Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Apple should approve it ... and then sit back and watch the lack of interest from users in using it ;)

Spotify havent exactly been great at converting Free accounts into Paid ones.
Most likely all they'll get are more freeloaders.

Anyway, I turned my Paid account into a Free one. Bye A$12.99 to them.

They havent delivered the high res music option the promised two years ago.
Too busy complaining and not adding features customers want and expect in 2024.

relaxedpanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2023
Mind you, this is Spotify having this problem.

Now think of how many small indie developers are currently experiencing the same delay as well.

To those of you who think this is a minor issue, you've never run your own business before. Delays that take hours/days can cost companies a ton, and I'm sure Spotify from the biz side has made adjustments to how they operate based on the expectation that Apple would literally follow a law they were just fined billions for.

What a sad company Apple has turned out to be. Maybe Nvidia will start coming out with their own mobile consumer products one day?

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
Mind you, this is Spotify having this problem.

Now think of how many small indie developers are currently experiencing the same delay as well.

To those of you who think this is a minor issue, you've never run your own business before. Delays that take hours/days can cost companies a ton, and I'm sure Spotify from the biz side has made adjustments to how they operate based on the expectation that Apple would literally follow a law they were just fined billions for.

What a sad company Apple has turned out to be. Maybe Nvidia will start coming out with their own mobile consumer products one day?
These are updates! not new apps, I am pretty sure this is Spotify being a spoiled ass.... If there are 4K apps that submitted updates on day 1, you really think they can properly vet them in under a day?

Also, why does it seem like it is ONLY Spotify and Epic that have been constantly complaining?

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Apple are probably still trying to find where the native HomePod support is Spotify previously promised and everything else! 🤣
No kidding. I’m guessing at this point Spotify employs more lawyers than developers.

I cancelled Spotify premium and switched fully to Apple Music simply because of Spotify’s failure to update its app. Promised features never arrive, even when the APIs exist for years.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
If I want Spotify on my Mac (which I don't), I go to their site and download it, then install it. Done.

There's no good reason -- Apple profits don't count -- that it should be different on a device that fits in my pocket.

You're been reading too many Apple press releases. It's a lie that Spotify and Epic aren't willing to pay Apple for access to resources, tools, support, app distribution, payment processing, etc. And they're already doing that by being a member of the Developer Program.

If Apple believes that the money they earn from the Developer Program, ads in the App Store, and voluntary use of their payment system, is not enough to cover the cost of maintaining iOS and the App Store, then maybe Apple should change their business model instead of terrorizing and extorting developers by abusing their market power.
Spotify should make their own phone and not be beholden to Apple’s terror and extortion.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Apple being a child. You would think Apple knows that they have a lot of eyes on them and already being heavy question and looked at for at best malicious compliance to even breaking the laws. The more items that get added to the list that are questionable the harder and harder Apple defense and stance gets. Apple is just asking for massive fines to come hammering down.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
Apple being a child. You would think Apple knows that they have a lot of eyes on them and already being heavy question and looked at for at best malicious compliance to even breaking the laws. The more items that get added to the list that are questionable the harder and harder Apple defense and stance gets. Apple is just asking for massive fines to come hammering down.
its been less than a damn week (business days) Spotify is just impatient, and apparently expected their app to be approved instantly...

which never happens....

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Spotify presumably submitted an update that goes beyond what is allowed, so that they can they complain saying look Apple won't let us do X, etc, and hope EU forces them to offer more. 9 days is not very long to review such an app that may intentionally be breaking rules. If they responded quickly Spotify would complain they didn't even look and just blocking their app. So not matter what Apple does they will have a prepared statement to stir things up. Also if Apple approved quickly and then discovered later Spotify secretly snuck in things to break the rules, and then removed it from the App Store, Spotify would say why didn't they catch it sooner and they are just being mean etc.
9 days is a very long time. Anything over 24 hours in Apple's world now is long. Hitting 9 days beyond questionable. You can get 48 hours and cover on it. Getting to 9 days that is nuts. Apple reviews have been getting longer but by longer you are talking about closer to 24 hours more often. Longest review in the past year for me with 12 releases has been 36 hours.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
its been less than a damn week (business days) Spotify is just impatient, and apparently expected their app to be approved instantly...

which never happens....
Remember normal review times for 12 app release by me with in app subscription and ways to do it outside of the app has been is under 24 hours. The Longest I think looking threw the records was 36 hours counting weekends. I think the 36 hours was I submitted on a friday afternoon and got approval sunday.

36 hour is a hell of a lot less than 216 hours and counting.. That is a massive difference in time.

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
9 days is a very long time. Anything over 24 hours in Apple's world now is long. Hitting 9 days beyond questionable. You can get 48 hours and cover on it. Getting to 9 days that is nuts. Apple reviews have been getting longer but by longer you are talking about closer to 24 hours more often. Longest review in the past year for me with 12 releases has been 36 hours.
Do you realize how many devs probably submitted apps on Day 1 of the new rules?

This is not just a normal app submission.. I would not be shocked if there were more than 100K submitted on day one alone

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
Remember normal review times for 12 app release by me with in app subscription and ways to do it outside of the app has been is under 24 hours. The Longest I think looking threw the records was 36 hours counting weekends. I think the 36 hours was I submitted on a friday afternoon and got approval sunday.

36 hour is a hell of a lot less than 216 hours and counting.. That is a massive difference in time.
see above... this is not just a normal app submission

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
see above... this is not just a normal app submission
same answer 36 hours vs 216 hours and counting. There is no way they have spike that high mix that with we have not been hearing reports of others getting closer to 216 hours. You are at a 6x factor already over slow times.
So that excuse above not adding up and yet again Apple is already on thin ice for their stunts already that no one is believing so again repeats not adding up.

You need a better excuse.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Money = justice. Let's go ahead and just take that as given.

A very small percentage of developers make the vast majority of money on the app store.

We've seen what happened to Epic when a developer tries to argue with Apple, and loses.

It's sad but the state we're in is that these big companies fight for their own interests and maybe, if we're lucky, users get something good too.

But they can't just go to court and say they want a better business deal so they make more money. It has to be about policy. And really, it is. But in this twisted way.
What I find to be crazy, (now I am no lawyer and it’s been a lot of years since I was in Uni) but there are maybe 5-10 provisions in Apple’s App Store policies that I could not find a legal/language way around.

Though, instead of complaining about not having access to feature XYZ, I would

If I was a bank or financial institution: Make the argument with Apple to allow the same level of integration of my bank’s cards in the Apple Wallet as the Apple Card. Apple shouldn’t care if people have their card or not, what they should care about in this aspect is… how easy they make it for consumers to use their funds regardless of the bank - because at the end of the day if the consumer loves the integration between their bank and the ease of Apple Wallet that consumer will continue to buy Apple hardware.

If I was a game developer: I would make the argument to Apple to create their own game/App story currency that could be used across any game or app that incorporated the feature and make it a better split then what we have now, with no ceiling. Why? Apple has spent billions to R&D their product which allows us as a developer to reach billions of users. Apple has added features that create ease of use for the consumer and we would like to have a stronger win-win for both parties. Apple having a universal currency means we don’t have to worry about maintaining our own. The better split, allows us to spend more money on improving our games and releasing new titles which means the consumer has a reason/desire to continue to buy Apple hardware as they know they will have access to better games and apps.

(I have more thoughts on the matter, but mostly I am too old and too tired to continue listening to people whining about how unfair life is).

STOCK411

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2007
same answer 36 hours vs 216 hours and counting. There is no way they have spike that high mix that with we have not been hearing reports of others getting closer to 216 hours. You are at a 6x factor already over slow times.
So that excuse above not adding up and yet again Apple is already on thin ice for their stunts already that no one is believing so again repeats not adding up.

You need a better excuse.
Lets wait until a company other than Spotify or Epic reports the same delays... Since right now the only two that are continuing to run their mouths complaining about apple are those two companies....

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Spotify is not a phone manufacturer; Apple is. And Spotify doesn't need to be in order to have accurate complaints about Apple's behavior.
Apple wasn't a desktop chip manufacturer until they were. They could really stick to Apple when the only place to listen to Spotify was on their own phone.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Apple wasn't a desktop chip manufacturer until they were. They could really stick to Apple when the only place to listen to Spotify was on their own phone.
This only furthers the EU’s point that Apple has too much market power if the only viable alternative is to develop an entire smartphone platform. And how far would you like to take that argument? If a one man dev team doesn’t like the way he’s being treated by Apple, he should just develop his own phone, right?

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Spotify should lobby the EU to pass a law to requiring Apple to have shorter review times.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
This only furthers the EU’s point that Apple has too much market power if the only viable alternative is to develop an entire smartphone platform. And how far would you like to take that argument? If a one man dev team doesn’t like the way he’s being treated by Apple, he should just develop his own phone, right?
What are you talking about? Spotify is the largest streaming platform and has thrived under Apple's ecosystem. And most one person dev teams seem to be very happy using the App Store to sell their Apps.

ItsASpider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2021
Baloney. Spotify and Epic want access to over a billion iPhone users without paying a red cent to Apple for that access. Both are acting like the dicks that run them.
Yeah, imagine wanting access to the market you operate in. Just because Apple makes the platform doesn't give them the right to pick and choose who gets to be in that market. And for the record; Spotify and Epic - just like every other developer - pay Apple to be in the App Store.

What are you talking about? Spotify is the largest streaming platform and has thrived under Apple's ecosystem. And most one person dev teams seem to be very happy using the App Store to sell their Apps.
They have "thrived" by working around Apple's BS as much as they could so they didn't have to give 30% of their income to a company that has 0 cost the the service Spotify provides. They have thrived in spite of Apple's requirements, not because of them (not to mention the fact that, you know, this isn't their only platform to be on). Most one person dev teams are "happy using the App Store" because that's the only way they can. That's like having a gun pointed at your head and having to be greatfull to the gunman because you're alive

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I wonder how many approvals like this are currently in progress with the EU App Store after March 7th, not like Spotify gets to be a me first? Has to be hundreds if not more.
This. And on top, imagine Apple approves "quickly" and then finds out app violates something and rejects it ... these are new rules and I think Apple is doing due diligence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.