Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The whole hackintosh segment is the same, and yet we have that as well.

Like speed limits on highways, I consider EULAs to be recommendations and not hard and fast contracts.

There are some opinions like this one that its not legally binding or won't hold up in court. I'm no lawyer but since Apple hasn't been too successful in shutting down the entire hackintosh world, I wouldn't worry about them knocking on your doors

It would be difficult to go after the Hackintosh community given that you can run the various Hackintosh enviroments on Apple hardware and there are tons of people who do that. There is lots of discussion on this in the macOS forums.

Apple has gone after computer makers selling Hackintoshes, but, to my knowledge, hasn't gone after any Hackintosh users. I would guess that Apple views these users as software customers and future Mac buyers as actually getting a Hackintosh up and running and maintaining it is more work than most people want to put in to their computers. It reminds me of easement law. There are people on YouTube who will sell you services in guiding you through building one. It's possible that they will build one for you as well though this isn't stated in their videos but they do sell their consulting services and, perhaps building one for you, is implied in that service. At any rate, it appears that it isn't a big enough issue for Apple to have cared about given the roaring success of Apple Silicon.

Microsoft has moved towards allowing unlicensed Windows, apparently looking to sell services instead of operating system licenses. You can download, install and run Windows 10 and Windows 11 without purchasing a license. In the case of Windows 11 ARM, where it's only licensed to run on Qualcomm CPUs, there are no checks and I'd guess that there are more people running it on Apple Silicon Macs than Qualcomm computers. Indeed, Parallels gives you basically a one-click install of Windows 11 ARM on Apple Silicon Macs which is a piece of cake to use.

On security research: there are carveouts in the DMCA for security research. The Copyright Office recently expanded carveouts for security research as well. A lot of this world hosts their software on Github so they would be up on this area as they would otherwise have liability for distributing tools that curcumvent security provisions. Here is an article on The Copyright Office expanding rights for security researchers; it's useful for seeing what the existing protections are too. https://github.blog/2021-11-23-copyright-office-expands-security-research-rights/

I think that the Hackintosh world is also hosted on Github. That's certainly the case for OpenCore. Clover appears to be on github; at least pieces of it are. TonyMacx86 has also been around for a very long time and distributes tools though I think that most go OpenCore these days.

I see Apple going to all Apple Silicon in 2023 and macOS aging out of x86 within five years so Apple probably feels that the world will go away eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see Apple going to all Apple Silicon in 2023 and macOS aging out of x86 within five years so Apple probably feels that the world will go away eventually.
Yep, I agree, and I definitely can see the next version being arm only - if not the 2023 version certainly the 2024 version of macOS.

Apple is all for moving people onto the latest hardware and if they can goose people off of intel, they will use every means possible

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yep, I agree, and I definitely can see the next version being arm only - if not the 2023 version certainly the 2024 version of macOS.

Apple is all for moving people onto the latest hardware and if they can goose people off of intel, they will use every means possible

There are articles out that talk about Apple losing chip engineers implying setbacks in their A and M series chips and that Apple is trying to retain remaining engineers. This is why the Extreme chip for the Mac Pro has been rumored to be cancelled.

It seems like Apple has dropped the ball here and it may take a year or two to recover. I do think that they can coast on their advantages for a while but they will have to get moving soon. I think that I can use my M1 hardware for quite a few years so I don't have issues if improvements slow down a lot.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems like Apple has dropped the ball here and it may take a year or two to recover.
Agreed, and also the expectation of the M2 being just a minor update in the first place - and with the brain drain occurring

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
the expectation of the M2 being just a minor update in the first place

Whilst I really like my M2 MBA due to the redesign I totally agree the M2 was not a significant upgrade. My new machine absolutely wasn't worth the £1,949 price tag. I paid it though. And that is because I will have this one for many years. Simply because I just don't see Apple being able to offer anything that will be a significant upgrade in the next 2/3 years at least. And for what I use it for I just can't see the M2 being close to outdated for a long time given my use.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
There are articles out that talk about Apple losing chip engineers implying setbacks in their A and M s
all I read (past tense) this year was how Apple is not good an they make mistakes and blah blah negative not good
while everything I own apple works great.

so I stopped reading

Macworld was the worse and we agreed to leave each other alone a few weeks ago, except for here.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
all I read (past tense) this year was how Apple is not good an they make mistakes and blah blah negative not good
while everything I own apple works great.

so I stopped reading

Macworld was the worse and we agreed to leave each other alone a few weeks ago, except for here.

You should get more diverse news sources then.

They do some things well and they do some things poorly. And sometimes at different times.

Best to just be objective.

Reactions: bobcomer

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
You should get more diverse news sources then.

They do some things well and they do some things poorly. And sometimes at different times.

Best to just be objective.
I simply gave up on articles simple because I can get all the  info here.
including those YouTubers who are entertaining, but have identity complex impairments.

and
"Sometimes Windows just gets the job done better"

I hope Microsoft does delete my account as promised on December 30.
this JOB started in early October

I might open champagne then, early!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Same, I'm looking at my desktop and I'm thinking should I???
I was just looking at prices today. :) My current Windows desktop has an i9-10900, the 13 gen part is twice as fast... And quite a bit faster than my Mac Studio Max.

Nobody has quite the hardware set I want yet and I don't particularly want to build it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.