Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy it again?

• Yes

Votes: 132 83.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.0%

• Total voters

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Here is another spin on the original question to make it a little more real... How about "If your watch broke right now, would you replace it now, wait a month to see if an AW2 is announced and buy, or simply not replace it."

If my AW broke now, I would wait to see what AW2 offers, and then consider a buy. But, realistically, I probably would not spend another $350 for a new AW2, no matter how much it changes. Most likely, I would get a vivosmart HR and only wear that going forward. Then maybe, after a few months when sales and discounts kick in again for the AW2, I might buy one for $300.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
thanks for the last few replies. I was about to purchase a 42mm SS on BB for $399 ($520+ after apple care and taxes) but i kept pulling back. I don't think it will suit me well. I would use it as an everday watch but don't think i'll take full advantage of the features. someone mentioned it doesn't have a wow factor and i feel that. It's a nice piece to wear i would think, i'm still not sure.
[doublepost=1471873478][/doublepost]we've added a poll.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Its certainly harder to justify as my other apple devices, but non the less i would buy it again. It serves its role and is a nice gadget to have.

Reactions: yanki01

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
someone mentioned it doesn't have a wow factor and i feel that. It's a nice piece to wear i would think, i'm still not sure.
[doublepost=1471873478][/doublepost]we've added a poll.
If it did fitness better than anyone in the market, it still wouldn't have "wow factor" for most of the people that are jaded and waiting for the next big thing to blow their socks off. The thing about people that read tech sites like this is that every single development is met with snark and bitterness. We all just want more and whatever they offer, it will never be enough. The last time I was "wowed" was when I updated to SSD from spinning drives...that doesn't really even have the bling factor of the watch, though.

For me, I measure these type of devices by what they can do to make my life easier, not by some intangible feature like "wow factor". However, I remember just a few short years ago when taking a phone call on your wrist or controlling lighting or music by talking to your watch would have been considered extraordinary. Nowadays, it is met with the usual "meh" on forums.

Anyway, I use mine for notifications, weather, music, Siri (remote controlling lights, adding stuff to my grocery list, starting music on my iPhone), switching Airplay devices, controlling the iPhone for filming or taking snapshots, etc. It works for me. It may not be worth it for everyone, though. The new watch OS is supposed to be a huge update which will make some of my favorite features, like remote controlling my entertainment center even better....though, we all know it is coming, so I am sure it will be met with the usual "meh".

Here is another spin on the original question to make it a little more real... How about "If your watch broke right now, would you replace it now, wait a month to see if an AW2 is announced and buy, or simply not replace it."
I would not buy the AW1 if I broke it tomorrow. I would wait it out for the AW2.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
The last time I was "wowed" was when I updated to SSD from spinning drives...that doesn't really even have the bling factor of the watch, though.

same for me. upgraded my '09 MBP with a SSD and wow. i didn't think it would get any faster but i was wowed.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Its certainly harder to justify as my other apple devices, but non the less i would buy it again. It serves its role and is a nice gadget to have.

I have to agree here. While I primarily have my AW for the notifications and telling time without having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket, it is harder to justify having it. But if I had the chance to do it all over again, I still would buy the AW.

Reactions: yanki01

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
If mine broke TODAY and I could buy another one TOMORROW …

Yeah, I'd get one. I would probably look for a used one, SS with Milanese loop, but OS3 seems to be enough of a boost for me to forego any 2nd-gen hardware.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

If my AW broke now, I would wait to see what AW2 offers, and then consider a buy. But, realistically, I probably would not spend another $350 for a new AW2, no matter how much it changes. Most likely, I would get a vivosmart HR and only wear that going forward. Then maybe, after a few months when sales and discounts kick in again for the AW2, I might buy one for $300.

If mine broke today I would have a really hard time going a month without it (sad, I know...). September is also my busiest month of the year at work, so it would be an especially difficult month to go without something that really has become a useful tool for me at the office. I have Apple Care + so I would have my watch repaired or replaced and then sell it if I decided to get the new model. If I didn't have Apple Care + I would probably grit my teeth and wait, but I would also check for good deals on used or new AW's. So far I'm not seeing any rumors about the AW2 that will cause me to upgrade. I'm just looking forward to Watch OS3. Maybe I will new band when OS3 comes out (nothing too expensive... woven nylon or a third party Milanese loop) and then it will feel like a whole new watch!

Sean

Reactions: Southern Dad

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
My post raised the issue of a lack of a 'wow' factor. This is just my opinion, and entirely subjective.

I think the new question is better posed as 'if your watch was stolen, and the insurance company gave you the money for a new one, would you get it again?' This sides steps 'I've got Apple care' answers.

My answer is, I would wait until after 7th September.

I have read elsewhere on this site that 7th September is the anticipated date for the next Apple event at which new iphones, OS10 and Watch OS3 will launch. Plus this site's 'Apple Watch guide' says that Ming Chi Kuo believes AW2 will launched this fall. It seems to me if AW2 is coming out this fall or any time soon, it will be announced then.

If the prospect of AW2 was not imminent, I would get another one. I love my apple watch. I wouldn't be without it.

In the mean time, I am looking into a Garmin 735XT to better track my running and cycling. It also tracks swimming. Dedicated devices do their specific purpose better than 'jack of all trades' which is what AW tries to be. And I'll use both devices when running and cycling. I'll have one on each wrist.

Reactions: sean000

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
In the mean time, I am looking into a Garmin 735XT to better track my running and cycling. It also tracks swimming.
The 735XT is freaking awesome. I have had mine for about two months, and I wish I bought it at launch. I use it for swimming, biking, and running. The screen is huge and easy to read in all conditions. And it is also an excellent activity tracker and it does some pretty decent smartwatch functions. I used to wear both my AW and the Garmin while exercising, but I cut back to just the 735XT to simplify things.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
The 735XT is freaking awesome. I have had mine for about two months, and I wish I bought it at launch. I use it for swimming, biking, and running. The screen is huge and easy to read in all conditions. And it is also an excellent activity tracker and it does some pretty decent smartwatch functions. I used to wear both my AW and the Garmin while exercising, but I cut back to just the 735XT to simplify things.

I am so tempted by the 735xt. At the moment on Amazon, the price hasn't gone down much, as it was only launched recently. But I may treat myself this Christmas.

Do you do races? What distances do you do? Did you get it with the HRM bundle?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I am so tempted by the 735xt. At the moment on Amazon, the price hasn't gone down much, as it was only launched recently. But I may treat myself this Christmas.

Do you do races? What distances do you do? Did you get it with the HRM bundle?
I got mine from Swim Outlet-- 10% discount if you sign up for their email. Garmin has very tight price controls in the US.

I use it for running and triathlon races. I am planning a Boston Qualifier race in January, and Half Ironman is my target triathlon distance. About the only fault with the watch is that it will not get through a full Ironman distance, but it easily covers a half with tons of battery to spare. I did not get the bundle, because I already had an older chest strap and an optical Rhythm+. One of the key features I wanted was the wrist HR for simplification. The AW was my proof of concept that showed me that wrist HR an be very good.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I got mine from Swim Outlet-- 10% discount if you sign up for their email. Garmin has very tight price controls in the US.

I use it for running and triathlon races. I am planning a Boston Qualifier race in January, and Half Ironman is my target triathlon distance. About the only fault with the watch is that it will not get through a full Ironman distance, but it easily covers a half with tons of battery to spare. I did not get the bundle, because I already had an older chest strap and an optical Rhythm+. One of the key features I wanted was the wrist HR for simplification. The AW was my proof of concept that showed me that wrist HR an be very good.

If you're going for a Boston qualifier, you must be pretty fast.

I got an Edge 1000 (with sensors) for my bike in June. It's brilliant. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with Wahoo 'cheaper/alternative' sensors that I linked to my iphone. Despite more than 12 months of perseverance it wasn't worth it.

The Garmin was so easy to put on the bike and it 'just worked'. The interface isn't very user-friendly at first, but once you get it as you want it, you have set it and can just forget it. Now I just click it in and go.

In the UK Garmin prices stay firm if you buy from Garmin, but 6 months or so after launch, there are usually good deals on Amazon.

What is an 'optical rhythm+'?

Last edited:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
some good votes. would like to hear from the NO's on why they wouldn't buy it again.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm really not sure. I bought a used AW a couple weeks ago thinking I'd sell it and buy the new one when it comes out. I put watchOS 3 on it right away so the performance seems decent, I doubt that alone will be a reason to upgrade. GPS seems to be the main selling point but I have my phone with me everywhere I go anyway.

Now I'm thinking I may just keep this one. For one, I'm questioning how connected I really want to be. I do like using the AW as an activity tracker though. The main reason I'd probably upgrade is that this one is silver and I really want black. Hard to justify that though, may have to wait and see how much the resale on this one drops when the new one comes out.

To answer the spin on the question, if it broke right now would I go out and buy a new one? I would say probably not. May go with a Fitbit Blaze or something a little cheaper. I've actually been seeing quite a few of those around.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
If you're going for a Boston qualifier, you must be pretty fast.

I got an Edge 1000 (with sensors) for my bike in June. It's brilliant. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with Wahoo 'cheaper/alternative' sensors that I linked to my iphone. Despite more than 12 months of perseverance it wasn't worth it.

The Garmin was so easy to put on the bike and it 'just worked'. The interface isn't very user-friendly at first, but once you get it as you want it, you have set it and can just forget it. Now I just click it in and go.

In the UK Garmin prices stay firm if you buy from Garmin, but 6 months or so after launch, they are usually good deals on Amazon.

What is an 'optical rhythm+'?
I have the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HRM. It is on an elastic strap that you wear on your forearm or bicep. I prefer the forearm. It is simply fantastic, and I quit wearing a chest strap long ago. The 735XT can now re-broadcast HR to another device (like a bike computer), so that my end my use of the Rhythm+. It will in races, for sure.

I think that supplier price controls are illegal in the UK, so you will probably see discounts before the US.

I am not BQ-fast yet, but I plan to be there in five months. I just have to lose another 10-15 lbs. and crank on some intervals.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I have the Scosche Rhythm+ optical HRM. It is on an elastic strap that you wear on your forearm or bicep. I prefer the forearm. It is simply fantastic, and I quit wearing a chest strap long ago. The 735XT can now re-broadcast HR to another device (like a bike computer), so that my end my use of the Rhythm+. It will in races, for sure.

I think that supplier price controls are illegal in the UK, so you will probably see discounts before the US.

I am not BQ-fast yet, but I plan to be there in five months. I just have to lose another 10-15 lbs. and crank on some intervals.
Impressive. Most impressive (as my former padawan might say).

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Not only would I buy it again, I did buy it again. On April 17th, I fell on a set of concrete steps and scratched my Stainless Steel watch up pretty bad (and broke a finger). I dropped it off at the Apple Store to be sent off for repair, and the thought of going a week without it made me sad. So I bought a new one (Space Black) to use while mine was being repaired. The plan was to just sell it after I got mine back, but I like having two to choose from so I decided to keep it. I will see what Watch 2 offers, and then maybe sell one of these and upgrade to the newer model.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
no question.
it's become my favorite watch.

in fact, I've bought 6 more as gifts for family and business contacts.

Jerryrigged

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
I've only had mine for a few months. A little background: I'm one of the few who had a very positive experience with smart watches a couple decades ago! It was the Timex Datalink watch. It was a joint development with Microsoft. I could setup my calendar, notes, alarms, etc. on my computer, click send, and it would display barcodes on the CRT monitor to program the information into the watch! For business travel in the days before widespread smartphone use, it was a great convenience with flight numbers, confirmation numbers, appointments, phone numbers, etc. right in your watch!

So that is kind of what I was expecting with the AW. I was not really expecting to use any of the health features, but I am actually using it to keep track of my daily lunch walks with co-workers. Where I am a bit disappointed is with productivity. I can't believe it doesn't link up with the iPhone's Notes app!? That seems like it would be a given!

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I have the Milanese Loop, the Brown Leather Apple band, and the black sports band. I change them regularly and like the different looks. I also love having quick access to notifications, and I actually will accept phone calls on occasion.

800px-Timex_Datalink_Model_150.JPG

Reactions: sean000 and yanki01

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Where I am a bit disappointed is with productivity. I can't believe it doesn't link up with the iPhone's Notes app!? That seems like it would be a given!
As they say, "There's an app for that," but I can't remember off the top of my head which one works best. There has been discussion in the past here on MR about it, though.

Let's see what iOS 10 and watchOS 3 bring, too.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I've only had mine for a few months. A little background: I'm one of the few who had a very positive experience with smart watches a couple decades ago! It was the Timex Datalink watch. It was a joint development with Microsoft. I could setup my calendar, notes, alarms, etc. on my computer, click send, and it would display barcodes on the CRT monitor to program the information into the watch! For business travel in the days before widespread smartphone use, it was a great convenience with flight numbers, confirmation numbers, appointments, phone numbers, etc. right in your watch!

So that is kind of what I was expecting with the AW. I was not really expecting to use any of the health features, but I am actually using it to keep track of my daily lunch walks with co-workers. Where I am a bit disappointed is with productivity. I can't believe it doesn't link up with the iPhone's Notes app!? That seems like it would be a given!

Yes...I think the iOS Notes app is due for an update, so here's hoping iOS 10 and WatchOS3 bring some fresh ideas (and a watch app) to the notes table. I use OneNote for work and Evernote for home. Both have watch apps that will let me view recent notes (as well as dictate new notes), but there are probably third party note apps with better watch apps. I also sometimes use Cloud Outliner2, which makes it pretty easy to navigate and view multi-level outlines or checklists on the watch.

I haven't played with it yet, but there is an app called "Cheatsheet" that is designed to let you quickly access random bits of information that you frequently need, whatever they may be.

For airline boarding passes I would just use Wallet along with the airline's app. I used it for boarding passes for the first time this Summer. When it was time to board I got a notification that was just the QR code for my boarding pass. When I boarded I just pulled down my notifications, tapped the boarding pass, and scanned through.

Sean

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
You will like OS3 for stopping a run for several reasons. You can setup runs to auto pause if you stop. You can press both sides buttons to pause. You get a lot more stats on your screen and the heart monitor works better. Nice graphing if you workout when you bring your phone and that makes me think GPS is coming. I hated the force touch to stop a workout. It took a several tries. Now, even when I swim, I just press the side buttons until I can dry off and then swipe to the right and end the workout. Also love that I can name my workouts.

Wow that's a lot of small but very useful things. I workout quite a lot. Primarily bike and runs and love the watch as my companion. And must be honest I have been air-boxing a lot of evenings when I haven't quite reached my move or exercise goal, so yeah - it works.

And as others has said its just a beautiful watch and with the MANY different straps out there the customisation is endless

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Wow that's a lot of small but very useful things. I workout quite a lot. Primarily bike and runs and love the watch as my companion. And must be honest I have been air-boxing a lot of evenings when I haven't quite reached my move or exercise goal, so yeah - it works.

And as others has said its just a beautiful watch and with the MANY different straps out there the customisation is endless
You get to choose which metrics show and which don't. So, you could use the max for the workout type or 1 or 2 items. I love he variety. WOS3 has greatly improved on heart rate monitoring as well.

Love the band choices and how quick to change.

Reactions: xDKP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.