Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I disagree with his analysis which basically is, it sucks, but it sucks because they didnt make a new case that works better. Rather than complaining it doesnt support GPUs, doesnt take more RAM, doesnt have ECC.

All these 'analysts' are always ending up fluffing apple rather than rightly criticizing it.

For ...heavens...sake, an i7 BEATS this the M2ultra. Its slots are completely gimped. A generation old AMD 6900XT beats the M2ultra at apple's own metal standard performance. THAT IS A LAUGHING STOCK EMBARRASSMENT!

Yet none of these guys have the guts to point out the elephant in the room and will let the public be ignorant of these unbelievably basic facts.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
For ...heavens...sake, an i7 BEATS this the M2ultra. Its slots are completely gimped. A generation old AMD 6900XT beats the M2ultra at apple's own metal standard performance. THAT IS A LAUGHING STOCK EMBARRASSMENT!
Huh?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

If your workflow is based on CineBench R23, lol, which is benchmark highly dependent on a open source raytracing library that is completely optimized for SSE/AVX by Intel itself.

Anyway, any workflows heavily tuned/optimized for Intel AVX instead of ARM NEON will be obviously faster with X86 processors, this is no surprise for anyone.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
If your workflow is based on CineBench R23, lol, which is benchmark highly dependent on a open source raytracing library that is completely optimized for SSE/AVX by Intel itself.

Anyway, any workflows heavily tuned/optimized for Intel AVX instead of ARM NEON will be obviously faster with X86 processors, this is no surprise for anyone.
It’s just copium.

• Haha
Reactions: elfamosisimoJON

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was very disappointed with Luke Miani. He could've put in real effort, bought PCIe cards, done tests and try to understand the Mac Pro, but he just did a short generic analysis for laughs.
Luke seems to live in his own bubble where the only "pro" that exists is a video editor who likes running benchmarks.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Almost all tech YouTubers that benchmark desktops/laptops will use tools related to their video editing workflow and other synthetic benchmarks.

If you want them to improve their review by including benchmarks specific to your workflow then speak up about it.

Those who want to avoid buying devices they have little reason to upgrade from... avoid YouTube reviews. I credit to them half a dozen purchases in the past decade.

Reactions: chfilm

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Just saw this new comparison in performance between the M2 Ultra 2023 Mac Pro vs the 2019 Intel Mac Pro. Results seems interesting. The M2 Ultra 2023 Mac Pro is fast.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Just saw this new comparison in performance between the M2 Ultra 2023 Mac Pro vs the 2019 Intel Mac Pro. Results seems interesting. The M2 Ultra 2023 Mac Pro is fast.
Comparing Vega II with M2 Ultra? Is he for real?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Well, after the first review - this one made my head hurt.

64 gigs of RAM on M2 is more efficient than 192 gigs on Intel because of Unified Memory? What? No. You need more memory on Apple Silicon because you're sharing your system memory and VRAM in one pool now. Sigh.

After the first review he also made a mistake on the PCIe bandwidth. The new Mac Pro has _less_ PCIe bandwidth than the old one. When Apple says they doubled the bandwidth - they only mean that PCIe4 has double the bandwidth of PCIe3. Not that the entire system has double the bandwidth.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This is damning on the Mac Pro. Even though its a cheaper device and more powerful at the entry level than a specced up version of its predecessor at 15k, many have moved on to the MacBook Pro as a better option for their needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does two more iterations on this SKU and call it a day. The market that are even targeting for this has already switched over to Windows and Linux using x86.

Reactions: vsc and dapa0s

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
This is damning on the Mac Pro. Even though its a cheaper device and more powerful at the entry level than a specced up version of its predecessor at 15k, many have moved on to the MacBook Pro as a better option for their needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does two more iterations on this SKU and call it a day. The market that are even targeting for this has already switched over to Windows and Linux using x86.
I need it, though. But I’ll still get the Mac Studio m2 ultra, I just don’t need the expansion slots that the mac pro offers, and the mac studio is extremely portable as well…

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Not true. In some cases yes. But not all. My 13900k can't beat even my M1 Ultra in some scenarios. This is why people need to stop relying so heavy on benchmarks. Yes, benchmarks would tell me to get rid of my Macs ASAP, but they actually make my job FASTER in real-world use. Things are much different now than just CPU cores and frequency.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Why would anyone buy it, when there is a much cheaper mac studio available? Who needs pcie slots, it’s 2023?
I am not putting up with the whine/whistle on the Mac Studio any more. I have literally been on the edge of just throwing my studio at the wall its so incredibly annoying. And I replaced it FIVE TIMES before I gave up and needed to get back to my work.

Also, PCIe slots are good for internal fast SSD expansion. I also don't like having two external SSDs just permanently connected to my Mac Studio.

It's for those reasons I am considering this 2023 Mac Pro. Plus, it does have the capability to increase the base storage too, so I can upgrade that later and not have to order it with 8TB now.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
I am not putting up with the whine/whistle on the Mac Studio any more. I have literally been on the edge of just throwing my studio at the wall its so incredibly annoying. And I replaced it FIVE TIMES before I gave up and needed to get back to my work.

Also, PCIe slots are good for internal fast SSD expansion. I also don't like having two external SSDs just permanently connected to my Mac Studio.

It's for those reasons I am considering this 2023 Mac Pro. Plus, it does have the capability to increase the base storage too, so I can upgrade that later and not have to order it with 8TB now.
Oh, interesting, which mac studio do you have? I’ve only ever experienced coil whine on an Intel Mac Mini I used to have, also replaced it three times with no success, but I thought that’s just Intel problems.

I might actually consider the Mac Pro now, since I need it for music production. Coil whine would just be unbearable.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Oh, interesting, which mac studio do you have? I’ve only ever experienced coil whine on an Intel Mac Mini I used to have, also replaced it three times with no success, but I thought that’s just Intel problems.

I might actually consider the Mac Pro now, since I need it for music production. Coil whine would just be unbearable.
I have the M1 Ultra Mac Studio, got it maxed out too thinking it would last a few years but not with this annoying sound its producing.

• Haha
Reactions: MrScratchHook

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Yeah, you're probably correct. May not be accurate. Just thought of sharing because of the thread topic. We might see more tests in the future.
It is accurate for the config they tested which is the one they had on hand. Some of the application would benefit from an upgraded gfx card on the 2019 Mac Pro But I doubt it would come close to m2 ultra ( except for maybe Geekbench compute)

For many applications there is nothing that can beat the m2 ultra. Eg. i don’t know the exact reason but Lightroom classic absolutely flies on Apple Silicon. Even if you put the Nvidia Rtx4090 on the top intel/amd cpu, it still wouldn’t come close to the m2 ultra. There are many other examples as well, just not Lightroom.

Reactions: Ethosik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.