Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy it again?

• Yes

Votes: 132 83.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.0%

• Total voters

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Now that it's been out for over a year and for those who use it, would you buy it again? Are you using it as often as you thought?

Those who have one and don't find them selves using it often, what are your thoughts?

At the beginning, i didn't want one. I always have my iPhone with my so i didn't need the notification feature. I don't run or exercise (at least not as often as i should). Now, i just like the looks of it more than anything. the interchangeable bands, different faces and colors. I have 2 old timex watches that i wear on a daily basis (go with my work attire) and would really like the 42mm SS model. Seeing the sales pop-up a little more often, i may snag one but my mind changes often about the use of it other than to tell time.

So, would you buy it again?

Last edited:
Reactions: kanon14

starbright01

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015
I love mine but more for notifications and easy access to a phone incase of an emergency.
I don't really use the work out or heartbeat function.
So my battery lasts atleast a day and a half.

Reactions: yanki01

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I also love mine. It is great for glancing quickly at emails/facebook messages when I am in the lab, plus it is a great companion for my daily run. When I am at home I can go anywhere without worrying about carrying the phone with me.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I don't run or exercise (at least not as often as i should). Now, i just like the looks of it more than anything. the interchangeable bands, different faces and colors.
For those priorities, the AW is a no brainer. It is one of the best looking. The band swapping is great fun (I have more than a dozen bands). And, it does the notifications and Apple Pay great. The watch faces is one of the AW's weaknesses, but the ones it offers are decent. (Other smart watches probably have orders of magnitude more choices and complications, but some of the AW's faces are artistically superior.)

Personally, I am on the fence with it. Now that I have used a good activity tracker watch, I wish the AW had that. I could get far superior activity tracking for $110, and use the extra cash for other interests. But the cheap alternative does not do notifications very well. So, I am on the fence...

Reactions: sean000 and yanki01

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
For those priorities, the AW is a no brainer. It is one of the best looking. The band swapping is great fun (I have more than a dozen bands). And, it does the notifications and Apple Pay great. The watch faces is one of the AW's weaknesses, but the ones it offers are decent. (Other smart watches probably have orders of magnitude more choices and complications, but some of the AW's faces are artistically superior.)

Personally, I am on the fence with it. Now that I have used a good activity tracker watch, I wish the AW had that. I could get far superior activity tracking for $110, and use the extra cash for other interests. But the cheap alternative does not do notifications very well. So, I am on the fence...
Based on what I have read from you, I can't blame you for being on the fence.

What the Apple Watch does is great for me and I work out a lot. Lately, that has been tough with 16 hour flights every 7-14 days. However, my most important workout is weightlifting and there is nothing better. Well, at least for me. I put on my wireless headphones and start music on my watch. I start the workout app and load my fitness app. In general, I may lose the heart rate once or twice in 90 minutes and over a 90 graph, you can't even see on my fitness heart rate graphing app. Especially since OS3, the missed heart rate has dropped to basically nothing.

However, anyone who is serious about times and splits and perfect heart rate, will want something better. Maybe Apple Watch 2 will add GPS and better sensors in bands. Then it might win more over. Plus some health data fixes.

Reactions: xDKP and yanki01

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Most likely not.

It's fitness uses are limited. Trying to stop runs using force touch caused me to rely on my Garmin FR 225 for running. No GPS is only a minor concern.

Although I appreciate the notifications, it's not really worth the price.

Hopefully, watch OS 3 will improve my experience.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Most likely not.

It's fitness uses are limited. Trying to stop runs using force touch caused me to rely on my Garmin FR 225 for running. No GPS is only a minor concern.

Although I appreciate the notifications, it's not really worth the price.

Hopefully, watch OS 3 will improve my experience.
You will like OS3 for stopping a run for several reasons. You can setup runs to auto pause if you stop. You can press both sides buttons to pause. You get a lot more stats on your screen and the heart monitor works better. Nice graphing if you workout when you bring your phone and that makes me think GPS is coming. I hated the force touch to stop a workout. It took a several tries. Now, even when I swim, I just press the side buttons until I can dry off and then swipe to the right and end the workout. Also love that I can name my workouts.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You will like OS3 for stopping a run for several reasons. You can setup runs to auto pause if you stop. You can press both sides buttons to pause. You get a lot more stats on your screen and the heart monitor works better. Nice graphing if you workout when you bring your phone and that makes me think GPS is coming. I hated the force touch to stop a workout. It took a several tries. Now, even when I swim, I just press the side buttons until I can dry off and then swipe to the right and end the workout. Also love that I can name my workouts.

Totally agree. Some very nice improvements to the Workout app. If GPS is coming in the next watch that'll be a nice combo. The workout naming is nice - but they don't have swim as an option!!!

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Totally agree. Some very nice improvements to the Workout app. If GPS is coming in the next watch that'll be a nice combo. The workout naming is nice - but they don't have swim as an option!!!
I assume they left swimming off the choices on purpose until the next version if more waterproof/resistant. Otherwise, if they added swimming, people would blame Apple if their watch had water damage. Seems far fatched? I don't. People would definitely say "why do they have a swimming option in the workout if it can't do swimming". :)

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Of course! What is there not to love?!

702725679818e57b3e0e845c8c1b45b7.jpg

ianrip

macrumors 6502
I would buy again, but I still wont recommend it.
notifications are great, no need to pick your phone up for every stupid sms or reminder that doesn't need any action, that's the killer feature for me along with changing the straps/bands
version 3 will be huge, I think version 2 will be a small bump up

otozuz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
watchOS 3 will make me use it again after months, so yes, now I can say I'd buy it again :)

Can't wait to see iteration 2 and 3 from a hardware point of view.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Yup, I'd buy it again.

Whenever I try going the day without it, I miss calls or texts. I always wear it into bed to use it as my morning alarm clock. I greatly prefer it for giving driving directions -- I don't even want a navigation screen in my next car.

Some things are "meh", but the tricks it does better and more conveniently than a phone are what keep it on my wrist.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I bought the Apple Watch on release day. Prior to that I was wearing a Pebble. I use my Apple Watch constantly all day, every day without thinking about it. It wakes me up in the morning. During the night it has tracked my sleep. I get a reminder to take my medicine. It tracks my morning walk. My calendar notifications alert me. I get notifications of emails and texts, all day. It gives me directions when I need them. I can use it to control my house temperature. A few minutes ago, I got alert that something my daughter ordered on eBay had been delivered. I used it to buy a soda from the vending machine (Diet Caffeine Free Aspartame free Pepsi)

Oh, and yes it tells me the time. I would certainly recommend the Apple Watch to friends.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Absolutely! In fact when I do upgrade to the next version (and I'm not sure that I will, unless it makes rainbows or something... the kids would love that) I will hopefully be able to splurge on the Stainless Steel model. If not the SS (I do have kids to feed), then I'd be 95% as excited to get another Sport.

I bought my Sport in July, 2015 and I have worn it every day since then for 16 to 18 hours a day. I did leave it at home once and I drove myself crazy all day glancing at my blank wrist. That really drove home how many times a day I look at my watch for all kinds of information and updates. Since I rely on it so much I am skipping the beta (despite reports that it is pretty solid) and patiently waiting for the release of Watch OS3.

Over the past year I have added new apps and complications, or just leveraged a feature (new or old) that I had never tried before. That has kept the watch fresh for me and increased its usefulness. I have owned a lot of technology gadgets and mobile devices since the 1990's and I'd say the Apple Watch is definitely one of my favorites.

I would just add that there are still things about the watch that frustrate me from time to time, or features that I hope will improve. Given the ambition and complexity of the Apple Watch, I doubt it will ever reach a point when we all agree that it is perfect... but I do appreciate that Apple has continued to refine and improve the software with each update.

I do bicycle a lot, but I'm not training for competitions so the fitness features of the Apple Watch work fine for me. Even better than my old Fitbit One. I value the smartwatch features more than the fitness tracker features, but I can definitely see why the Apple Watch doesn't cut it for athletes who want more advanced fitness tracking. I would certainly recommend the Apple Watch to friends though (and I have) who don't need advanced fitness tracking (unless they want to buy a second more specialized device for that purpose). I think last Summer and Fall I gave the AW a cautious recommendation, but for 2016 I have given it a solid recommendation to anyone who asks. I think Watch OS3 will make it even more appealing to those who are interested.

Sean

Last edited:
Reactions: yanki01 and Thai

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I wear mine all day, every day and will almost certainly buy again. Whether I buy the next one or skip a generation or two will depend on what is added (I'm not interested in GPS or cellular but am interested in more health tracking features) and on whether it has the same strap connectors. If I have to buy new straps then there's every chance I'll stick with my existing silver sport for the foreseeable future; if I like the features and can use my existing straps, I might stump up for a stainless steel one next time.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
I've had mine for a month and a half and have greatly enjoyed it. I use the Workout app for light fitness (some treadmill or outdoor walking and biking). I like the interchangeable bands, the Apple Pay, and most of all the notifications.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Yes and will be upgrading to version 2 as soon as humanly possible (even if I have to get up at 3AM again to preorder)

That answer your question?

I'm a cyclist and work a job where I can't be on my phone all day so notifications on my watch are a godsend.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Based on what I have read from you, I can't blame you for being on the fence.

What the Apple Watch does is great for me and I work out a lot. Lately, that has been tough with 16 hour flights every 7-14 days. However, my most important workout is weightlifting and there is nothing better. Well, at least for me. I put on my wireless headphones and start music on my watch. I start the workout app and load my fitness app. In general, I may lose the heart rate once or twice in 90 minutes and over a 90 graph, you can't even see on my fitness heart rate graphing app. Especially since OS3, the missed heart rate has dropped to basically nothing.

However, anyone who is serious about times and splits and perfect heart rate, will want something better. Maybe Apple Watch 2 will add GPS and better sensors in bands. Then it might win more over. Plus some health data fixes.
what workout apps do you use, please? And how does it work for the weightlifting? Do you get time interval notifications? Ie. 1min go and 1 min rest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.