Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
What concerns me is that if Apple does ever make the jump to OLED displays, all this white and full white pages would be an absolute battery destroyer for OLED.. Black is obviously lowest power used for OLED..

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I don't think they would do that. Steve Jobs said something like OLED is an inferior technology, and if I remember correctly Tim Cook shares that opinion.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't think they would do that. Steve Jobs said something like OLED is an inferior technology, and if I remember correctly Tim Cook shares that opinion.

They probably said it wasn't mature enough, which is somewhat true to this day. They will make the move to IGZO panels next anyways.. .So Apple truly has a few years before they decide OLED is worth it and by then, we'll be able to pick themes for iOS.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Fortunately, there are a few apps left that still change the display to the (much easier on the eye) white text on black - or rather dark grey - background..

Eg the Podcasts app.

It's a relief on the eyes to look at that app!

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Fortunately, there are a few apps left that still change the display to the (much easier on the eye) white text on black - or rather dark grey - background..

Eg the Podcasts app.

It's a relief on the eyes to look at that app!

Maybe it is a deliberate ploy by Apple to get Podcasts more popular….

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
It's not just the brightness, although that is one thing, wtf should I be required to constantly change the brightness? I'd love for the auto brightness to take care of it, but that is useless.

It's also about the white on white scheme, or rather the very very light grey on white which kind of makes it very hard to differentiate what is what in an app. The calendar app is MUCH worse, not only overall, but the almost white on white is just very confusing to pick things out on.

I really like some of the stuff iOS 7 has and I'm still excited about it. I'm just a bit bummed that they spent so much time and energy on the aesthetics when they should have spent that towards functionality, most of the core apps are almost exactly the same functionality except with a different theme.

----------

I felt the same way about iOS6, but we didn't have a quick way to control brightness.

There is a brightness control in Command Center, use it.

I don't get this. So every time my lighting situation changes I should pull down the control center and adjust the brightness? Maybe it's just me, but that seems to add an extra step to every time I switch rooms or go outside, that's just nuts.

I'm not railing against you, yeah it's a solution, I'm just baffled as to the thought process at Apple, this seems very Microsoft-ish to me, not something I would expect out of Apple or Ive.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't get this. So every time my lighting situation changes I should pull down the control center and adjust the brightness? Maybe it's just me, but that seems to add an extra step to every time I switch rooms or go outside, that's just nuts.

I only change my brightness when there is a drastic change in room brightness. Slight changes don't bother me. My point was that I also considered iOS6 too bright for dark rooms so there were times that I had to change the brightness manually. It was always easy to do on the iPad, but I'm happy that its now easy to do on the iPhone.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
The blinding white all over the place was the first thing that I noticed. I am surprised Apple did that as I am sure they had to have realized how rough all white is on the eyes. It will take an adjustment over time but to try and get some kind of neutral color back I have already submitted feedback on Apples website.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I only change my brightness when there is a drastic change in room brightness. Slight changes don't bother me. My point was that I also considered iOS6 too bright for dark rooms so there were times that I had to change the brightness manually. It was always easy to do on the iPad, but I'm happy that its now easy to do on the iPhone.

Yeah maybe I'm just more sensitive to it. I usually have my phone pretty bright, I work in a very well lit flourescent light room and even then the white on white is jarring. I almost killed myself earlier when I turned my phone on in the radiology darkroom, I thought I had burned my eyes out.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am surprised Apple did that as I am sure they had to have realized how rough all white is on the eyes.

We have had 7 years of an primarily white Mail application.

----------

Yeah maybe I'm just more sensitive to it. I usually have my phone pretty bright, I work in a very well lit flourescent light room and even then the white on white is jarring. I almost killed myself earlier when I turned my phone on in the radiology darkroom, I thought I had burned my eyes out.

Now you have even more reason to drop your overall brightness. Your have better battery life as well.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Whats the deal with the dark gray keyboard I see (usually on logins) and then the normal white keyboard for everything else.. I don't understand why there's two seperately themed keyboards.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Whats the deal with the dark gray keyboard I see (usually on logins) and then the normal white keyboard for everything else.. I don't understand why there's two seperately themed keyboards.

Not only that but when I logged into my Dropbox account I got the iOS6 keyboard!

krossfire

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
Man, I can't believe there is so much blinding white, didn't Apple ever think we would use our phones in the dark? I know we can invert colors with accessibility options, but that's a poor solution as it also inverts colors. Something like windows high contrast mode would be nice. I see an increased contrast option, but I can't figure out what it affects.

Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme. The phone borders on unusable in the dark.

absolutely true.... in next update apple has to take chances to solve it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For me the white increases legibility of text, which increases usability for me.

Calibrate your auto brightness in the dark. For me I calibrate auto brightness to be at the least lit setting in low light conditions.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2013
This forum is too white.......

But in all seriousness, just turn down brightness. I doubt apple will give us themes. I personally have no problem with the light theme and I think it looks great, really fresh and modern.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
This is what I think the reason for the heavy white might be.

Displaying any color on the screen has no affect on battery life but the brightness level does have an affect on battery life. So by making the environment more white it makes it so you don't have to have brightness as high and there by saving more battery life. I know I have been a full brightness user since the first iOS but with iOS7 I had to turn down the brightness for the first time.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I normally keep my brightness at about 35%, rather low. I've downgraded back to iOS 6. I can't stand the white. My problem is that I'm probably buying a new iPad next month (or whenever it comes out) and I do not like iOS 7.

I've never considered jailbraking before because I never really needed to. The current OS did what I needed. But if there isn't a jail brake out with a darker theme by the time the new iPad comes out I doubt I'll buy it. The white really affects the usability for me. A real shame. I've been buying iPads since the 1 and have given my older ones to family. So now everyone has one and we FaceTime all the time. I'll end up being the only one without an iPad. But we can use Skype. I'll get a win8 tablet. At least I will be able to look at it for more than 5 mins without getting a headache.

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
Do yourselves a favor and switch on the Bold Text option under accessability. Makes EVERYTHING much, much easier to read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.