Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had to update the maps on my 12 year old Garmin Nuvi so I plugged it into my Mac mini and it started the downloading and copying process. An hour later and it was 5% done. So I tried it on my Windows desktop and it was done in 40 minutes. The Windows software displays a progress bar along with what it is doing and how much remaining time there is.

The Mac version just shows the bar. Software is often more important than hardware. Sure, Garmin makes versions for macOS and Windows but the Windows version works better.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm back to mixed Windows and Mac on my desktop. I had my Windows desktop on my second desk but I removed the 2010 iMac and the Windows Desktop has a monitor now. So I have an M1 mini hooked up to 2 4k monitors, a 5k iMac and the i7-10700 system.

Reactions: Cape Dave

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
MacOS Finder needs an overhaul. It requires jumping through additional hoops to do the same thing on Windows and Linux. Anyone know how to add paste to Finder's menu context without holding down keyboard option key and without using 3rd party software? Also, Windows and Linux SMB network file copy/paste 'just works' but not on MacOS where sometimes shared subfolder doesn't appear. So, if I have /share and underneath /share/1, /share/2 and /share/3 on Windows. Sometimes /share/3 doesn't appear when accessing from MacOS. And, after doing extensive SMB file copy/paste operations on MacOS, more so on Monterey, causes instability and beach ball.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After watching this video, its odd, frustrating, funny, that macOS has these short comings.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
After watching this video, its odd, frustrating, funny, that macOS has these short comings.

I can name a few more that I find really annoying.
But I can name a lot of windows ones for sure.
Linux on the other hand is a different beast. You can customize almost everything if you really wish it. But that implies that you really know your way around Linux, so it's not for a regular user.

Every OS has its downsides and upsides. And I love a lot of things in MacOS, Windows or any Linux DE.
That's why I use them all. And I don't switch them up just for a particular project, but based on boredom as well. If I get tired of MacOS for example, I will go to Linux/Windows. Or if one day I'm bored with Linux, I will go to Windows.

It keeps things interesting. And I love to know more about all OS out there. There is no right/wrong here. Just a personal or professional preference :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Every OS has its downsides and upsides.
Oh of course and seeing that LTT was the channel that released the video, I knew how it was going to play itself out and it didn't disappoint in that regard :)

Most of those issues defined are small little niggly things, but I agree with the inconsistency in how the traffic light buttons and full screen works.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I hate full screen apps on MacOS (cmd+ctrl+f). Not being able to have floating windows around is a joke.
Out of all window managers, I kinda like PopOS the most. You can have a mixture of regular floating windows with snapping (by dragging or by kb shortcuts), or even tiling for some advance users.

Out of the box, best experience I have ever seen.
But then on the other hand, I hate every email client I have tried under Linux...
:)

Reactions: Marsikus and three

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Finder is the weakest point of MacOS and their inability to tweak it or straight out change it tells me they have some issues on very low level.

Reactions: bobcomer

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Finder is the weakest point of MacOS and their inability to tweak it or straight out change it tells me they have some issues on very low level.

Finder is a joke. But so is Windows Explorer.
But there are really great alternatives on both platforms. And not just as additional apps, but as a complete replacement.

Reactions: Basic75

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
File/directory management is a task that is done better in windows then macOS
I can't even edit meta data on files in Finder but I could do all sorts of things to the meta data in Windows Explorer. Apple has no excuse for this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It always was, I remember when OSX 1.0 was announced and it wasn't going to have the Finder. People absolutely lost their minds, and Apple back tracked. Using the legacy macOS, OSX, and windows. I do find that windows file explorer to be the best of the lot.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I think it's possible to mix some amazing functionalities from Windows with some amazing functionalities from MacOS and make an absolute killer OS that is the best of both worlds. The problem is Microsoft and Apple are both so far up their own arses that they can't acknowledge the things that the other OS does better, so they pretend those things don't exist.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think it's possible to mix some amazing functionalities from Windows with some amazing functionalities from MacOS and make an absolute killer OS that is the best of both worlds. The problem is Microsoft and Apple are both so far up their own arses that they can't acknowledge the things that the other OS does better, so they pretend those things don't exist.

Totally agree!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The problem is Microsoft and Apple are both so far up their own arses that they can't acknowledge the things that the other OS does better,
I think Apple has the, "if its not invented here, it doesn't exist" mentality. Just look at how many times they announce a feature in such a way that implies that that invented it, but its already a feature in Android or windows.

Microsoft under Nadella has shown itself more willing to acknowledge that others may do things better. A prime example of this is the Windows Subsystem for Linux

Microsoft isn't perfect, windows has a lot of warts, but I think overall MS is more willing to adopt features that are popular or work well for consumers/developers/professionals.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think Apple has the, "if its not invented here, it doesn't exist" mentality. Just look at how many times they announce a feature in such a way that implies that that invented it, but its already a feature in Android or windows.

Microsoft under Nadella has shown itself more willing to acknowledge that others may do things better. A prime example of this is the Windows Subsystem for Linux

Microsoft isn't perfect, windows has a lot of warts, but I think overall MS is more willing to adopt features that are popular or work well for consumers/developers/professionals.
Generally I agree with the above but the whole windows as a service I really don't like. I hate that they try to monetize everything and call it a feature. I liked when Windows had actual releases and if you wanted it you had to pay for it. Also I liked software I bought and used locally on my device like a version of Office. I know there are still releases and we just had 11 drop not all to long ago. But I liked when every year or two there as a new Windows like, XP, Vista, etc.

Now it just feels like they don't really try to compete. They don't try to innovate. They have their user base and they know they aren't going anywhere. Monetizing Windows as a service means they are always trying to extract money from the customer base. Ads in the start menu has been rumored. I really hope it never happens. The extra telemetry in latest versions of Windows.

I also see using Chrome browser and Linux as admitting failure and instead of improving your product to compete they just gave up. Sort of like Windows Mobile. I had a few Windows phones and I really liked the UI.

But then what is the alternative? Apple and Linux. While I love the concept of open source software in real life it leaves a lot to be desired. Apple is really great for people who don't want a choice but rather just want the best money can get them. They will learn how Apple tells them to do something and stick with it and not want it done any other way. There are Mac power users but the majority doesn't want to think about hardware they just want everything to work. So if you are used to figuring things out in a way that deviates from the norm implemented by Apple then you on your own.

All OS have their way of doing things and there is nothing wrong with that but I agree that Apple is blind to a feature or hardware choice until they implement it. I like my Mac and iPhone but there are times where it just annoys me. The fact the new iPhone 14 Pro are the only devices with AOD always on display a feature that has been on many Android phones for years and Apple finally incorporated into iOS but for some reason it can't be implemented on my 13 Pro Max doesn't make sense.

I digress. Get me started on Windows and MacOS......Lol

Reactions: Pezimak and LeeW

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Sure, Garmin makes versions for macOS
With definition of done: just to put check box “done” on.
And every little thingy is patented.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Well, what’s better in Windows:
- easier and intuitive window management.
- old software compatibility.
- viable keyboard-only control.

However, Windows was terrible crap for decades, that still causing phantom pains :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On macOS there's a full Unix shell with all of its many file management possibilities just one mouse click away.
Yes, and the same or similar can be said with windows, but one could argue that a graphical file manager is the preferred method for many, dare I say most people. Navigating the directory tree using Windows File Manager or MacOS's Finder is much easier and faster then typing it in a terminal window.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
It depends, often is is faster and easier to do something in command line. Without going into deep nerdery, just simple things.
Check free disk space: `df -h`
Verify Checksum: `md5 some_file.name`
List zip contents: `zipinfo file.zip`

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Yes, and the same or similar can be said with windows, but one could argue that a graphical file manager is the preferred method for many, dare I say most people. Navigating the directory tree using Windows File Manager or MacOS's Finder is much easier and faster then typing it in a terminal window.
The command line is faster for nearly everything. Just a couple of trivial tasks are faster in the graphical interface. And once you get to using the pipe in the shell to combine commands you can do just soooo much more!

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.