Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzly

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2023
Just an FYI. I spoke to an Apple Store employee today and they actually now have a return code for customers returning Space Black MacBook Pros because of out of box defects.

Those who have a Space Black, known locations of these defects are:

• Edge around the trackpad
• Edge around the keyboard well
• Along the edge of the bottom plate
• Around the rear lid hinges
• Scuffs anywhere on the body

Pictures of issues attached. Silver aluminum showing under the space black anodizing process, along cut or chiseled edges.

Apple will return and exchange, but I have now seen this on a lot of Space Black machines in store and my own personal units.

Thanks for the info. We can confirm that this is an ongoing issue. We could also assume that this has always been the case with silver and even space gray but these cosmetic imperfections happen to stand out more in space black.

I wonder if Apple will make any improvements to the coating/anodizing process at all.. I don't understand why some units are perfect while others come with these imperfections. By looking at the location of the defects, I assume these defects occurred during the assembly process. If that's the case, I don't think there will be any anodizing-specific improvements (e.g., adjusting certain chemicals used), and we just hope that we don't apply whatever degree of external force that may have been applied during the assembly process to our daily usage of space black Macbooks.

For those who say "these are just machines like cars with dents or scratches, there will always be wears and tears, enough with OCD!!" We are talking about "out of box" defects, not long term wears. Customers should be very disappointed about this.

For those who are extremely unhappy with these cosmetic issues, just get silver... because stress is bad for you! But I know.. space black is beautiful.. :(

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's one thing to scratch or scuff the MacBook yourself but for it to come with scratches and manufacturing defects already, I think thats unacceptable for paying thousands of dollars for a computer.

Apple has been honoring their return policy and taking back the units with defects which is good.

If you dont have them on your machine - thats wonderful. Almost all Space Black units I have seen, have some degree of this machined defect. I will admit most of what I have seen, most people will not notice, but for those who do, it is perfectly acceptable for you to have Apple return or exchange.

I am still debating wether to go Silver or Space Black. After I returned my last Space Black unit because of a defect I needed a moment to think if I wanted to go through the lottery again.

Space Black is a wonderful color, but they need to figure out how to prevent these defects from occurring, maybe that is why the Space Black Apple Watch Ultra never came out.

kzly

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2023
It's one thing to scratch or scuff the MacBook yourself but for it to come with scratches and manufacturing defects already, I think thats unacceptable for paying thousands of dollars for a computer.

Apple has been honoring their return policy and taking back the units with defects which is good.

If you dont have them on your machine - thats wonderful. Almost all Space Black units I have seen, have some degree of this machined defect. I will admit most of what I have seen, most people will not notice, but for those who do, it is perfectly acceptable for you to have Apple return or exchange.

I am still debating wether to go Silver or Space Black. After I returned my last Space Black unit because of a defect I needed a moment to think if I wanted to go through the lottery again.

Space Black is a wonderful color, but they need to figure out how to prevent these defects from occurring, maybe that is why the Space Black Apple Watch Ultra never came out.
I am in the same shoes as yours. My custom SB macbook pro is waiting in the cart to be checked out, but I am leaning towards skipping it. It looks like SB macbook’s resale value won’t be as high as other colors due to potentially more significant cosmetic wears.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I am in the same shoes as yours. My custom SB macbook pro is waiting in the cart to be checked out, but I am leaning towards skipping it. It looks like SB macbook’s resale value won’t be as high as other colors due to potentially more significant cosmetic wears.

A Sharpie is your friend. I've fixed small scratches on things with one. Not perfect, but better to me than were or scratches.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
So I decided I had enough with the Space Black Color lottery. Just my luck I received a silver unit today with a good sized dent. See images attached. What is going on with Apple QC?

Attachments

• tempImage8mcbdk.png
    tempImage8mcbdk.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 245
  • tempImagexJapOP.png
    tempImagexJapOP.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 249

kzly

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2023
So I decided I had enough with the Space Black Color lottery. Just my luck I received a silver unit today with a good sized dent. See images attached. What is going on with Apple QC?

I am waiting for my M3 Pro 16" space black... I am seriously considering skipping this generation. :( Did you pick it up from apple store or receive it from a carrier? How many defective units in total have you had before the silver one?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am waiting for my M3 Pro 16" space black... I am seriously considering skipping this generation. :( Did you pick it up from apple store or receive it from a carrier? How many defective units in total have you had before the silver one?
A few of them, see images.

The space black had some manufacturing issues where the aluminum is machined showing the silver beneath it, also I have had a few scuffs and dents on some of the units as well. See images.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 558B30FA-48AB-4BC0-924B-6B8D1FB84223.jpeg
    558B30FA-48AB-4BC0-924B-6B8D1FB84223.jpeg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 878A30F0-01CA-43D2-8DB9-EF95BAB08847.jpeg
    878A30F0-01CA-43D2-8DB9-EF95BAB08847.jpeg
    871.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 95a5bbf9-cfdb-4dd4-88f3-22fb6abf0731.jpeg
    95a5bbf9-cfdb-4dd4-88f3-22fb6abf0731.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: kzly

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I have the 16-inch space black MacBook Pro and my machine is perfect. I examined it in detail to make sure it was clean. Again, I don't have OCD and am not too critical of the aesthetics even if it is minor to the "normal" eye. What I am enjoying is the performance, battery life, and beautiful screen. As with all my laptops, I will have the normal wear and tear which does not bother me as much as the performance and functionality of the machine.
Did you check your screen with a flashlight does it have the known small dents or scratches?

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I have been seeing issues with dents and scratches in the screens on all MBPs. There is something definitely wrong during the assembly. I would suggest you send this to feedback section on the Apple website and send this to tcook@apple.com . They will never know if you not mail them, cause CS just doesn't do anything with the feedback.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just exchanged the dented Silver M3 Max MacBookPro, the new one is absolutely flawless. They let me check it over in the store. I am glad I finally got a good one. For the inconvenience - Apple actually offered me an accessory for free so I got an Blue Alpine Loop Apple Watch band.

Not sure what Apple is doing with their QC but their customer service is great!

If you get one of these new M3 MacBook Pros, I would just check over for dents/scratches/defects before the 14 day return window.

If your OCD like me, it's best to go with the Silver.

if you don't mind the potential manufacturing defects that show up on the Space Black or the potential for wear and tear to show the silver beneath the Space Black, then go with Space Black, its a beautiful color.

My take is Silver is Classic Apple, Space Black is Modern/Stealth. Both great colors!

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I wonder if there is some tooling or process that is causing those dents. I had to exchange three times for finish issues. Two of those three had dents in the exact same area as you show in your pics.

Reactions: kzly

kzly

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2023
A few of them, see images.

The space black had some manufacturing issues where the aluminum is machined showing the silver beneath it, also I have had a few scuffs and dents on some of the units as well. See images.

Were these macbook pros all CTO (Custom Order)? I ordered my m3 pro about a week ago and don't want to end up waiting for another 2-3 weeks if I find those QC issues and order another one...

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Were these macbook pros all CTO (Custom Order)? I ordered my m3 pro about a week ago and don't want to end up waiting for another 2-3 weeks if I find those QC issues and order another one...
The two that purchased that had dents were BTO that I bought from Micro Center.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
People completely underestimate how much less reflection there is on the space black screen. Apple created a very solid matte finish that pairs very well with the keyboard to merge seamlessly with presenting the screen so that you can focus on content with the least reflection I've ever seen on a macbook. People might say PCs did this or that, or that there was the old black macbook etc, but no one has a screen this amazing with this kind of build quality. The space black makes the macbook shine in ways that are frankly unprecedented. For lots of people this might not matter, but I personally love it.
100% this. I don't buy Apple laptops for how they look but what they do and the difference even between my space grey M2 and this one is pretty big in terms of distractions on screen. I'll take care of it but I imagine over time, some wear will appear.

Reactions: bevsb2

PO2345

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Houston
Hi fellas. Haven't read the whole thread, but is it safe to say avoid the Black due to QC issues? I'm buying the M3 MBP 14' soon, so figured i'd ask which color is showing to be most durable? Silver ? Space Grey?

Raebo

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2021
Every time this thread pops up I check out my space black but I don't see any scratches or dents on it. I will admit that I have not taken a flashlight to it. Did I get lucky? Maybe. If I scratch it I think it will be more visible than space grey or silver. I assume eventually it will get a couple little scratches on it since all my laptops eventually got some minor scratches on them. I am more careful with this one because of the price and this thread.
I looked up space black issues at reddit. One person mentioned getting marks around the MagSafe port from connecting it. Most seem to really like their space black. The 2 most common complaints were that the dust was more visible so they had to wipe it off more (maybe that is a good thing???). The other negative comment was that it just doesn't look like an apple product out in public (I can't believe some would worry about that.)
As far as durability I guess time will tell but like I said, I think any scratches I get will be more visible.
If possible anything that cost this much I would buy in store and check it out before purchasing. If you have to order from apple, I think you have a 14 day window.
Finally, I think the space black runs faster and performs better than the other colors. JUST KIDDING!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.