Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
I have the M1 Ultra Mac Studio, got it maxed out too thinking it would last a few years but not with this annoying sound its producing.
Damn, that's pretty bad. You might have just convinced me to get the much more expensive Mac Pro...

Reactions: MrScratchHook

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
This is strange, no major YouTubers like iJustine or MKBHD with at least previews. Whats going on?

have them review a MBA 15" upon which 100's or 1,000's (over the long term ) of folks will buy after watchin the video or .....
have them review a MP 2023 aimed at a narrow set of professionals who largely don't watch their videos ????

That is what is going on. I think they all got Vision Pro demos also. How many Apple reviews are they going to do in a month? Even Vision Pro is likely to outsell the Mac Pro ( even at the 200-300K unit mark ).

There was a fair amount of stuff there. Apple spent 2 mins on Mac Pro and 20+ mins on Vision Pro. Where do you think they spent the market demo money on? [ That mega tent , super ephemeral demo site probably cost a ridiculous amount of money. ]

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

He bought one for himself (probably technically the 'company' ; so will be a depreciated asset over time) and 'reviewed' it at his own pace.

There is more about 'why' someone might buy it than on new, revealing performance measures. ( on CPU only benchmarks not much of a gap. Geekbench and Cinebench marks out in other media/forums already. Mac Pro gets slightly faster as apply more load to it on a protracted amount of time. )

I'm not so sure about his "Apple is going to change the chassis" notion though. Just look at the Mini and MBP 13". If Apple keeps the same six open slots , what substantive changes could/would they really make? Not much ( the size and ship is primarily being driven by the slot requirements for the full height , full length standard ) . If the device is nominally 'under' or 'beside' a desk , then I don't see an SD card slot coming. ( a TB dock actually on the literal desktop is far easier to reach. Same place a studio would nominally sitting and same 'easy reach' access.). If the box is on the floor then the top is "front facing" the user with the top to TB ports (like 'user facing' front two TB sockets on Studio).

A much smaller Mac Pro would likely draw even more 'question mark' responses from users as it got closer and closer to the size of the Mac Studio. ( Apple really doesn't need to 'Sherlock' the xMac Studio rack products either. Folks would need one slot, only a Max , and pressed for rack height space already have options. )

Also any sizably bigger SoC package is going to need more space and cooling. (either making more slots "half length" or maybe pushing entirely optional 3.5" drive out of the box even at the current size). If Mac Pro had 50% more 'power' ( 3x instead of 2x ) it would have done pretty well in his choice of things to benchmark against.

P.S. the 'warning' when you try to pull the cover off while it is running, if there is no card in slot 1 with a cable coming out... more folks will likely mistakenly do that without getting immediate feedback that they are doing something 'wrong'.

Reactions: dapa0s

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Well, after the first review - this one made my head hurt.

64 gigs of RAM on M2 is more efficient than 192 gigs on Intel because of Unified Memory? What? No. You need more memory on Apple Silicon because you're sharing your system memory and VRAM in one pool now. Sigh.

After the first review he also made a mistake on the PCIe bandwidth. The new Mac Pro has _less_ PCIe bandwidth than the old one. When Apple says they doubled the bandwidth - they only mean that PCIe4 has double the bandwidth of PCIe3. Not that the entire system has double the bandwidth.
Yep, agree with you and good point. Max Tech came up with a new video today saying the 2023 M2 Ultra Mac Pro didn't make sense. Max Tech stated that the PCie 4 bandwidth is share by all the slots and they don't have dedicated controllers. Thanks

Attachments

• MaxTech.jpg
    MaxTech.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 26

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yep, agree with you and good point. Max Tech came up with a new video today saying the 2023 M2 Ultra Mac Pro didn't make sense. Max Tech stated that the PCie 4 bandwidth is share by all the slots and they don't have dedicated controllers. Thanks
This is what I don't like about these YouTubers. A week ago they were singing praises about the new Mac Pro to get clicks. Not they say it was a huge mistake....to get clicks.

Can we stop rushing "reviews" to be the first. What happened to using a product for a week to review it properly instead of rushing saying "Its Great!" and a week later "actually....".

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
This is what I don't like about these YouTubers. A week ago they were singing praises about the new Mac Pro to get clicks. Not they say it was a huge mistake....to get clicks.

Can we stop rushing "reviews" to be the first. What happened to using a product for a week to review it properly instead of rushing saying "Its Great!" and a week later "actually....".

For the answer to your question in paragraph two, I will refer you to your statement regarding clicks in paragraph one...

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

I know Max Tech was singing a different tune in his second review. But his being upfront and being honest in his second video with the risk of embarrassing himself is something to be thankful. Max Tech's YT thumbnail showed "My $8000 Mistake" text title. Bloggers spend thousands of dollars on equipment and put in hard work on editing and coming out with a video review to help us in providing more info. Clients and employers also put weight on the creative, software skills in Mac Users and not just the equipment they use.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Not true. In some cases yes. But not all. My 13900k can't beat even my M1 Ultra in some scenarios. This is why people need to stop relying so heavy on benchmarks. Yes, benchmarks would tell me to get rid of my Macs ASAP, but they actually make my job FASTER in real-world use. Things are much different now than just CPU cores and frequency.

Yes, apple optimized encode/decode with custom modules. BTW some of those are now on intel chips and also could be utilized.

But I'm talking stock trade GeekBench numbers and definitely and more poignantly at apple's OWN metal standard. Metal performance is VERY real world, it is the entire graphics system in macOS. And general CPU/GPU performance is far more 'real world' and more of the experience than encode/decode.Apple loses at apple's OWN metal standard in performance. Let that sink in.

Dont get me wrong, the on-board encode/decode and neural engine accelerators are super welcome. But we disagree on how 'real world' they are in that their importance on a system is far from primary. The benches I shared, IMO, are far more primary.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

Really sad that he and no others are mentioning basic things like a lame i7/i9 intel machine outperforms the M2 ultra. He did flash up that the 6900XT outperforms the M2ultra and didnt really address that other than a general mention some pros need more GPU, but failed to address that specifically a generations old card walks the M2ultra in GPU ability. Pretty sad.

I keep giving him another try, but over and over, he just proves to be a typical platitudes YouTube. Expecting more is unrealistic I suppose.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
At least he mentioned the horrendous PCI speed/bandwidth limitations.

I dont get why he skips over that the CPU/GPU gets beat out by i7/6900XT, which is a real limitation.

Reactions: Macsonic

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes, apple optimized encode/decode with custom modules. BTW some of those are now on intel chips and also could be utilized.

But I'm talking stock trade GeekBench numbers and definitely and more poignantly at apple's OWN metal standard. Metal performance is VERY real world, it is the entire graphics system in macOS. And general CPU/GPU performance is far more 'real world' and more of the experience than encode/decode.Apple loses at apple's OWN metal standard in performance. Let that sink in.

Dont get me wrong, the on-board encode/decode and neural engine accelerators are super welcome. But we disagree on how 'real world' they are in that their importance on a system is far from primary. The benches I shared, IMO, are far more primary.
I also benefit from having more RAM available to the GPU. To fix this on Windows, I would need a Quadro or equivalent which is $5,000 or so just for that one device.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I also benefit from having more RAM available to the GPU. To fix this on Windows, I would need a Quadro or equivalent which is $5,000 or so just for that one device.

OK, very happy for YOU. Just like I was super happy for those that loved their, admitted by apple to be a mistake, trashcan macs.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
OK, very happy for YOU. Just like I was super happy for those that loved their, admitted by apple to be a mistake, trashcan macs.
Different situation. Apple thought the industry was heading one way, but was wrong. It was a failure by the decisions of Intel and AMD. It was actually far far more upgradeable than the Mac Studio. Now however, Apple controls everything.

I fully expect the Mac Pro will be in a better state with M3. There were far too many rumors from legitimate sources about 4x Max configuration for M1 Extreme and M2 Extreme.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Different situation. Apple thought the industry was heading one way, but was wrong. It was a failure by the decisions of Intel and AMD. It was actually far far more upgradeable than the Mac Studio. Now however, Apple controls everything.

I fully expect the Mac Pro will be in a better state with M3. There were far too many rumors from legitimate sources about 4x Max configuration for M1 Extreme and M2 Extreme.

I agree with your comments with regard to the M3. Fingers crossed. That doesn’t change the hearing now with the M2.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I agree with your comments with regard to the M3. Fingers crossed. That doesn’t change the hearing now with the M2.
It was a business decision they had to do now. They missed their 2 year transition. If they did not do it now, it would be until 2025 before we see a Apple Silicon Mac Pro. It was unfortunate. And what company would come out and say "Yeah Mac Pro is just a Mac Studio -- buy that instead". Of course Apple will spin it. That is what companies and marketing teams do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.