Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
So I love the new Space Black, and I have owned the midnight blue air that suffered from being a finger print magnet and the color durability and wear being an issue especially around the USB ports.

I know that new space black color is anodized aluminum.

Anyone with any issues yet? How do we feel this color will hold up?

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
So I love the new Space Black, and I have owned the midnight blue air that suffered from being a finger print magnet and the color durability and wear being an issue especially around the USB ports.

I know that new space black color is anodized aluminum.

Anyone with any issues yet? How do we feel this color will hold up?
I haven't seen anodised aluminium laptops from other brands that don't lose colour on the sharp edges around USB ports...

Reactions: G5isAlive

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know the Midnight MacBook Air wasn't anodized and was sensitive to it. Wasn't sure if the Space Black would hold up better.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I know the Midnight MacBook Air wasn't anodized and was sensitive to it. Wasn't sure if the Space Black would hold up better.
The Midnight air is anodized aluminum.

Any anodized aluminum surface is just as susceptible to scratches as bare aluminum. It is not like a PVD coating or similar coatings that resist scratches.

The darker the color of anodization the more obvious wear to the finish to be.

There are different levels of quality to an anodized finish. But at the end of the day anodized aluminum is anodized aluminum.

If scratches and fingerprints really bother you get the silver color. It will look the best the longest. There is a reason that Apple used this color for so long.

But if you like black just get it. Enjoy it. Just baby it the best you can.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021

Every Macbook is anodized.
WHat the Space Black color has is an extra anodization layer to try to prevent fingerprints.
Non anodized aluminum is a shiny, very soft metal that woud get scratches and marks very easily.
Anodization is a chemical process that adds that "rough" look (if you use your iPhone with macro mode you'll see that the surface ihas a rough, etched surface), might add color and also strengthens the surface making it more durable.
That's why even the silver natural colored Macbooks if deeply scratched will show the shiny metal under that outer layer: that is the color of natural raw aluminum

Reactions: leifp and BeatCrazy

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just bumping this. I tried out a 16" MacBook Pro, just to see if I would like the bigger size. So far I am really liking the extra space but I noticed some paint chipping around the trackpad already right under the command key. Anyone else?

Attachments

• tempImageM5ddDn.png
    tempImageM5ddDn.png
    3 MB · Views: 779
  • tempImageSMXaee.png
    tempImageSMXaee.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 776
  • Wow
Reactions: henry72

G&N

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
Just bumping this. I tried out a 16" MacBook Pro, just to see if I would like the bigger size. So far I am really liking the extra space but I noticed some paint chipping around the trackpad already right under the command key. Anyone else?
And that is absolutely unacceptable. Well, I'll go for silver 16 this time around.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Durability………Only time will tell
There’s no way to know as Apple never had a Space Black Mac book
Before. While Apple is quality in what it does these Mac book pros take a lot of wear and tear so the answer may vary by user

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Sorry to see that, mines perfect. I'd look for an exchange on that!

loopi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
this is how my space gray 2019 16" looks like on the ports from those metal plugs, but around the trackpad normally no metal or hard object should have contact. this looks like manufacturing fault, I would not accept and return, since this can’t be unseen and clearly doesn’t match the quality you can and will expect for such expensive machines, especially when the special manufacturing process and the purpose of that is so emphasized. no worries, the nice people at apple will replace it without problems.

Mavrack

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Posted this in another thread, but I thought it would be relevant here too. Love the colour, but I’ve had issues with my models coming with scuffs or marks.

First one had a inch long scratch, second one had the following scuffs:

558B30FA-48AB-4BC0-924B-6B8D1FB84223.jpeg

878A30F0-01CA-43D2-8DB9-EF95BAB08847.jpeg

Third one had the following (smaller) scuff and has a dead pixel, going to try and exchange it later this week:

797A58F7-FE7E-456B-B5AC-8031D316853D.png

Adam Henry

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
my sb 14 is pristine. the only issue i could see is eventual scratches around the magsafe port which got me thinking does anyone make say a rubber or soft plastic connector that can be put into the port and then the power cable plugging into that? on mine the magnet in the port if very strong this time.

Reactions: decypher44

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
My 14" Space Black is perfect. The 16" just has that one scratch around the trackpad, which if I decide to go with the 16" I will exchange. Wondering about port wear though. I just can't get over how good looking the Space Black is and I am normally a Silver over Space Gray guy. I also went with the base M3 Max which will future proof for several years. Now just deciding on 14" vs 16".

Attachments

• tempImageWsvLlo.png
    tempImageWsvLlo.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 554
  • tempImageGjGQu7.png
    tempImageGjGQu7.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 634
Reactions: decypher44

Mavrack

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Not having any luck here ladies and gents. 4th one in a row with scuffs straight out of the box…

91684F44-B739-44E1-BDF7-3E6CEED6196F.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: dustSafa

JackNL

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020
Netherlands
Just hold off on purchasing the new model for a week or two, and let the "old" stock depleted, then you should have better luck getting a "perfect" unit.
The only thing is... how long will it have that 'perfect' look?

I planned to buy a 16" Space Black because it looks a bit more compact than the Silver model. However reading this thread convinced me to stay in the Silver camp :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.