Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Is the black inlay actually a separate part? I assumed it is. It would make manufacturing the upper body far more cost effective because they wouldn’t need to produce different shells for different keyboard layouts. I’m certainly hoping it isn’t paint!

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Is the black inlay actually a separate part? I assumed it is. It would make manufacturing the upper body far more cost effective because they wouldn’t need to produce different shells for different keyboard layouts. I’m certainly hoping it isn’t paint!
Looking at my work MacBook Pro and it just looks like it's painted/anodised...

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Classic beautiful contrast between keys and body:
View attachment 2350226

Modern black on black with no contrast between keys and body:
View attachment 2350227
I did understand, but I didn’t word my reply too clearly. The black keys on black shell contrasted with the rest of the silver body is what I actually think looks great. But I understand that it’s totally subjective.

Both the classic black on silver keys and the new black on black look great imo, but there’s something about the new look that I especially enjoy. It reminds me of the old TiBook era; it kind of has a retro-futuristic vibe (if you consider the mid-2000s to be “retro”).

Again…YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ric22

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I did understand, but I didn’t word my reply too clearly. The black keys on black shell contrasted with the rest of the silver body is what I actually think looks great. But I understand that it’s totally subjective.

Both the classic black on silver keys and the new black on black look great imo, but there’s something about the new look that I especially enjoy. It reminds me of the old TiBook era; it kind of has a retro-futuristic vibe (if you consider the mid-2000s to be “retro”).

Again…YMMV and all that.
I agree about the retro futuristic vibe- not just the keyboard inlay but the chunky shape of the thing. It's funny looking at Macs from a decade ago now, seeing that they had a more 'modern' look than the current ones (with their lids closed, I mean). I think the prettiest MacBook of all time is probably the M1 Air. Obviously all subjective! 😊

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I agree about the retro futuristic vibe- not just the keyboard inlay but the chunky shape of the thing. It's funny looking at Macs from a decade ago now, seeing that they had a more 'modern' look than the current ones (with their lids closed, I mean). I think the prettiest MacBook of all time is probably the M1 Air. Obviously all subjective! 😊
The most impressive moment for me in my (relatively) brief history with Macs was the first time I unboxed a Space Gray M1 Air and fired it up! I was totally blown away coming from the old unibody stuff 😁

Reactions: ric22

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I would have bought Space Gray if it were an option for the M3 Max, but I’m a creature of habit.

Couldn’t decide between silver or space black, so I let my wife decide. She chose space black.
I don’t understand why it isn’t.

Why take away options for people who are paying the higher premium for Pro/Max than those buying a base M3 MBP?

It should have been that M3 gets the old silver/SG and Pro/Max gets those plus a new exclusive color.

Makes no sense to me! 🤔

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I don’t understand why it isn’t.

Why take away options for people who are paying the higher premium for Pro/Max than those buying a base M3 MBP?

It should have been that M3 gets the old silver/SG and Pro/Max gets those plus a new exclusive color.

Makes no sense to me! 🤔

Because Apple. Someone in a board meeting probably thought they were being smart but it’s already cost them at least one sale. Limiting SB to the Pro Pro and Pro Max (lol?!) is one thing, but limiting SG to the un-Pro Pro is the dumbest idea imaginable. Almost as dumb as the preposterous names we have to use to describe these things to begin with.

🤦‍♂️x100

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
This is the wear on my 3-month old Space Black MacBook Pro…

IMG_3273.jpeg

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I chose silver (14-inch). My previous Space Grey MacBook Pro's both experienced a little wear around the ports, and I don't think that is going to happen at all with silver.

I just have the black in the keyboard well to worry about.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
OMG. What have you done?
Nothing... haven't been dropped or anything. I have had multiple Space Grey Macs in the past years (5, to be precise, from 2015 until now, excluding the current one) and have never had this issue with any of them.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Noticing a trend with some 3rd party resellers offering significantly greater discounts on Space Black. Silver demands the premium. Wonder if the black is not selling as expected? I certainly hope so because it would increase the chances of Apple realising what a dumbass idea it was to delete Space Gray. Highly unlikely, but we live in hope. Until then it's still no sale.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
This is the wear on my 3-month old Space Black MacBook Pro…

View attachment 2356084
There is no way that happens without something rubbng against it. Did you transport it around it a book bag or backpack with no protection? I got the case below to transport my 16 inch M3 Max to work. I had it since mid December and there is not a scratch or ding on it yet.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
Here is my all black Apple and Android setup. M3 Max, Apple Track pad, Logitech MX Anywhere 3 Mouse, MX Keys Mini.

Stand for the Mac is Twelve South Curve and Stand for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ is from Lamicall.

Case for MacBook is from Analog Cases

Attachments

• 20240308_202023.jpg
    20240308_202023.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20240308_202207.jpg
    20240308_202207.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20240308_202249.jpg
    20240308_202249.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 99

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
That case is ridiculous.
Why you say that? It's soft foam inside and the 16" fits like a glove with pockets underneath where all your accessories go. The outter shell is hard but and the case is very light weight. It's like Tank Armour for your Mac. They also make smaller ones for the 13" and 14" inch macbooks.

Reactions: jfm010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.