Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Not for stills shooters with that flippy display. IBIS is nice. Pricy. I guess there's enough of a market to justify development and production for video.

I definitely want one. The flippy display great for Astrophotography as the camera is on either a Telescope or Astrotracker is in a strange orientation and the only way to see things is with the flippy display...

DSLR-and-telescope.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I never bother using the movable screen on my current cameras.....nor do I shoot video, but I can see that the flippy screen going out to the side would have appeal for those whose primary interest is in using it as a video camera, which would of course include vloggers.

As for the price, I wonder if that just over $2000 is body-only or with a kit lens included? That could make a difference in pricing, to a certain extent....

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
As for the price, I wonder if that just over $2000 is body-only or with a kit lens included? That could make a difference in pricing, to a certain extent....

“price will be above A7III (2.100 Euro and 2399 Euro with kit lens)”

Can’t tell if they are quoting the price of the A7III or the rumored price of this camera, but that’s $2400 USD for the body and another $350 for the kit lens before taking VAT into account.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
OK, I just checked B&H's price on the A7 III, and it is currently $1998 body-only, and $2198 with a 28-70mm kit lens. So it sounds as though the prices in the article are for the rumored price of this new camera. Guess we'll find out on Tuesday!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Nice looking camera for sure. Tough call on the rear screen: tilts are often favored by stills shooters (think overheads and low angle; flippy (flip front) by video folks (it's a bit more awkward for a still shooter overhead as it has to be out to the side). Expensive. Sort of reminds me of the Oly Pen F vs the E series cameras; a sort of high end compact.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Looks to be a little cheaper that we thought: $1799 (body only), $2099 (w/28-60mm lens)
Those rumors were way to expensive. This is a better price point.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Sounds pretty nice! It'll be interesting to see actual reviews once the camera and lens are available in the real world..... Also I wonder if Sony will indeed be bringing out more compact lenses to work with this camera body, too?
The 28-60 4.0-5.6 probably covers what they can do in a compact size with reasonable apertures, so I’m curious what else they can come up with. I suspect anything longer than that will get tough to keep manageable in size without being really slow. Still, not a bad kit, just not for me either.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
This camera might be the one that lures me away from Olympus and the (M)4/3 system.

Looked at the Nikon Z5 a few weeks ago, but this one checks even more boxes. (Well, except the price tag, that is.) Spectacular battery life and it's basically the same size as the Olympus OM-D E-M5, but with a Full Frame sensor. That is quite an achievement by Sony.

If - and it is still a big if - I'm gonna get myself a new system camera, the A7C now is at the top of my wish list.

Two questions though:

1) Does anyone know if the Sony app for iPhone/iPad are capable of tagging images with GPS data "on the fly"?

2) Has anyone tried the Sony FE 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 OSS superzoom? It seem to be a good jack-of-all-trades for travelling.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
FAIL - The lack of feature apparent on the "leaked" pre-announcement photos/renditions was confirmed. It has the one feature that I absolutely dislike on wife's a6000 (which plan to upgrade). Specifically, single control to adjust aperture and shutter where on the entire 7 Series since the original it has been two. While it doesn't matter if shooting in "A" or "S" mode as the wheel (or both wheels on the a7) controls the opposite function, probably 60% of my photos are in "M" mode. On the a7 Series the rear wheel (horizonal spin with location at top of camera) adjusts shutter and controlled by thumb and the front wheel just below shutter release controls aperture with horizonal spin using the pointing (shutter release) finger. By contrast, the a6000 (and the new 7c) have a single vertical spin button on top displacing the exposure compensation horizonal spin button on top - could use improvement - on the 7 Series. In "M" mode, it controls aperture. To adjust shutter, now spinning vertical, uses the multifunction wheel on back and careful not to apply pressure or will activate other functions - ISO, display features, etc - and suddenly changing those rather than shutter.

Updating the a6000? Short list was either the a6400 or a6600 but holding off
1. With the a7rIII, I don't need another FF
2. 24MP Crop sensor (1.5x factor) is beneficial supplement to FF with wildlife which would lose with 7c. Crop mode on a7rIII is 16MP
3. Another alternative would be to keep the dated a6000 and sell the a7rIII, at about the same net price move up to the a7rIV. While a huge jump (and file size) from 42MP to 61MP...in crop mode it is 24MP.

Now if they would just put a latch/release button on the exposure compensation wheel as it expends over the corner and is constantly bumped as walking about.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
This camera might be the one that lures me away from Olympus and the (M)4/3 system.

Looked at the Nikon Z5 a few weeks ago, but this one checks even more boxes. (Well, except the price tag, that is.) Spectacular battery life and it's basically the same size as the Olympus OM-D E-M5, but with a Full Frame sensor. That is quite an achievement by Sony.

If - and it is still a big if - I'm gonna get myself a new system camera, the A7C now is at the top of my wish list.

Two questions though:

1) Does anyone know if the Sony app for iPhone/iPad are capable of tagging images with GPS data "on the fly"?

2) Has anyone tried the Sony FE 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 OSS superzoom? It seem to be a good jack-of-all-trades for travelling.
Just remember to factor weight. The A7C + 24-240 combo you propose is very dense and will weigh almost 3 lbs, with the lens being the heavier half. Depending on your preferences, that could be rather awkward to hold and operate with such a small body. Usually if you have a compact body, you’re also wanting compact lenses. It’s not impossible, but it might present a challenge. I know that once my equipped camera exceeds 2lbs, I really start to notice it over my shoulder.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
a brand new camera aimed at bloggers without HEIC files - I think we can see where that format is going. If Apple wants the world to accept their format then why aren't they actively trying to get it in new cameras? (licensing costs for a format that can't be read on any browsers?)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just remember to factor weight. The A7C + 24-240 combo you propose is very dense and will weigh almost 3 lbs, with the lens being the heavier half. Depending on your preferences, that could be rather awkward to hold and operate with such a small body. Usually if you have a compact body, you’re also wanting compact lenses. It’s not impossible, but it might present a challenge. I know that once my equipped camera exceeds 2lbs, I really start to notice it over my shoulder.
If Sony (or others) makes a lighter superzoom I'll gladly take that in stead... ;)

Also: I'm expecting to use the kit FE 28-60 as the "day to day" lens, and then switch to the superzoom only those times I expect to need a bit more reach (and then the extra weight on the 24-240 out-weighs (!) the need to switch back and forth between the kit lens and a lighter normal zoom in the range 70 to 200).

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My guess is that Sony will indeed be making more compact lenses for this new line of compact camera bodies..... This is something I'll be keeping an eye on. Clearly this is their answer to the competition for smaller, yet powerful gear: m4/3, Nikon and Canon. I'm sure Nikon is less than thrilled at this announcement, because as Mitthrawnuruodo commented, "Looked at the Nikon Z5 a few weeks ago, but this one checks even more boxes...." I suspect there will be others saying much the same thing. Of course a lot depends upon what one has in mind for usage of the gear, too: how and where they'll be having it in hand.

Tizeye's point about the controls -- "Specifically, single control to adjust aperture and shutter where on the entire 7 Series since the original it has been two. While it doesn't matter if shooting in "A" or "S" mode as the wheel (or both wheels on the a7) controls the opposite function, probably 60% of my photos are in "M" mode." is well-taken if one is a photographer who actually likes to control the camera, but my hunch is that the target audience for this new camera, many of the stated vloggers, bloggers and travelers, more often than not will never take the thing off "Program" mode anyway.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
If Sony (or others) makes a lighter superzoom I'll gladly take that in stead... ;)

Also: I'm expecting to use the kit FE 28-60 as the "day to day" lens, and then switch to the superzoom only those times I expect to need a bit more reach (and then the extra weight on the 24-240 out-weighs (!) the need to switch back and forth between the kit lens and a lighter normal zoom in the range 70 to 200).

Awesome website to check out sizes:

Try the E 18-200LE(in crop mode):

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

At the next local KEH buyback, I've decided to let go of all the MFT equipment I purchased to try out. I've been taking a lot of low light pics and cropping and the MFT sensor isn't cutting it...

If Sony is defining the trend in Full Frame mirrorless with this new camera and lenses, it looks pretty bright.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Awesome website to check out sizes:

Try the E 18-200LE(in crop mode):

I was glancing at that exact lens, and the slightly lighter Tamron 18-200mm f/3.6-6.3 VC for my "superzoom" needs...

But, to be honest, I'm a bit weary of jumping to a full frame system and then buying a lens where you need to crop down the image to APS-C size, and not take advantage of the bigger sensor (with that lens, at least).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I was glancing at that exact lens, and the slightly lighter Tamron 18-200mm f/3.6-6.3 VC for my "superzoom" needs...

But, to be honest, I'm a bit weary of jumping to a full frame system and then buying a lens where you need to crop down the image to APS-C size, and not take advantage of the bigger sensor (with that lens, at least).

Unless you can physically or optically get close enough to the subject, you'll be cropping...

I mostly have to crop my Aviation Photos...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
a brand new camera aimed at bloggers without HEIC files - I think we can see where that format is going. If Apple wants the world to accept their format then why aren't they actively trying to get it in new cameras? (licensing costs for a format that can't be read on any browsers?)
Aimed at bloggers? did you mean vloggers? and if so, why would HEIC matter to them?

And Canon has adopted HEIF. The format isn't Apple's; it was developed by MPEG. https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/what-is-heic-3660408/

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Unless you can physically or optically get close enough to the subject, you'll be cropping...

I mostly have to crop my Aviation Photos...
That is true, but with the E lenses you _start_ with a crop, no matter how close you're getting.

So, if - and as I said it is a big if - I go for a full frame Sony, I'll probably invest in an FE lens. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.