yes, works fine with Apple Maps or Google Maps. Bonus: the latter will store local maps onboard so I don't even have to turn on cellular to let GM get me to places I want to go. However, with cellular on, GM will also alert me to traffic issues before I get to them.

Turn on bluetooth and verbal guidance will run through my car's speakers. I can also take and make phone calls (via the mini, not phone) this way too.

Hook it up to a cable and the car radio will use it like an iPod or hard drive full of music, displaying playlists or song names on the car radio screen.

I use it for car functions like those just about anytime I'm driving. It all works just fine.
Thanks! I'm considering getting one for my Jeep, which only has bluetooth. Appreciate the feedback!

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I got the cell model and have been able to test it out in the wild a bit. Works great. I don't use it specifically as that though, as we have CarPlay. Would be really cool to find a mount for it in our other car that doesn't have CarPlay though.
That's kind of my mission, as my Jeep only has Bluetooth. Thanks for the response!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thanks! I'm considering getting one for my Jeep, which only has bluetooth. Appreciate the feedback!

You should dig around. If it has Bluetooth, I bet that jeep has a USB jack somewhere. They are sometimes in odd places: up and under the dash somewhere, in the center console, glove compartment, etc. Lay down in the floor with a flashlight and scan the underside of the console. I have to think there will be at least one somewhere.

Though I expect those functions to work just fine over Bluetooth too, if you look around and find a USB jack you may be able to get all of the same benefits and charge your iPad at the same time.

Reactions: TechRunner

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
You should dig around. If it has Bluetooth, I bet that jeep has a USB jack somewhere. They are sometimes in odd places: up and under the dash somewhere, in the center console, etc.

Though I expect it to work just fine over Bluetooth, if you look around and find a USB jack you may be able to get all of the same benefits and charge your iPad at the same time.
Actually, it's swimming in USB ports all over the place haha. I usually use my phone plugged into one for maps when I go somewhere, but I'd really like a bigger screen to work from for that and music.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

If you can't find a use for it, then you don't need it.

Personally, I'm on cellular data on the iPad ~8 hours a day and use around 15-30GB/month on the iPad. My iPhone would need to be permanently plugged in to power if used as hotspot. Besides, I use the iPad as hotspot for other wifi-only devices. Way better battery life than my iPhone, too.

Reactions: LibbyLA

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Actually, it's swimming in USB ports all over the place haha. I usually use my phone plugged into one for maps when I go somewhere, but I'd really like a bigger screen to work from for that and music.

Ahhh, so you have the best of both worlds then. In my car, bluetooth connections does make iPad phone functionality, map directions, etc all work with the the car's speakers and microphone. My car has only one USB jack. I had an ancient (big hard drive-based) iPod in a drawer. I loaded it up with my favorite playlists and tried hooking it into that jack. It works! So now I have a huge music library via iPod working with the Car's stock radio interface and I use iPad Mini 6 for Maps, phone, etc over bluetooth. It all works well... even auto-muting the music when giving a new map direction or during a phone conversation.

For needing to look at a map, I'm confident the bigger screen will be a big positive vs. the much smaller phone screen. They do make iPhone-like Mini mounts for cars too and some people have gone to the trouble of actually working one right into their dashboard. Here's a pic of a prior model worked into a Jeep dashboard...

J110264.jpeg

Enjoy!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Instead of giving a cell phone company $30, $40, $50, $60 or more per month, $25 per year (equiv to $2 per month) without feeling like I'm missing a thing is big (to me). Not carrying around 2 devices when one can do both jobs well is a- IMO- win. And not laying out around $1000+ every 2 or so years also offers free cash to put towards Macs or other things.

The expensive cell phone plans and frequent device upgrades are entirely optional. There are prepaid smartphone plans that cost around $20-40 per year (Tracfone, Red Pocket, Ultra Mobile, etc).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Personal opinions won't be much help here. Everyone sees it differently. Some will claim to not see it at all. Go to a store with one on display, load up some website and scroll up and down. See if it is major or minor (or nothing) to your own eyes.

I definitely see it but don't really care. The spectacular "whole" makes up for any shortcomings of select "parts."
Exactly my attitude. When I'm holding the iPad in portrait mode and scrolling quickly through a text-heavy website or document? Yeah, I notice it, miss ProMotion for a second, and then move along. All the other benefits I'm getting from this device outweigh that shortcoming. If they put ProMotion in the next one, I'd upgrade to get it. Until then, I'll happily use this one.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Ahhh, so you have the best of both worlds then. In my car, bluetooth connections does make iPad phone functionality, map directions, etc all work with the the car's speakers and microphone. My car has only one USB jack. I had an ancient (big hard drive-based) iPod in a drawer. I loaded it up with my favorite playlists and tried hooking it into that jack. It works! So now I have a huge music library via iPod working with the Car's stock radio interface and I use iPad Mini 6 for Maps, phone, etc over bluetooth. It all works well... even auto-muting the music when giving a new map direction or during a phone conversation.

For needing to look at a map, I'm confident the bigger screen will be a big positive vs. the much smaller phone screen. They do make iPhone-like Mini mounts for cars too and some people have gone to the trouble of actually working one right into their dashboard. Here's a pic of a prior model worked into a Jeep dashboard...

Enjoy!
I like that setup in theory, but in practice, not sure I'd go that far. Probably looking at more of a cup holder-based stand, or maybe one from a place like ProClip that hangs over the width of the dash in front of the existing UConnect system. Lots to think about. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Yes, again, not for everyone. But in my case, I choose NOT to have a phone. iPad Mini 6 (also) covers that base for me. So it is the one I default "have with me" and thus it's also the camera with me, the flashlight with me, the music player with me, etc. I don't have to carry a phone and an iPad, I carry just a single device to cover both bases.

The default mentality for most is that iPhone is automatic- default- and other things are added to its "with me" load. But what if iPhone is not default? Step back 30 years and relatively few had cell phones. Step back 20 years, and via a phone number through Skype, my Mac laptop was doubling as my mobile phone.

If one views iPhone as only an option instead of must-have default, then phone call capabilities can be viewed as only app functionality, like the flashlight, tape measure, texting, music, maps, etc apps. A Mac could stand in for phone calls. iPads can double as phones. Etc.

iPhone is the MOST mobile, most pocketable and certainly things pretty much depend on iPhone (Watch, CarPlay). It's easy to rationalize an iPhone for these and other reasons. But it doesn't absolutely have to be essential default. The phone functionality can be replicated in an app. Just about all other apps work as well- some better- on iPad. I appreciate how much less it costs to have almost all of the benefits without feeling like I'm giving up much. But I certainly concede it's not for everyone.

The person I replied to originally was asking why would anyone get the 5G option. Besides GPS (which is a good reason for many), 5G makes iPad Mini fully able to cover phone functionality (too). Many people- perhaps that person- don't fully realize this. Or they make a wrong assumption that everyone already has an iPhone so why do they need 5G on an iPad? Cellular phone plans tend to cost much more than cellular data plans... and yet with phone-functionality-as-an-app mentality, cellular data lets one make and receive phone calls on the very same networks for much less cost.

All other benefits of a cellular connection (all other app functionality on the go) are equal... but cost less. For example, if I want to stream music from iCloud, I stream it. If I want to use Yelp to find a restaurant, I use it. It all works the same as if I was doing such things on an iPhone. Same cell data. Same towers. Same networks. Same 5G, 5G UE or LTE.

Some don't think a Mini can be a phone at all. But it certainly can... as can a Mac if someone would like to make their Mac cover their mobile phone needs. Phone functionality is just another app... just like texting apps, flashlights, music players, etc.
Definitely. I've thought about trying this myself, especially being the owner of a cellular Apple Watch. I don't think I can break my iPhone addiction quite yet though. Maybe if there's ever an iPhone that folds out into the iPad mini I can eliminate all these devices!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The expensive cell phone plans and frequent device upgrades are entirely optional. There are prepaid smartphone plans that cost around $20-40 per year (Tracfone, Red Pocket, Ultra Mobile, etc).

Could you point me to one of those plans that is $20-$40 PER YEAR for iPhone (phone-text-data). I see a $2.50/month plan on Red Pocket but with barely any minutes, only 1000 texts and only 200MB data but that's the closest I'm seeing to that claim. I have many friends with iPhones who would love it but they definitely text more than 1000 texts and would definitely need more than only 200MB data. I just checked Tracphone too and I'm seeing those kinds of prices PER MONTH. Please send me a link to a $20-$40/yr iPhone plan that isn't really pinching the usage with tight restrictions. My friends will greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I like that setup in theory, but in practice, not sure I'd go that far. Probably looking at more of a cup holder-based stand, or maybe one from a place like ProClip that hangs over the width of the dash in front of the existing UConnect system. Lots to think about. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Check this cup-holder stand out -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9MXSL8

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Could you point me to one of those plans that is $20-$40 PER YEAR for iPhone (phone-text-data). I see a $2.50/month plan on Red pocket but with barely any minutes, only 1000 texts and only 200MB data but that's the closest I'm seeing to that claim. I have many friends with iPhones who would love it but they definitely text more than 1000 texts and would definitely need more than only 200MB data. I just checked Tracphone too and I'm seeing those kinds of prices PER MONTH. Please send me a link to a $20-$40/yr iPhone plan that isn't really pinching the usage with tight restrictions. My friends will greatly appreciate it.

The cheap prepaid plans are definitely for low usage.

Looks like Tracfone got rid of their $30-40 3GB annual plan. Can't quite remember if it's 1200/1200, 1500/1500 or 3000/3000 minutes and text. I only used them for the emergency "carphone".

Mind, if one uses iMessage, WhatsApp, Google Voice, etc. for messaging and are primarily on wi-fi (pretty much what you'd be doing on the iPad mini anyway), these plans are fine.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thanks for having a look. I see some offers on Ebay for phone sims with annual plans that get down into that realm. However, they also seem to have pinched "something..." usually total data, or are combinations of some LTE and then slower connections.

For example, there's one called Amethyst (which then implies it is a Tmobile MVNO): unlimited text & talk and 2GB data (presumably for the whole year) for what appears to be $10/month. But 2GB data for a year would be pinching it even for me. I had started on the Tmobile 500MB-for-$5/month plan with this iPad until I realized I could back out of that and get the "$10 for 5 months or 5GB" prepaid option. Even with my usage heavily in free wifi zones, I was worried about the hard cap of only 500MB for an entire month (vacations, business travel etc could easily need more). Now with a 5GB bank, I don't have any such worries. If I need 2GB in a week or two, I have it with no extra charges for my travel surge need. Similarly, no extra charge for phone minutes or texts because it's all data only.

Many of the dirt-cheap iPhone plans will make each text cost a cent or two and then have charges for minutes after a relatively small amount. That can work for some people if they are careful about monitoring their calls and texting. However many are used to "unlimited*" or plans that offer caps beyond what they can typically reach. Going back to keeping count of their texts and/or policing minutes would probably be undesirable even for the chance at some legitimate savings vs. the plans from the mainstream 3 or 4 entities.

Back to thread topic though: the iPad Mini 6 has that Tmobile $10 for 5GB or 5 months plan available. So those who want a cellular option with a good amount of cellular data can get a great (relative) value with seemingly no strings attached to it. If interested, you have to sign up for it yourself through iPad Mini. Don't even bother trying to sign up with Tmobile rep help. They can't seem to see that plan in their systems. Also, no need to pay for a physical SIM- ESIM works with it just fine.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
What app/service do you use to get a phone network phone number? In other words non-FaceTime and SMS. I’m currently happy with my T-Mobile service and also use a cellular Apple Watch, but I could see that change in the future. I just don’t know what to use as a T-Mobile replacement via 5G data only. And I won’t use Google anything so not Google voice if that is your solution.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Google Voice is my favored VOIP app. It works very well. A bonus that particularly draws me to it is that it also works as well with the ObiHai device, which makes GV work with home landline connections and phones too (and alarm systems and even fax machine for that increasingly rare need). In short: when my cell "phone" (iPad Mini 6) rings, my home phones ring too. I can answer on either. ObiHai is flexible and can work with other VOIP options too but I don't view Google so negatively and this combination "just works" to perfection for my phone needs (mobile, home, alarm and occasional fax). Since GV has calls to US and Canada for free, my (home) phone bill is $0. Rates to other countries are pretty cheap but there's always FaceTime/Skype, etc for those.

I also sometimes use a non-Google app called Talkatone, which works just as well for both mobile calls and texts.

Further back in time I had Comcast Voice service and their VOIP app worked very well too (texts and voice) but GV and Talkatone are free vs. Comcast loving to raise prices over time.

Just like every other kind of app, there are MANY VOIP apps available beyond those. Shop, try some and find a favorite.

Caution: I don't have Watch but am under the impression that Watch really, really, REALLY needs to be married to an iPhone. So if Watch is important, this option of iPad as phone too may not work for you... or perhaps some functionality may not work. Better explore that if thinking about this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.