Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Why you say that? It's soft foam inside and the 16" fits like a glove with pockets underneath where all your accessories go. The outter shell is hard but and the case is very light weight. It's like Tank Armour for your Mac. They also make smaller ones for the 13" and 14" inch macbooks.
I suspect he said that because it adds a gigantic amount of bulk!

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I suspect he said that because it adds a gigantic amount of bulk!
Better safe than sorry. If you drop a MacBook on concrete on your commute in a slim sleeve is not going to survive. If you drop it with this it will survive. Just like my s23 Ultra is in an Otterbox Defender case in a holster on my hip. It's hit the concrete floor twice since I have bought it and was saved both times. I am in the restaurant and hotel industry and it's a punishing environment cause **** happens sooner or later. But I don't see the bulk being any bulkier transporting it than a huge backpack on your back.

Reactions: jfm010

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I know it would hide the outside of the Space Black case that some of us chose, because of the nice color, but... Have any of you put a skin on to prevent scratches/scuffs?

I had one on my lask macbook pro, and it kinda feels naked without it. Every time I set my metal rimmed eyeglasses down on the case or keypad, I wonder if I am going to scratch the surface. I am worrying to much?

Last edited:

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
OMG. What have you done?
Use the computer.

Aluminum anodization is only a few thousands of an inch thick (0.001" to 0.004" in, about 0.025 mm to 0.1 mm). It's a process that turns the outer layer of aluminum into harder aluminum oxide, and in the process, opens pores in the metal, which you can deposit color dye into (in this case, black). Though the finish is durable, it's still relatively soft, and even something softer like your skin will wear through it with enough time and pressure. Especially in areas like the sharp corners on the palm rests - rub your hand/arm against this every day for enough time, and it will wear down the surface - taking the anodization (and the color) off first, since it's just under the surface and very thin. On non-color anodized aluminum (the silver "color" Macbooks) this wear is almost unnoticeable besides the texture change - the rougher bead-blasted aluminum becomes polished smooth by your skin.

As you use the space black Macbooks with enough time and wear, eventually almost all of the corners will look or start to look like that. The middle area of the palm rest will look especially rough after many years, polished back down to bare aluminum, not to mention all of the small scratches your macbook will get. The added contrast of dark black color against bright white aluminum will make it look much worse than the relatively small contrast of space gray to bare metal.

You see a similar effect on military weapons - they are also anodized black, although much thicker (type II hardcoat). They get heavily used, and eventually the black color wears through. Your Macbook probably sees more handling than a military weapon, and in more areas (a weapon is always held the same way, a Macbook gets handled in many positions) . The difference is the anodization of a weapon is seen as a sacrificial protective coating, whereas the anodization of your Macbook is seen as its permanent color. Much like the paint on a forklift or tractor compared to the paint of a car.

Space black's durability is going to vary based on your use patterns and length of service. If you upgrade often, it's not gonna matter too much. But if you intend to buy and keep it for a long time, even more so if you are a power user using it hands on, just be aware the black finish will wear noticeably. If you care about that, maybe go with the silver instead.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Use the computer.

Aluminum anodization is only a few thousands of an inch thick (0.001" to 0.004" in, about 0.025 mm to 0.1 mm). It's a process that turns the outer layer of aluminum into harder aluminum oxide, and in the process, opens pores in the metal, which you can deposit color dye into (in this case, black). Though the finish is durable, it's still relatively soft, and even something softer like your skin will wear through it with enough time and pressure. Especially in areas like the sharp corners on the palm rests - rub your hand/arm against this every day for enough time, and it will wear down the surface - taking the anodization (and the color) off first, since it's just under the surface and very thin. On non-color anodized aluminum (the silver "color" Macbooks) this wear is almost unnoticeable besides the texture change - the rougher bead-blasted aluminum becomes polished smooth by your skin.

As you use the space black Macbooks with enough time and wear, eventually almost all of the corners will look or start to look like that. The middle area of the palm rest will look especially rough after many years, polished back down to bare aluminum, not to mention all of the small scratches your macbook will get. The added contrast of dark black color against bright white aluminum will make it look much worse than the relatively small contrast of space gray to bare metal.

You see a similar effect on military weapons - they are also anodized black, although much thicker (type II hardcoat). They get heavily used, and eventually the black color wears through. Your Macbook probably sees more handling than a military weapon, and in more areas (a weapon is always held the same way, a Macbook gets handled in many positions) . The difference is the anodization of a weapon is seen as a sacrificial protective coating, whereas the anodization of your Macbook is seen as its permanent color. Much like the paint on a forklift or tractor compared to the paint of a car.

Space black's durability is going to vary based on your use patterns and length of service. If you upgrade often, it's not gonna matter too much. But if you intend to buy and keep it for a long time, even more so if you are a power user using it hands on, just be aware the black finish will wear noticeably. If you care about that, maybe go with the silver instead.

This why deleting Space Gray as an option was the dumbest idea imaginable. It’s gray enough to look super cool but silver enough to barely show any wear & tear. Space Black is a disaster waiting to happen the moment you unbox it ☹️

Reactions: teralpar

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
This why deleting Space Gray as an option was the dumbest idea imaginable. It’s gray enough to look super cool but silver enough to barely show any wear & tear. Space Black is a disaster waiting to happen the moment you unbox it ☹️
Agreed. Even the most heavily worn Space Gray Macbooks I've seen on eBay and the like have looked acceptable to me. As a power user (3+ hours a day) using it mostly as a laptop/hands on, I really wish Space Gray was an option as I frankly just don't like the silver. Just another item in Apple's long list of inexplicable decisions.

• Love
Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Agreed. Even the most heavily worn Space Gray Macbooks I've seen on eBay and the like have looked acceptable to me. As a power user (3+ hours a day) using it mostly as a laptop/hands on, I really wish Space Gray was an option as I frankly just don't like the silver. Just another item in Apple's long list of inexplicable decisions.

100%

It’s egregious enough to stop me buying. The straw that broke the camel’s back, as it were. Typically anti-consumer as I’ve come to expect from Apple. They literally deleted a bunch of buyers. Unbelievable.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I can see this becoming the next 'gate' before long when 2+ year old Space Black MacBooks start to look like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards. Repeatedly. And I wouldn't be surprised if they also pull this trick with the upcoming iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.