Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I just reduced my screen brightness a little.

It is not that big of a deal to me.

No doubt that Apple would be "bending some noses" as 7 is a huge change after many years.

I suspect most will adapt! There is really little choice.

There are plenty of choices... Way too many in fact:

-Motorola Droid Moto X
-Nokia Lumina 1020
-HTC One
-Blackberry Z30
-Galaxy S4

I could go on for days, but these ones all represent the latest in technical innovations that give one an alternative if they are not happy with iOS7, or you could just go back to 6.0.4... LOL

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
There are plenty of choices... Way too many in fact:

-Motorola Droid Moto X
-Nokia Lumina 1020
-HTC One
-Blackberry Z30
-Galaxy S4

I could go on for days, but these ones all represent the latest in technical innovations that give one an alternative if they are not happy with iOS7, or you could just go back to 6.0.4... LOL

Well then go and help yourself.:mad:

My point is if you are going to use an iPhone, get used to iOS7 as there is NO choice.

I have tried the S4, Z10, Q10, the Nokia and I come back to my iPhone. The moto and HTC do not even interest me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
All it does is turn off transparency. It'll help performance in some cases, but it isn't going to do anything about the white-out.

Hmm, I can't figure out a clear place to see what it does, do you have any examples?

----------

This is what I think the reason for the heavy white might be.

Displaying any color on the screen has no affect on battery life but the brightness level does have an affect on battery life. So by making the environment more white it makes it so you don't have to have brightness as high and there by saving more battery life. I know I have been a full brightness user since the first iOS but with iOS7 I had to turn down the brightness for the first time.

That makes sense. But it's not only the white, it's the white on white, or the almost white on white. It just makes it harder, at least for me, to differentiate different functional areas of an apps display. Something as simple as the phone dialer, for example, just becomes this huge white square at first glance, the old dialer was MUCH more functional in terms of visibility.

I just WISH we had some choice in the matter, simply a light and a dark theme is all I'm asking for. To be forced from fairly dark to a blinding white theme is just really bad IMO. Constantly adjusting brightness just isn't a valid answer IMO. What about the times I want the brightness, looking at pictures for example, or looking at a game, or something which isn't white on white? There is a certain lack of continuity that I'm surprised Apple would force on us.

----------

You must be the spinning champion in your district.

Better battery life seems like quite a spine to me. Maybe slightly true, but a terrible spin. But hey I guess that's why we have a 4" screen right, to get better battery life, see that's a terrible spin also.

Maybe they should get rid of the backlight totally and just let us navigate the phone by feel, that would help with battery life quite a bit.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, I can't figure out a clear place to see what it does, do you have any examples?

----------

That makes sense. But it's not only the white, it's the white on white, or the almost white on white. It just makes it harder, at least for me, to differentiate different functional areas of an apps display. Something as simple as the phone dialer, for example, just becomes this huge white square at first glance, the old dialer was MUCH more functional in terms of visibility.

I just WISH we had some choice in the matter, simply a light and a dark theme is all I'm asking for. To be forced from fairly dark to a blinding white theme is just really bad IMO. Constantly adjusting brightness just isn't a valid answer IMO. What about the times I want the brightness, looking at pictures for example, or looking at a game, or something which isn't white on white? There is a certain lack of continuity that I'm surprised Apple would force on us.

A lot of this OS is determined by your wallpaper. If you can't see the rings around the dialer numbers then you need a darker wallpaper.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
My point is if you are going to use an iPhone, get used to iOS7 as there is NO choice.

You heard that first guys, you have NO choice but to accept iOS7 as it is, no feedback or changes allowed.

----------

A lot of this OS is determined by your wallpaper. If you can't see the rings around the dialer numbers then you need a darker wallpaper.

Interesting, so the rings around the numbers are transparent? And that changes with the contrast option? Hmm I'll have to experiment. It is kind of stupid though to be forced into a dark background just to get dark rings, isn't it?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
All these threads complaining...it's not going to change anything.

I welcomed the change of iOS7 after all these years...finally a resdesign. My 2 year old 4S feels new again, I'm super content.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Spinedoc77 is absolutely right. It's brutal on the eyes in many situations, even well lit ones because of the light grey on white eye strain.

Even iOS 6 suffered though. Maps app is bad as it has very thin road lines that are white, on an off-white background. In any lighting, it's an eye strain.

You can feel your eyes relax when you invert colors (set to triple-click home) in any low lighting situation.

Even if you think the all white looks good, there can be no denying that over time, your eyes will pay for it.

There is no reasonable excuse for not having a dark theme. Maps has an automatic night mode, using local time and ambient light... So they are capable of a day/night/auto implementation.

Apple treats their designs like high fashion... Looks great in the shows, but impractical (in this case harmful) in real life, where we all live.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Have you seen iOS 7!!!????

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 11.57.29 AM.png

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I agree. A choice of themes is desperately needed. I had to lower my brightness to not destroy my battery with all these white pixels.

Completely agreed. Not even battery but it blinds me with mostly bright white screen when I look the screen at night.

Also, what's up with those vector graphic looking icons in the menus? Pretty sure they're created by professionals but rather looks like programmer art, I'm a programmer myself. Either way, icons don't look premium, but rather temp.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . You can feel your eyes relax when you invert colors (set to triple-click home) in any low lighting situation . . .

This is absolutely correct, I've challenged others on the forum to try this from the Accessibility settings.

There is no way people could reasonably argue against this fact.

It is the perfect demo to show why a dark theme is very much needed.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Spinedoc77 is absolutely right. It's brutal on the eyes in many situations, even well lit ones because of the light grey on white eye strain.

Even iOS 6 suffered though. Maps app is bad as it has very thin road lines that are white, on an off-white background. In any lighting, it's an eye strain.

You can feel your eyes relax when you invert colors (set to triple-click home) in any low lighting situation.

Even if you think the all white looks good, there can be no denying that over time, your eyes will pay for it.

There is no reasonable excuse for not having a dark theme. Maps has an automatic night mode, using local time and ambient light... So they are capable of a day/night/auto implementation.

Apple treats their designs like high fashion... Looks great in the shows, but impractical (in this case harmful) in real life, where we all live.

I got up very early this morning, but wanted to play with iOS7 in bed as I had set it to upgrade last night before going to bed. Even with brightness all the way down it was hard on my eyes, and forget my poor wife trying to sleep next to me. I can't forget first opening my phone and seeing that freakin Welcome to iOS7 screen, I cannot imagine they could have made it any whiter or brighter. When people say that guys tie is loud they mean it is garish and overly colored, but I can't help but apply that same exact term, "loud" to Apple's white scheme, I never thought I'd see white being as garish as it is on iOS7.

I have mentioned having a dark theme, but another option is to have a high contrast mode. I mean a REAL high contrast mode like windows tablets have, where it inverts text and white, but does not affect graphics, it works phenomenally well on windows tablets in the dark, but you can still look at pictures and websites.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Setting bold text, larger font and high contrast in settings does help alot. Although I still hate the white on white thing a LOT as well.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
The Messages App is way to white.

I agree. However I think looking at the imessages I been sending, seems to be better on my eyes than the normal text messages. Maybe its Apple's way of getting us to just send imessages.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
This is absolutely correct, I've challenged others on the forum to try this from the Accessibility settings.

There is no way people could reasonably argue against this fact.

This is as half baked a solution as constantly adjusting the brightness is. The problem is that Apple's high contrast mode is half baked, EVERY single color gets inverted, so you can't look at graphics, webpages, etc, pretty much only text, otherwise it looks like a picture negative.

I can already see the "excusers" coming out of the woodwork, they come out whenever Apple does something dumb to offer a multitude of excuses and why we are dumb because we can't work around it.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
You heard that first guys, you have NO choice but to accept iOS7 as it is, no feedback or changes allowed.

----------

Interesting, so the rings around the numbers are transparent? And that changes with the contrast option? Hmm I'll have to experiment. It is kind of stupid though to be forced into a dark background just to get dark rings, isn't it?

You need to read my reply again as I NEVER said "as it is" so you are kinda blowing up for nothing!

What I did say is "if you are going to use an iPhone, get used to iOS7 as there is NO choice"

The no changes or choices is no where in my text. Do you always misquote people? :p

----------

This is as half baked a solution as constantly adjusting the brightness is. The problem is that Apple's high contrast mode is half baked, EVERY single color gets inverted, so you can't look at graphics, webpages, etc, pretty much only text, otherwise it looks like a picture negative.

I can already see the "excusers" coming out of the woodwork, they come out whenever Apple does something dumb to offer a multitude of excuses and why we are dumb because we can't work around it.

You can go back to iOS6!:eek:

Try to remain calm as I would bet Apple will be fixing things over the next few months.:)

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
This is as half baked a solution as constantly adjusting the brightness is . . .

I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm in agreement with you.

Like Altis, I've been suggesting that people toggle invert colours on and off in low light and whilst doing so, you can physically feel your eyes relax.

It illustrates perfectly the benefit of a dark theme, but is definitely NOT a solution to the problem for the reasons you mention and others.

EDIT: I've amended post #62 to add a 3rd sentence and hopefully remove any confusion.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Completely agreed. Not even battery but it blinds me with mostly bright white screen when I look the screen at night.

Also, what's up with those vector graphic looking icons in the menus? Pretty sure they're created by professionals but rather looks like programmer art, I'm a programmer myself. Either way, icons don't look premium, but rather temp.

I like the icons. Going for more of a deco look. It suits the whole OS and aesthetic they are going for. The only icon I dislike is game center. It looks very 90's shockwave.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

Those were the same people who told us 'Apple was right, nobody really needed MMS and emailing pics is fine' back in iOS2....

Constructive feedback is a good thing. Hopefully Apple will listen and provide a something more muted option.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The white is way too much IMO. I guess it may work better on white devices, but it's too contrasting for my black 5.

It would be nice if you could change to a grey or slate/black. Why not just have the option to match the color of the device?

iAmirul

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Singapore
Im using my phone in the dark as im typing this and i think its alright..

Btw, this is coming from a person who cannot stand bright displays and has all devices brightness at the lowest level

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The only advantage of having so much white is that it's pretty much all black when you invert colors.

Setting triple click home to invert colors and using it often is probably the most effective way of protecting your eyes.

And yes, you can physically feel your eyes relax. trying to read light grey text on a white lit background is like trying to read the wattage writing on a glass bulb while it's lit up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.