Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Spotify presumably submitted an update that goes beyond what is allowed, so that they can they complain saying look Apple won't let us do X, etc, and hope EU forces them to offer more. 9 days is not very long to review such an app that may intentionally be breaking rules. If they responded quickly Spotify would complain they didn't even look and just blocking their app. So not matter what Apple does they will have a prepared statement to stir things up. Also if Apple approved quickly and then discovered later Spotify secretly snuck in things to break the rules, and then removed it from the App Store, Spotify would say why didn't they catch it sooner and they are just being mean etc.

mvwoensel

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2024
Spotify and Epic want access to over a billion iPhone users without paying a red cent to Apple for that access.
You're been reading too many Apple press releases. It's a lie that Spotify and Epic aren't willing to pay Apple for access to resources, tools, support, app distribution, payment processing, etc. And they're already doing that by being a member of the Developer Program.

If Apple believes that the money they earn from the Developer Program, ads in the App Store, and voluntary use of their payment system, is not enough to cover the cost of maintaining iOS and the App Store, then maybe Apple should change their business model instead of terrorizing and extorting developers by abusing their market power.

Last edited:

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
Spotify presumably submitted an update that goes beyond what is allowed, so that they can they complain saying look Apple won't let us do X, etc, and hope EU forces them to offer more. 9 days is not very long to review such an app that may intentionally be breaking rules. If they responded quickly Spotify would complain they didn't even look and just blocking their app. So not matter what Apple does they will have a prepared statement to stir things up. Also if Apple approved quickly and then discovered later Spotify secretly snuck in things to break the rules, and then removed it from the App Store, Spotify would say why didn't they catch it sooner and they are just being mean etc.
Apple are probably still trying to find where the native HomePod support is Spotify previously promised and everything else! 🤣

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Time for all these pointless music services to just do their own thing. Make a phone that people want or just sell records through a catalog stamp system. If you want to be on a phone, just make it. Or just make it work in a browser.

I’ll never give a dime to Spotify, although I hear they control the European market. Time for Apple to start attacking.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
spotify hasn't paid anything to apple so far. Now, according to the new rules, they will have to pay for each user. ;)
Well done Apple.

They paid Apple their developer fee and brought them a hugely popular app.

I'm not sure I accept the basic premise, which Apple seem to take for granted, that they are entitled to a cut of all commerce that happens on the platform.

You are right, though, about Apple's maneuvering here.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple are probably still trying to find where the native HomePod support is Spotify previously promised and everything else! 🤣

If these companies would talk to each other besides through lawyers the users would be so much better off. Apple is doing what Google did ten+ years ago, and deciding to make themselves a competitor to everyone.

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022

Apple has not approved a Spotify app update that adds information on subscription pricing and links its website, Spotify complained today in an email to the European Commission (via The Verge). Spotify says that Apple has not "acknowledged nor responded" to its App Store submission.

Apple-vs-Spotify-feature2.jpg

The European Commission on March 4 fined Apple almost $2 billion and said that Apple abused its dominant position in the market by preventing music streaming services from telling users about more affordable subscription prices outside of their iOS apps. The EC said that it is "illegal under EU antitrust rules" for Apple to keep developers from telling customers about cheaper music subscription options.

Apple was told that it must "remove anti-steering provisions" in the European Union, and so on March 5, Spotify submitted an app update that included subscription pricing tiers and options to pay without using in-app purchase. Spotify says that it has not had a response from Apple since submitting the update.

Spotify told the European Commission that Apple's lack of response is "yet another example" of how Apple "will seek to circumvent and/or not comply with the Commission's decision." Spotify asked the EC to require Apple to approve the app update.

In a statement to The Verge, Spotify also said that Apple's delay "directly conflicts" with Apple's statements about processing app submissions within 24 hours, and "flies in the face of the timeline for adoption" from the EC.The ruling from the European Commission that requires Apple to eliminate anti-steering rules is separate from the app ecosystem changes that Apple made in the European Union with iOS 17.4 to comply with the Digital Markets Act (DMA).

Under the terms of the DMA, Spotify is allowed to distribute a Spotify app to EU users outside of the App Store, but it would be required to pay Apple's Core Technology Fee for each user. Spotify currently does not pay Apple any commission.

The DMA also permits Spotify to direct users to make purchases on its website while also providing information on in-app promotions, discounts, and deals, but again, Spotify would need to agree to Apple's updated business terms and fees to implement these changes. Spotify has not clarified if it adopted Apple's new terms or if its update has been submitted without doing so.

Article Link: Spotify Complains That Apple Hasn't Approved Update With Subscription Pricing and Links in EU
Maybe the people in the EU should complain about Spotify ripping artist off.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Baloney. Spotify and Epic want access to over a billion iPhone users without paying a red cent to Apple for that access. Both are acting like the dicks that run them.
Sorry, but I’m not Apple’s to own and grant or restrict others from access to me. Unless of course Apple would like to pay me for that privilege. I’m open to offers.

mvwoensel

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2024
Spotify most likely did not agree to the new EU TOS. They submitted the app update with the links before the DMA rules took effect and right after the fine imposed by the Commission. They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to avoid the new non-App Store fees.
Spotify doesn't need to agree to Apple's new terms, and this has nothing to do with the DMA: https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/5/24091430/spotify-links-pricing-information-iphone-eu-app

Last edited:

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Apple is just getting destroyed by the European Commission. It's getting kind of funny really.
I wouldn’t say Apple is being destroyed. More annoyed. Unless I missed an update, Apple won the court case on the “back taxes”. The EU Commission appealed, but I think that case has been held up in court.
Apple has no issues taking this stuff to court as Apple tends to have a history of winning there (winning being on a broad definition)

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Why doesn’t Spotify make their own phone?
Or better yet. If their product is so good, stop offering it on Apple devices and get your user base to switch to Android.

Edit: now I know people have a right to their own opinion and I would love to know why some are angry at my statement. Personally, if Spotify or Epic think they are the bees knees (etc) and their products are so great, I am not suggesting they make their own hardware, but instead take the fight to Apple’s hardware sales/money and not offer their great products on a platform that they feel is “mean” to them. If I bought my iPhone for how awesome Spotify is and they stopped offering an App because of big “bad” Apple, I would probably trade my iPhone in for whatever supports my favorite music streaming service.

(Personally I won’t touch Spotify.)
So stop crying to mommy and bring back the good old, after school playground beat downs.

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
So sue a company then expect concierge treatment

I mean Apple says they treat all developers equally. They even flew people out to Spotify to personally work with them!

They do that for all their developers, especially the ones that "pay Apple nothing" don't they?

I can't count the number of indie developers on this forum that go on and on about how Apple keeps sending them engineers!

Before all that sarcasm reads as too harsh, Apple is in all this mess for unfair rules and inconsistent behavior. I don't understand why Apple seems to think they are absolutely perfect and blameless here.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Question: are the other streaming services whining as much. I don’t use them, so I can’t remember their names.
I don’t hear the people behind Genshin Impact complaining like Epic does.

So, why don’t the other groups that have similar products file complaints too?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I bet you there are thousands of apps that were submitted on day 1. so how about Spotify wait 7 business days before complaining?

They do not have a VIP pass to jump to the front of the approval line

Apple specifically said that they have flown engineers out to Spotify headquarters to personally work with them.

They were just in court with this very company over developer agreements and fined a record fine.

I don't know I think they could have done better than...*checks notes*...absolutely nothing in nine days time.

• Angry
Reactions: hacky and AlexMac89

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Question: are the other streaming services whining as much. I don’t use them, so I can’t remember their names.
I don’t hear the people behind Genshin Impact complaining like Epic does.

So, why don’t the other groups that have similar products file complaints too?

Money = justice. Let's go ahead and just take that as given.

A very small percentage of developers make the vast majority of money on the app store.

We've seen what happened to Epic when a developer tries to argue with Apple, and loses.

It's sad but the state we're in is that these big companies fight for their own interests and maybe, if we're lucky, users get something good too.

But they can't just go to court and say they want a better business deal so they make more money. It has to be about policy. And really, it is. But in this twisted way.

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022
If these companies would talk to each other besides through lawyers the users would be so much better off. Apple is doing what Google did ten+ years ago, and deciding to make themselves a competitor to everyone.
Google still hates anyone doing better than them, of course which is everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.