Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’m sorry…but if it has gotten to the point that the advice being given to people is that we need to “not use our ports as much” because there may be a tiny, almost imperceptible amount of imperfection that appears as a result, then this is proof-positive that this debate has gone completely overboard. I have a 16” Space Black model. Does my unit have any insanely small imperfections like mentioned in this thread? Maybe…I don’t know - Because it ultimately doesn’t matter!

If you get your new MacBook and there is a huge gash, broken screen, faulty keys, or something similar on it, fine…do a return. Store returns are meant for significant failings of that type. But the things being shown and described in this thread as reasons for return are just WAY over the top.

There is ALWAYS going to be a certain amount of wear-and-tear on these machines as they get used...WHICH IS FINE. It’s not the end of the world! Your MacBook will still look great and other people are not going to be inspecting your machine in public or judging you because of a tiny, insignicant chip that occurs around a hinge or port.

By returning your laptop over and over again for something that is so insignificant, all you are doing is wearing yourself down mentally with stress, while also increasing costs for yourself and all of us, and decreasing inventory of great, wonderful units. Just relax…It’s a laptop! It’s not life-and-death!
I agree, I may have a higher level of OCD but I will say if you're paying $4000 USD for a computer it shouldn't have any noticeable defects upon purchase. Wear and tear is something that happens. Its personal preference over color and tolerance of wear and tear.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
That's my worry. How is everybody else doing with their Space Black?
I've had my 16" Space Black since launch. It arrived in perfect condition and remains in perfect condition with no discernible marks anywhere. However, my MBP hasn't left the house, so my use case is probably different than most. It is gorgeous and I'm so glad that I chose Space Black.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I've had my 16" Space Black since launch. It arrived in perfect condition and remains in perfect condition with no discernible marks anywhere. However, my MBP hasn't left the house, so my use case is probably different than most. It is gorgeous and I'm so glad that I chose Space Black.
Exactly 100% the same for me. I use it at hoe a lot, I do clean the keyboard and display at the end of the night, which is exactly all I did for every other Mac I have had. Mine looks great, very happy to have Space Black.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
The Space Black units will look fine a few years in…just like every other model. Going with a color you don’t like as much because of a fear of something cosmetic that ultimately means little to nothing is silly and over-the-top.
Um, or it's sensible if all your old black metal electronics from major manufactures look tatty after a few years, while the bare aluminium ones still look brand new?

Last edited:

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Having said that, I'd currently still pick a space black MBP because the color blends better with the ugly black rectangle the keyboard sits in, unlike on the MacBook Air.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
I agree, I may have a higher level of OCD but I will say if you're paying $4000 USD for a computer it shouldn't have any noticeable defects upon purchase. Wear and tear is something that happens. Its personal preference over color and tolerance of wear and tear.
But it's NOT a defect! There is ALWAYS going to be a margin of error with engineering of that type. What are you going to do?...Start measuring things at the molecular level? Where is the line? When does it cross over into silliness and an unhealthy obsession?

I think the issue is that your expectations are completely over-the-top. If you get a new machine and there are huge scratches, or defective keys, screen errors, or flat-out faulty hardware, then THAT is what the return process is designed for. It's not designed for people to have to use their cell phone camera to blow up a so-called "defect" that is so small that the average consumer would never, ever notice it unless you called their attention to it. The silly thing about all of this is that there is so much more that could actually be wrong INSIDE the machine that is way more serious than any of these 0.001 inch dots or scratch marks that people are obsessing over.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Um, or it's sensible if all your old black metal electronics from major manufactures look tatty after a few years, while the bare aluminium ones still look brand new?
There is no evidence to suggest that these Space Black models are going to look "tatty" after a few years.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
The stack of tatty black metal devices we own begs to disagree.
You don’t own “stacks of tatty black metal” MacBook Pro machines. It’s a new color - You have no evidence suggesting that these machines will look as you describe in a couple of years.

Reactions: ascender

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
With a bit o' luck, "space black" will be a "passing fancy" with Apple, as was the touchbar.

I liked space gray better.
So there.
I didn’t realize Apple was forcing you to buy a Space Black unit. My guess is that they will eventually offer three options in the Pro line: Space Black, Space Gray and Silver. I could also see them adding Starlight into the mix.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
I don’t buy into the nonsense of “the midnight blue has wear”. I am hard on mine and there’s not even a single scratch on it.
I think the bigger issue with the Midnight color has been with fingerprints, which Apple addressed with the Space Black color. It’s much better in that regard.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
You don’t own “stacks of tatty black metal” MacBook Pro machines. It’s a new color - You have no evidence suggesting that these machines will look as you describe in a couple of years.
If other reputable manufacturers are hopeless at it, I'm not sure if Apple have conjured up some magic that does what they cannot. Fingers crossed Apple have somehow done what hasn't been done before, as I might buy one!

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
If other reputable manufacturers are hopeless at it, I'm not sure if Apple have conjured up some magic that does what they cannot. Fingers crossed Apple have somehow done what hasn't been done before, as I might buy one!
OK. But the point remains that as of now, there is zero evidence that the Space Black models will look bad in a few years.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
OK. But the point remains that as of now, there is zero evidence that the Space Black models will look bad in a few years.
There's no evidence you and I are not immortal either, by that logic. Time will tell.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Seems that the quality level of the Space Black is not good enough to prevent the nicks, scuffs and scratches we are seeing
And it appears that Apples QC is OK with this dings and marks

Reactions: helloapple1

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Seems that the quality level of the Space Black is not good enough to prevent the nicks, scuffs and scratches we are seeing
And it appears that Apples QC is OK with this dings and marks
The nicks, scuffs, and scratches happen with every color Mac. The minority on MR always focus on the latest release making it sound like there is something terribly wrong instead of typical mass production instances.

Reactions: bevsb2

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I openly admit a lot of what I have seen is very small and most users will not see. There were a few instances like the exposed aluminum silver around the edge of the trackpad or a chip around the exhaust vents that are more glaringly obvious.

Space Black is a beautiful color, I believe imperfections are more noticeable and so will be the wear and tear.

Time will most certainly tell.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I openly admit a lot of what I have seen is very small and most users will not see. There were a few instances like the exposed aluminum silver around the edge of the trackpad or a chip around the exhaust vents that are more glaringly obvious.

Space Black is a beautiful color, I believe imperfections are more noticeable and so will be the wear and tear.

Time will most certainly tell.
This is mine after I brushed a coffee cup against it accidentally while placing it down / off to the right away from the laptop.

Also, seeing silver wear already on the MagSafe port and left USB C ports. I really should have gotten silver but couldn't resist the new color. Durable is not a term I would use for a finish like this, but it does look nice.

01EA1EB6-C287-4DC0-B4E3-000F93FA4300_1_105_c.jpeg

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
Dark will always show nicks and scratches, much more easily than silver. I think people who buy the dark already know that.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think what is really up for debate is not the normal wear and tear of anodized aluminum finish but the quality of this finish from the factory.

Anodization can be very tough and resistant or it can be very thin and poorly done. It seems the problem with the space black is getting a even and consistent finish and the quality of the finish when done.

For example, I had a Lenovo 7i laptop with a light to medium blue hard anodized aluminum finish. I dropped it a few feet onto a metal piece. It left a mark but did not damage the coating. If I would have done that with a MacBook with space black or Midnight blue I would have seen a mark and the silver aluminum coming through.

How Lenovo can put a tougher anodization finish on a much cheaper laptop makes me scratch my head but it is proof that there is a wide variability in the quality and durability of the anodization process.

The point is that Apple could not only make the finish at least consistent and without blemishes but also could use a finish that would be much more durable but instead it seems they use the most delicate anodization process. I wonder why that is?

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I think what is really up for debate is not the normal wear and tear of anodized aluminum finish but the quality of this finish from the factory.

Anodization can be very tough and resistant or it can be very thin and poorly done. It seems the problem with the space black is getting a even and consistent finish and the quality of the finish when done.

For example, I had a Lenovo 7i laptop with a light to medium blue hard anodized aluminum finish. I dropped it a few feet onto a metal piece. It left a mark but did not damage the coating. If I would have done that with a MacBook with space black or Midnight blue I would have seen a mark and the silver aluminum coming through.

How Lenovo can put a tougher anodization finish on a much cheaper laptop makes me scratch my head but it is proof that there is a wide variability in the quality and durability of the anodization process.

The point is that Apple could not only make the finish at least consistent and without blemishes but also could use a finish that would be much more durable but instead it seems they use the most delicate anodization process. I wonder why that is?
I've always heard on forums that the military can apparently anodise products well enough that the colour won't scrape off ... I must have been unlucky, as I've experienced this quality on no consumer product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.