Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i like command lines too, and they are sometimes definitely even faster (and of course much much more powerful), but copying files between two deeply nested directories, preferably with lots of spaces used in their names, is definitely not a task i'd pick a CLI over Finder/Explorer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
they are sometimes definitely even faster (and of course much much more powerful),
Oh no question, more powerful, and the actual operation can be faster, i.e., copying a 50gb file in the CLI vs. graphical will be faster, but my point is, that it tends to be faster for navigating and executing simple operations with the file manager.

For instance in file manager, it, it takes me 5 double clicks to get to C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Docker and a 6th to open log.txt

versus:
type: notepad C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Docker\log.txt

Would you rather double click 6 times, or type 50 characters? That's assuming you know the destination you're going too. I can't speak for everyone but many times, I need to see where things are, like trying to find a file for opatch (an oracle utility)

I'm not saying terminal is bad, but there many tasks that are just much more simpler and easier using the windows file manager (or Finder)

That being said, at work, I tend to use the terminal to get some file maintenance done, simply because it is more powerful.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i usually don't even double click inside Finder
most of the time i'm using the keyboard to navigate once i've clicked onto my starting point

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Oh no question, more powerful, and the actual operation can be faster, i.e., copying a 50gb file in the CLI vs. graphical will be faster, but my point is, that it tends to be faster for navigating and executing simple operations with the file manager.

For instance in file manager, it, it takes me 5 double clicks to get to C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Docker and a 6th to open log.txt

versus:
type: notepad C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\Docker\log.txt

Would you rather double click 6 times, or type 50 characters? That's assuming you know the destination you're going too. I can't speak for everyone but many times, I need to see where things are, like trying to find a file for opatch (an oracle utility)

I'm not saying terminal is bad, but there many tasks that are just much more simpler and easier using the windows file manager (or Finder)

That being said, at work, I tend to use the terminal to get some file maintenance done, simply because it is more powerful.
I've been using computers since a time before personal computers. A physical terminal (no screen) was a step up from card decks. The command line interface on a screen was a step up from the terminal. GUIs allowed for visual workflows. The right tool for the job.

I find it a bit amusing that many people I know who are enamored with a command line interface for its ease of directly performing tasks are also enamored with mechanical keyboards that offer high resistance that slows down touch typists. :confused:😁

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also the graphical file manager is a superior for a larger segment of computer users, and imo, less likely to bork something up.
I agree with you -- for most people the GUI is the best, fastest, and less likely to do something bad.

Even for me, I'd rather use the GUI. I only drop down to the command line for things that I know either would by impossible on the GUI, or way more steps than I want to do.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I agree with you -- for most people the GUI is the best, fastest, and less likely to do something bad.

Even for me, I'd rather use the GUI. I only drop down to the command line for things that I know either would by impossible on the GUI, or way more steps than I want to do.

For things that I do often which require the command line, I create a script and then turn it into an App and then put it on the desktop and attach a suitable icon. So one way to get a hybrid of UI/command line.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been using computers since a time before personal computers. A physical terminal (no screen) was a step up from card decks. The command line interface on a screen was a step up from the terminal. GUIs allowed for visual workflows. The right tool for the job.
I cut my teeth on punch cards, I was a computer operator on IBM mainframes before I became a programmer.

For things that I do often which require the command line, I create a script and then turn it into an App and then put it on the desktop and attach a suitable icon. So one way to get a hybrid of UI/command line.
Same, I use PowerShell Studio to write my scripts, and it actually can turn them into exes if I want.

Reactions: bobcomer

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Same here. And if it's a task that needs to be done every so often, I use task schedular to run it.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Same, I use PowerShell Studio to write my scripts, and it actually can turn them into exes if I want.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to turn scripts to apps in macOS as the process is somewhat convoluted. It's definitely worth the effort if I need to run it once a day or more often. It might make for a nice GUI project.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Seriously? Let me restate "the command line is faster for nearly everything" as "the command line is faster for every non-trivial task (and some trivial ones, too)". I mean, good luck replicating
Code:
du -sck `find . -type d` | sort -n
or
Code:
rsync -av --delete --exclude X --exclude Y Foo/ /Volumes/Bar/Foo/
in the GUI. Even with dedicated Apps for each task it'll take more time to launch them and let them do their thing. Things that you do frequently will have a Shell alias or a script file. And with tab-completion even just navigating around can be faster than clicking away in the Finder.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That is pretty cool, had not seen it before. However, taking a quick look at a bunch of sites, none of them answered my earlier question...

Sorry, I can't answer it for you. Licensing is discussed from time to time in the Docker-OSX world which was created by the security research community. It was primarily created to find security bugs in macOS, macOS applications and iOS and the people that use it do get paid by Apple for the bugs that they find. You could contact Sick Codes if you want his take on it.

Reactions: Boyd01

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Sure, Garmin makes versions for macOS and Windows but the Windows version works better.
Garmin software has always been crap on Macs. I had an Edge 205 years ago, and the software for that was always crap. Ruins otherwise good products for Mac users. Garmin have had long enough to sort it out though ffs. I wouldn't buy any of their products now, because of this. So there.

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Garmin software has always been crap on Macs. I had an Edge 205 years ago, and the software for that was always crap. Ruins otherwise good products for Mac users. Garmin have had long enough to sort it out though ffs. I wouldn't buy any of their products now, because of this. So there.

You can generally do most stuff on your phone or directly on the watch these days except for syncing music and podcasts. I keep my podcasts and music on Apple's ecosystem but my approach these days is to leave music static and listen to podcasts off my phone instead of my watch. I often like to carry my iPhone on runs and I always have it in the gym to record sets.

I use Garmin because it has the better feature set for me. I use the browser interface most of the time for reporting.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You could contact Sick Codes if you want his take on it.

Really doesn't matter much to me, but it's an interesting question. Here's the MacOS Ventura Software License Agreement. I'm certainly not a lawyer, but this part seems pretty easy to understand

"Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so."

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Really doesn't matter much to me, but it's an interesting question. Here's the MacOS Ventura Software License Agreement. I'm certainly not a lawyer, but this part seems pretty easy to understand

"Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so."

I believe that Sick Codes has talked to Apple about about publicly acknowledging Docker-OSX in the security research community but I don't know the progress of that. That they do pay the Docker-OSX folks for their work has implied at least tolerance for the project. Again, if you want to know the status on licensing for Docker-OSX, talk to Sick Codes. The guy is a legend in security research.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seriously? Let me restate "the command line is faster for nearly everything" as "the command line is faster for every non-trivial task (and some trivial ones, too)". I mean, good luck replicating
Here's the thing - you're entitled to your opinion and I mine. You may disagree, and that's fine, but I am firmly of the opinion that the file manager can be easier and faster to use, especially for the majority of users.

You love the CLI, more power to you, but that doesn't mean what you like is written in stone better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Doesn't that violate Apple's software license?
The whole hackintosh segment is the same, and yet we have that as well.

Like speed limits on highways, I consider EULAs to be recommendations and not hard and fast contracts.

There are some opinions like this one that its not legally binding or won't hold up in court. I'm no lawyer but since Apple hasn't been too successful in shutting down the entire hackintosh world, I wouldn't worry about them knocking on your doors

EULAs are not legally binding . When a consumer agrees to the terms specified in the license agreement, they are actually renting or purchasing a license from the vendor. The downside of a license agreement is that it doesn't protect the consumer. The EULA protects only the copyright owner. In fact, not only does the vendor own the license, but they also legally own any private data that the consumer entered into the software. These software owners can access, read, or share this private consumer data in any way they want.

Reactions: pshufd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.