Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_MRCN

Cancelled
Feb 22, 2024
I recently switched to the iPhone 15 Pro from a regular iPhone 15. While using my iPhone 15, I encountered some issues when connected to an Ikea Bluetooth speaker. Initially, I attributed the problems to the speaker being too close to the Wi-Fi router.

However, after making the switch to the iPhone 15 Pro, I started experiencing a strange popup in the Dynamic Island, stating "device not supported." The popup disappeared after a few seconds, and the speaker continued to play fine. Occasionally, though, it would disrupt the sound to the extent that I had to unpair and pair it again. This has been disappointing for me, especially because I was expecting an exceptional experience with the iPhone 15 Pro. First, there was the issue of poor battery life, and now this.

I'm hoping that the problem is just a software issue and can be resolved through updates. As a result of these challenges, I'm hesitant to invest in AirPods, fearing they might introduce more problems. Instead, I've opted for affordable Soundcore earbuds, which seem to work well for now. To be honest, I'm feeling somewhat let down by my overall experience with the iPhone 15 Pro.

UnbreakableAlex

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2019
I had two incidents starting last week. my iPhone 15 pro Max was still connected to car Bluetooth but there was no sound playing from apple music.

Reactions: _MRCN

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hope Apple fixes the issue soon. Thankfully I have not faced this issue on my 15 Pro Max

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have not noticed any issues on my 15 vs the previous iPhones I used to use, but then again, it is Bluetooth, so at times it works better, at times - worse.

nopster

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I have the same problem: Iphone 15 Pro Max, Airpods Pro 1st gen, Spotify. While I'm wearing AP, I listen to the chime that is connected (and see on the Dynamic Island they are), but Spotify has the default speaker activated. So, I try to change the option directly on Spotify, but a spinning wheel appears and no sound on Airpods. I need to go to Bluetooth settings, disconnect bluetooth and then switch on again. Now Spotify plays on Airpods.
Anyway, sometimes Airpods disconnecting randomly. Terrible connection since iOS 17.3

Reactions: DaveOJr and _MRCN

yeye2

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
The issue persists with the iPhone 15 Pro Max, where the Bluetooth connection to the car is unstable. It occasionally maintains a connection for 3-5 minutes before disconnecting, while at other times, it disconnects every 15 seconds. This problem does not occur with the S23 Ultra and the iPhone 12 or 13.

This leads me to believe that the issue might stem from a hardware malfunction, possibly due to defective Bluetooth chips or not compatible with old cars, 2010-2015

Overall, my experience with the iPhone 15 running iOS 17 has been significantly less satisfactory compared to previous models, marking it as one of the most disappointing experiences since the iPhone 6S.

Reactions: DaveOJr and _MRCN

lm57400

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I am experiencing these same Bluetooth disconnections on my iPhone 14 Pro. It happened with iOS 17. I've noticed it seems to happen around the same places geographically. My theory is it has something to do with entering or leaving the range of a WiFi access point.
I have the exact same issue with my iPhone 15 PM. It sounds weird, but the connection between my AirPods Pro 2 is pretty unstable when I‘m at home. Apple Music and YouTube are getting very unresponsive.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Since it seems to have started on iOS 17, staying on iOS 16 and older iPhone seems to have been a good idea...

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
I can't say I've had any Bluetooth issues on my 15 Pro Max outside of the usual AirPods issues of randomly not connecting or deciding to connect to another device. But I've had the same issues with my previous iPhones, I don't know why Apple can't seem to get AirPods connections right.

Also, Teams continues to disconnect my AirPods and switch to the phone's speaker whenever I answer a call. I think that has to be Microsoft's fault though as nothing else does it.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
When I travel for work, I use my iPhone 15 PM as wifi hotspot. It worked well until last update. Now, hotspot doesn’t work properly at all. I have problems to connect with my MBP 14” as connection drops often. When I use USB cable, tethering ( not wifi)works without any hassle.

Mahieu

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2021
12pro user here. Most of the time BT must be switched off then on before I can use my airpods pro v1 or v2. Iphone running IOS17 (up to date).

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hardw
My wife is have this issue too on an iPhone 14 Pro Max, after upgrading to 17.3 or 17.3.1. Before that, never had issues. Music skips, stops and then randomly restarts. Very weird. With a 2014 Acura RDX - it may be that the update broke something about compatibility with older Bluetooth codecs.
That may be the issue, and it looks like Apple is unsure how to resolve it based on the amount of time it’s taking. Maybe they even caused new issues when they tried.

daniel11361

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
I thought it was my car until I found this post ! but had the same issue for several months now since I got the iPhone 15 ProMax.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
iPhone 15 Pro here. Yup, lots of bluetooth problems, since going from 12 to 15 back in November. Fortunately, the one bluetooth connection that I must have is my Continuous Glucose Monitor (I have type 1 diabetes). About 1 out of 3 times I get in my 2024 Audi (purchased in December), I get a "cannot connect to your smartphone device." After a while it sorts itself out. I will say that the range of bluetooth seems much better in the 15 than the 12, but the reliability is not great.

Reactions: coledog and _MRCN

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
iPhone 13 Pro. I have had connection issues with carplay and my new 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid. Sometimes it will not connect and I either have to shut the phone and car off and try again, or "forget" the phone and reconnect. That has been rare however. Yesterday a new problem emerged. I was able to listen to Apple Music via carplay, but when I switched to anything else like Quobuz or XM via the app....no sound. This morning it's back to working.

I have no idea if this is an Apple problem or a Honda problem, but I have had no firmware updates in the car recently.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
maybe it's time to ask car manufacturer what the problem is and not always blame the phone manufacturers?
Besides, most of the reported cars are simply old, with ancient bluetooth devices
Did you bother to read past the 2nd sentence of the article or any of the posts here with people having issues connecting to Airpods or HomePods or other headphones? It's not just old cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: JCCL and ralph_sws
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.