Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Space Black looks great! Every time I use it though I am extremely careful, my OCD would kill me if I ever chipped or scratched the laptop. I have up until January 8th to swap out for silver...

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
The Space Black looks great! Every time I use it though I am extremely careful, my OCD would kill me if I ever chipped or scratched the laptop. I have up until January 8th to swap out for silver...
In that case you probably should swap it out because I have a Midnight MBA and I completely regret buying it. I should have stuck with silver like I did with my M1 MBA.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Silver looks classic, space black looks modern....

Attachments

• my-space-grey-m1-16in-mbp-next-to-my-new-space-black-m3-v0-a01lejib340c1.jpg
    my-space-grey-m1-16in-mbp-next-to-my-new-space-black-m3-v0-a01lejib340c1.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 429
  • m3-space-black-opinions-with-photos-v0-37250hw3jxyb1.jpg
    m3-space-black-opinions-with-photos-v0-37250hw3jxyb1.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 408
  • m3-space-black-opinions-with-photos-v0-xpvcbhw3jxyb1.jpg
    m3-space-black-opinions-with-photos-v0-xpvcbhw3jxyb1.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 417

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
I am glad there is a “black” option personally. Working on purchasing one in the future, perhaps around the time an M4 update occurs, if not sooner. As an owner of the Midnight M2 Air, with absolutely no regrets personally, I hope darker options remain the norm, and not a product cycle trend. The wear on the ports is contained within them on my Air, and are not noticeable from a normal distance. I have to look very closely inside them, and the rest of the body has held up beautifully. A daily wipe down is all I have needed to do, and my machine has to work hard and sees a lot of daily use and movement. Love the Space Black after seeing it in person, as much as I have loved the Midnight. Hopefully Apple adds Starlight to the Pro, or perhaps another colour as well, to give people more choices to suit their needs and desires.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
This is mine after I brushed a coffee cup against it accidentally while placing it down / off to the right away from the laptop.

Also, seeing silver wear already on the MagSafe port and left USB C ports. I really should have gotten silver but couldn't resist the new color. Durable is not a term I would use for a finish like this, but it does look nice.

View attachment 2329227
I‘ve owned several Silver MBPs over the years (have Space Gray now), and I can attest that those same types of corner scratches are also visible on the Silver machines. But I would agree the darker anodizing makes them stand out more.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I've owned a dozen 'classic' silver MacBooks over the years, and it will probably always be my first consideration. I have a Space Gray 14" MBP for work, and it seems to have held up fine for 1.5 years.

I think trying something new is always worthwhile, after all you'll never know if it's your favorite if you never try it!

So, I ordered a new 16" M3 Pro in Space Black. I've only had it a few days but it seems fine. Fingerprints are minimal, and it is more interesting to look at vs. the standard silver 16" model that it replaced.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
There's no evidence you and I are not immortal either, by that logic. Time will tell.

Do you have evidence you aren’t human? Do you have any evidence of any immortal biological being? You have tons of evidence humans are all mortal. I don’t need time to tell me your argument is flawed. I DO need time to observe how long a new finish lasts on a newly designed computer is going to look good. But the odds are black anodized Al will show scratches sooner than silver Al, so people silly enough to care should go silver.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Testing out the silver currently. It feels classic yet modern, very clean. It gives the optical illusion that it is larger than the Space Black which I would say is a negative but just a nitpick. The silver does feel like a classic Mac.

Pros and Cons of both:

Silver

+ Classic Mac Aesthetic
+ Clean Look
+ Better Durability Overall
- Appears Larger than Space Black
- Silver is more distracting below the screen

Space Black

+ Modern Aesthetic
+ Stealth Subdued Look
+ Appears smaller in size than Silver
- Worse Durability over time
- Space Black looks more like other PC's

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
I've always heard on forums that the military can apparently anodise products well enough that the colour won't scrape off ... I must have been unlucky, as I've experienced this quality on no consumer product.
I knew someone that worked on a facility that on demand anodised / chromatised / gilded / silvered etc all kinds of metal in all kinds of colours (well, really more treated the surface with specifically coloured metals). However, you must take into account that this usually involves (metal) chemicals that can be quite harmful to the environment.

A more durable layer may be possible, but might not fit into Apple's 'green' plans. Also, it can be quite expensive, depending on the colour or treatment.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I knew someone that worked on a facility that on demand anodised / chromatised / gilded / silvered etc all kinds of metal in all kinds of colours (well, really more treated the surface with specifically coloured metals). However, you must take into account that this usually involves (metal) chemicals that can be quite harmful to the environment.

A more durable layer may be possible, but might not fit into Apple's 'green' plans. Also, it can be quite expensive, depending on the colour or treatment.
Makes sense. If it was possible then cost/risk to human life had to be factors. It's usually the first reason 😅

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
My launch-day space black MBP still looks as good as new - no chips around the ports or marks etc. I don't see how the colour is any less durable than any other finish, but like Space Grey, if you dent/chip it, its probably going to be more obvious than on a silver example.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I don't see how the colour is any less durable than any other finish
The edges will eventually show wear when the black comes off. Plus the scratches and dings will expose the base metal, as you alluded to. No such colour loss can occur to a colour that matches the metal underneath. It's not like anyone is saying the device's internals will be more resilient to drops or anything... so unless you're defining durable in those terms, your comment is confusing. 🧐

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The edges will eventually show wear when the black comes off. Plus the scratches and dings will expose the base metal, as you alluded to. No such colour loss can occur to a colour that matches the metal underneath. It's not like anyone is saying the device's internals will be more resilient to drops or anything... so unless you're defining durable in those terms, your comment is confusing. 🧐
Except durability is about the resistance to abrasions, not contrasts in color. A silver finish, even if it matches the base color, can exhibit the same durability and the exposed non anodized material corrode just as if the anodized color was space black or gray,as it is no longer protected.

Two Appleseeds

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2022
I love the Space Black color, but the thing I like best is that there is no distraction when looking at the screen. My SB purchased at launch has no marks on it to date.
People completely underestimate how much less reflection there is on the space black screen. Apple created a very solid matte finish that pairs very well with the keyboard to merge seamlessly with presenting the screen so that you can focus on content with the least reflection I've ever seen on a macbook. People might say PCs did this or that, or that there was the old black macbook etc, but no one has a screen this amazing with this kind of build quality. The space black makes the macbook shine in ways that are frankly unprecedented. For lots of people this might not matter, but I personally love it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will rephrase durability with more visibility of wear. Space Black will show more imperfections vs the silver. Space Black blends nice with the keyboard, some like the contrast of the silver. Space Black also has the optical illusion of looking smaller vs silver. However silver looks classic...lol

Attachments

• IMG_1607 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1607 Large.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1606 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1606 Large.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: The Clark

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just an FYI. I spoke to an Apple Store employee today and they actually now have a return code for customers returning Space Black MacBook Pros because of out of box defects.

Those who have a Space Black, known locations of these defects are:

• Edge around the trackpad
• Edge around the keyboard well
• Along the edge of the bottom plate
• Around the rear lid hinges
• Scuffs anywhere on the body

Pictures of issues attached. Silver aluminum showing under the space black anodizing process, along cut or chiseled edges.

Apple will return and exchange, but I have now seen this on a lot of Space Black machines in store and my own personal units.

Attachments

• 878A30F0-01CA-43D2-8DB9-EF95BAB08847.jpeg
    878A30F0-01CA-43D2-8DB9-EF95BAB08847.jpeg
    871.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 95a5bbf9-cfdb-4dd4-88f3-22fb6abf0731.jpeg
    95a5bbf9-cfdb-4dd4-88f3-22fb6abf0731.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 558B30FA-48AB-4BC0-924B-6B8D1FB84223.jpeg
    558B30FA-48AB-4BC0-924B-6B8D1FB84223.jpeg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 178

Knightimer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I have the 16-inch space black MacBook Pro and my machine is perfect. I examined it in detail to make sure it was clean. Again, I don't have OCD and am not too critical of the aesthetics even if it is minor to the "normal" eye. What I am enjoying is the performance, battery life, and beautiful screen. As with all my laptops, I will have the normal wear and tear which does not bother me as much as the performance and functionality of the machine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.