Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not sure where in that article there's even a slither of evidence to suggest that they'll remove the headphone jack. It's just the blogger speculating, presumably because he has nothing else to write about today.

This isn't the first time it's been rumoured

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If Samsung pursues the Bluetooth route, then its clear the route they will take as Apple did. They already have their own proprietary earbuds on the market.

Reactions: M67v and ceva321

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
Not sure where in that article there's even a slither of evidence to suggest that they'll remove the headphone jack. It's just the blogger speculating, presumably because he has nothing else to write about today.

This. Pure conjecture.

Reactions: 5105973

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wouldn't care much either way. I just want the S8 to have better headphone audio(including BT) and better speaker audio.

T48

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
I would bet the farm that they remove the headphone hack from their Galaxy S8 next year. The port will be removed from pretty much all flagship devices by the end of next year. Where Apple leads, others all quickly follow.

You mean Motorola?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM
"It looks like Motorola is ready to kill the standard headset jack, and the company did so quietly, without even mentioning it on stage. The Lenovo-owned company just became the first major mobile device maker to ditch the headphone jack, though other companies from China did it before. Yet it’s Apple that’s getting all the flak for considering a similar avenue for its iPhone 7."
http://bgr.com/2016/06/10/moto-z-force-headphone-jack/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Good I hope they nix it and move forward. I do have some sympathy for the people who do find it useful, but at the same time technology needs to move forward and they will adapt.

Reactions: ceva321 and tbayrgs

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
I would bet the farm that they remove the headphone hack from their Galaxy S8 next year. The port will be removed from pretty much all flagship devices by the end of next year. Where Apple leads, others all quickly follow.
Apple didn't lead my friend, there's already two droid oems that lost the headphone jack before. Motorola and someone else whose name escapes me. But if you want to pretend they don't exist that's cool...

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple didn't lead my friend, there's already two droid oems that lost the headphone jack before. Motorola and someone else whose name escapes me. But if you want to pretend they don't exist that's cool...

Where did I say Apple was first? My post genuinely wasn't trying to bait or boast. The point is today most smartphones still have a headphone jack. Hell - Samsung tried to use the fact the Note 7 still has a headphone jack as a marketing advantage. But they won't by next year, because Apple has now moved they will all have the courage to follow.

Reactions: cracksoup

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
So then there would be lightning and USB-c headphones... And we'll have adapters for USB-c to lightning...The world of wired headphones is going to be in pure misery lol

Reactions: M67v

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Apple is leading because most of the industry still makes smartphones with headphone jacks. That will now change. Leading doesn't necessarily mean being first, in this case it means shifting the industry forward.

Reactions: ceva321

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My guess is that Samsung won't eliminate it from their next versions (have to be pretty well along on design and testing by this point) but likely we won't see the analog headphone jack in the 2018 models. Just my guess.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Apple is leading because most of the industry still makes smartphones with headphone jacks. That will now change. Leading doesn't necessarily mean being first, in this case it means shifting the industry forward.
No mate, leading means to be first, spin it however you want. Following someone as Apple seems to do these days is being 2nd and copying what someone has done exactly.
Spurs are 2nd in the premier league, can you make any argument for them leading the premier league I.e. being in first place. No?
[doublepost=1475514791][/doublepost]
Where did I say Apple was first? My post genuinely wasn't trying to bait or boast. The point is today most smartphones still have a headphone jack. Hell - Samsung tried to use the fact the Note 7 still has a headphone jack as a marketing advantage. But they won't by next year, because Apple has now moved they will all have the courage to follow.
What you said.. and I will quote.. "where Apple leads, others follow" .

There mate, is exactly where you said Apple was first. Leading, the leader. And all other versions of that word mean to be first or in first place. A leader cannot be 2nd. Come on now, are you trying to provoke an argument. You are better than that my friend.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No mate, leading means to be first, spin it however you want. Following someone as Apple seems to do these days is being 2nd and copying what someone has done exactly.
Spurs are 2nd in the premier league, can you make any argument for them leading the premier league I.e. being in first place. No?
[doublepost=1475514791][/doublepost]
What you said.. and I will quote.. "where Apple leads, others follow" .

There mate, is exactly where you said Apple was first. Leading, the leader. And all other versions of that word mean to be first or in first place. A leader cannot be 2nd. Come on now, are you trying to provoke an argument. You are better than that my friend.
Some guy running out onto the battlefield early first without anything happening because of that vs. someone coming out at some point after that guy with a whole bunch of people in tow that are following along...who would be considered the leader there? Leader has more to it than simplistic first when connotation and context are part of it all, as they are.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.