Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The only advantage of having so much white is that it's pretty much all black when you invert colors.

Setting triple click home to invert colors and using it often is probably the most effective way of protecting your eyes.

And yes, you can physically feel your eyes relax. trying to read light grey text on a white lit background is like trying to read the wattage writing on a glass bulb while it's lit up.

You mean kinda like how books have been, since, the invention of printed text?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm with the crowd on this one: we NEED a dark/adjustable theme in iOS 7.

The white is gorgeous and all but really hard on the eyes at night (and battery)!

onehitah

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I'll beat the horse a little more.

My alarm went off this morning and I went to turn it off - Holy mother of god weapons of mass destruction it was blinding. Too much white. Settings are on auto.

Hope they come out with some options...:cool:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I don't know its sooo bright and cheery! I feel better!

It brightens my day! It makes me HAPPY.

......then again that may be because I'm insane :eek:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Another good option would be light sensor based themes. So if you are in bright sunlight you get the white theme...then as the brightness of ambient light dims so does the theme...then you get the darkest theme if you are in pitch blackness. Could go hand in hand with the brightness adjustment. Overall dynamic theme brightness control.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

I don't know where you've been getting your backlit books....

I did specify that it's the backlit white that's hard on the eyes. You're trying to make out dark bits within an area of bright white light.

Books and paper are ambiently lit, so that your eyes are typically adjusted to the light given off by the room/area.

Our eyes adjust for the brightest areas in our field of vision, because over exposing the retina causes damage, whereas under exposing is safe.

I hope this explains it well enough. It's the principle that made e-paper readers popular.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011

Yeah, because paper is a "white lit background" as mentioned by the poster you were quoting :rolleyes: Johannes Gutenberg's presses used to glow in the dark, in fact, as the paper was lit from behind. Looks like you also have something in your behind, but it isn't light.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Another good option would be light sensor based themes. So if you are in bright sunlight you get the white theme...then as the brightness of ambient light dims so does the theme...then you get the darkest theme if you are in pitch blackness. Could go hand in hand with the brightness adjustment. Overall dynamic theme brightness control.

This, combined with local time, is how night mode in Maps navigation (only) works. So apple have an implementation of it already even.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know where you've been getting your backlit books....

I did specify that it's the backlit white that's hard on the eyes. You're trying to make out dark bits within an area of bright white light.

Books and paper are ambiently lit, so that your eyes are typically adjusted to the light given off by the room/area.

Our eyes adjust for the brightest areas in our field of vision, because over exposing the retina causes damage, whereas under exposing is safe.

I hope this explains it well enough. It's the principle that made e-paper readers popular.

Hey, I already said I agree that it's too much white....but you were the one saying that black text on white background is just too blinding for anyone to read. And I was simply replying that it is how printed words have been for centuries.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
You need to read my reply again as I NEVER said "as it is" so you are kinda blowing up for nothing!

What I did say is "if you are going to use an iPhone, get used to iOS7 as there is NO choice"

The no changes or choices is no where in my text. Do you always misquote people? :p

----------

You can go back to iOS6!:eek:

Try to remain calm as I would bet Apple will be fixing things over the next few months.:)

My bad, i thought you were defending Apple. I actually like ios7 so far.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Of course it's been around, as it's much easier to read blak text on white background in ambient light conditions, as your eyes are already adjusted.

That's why it's so popular, and has always been the norm. However, we need to consider how our health is affected, and the whiteout is pretty blinding.

Nobody has ever complained of a blinding, retina burning piece of paper ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

They had lit electronic screens when printed text was invented? ;)

----------

This kind of goes along with profiles, which is something other phones have had for years. Having it tied to the light sensor would be awesome and a great idea, if the light sensor was worth a damn.

I wonder if Apple will ever implement profiles...

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
They had lit electronic screens when printed text was invented? ;)

----------

This kind of goes along with profiles, which is something other phones have had for years. Having it tied to the light sensor would be awesome and a great idea, if the light sensor was worth a damn.

I wonder if Apple will ever implement profiles...

The light sensor works great in my iPhone 5. I actually noticed it shift today, since everything is so white. I walked in my living room from a dark area to a window that was very bright and it gradually got a lot brighter...then dimmed when I moved back.

rebel7254

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Hmm, I can't figure out a clear place to see what it does, do you have any examples?

----------

Here you go. The screenshots alternate between "Increase Contrast" OFF and ON, with the first one at the top being OFF.

As you can see, all of the transparency/glass effect was removed. I actually have Increase Contrast enabled because believe it or not my iPhone 5 lags slightly if I don't.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
My alarm went off this morning and I went to turn it off - Holy mother of god weapons of mass destruction it was blinding. Too much white. Settings are on auto.

:D you have quite a way with words... LOL!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Man, I can't believe there is so much blinding white, didn't Apple ever think we would use our phones in the dark? I know we can invert colors with accessibility options, but that's a poor solution as it also inverts colors. Something like windows high contrast mode would be nice. I see an increased contrast option, but I can't figure out what it affects.

Apple should consider the darker themes like Android, better yet give us a choice of a light AND dark theme. The phone borders on unusable in the dark.

As much as I would like a Dark theme, iOS 7 is bright and colorful to compliment the new iPhone 5C which is marketed towards a younger audience and countries like China and Japan (Picture Hello Kitty colors)which do not favor the dark depressed color schemes that Americans seem to like so much.

I'm pretty sure Apple is willing to gamble losing 1 long time user and gaining 2 new ones because of the color changes.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
What's even worse than the white is that sickening green color from Messages. Could they have chosen a worse shade? In iOS6 it was much easier on the eyes, and the 3D bubble effect made it softer. Now, it's just this blah neon green paint.

It looks like a teenage novice programmer's IM app.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Would be lovely to have a dark theme as well as the white. Not very apple to offer choices tho so i don't expect it to happen.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
What's even worse than the white is that sickening green color from Messages. Could they have chosen a worse shade? In iOS6 it was much easier on the eyes, and the 3D bubble effect made it softer. Now, it's just this blah neon green paint.

It looks like a teenage novice programmer's IM app.

This thread is ridiculous, but I agree with that shade of green. It's the one thing I hate. Although, I'm used to it now and don't really care as much after using several betas.

----------

Sounds to me like your alarm did it's job! :p

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As much as I would like a Dark theme, iOS 7 is bright and colorful to compliment the new iPhone 5C which is marketed towards a younger audience and countries like China and Japan (Picture Hello Kitty colors)which do not favor the dark depressed color schemes that Americans seem to like so much.

I'm pretty sure Apple is willing to gamble losing 1 long time user and gaining 2 new ones because of the color changes.

I would never be caught dead with a bright pink phone. They may want the 5C to be the big draw....it will not be appreciated by men (a largely apple market)

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Is your wallpaper just pure white? Not blinding here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 131
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.