Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
No mate, leading means to be first, spin it however you want. Following someone as Apple seems to do these days is being 2nd and copying what someone has done exactly.
Spurs are 2nd in the premier league, can you make any argument for them leading the premier league I.e. being in first place. No?
[doublepost=1475514791][/doublepost]
What you said.. and I will quote.. "where Apple leads, others follow" .

There mate, is exactly where you said Apple was first. Leading, the leader. And all other versions of that word mean to be first or in first place. A leader cannot be 2nd. Come on now, are you trying to provoke an argument. You are better than that my friend.

Nothing in what you quoted did I say Apple was first.

I completely accept Apple wasn't the first company to drop the headphone jack. Others have tried doing it, but until now the vast majority of smartphones sold still have headphone jacks. This is why it was such a big deal on MacRumors in the lead up to the iPhone 7. Many people still cared about it, and thought they wanted it. It's Apple making the change that will lead everyone else to now follow in abandoning the headphone jack in their smartphones.

Seriously i didn't post to start a silly flame war.

Again I repeat (and I accept) - Apple was not first to remove the headphone jack. It's just their power and influence will now allow everyone else to feel comfortable enough to do it. That is what i mean when I say leading the industry and others now following them.

My post absolutely was not claiming Apple as the true innovators here. I'm not saying Apple was first, is better because they made this move, etc. etc. I am saying the leadership role they assume from their enviable position in the market will lead others to follow them at last and give up the headphone jack.
[doublepost=1475516397][/doublepost]
Some guy running out on the battlefield early first without anything happening because of that vs. someone coming out at some point after that guy with a whole bunch of people in tow that are following along...who would be considered the leader there? Leader has more to it than simplistic first when connotation and context are part of it all, as they are.

Exactly right.

I was just giving my opinion on why I think everyone else will now drop the headphone jack, which was basically answering the question raised by the thread. I was never trying to claim Apple is first, is best, etc. That would be bang out of line in this section of the site where the rules are very clear.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
op didn't quote the important part:

no guarantee that Samsung will remove the audio jack from its next flagship smartphone.

Even if they do even more reason to switch to LG..Not going to switch my hp setup from 3,5 to USB C.

Rather than removing things being back the removable battery !

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
They mention how removing the audio jack increases water resistance, which reminds me the iPhone 7 beat the S7 in a water resistance comparison even though Samsung gives their device a higher water resistance rating.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Its not surprising, thats samsungs cycle.

Make fun of apple on said feature then implement it later.

Most people would say that mocking a feature or product they don't have yet, is an old Apple trait :)

Like the way Jobs originally mocked tablets as only being good for surfing the web in the bathroom.

Or how Jobs later said smaller tablets would require sandpapered fingers. Then, after an Apple exec used a small Samsung tablet, Apple came out with the iPad mini.

Or how Cook said 4" was the right size for a screen, and then made huge sales a year later by following Samsung's phablets.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What are you talking about ? Ignorant

He obviously meant they don't work when their batteries die.

Some people do worry about that. The other day my daughter asked about an upgrade from her 5s, so I said okay, how about an iPhone 7?

In that exasperated tone that only teen girls can deliver, she sighed, "Daaaaad. No. It doesn't have a headphone jack!"

She went on to explain that the 6s would be perfect because of its jack, fast CPU, stronger frame than the 6, plus an iOS 10 update. I was astonished and asked, where did you learn all this? "Snapchat and Twitter news feeds", she replied.

And where teens go, there goes the world ;)

(I don't think it helps that Apple's wireless earbuds have about the worst looking design possible.)

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
What are you talking about ? Ignorant

Simple. My klipsch wired headphones last as long as my phone does. With the mophie battery that is 2 to 3 days without recharging.
My power beats I am lucky to get 6 hours, my studios about 8 to 9 hours.

I am still new to the bose and the battery life seems to be very good.

My klipsch and $8 skull candy headphones have never let me down and always ready.

I love wireless headphones but not the fact its another thing to worry about charging.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Most people would say that mocking a feature or product they don't have yet, is an old Apple trait :)

Like the way Jobs originally mocked tablets as only being good for surfing the web in the bathroom.

Or how Jobs later said smaller tablets would require sandpapered fingers. Then, after an Apple exec used a small Samsung tablet, Apple came out with the iPad mini.

Or how Cook said 4" was the right size for a screen, and then made huge sales a year later by following Samsung's phablets.
Samsung copied Apple again?

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Samsung copied Apple again?
1. Apple was only the second company which removed it
2. it's just speculation I doubt Samsung would risk another pr disaster for their flagships

the headphone jack is fine as it is leave it alone Not hard to figure it out

swingandamiss

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
With news of the Jet Black S7 being released, it's probably a fair bet. It's ironic how Samsung could actually attract some Apple customers by not copying them on this though.

Reactions: Nancy bout

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Probably false rumor like the gimmicky 3D touch that didn't happen. Considering the backlash that iPhone 7 got I doubt Samsung would go down that hole until a viable replacement that doesn't look silly like cigarette butts in your ears.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol, yeah, what happened to all those rubbish rumours WRT Force Touch in the Galaxy phones.

What I find hilarious is if Apple do something Samsung did, its fine, but if Samsung do what Apple has done its blatant copying and so on.

I doubt they are stupid enough to remove the 3.5mm jack, they don't have anything to really gain if they do, unlike Apple, who are going to be banking on all those MFi headphones and other accessories that could have used headphone jack.

Reactions: khha4113

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Anything that drains my already poor battery life yet further isn't an upgrade, especially when the sound quality is worse too. Oh and there's another battery to charge. 0-3 on the upgrade front! How can an interface in daily use be a 'legacy' port? Emperor's New Clothes.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Anything that drains my already poor battery life yet further isn't an upgrade, especially when the sound quality is worse too. Oh and there's another battery to charge. 0-3 on the upgrade front! How can an interface in daily use be a 'legacy' port? Emperor's New Clothes.

Wireless is the way forward; as long as one purchases some decent bluetooth earphones like the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H5. £200 well spent.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Wireless is the way forward; as long as one purchases some decent bluetooth earphones like the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H5. £200 well spent.

Why is it the way forward exactly? Bluetooth is a drain on the phone's battery, there is yet another battery to charge in the earphones themselves, and most importantly sound quality is inferior compared to a wired connection. The only positive is a lack of wires, if that's really such an issue that you would suffer reduced sound quality and battery life for it. Bluetooth earphones are the solution to a problem that practically nobody had.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.