Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
A week to port a number? They say 24 hours, it's usually only minutes.

Really? It's been about 5 years since I have done it, last time they gave me a different number and it took close to a week before it was ported. Good to know if it's really that fast now.

Edit: NVM, it's been over 7 years (time flys).....but I am thinking of porting my number to google voice this fall when my contract is done.

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Really? It's been about 5 years since I have done it, last time they gave me a different number and it took close to a week before it was ported. Good to know if it's really that fast now.

Edit: NVM, it's been over 7 years (time flys).....but I am thinking of porting my number to google voice this fall when my contract is done.

Oh yeah. Took about an hour to have my number fully functional when porting over from AT&T to T-Mobile.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Oh yeah. Took about an hour to have my number fully functional when porting over from AT&T to T-Mobile.

I called AT&T about a year ago, 6 months into my new contract about porting my number to google voice, but I didn't want to end my contract and just want to be re-issued a new number. They said I would have to pay the ETF and start up a new contract, that they couldn't just re-activate me where I left off. So I am waiting for October....Hope it goes smooth.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
OP I had sprint for almost 15 years, the blest plans that NOBODY on here had, craziest discounts, even worked for them for two years in the retention cancelation department, I am happy to say I have been with ATT for over 2 years now and NEVER looked back. Sure the service cost a tad bit more of you are one line person but for me having 5 lines at the time and now 8 lines on the mobile share I could NEVER go to any other carrier the data speeds are phenomenal and everything just works.

The ability to have the GSM network thus call waiting and merging is amazing. I just had a 6 way conversation this afternoon on business and I could never do that on sprint.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
PRL = Preferred Roaming List.

It's not a list of towers - it's much simpler than that, it's a list of preferred SID and NID values. (S=system, N=network).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…i was wondering is there a jailbreak source out there that allows unlocking since its illegal now…
It's not illegal if the carrier gives you permission to do it or unlocks it for you.

It IS illegal if you do it without the permission of your carrier.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Though this sounds like a fantastic way to get out of a contract without paying the ETF, I hope people don't abuse this. Sounds like a fast-track way to convince the carriers to get rid of free domestic roaming.

TheShadowXX

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this. They are giving me to the 6/9/2013, I think this is complete BS i would like to keep my contract:mad:I was wondering if you guys know of anyway they can stop from canceling your contract. Have you came across this type of situation before? Have you stopped sprint from canceling your contract? And if so, how? Thank you:)

lmao hahahah

why on EARTH would u WANT a CONTRACT?

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Is there anything other then sprint with unlimited data etc and has 4g lte so if I were to decide to get the next iPhone, I could take advantage of lte etc?

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
I don't understand all you people happy because leaving Sprint without ETF is a good thing. If the problem is the company, why make a contract with them at first place?
I also don't understand all this drama people here in US make about carriers. If you don't like it, don't do it! But the problem is that people here are so used to get their "free" iPhones and don't care about reading the small lines from their contract.
That's why I buy my iPhones from Apple, without any contract, unblocked and I change carriers as much as I want, whenever I want. I just went for a holiday trip to Europe for almost 20 days. I bought pre-paid sim cards in every country I was, just to keep me online and available for important people.

Oh, you don't wanna spend that much on an iPhone and want it "free" from your carrier? So don't complain about it. Simple as that.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
If the problem is the company, why make a contract with them at first place?

You don't know how bad the service is until you try them. Then you go in a mall or shopping center and they try to convince you to join them (I try not to look them in the eye, no matter how much they try to get my attention).

They tell you how cheap their service is, might even show you a few charts on how good their coverage is. Then over the next few weeks you might notice that several common places you go to you're often left with no service, but it's too late to cancel your contract.

Does sprint still charge an extra $5 to take a payment in a sprint store rather than mailing it in? How about if you pay over the phone. That was an issue about 7 years ago when my ex had sprint. Talking to their customer service is awful too.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

I would be hesitant to port anything to GV, since Google is rolling out hangouts and that is supposed to replace GV in the future.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I would be hesitant to port anything to GV, since Google is rolling out hangouts and that is supposed to replace GV in the future.

I didn't know that was supposed to replace GV, that sucks. I hope they have a solution for those who already ported or only give out their GV number to people to keep their number.

No. hangouts is not replacing google voice. It is merging google talk and google plus messaging/hangouts. Absolutely nothing to do with google voice at all.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its almost impossible to get out of a mobile contract in the UK and I've never heard of anyone having their contract cancelled on them. If just going over your data allowance is grounds for cancellation you'd have loads of people here doing that just so they could get a new phone. Interesting to read though :)

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
You don't know how bad the service is until you try them. Then you go in a mall or shopping center and they try to convince you to join them (I try not to look them in the eye, no matter how much they try to get my attention).

They tell you how cheap their service is, might even show you a few charts on how good their coverage is. Then over the next few weeks you might notice that several common places you go to you're often left with no service, but it's too late to cancel your contract.

Does sprint still charge an extra $5 to take a payment in a sprint store rather than mailing it in? How about if you pay over the phone. That was an issue about 7 years ago when my ex had sprint. Talking to their customer service is awful too.

If you are smart, you RESEARCH BEFORE signing up with any carrier... The internet has a BOAT LOAD of info on EVERY CARRIER... just listening to a salesman doesn't work anymore as they will say whatever to get a sale.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
If you are smart, you RESEARCH BEFORE signing up with any carrier... The internet has a BOAT LOAD of info on EVERY CARRIER... just listening to a salesman doesn't work anymore as they will say whatever to get a sale.

I do research, not everyone has the know how. Many older folks don't know how to use the internet. I know several people in their 20's that don't know how to do much more on the internet besides twitter or FB.

Asking friends or family can be bad as well. You'll almost always get mixed reviews. They may or may not go to the same places you go.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
A lot of good unlimited data will do you when you can't manage to get 1GB/mo on their horribly slow network. With AT&T you get 3GB that you can actually use.

You violated the terms of the contract, they're letting you off for free, now get a phone with Verizon if that's who you want service with.

Verizon is also the only carrier that doesn't really care about roaming, probably because their network is so big that they always have more roamers coming in than going out. AT&T allows unlimited roaming in some very limited circumstances, but usually they keep a tight lid on it too- although with the poor quality of EDGE roaming, it's basically impossible to go over data wise anyways, and you can roam a lot on voice and text without an issue.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Consider yourself lucky OP to be let out of Sprints horrible service with no ETF

My recommendation now would be to get Tmobile if you still want unlimited data. You cannot use your Sprint phone so you will have to sell it.

Since you only have 3 more days my advice would be to sell it on Craigslist. You should be about to get at least $400-450. If you can't sell it in time then accept the Tmobile trade in and buy the Tmobile iPhone 5.

As far as porting your number it usually only takes a few hours but can sometimes take up to 24hrs. We port over many numbers from Sprint.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
OP must have a killer discount to stay on Sprint.... there is really no other explanation for this

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Why does OP want to stop Sprint from canceling their contract? Its a sign from god to jump ship :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.