Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Porting his number NOW might actually cause his Sprint line to roll into an early termination state. I only skimmed the thread, so if this was mentioned, please forgive me, but I would contact Sprint and ask them about this. based on what the OP said, his contractual obligations still exist until 6/9/13.

It's not been mentioned here, but this type of thing is a common occurrence and discussed often on other carrier-focused forums. While it's always a good idea to call and verify this first, usually once they've mailed out the letter or otherwise sent the notification to you, you're pretty much free to port out without an ETF and are released from contract. The date given is a drop-dead, we're-shutting-you-off date, and past that point you do risk losing the number and being unable to port it.

The same thing also happens on occasion on AT&T, though it hasn't been as often lately. AT&T is slightly different though: you're given the option of being released from contract, or continuing on but having your ability to roam restricted. Why anyone would choose the second option is anyone's guess, but it is there.

As far as messing with carrier settings, this is part of any telco's contract, but not in the way I feel people are saying. I can perfectly legitimately spend time in an area where all I am doing is roaming.

Absolutely true. Hacking the carrier bundle isn't the only way to roam excessively. That said, I'm not sure if Sprint still has a banner notification to inform people when they're roaming... I'm guessing not, at least on the iPhone, but I could be wrong on this.

If not, then don't they sort of bear some responsibility for not informing users that they're roaming? Not everyone checks a coverage map every time they drive into the sticks.

I'm also wondering about the MSL code they gave the OP. Technically, giving the Master Subsidy Lock to a user should enable them to "unlock" the CDMA side of the device, if not the US GSM portion as well. BUT, I've never seen a procedure for entering an MSL into an iPhone to make the unlock possible.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Sprint

Yes when roaming on Sprint it says "Extended" so there is notification of roaming. In fact I roamed yesterday on Verizon when I was in my basement because SPCS doesnt penetrate buildings well, so it went onto Verizons network and said "extended"

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Well on Monday or Tuesday i will get my T-mobile nano sim card and i will let you know if i can unlock it, i heard that when you enter the sim card it will ask you to enter the msl code so i will see if that happens and i will keep you guys posted:apple::apple:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No need. There is nothing you can do to use the Sprint iPhone 5 on Tmobile except for one of those sim interposer devices.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Well on Monday or Tuesday i will get my T-mobile nano sim card and i will let you know if i can unlock it, i heard that when you enter the sim card it will ask you to enter the msl code so i will see if that happens and i will keep you guys posted:apple::apple:

You have to jailbreak to unlock (I think).

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
You have to jailbreak to unlock (I think).

My iphone is jailbroken dont know if there is a tweak out there or something that unlocks the phone knowing it is illegal now.But if that's the case i will sell it or trade it in which sucks cause i have the 64gb:confused:o well..

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My iphone is jailbroken dont know if there is a tweak out there or something that unlocks the phone knowing it is illegal now.But if that's the case i will sell it or trade it in which sucks cause i have the 64gb:confused:o well..

In guessing you got the phone on contract at $400. You should easily be able to sell for that. If they are unlocking it for you, it can be used overseas too, making it more desirable on places like eBay.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Like I told you in the other thread that tmobile lady gave you wrong info.
You cant use a Sprint iphone 5 on Tmobile or any other US carrier.
They only unlock it for international GSM use.
Best bet is to sell it and get one for Tmobile.

He might have trouble doing that if Sprint is not going to unlock the GSM portion of his phone. Sprint might give the new owner a problem connecting to their network since the contract is being cancelled. You might just have better luck working this out with Sprint before you find yourself having a paperweight.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Well like I said I will post a update and what the situation is, so one of the t-mobile reps said they will send me a SIM card and I never got one!! These guys are ridiculous over the phone so I went to a t-mobile store and told them my situation. They said o your phone will work I'm like o ok I expected 3G service or something but nothing ever happened so I have to buy a iPhone out of the box -_- So I will sell my iPhone and get a t-mobile iPhone which I think is better anyway and by the way they charged me 20 for a SIM card and I had no idea that if you go to a "corporate" t-mobile store they will give a SIM card for FREE. So as of right now my number did transfer properly I am officially on t-mobile I JUST HAVE NO PHONE. I don't want to temporally suspend my account cause I don't want to risk of losing my number, and I also can't make a down payment for some reason nobody will let me everybody is telling me I need to buy a iPhone out of the box. I think it's just complete bs. So I don't know what to do besides buy a new iPhone, wish phone company's would make things easier. It seems confusing but please ask questions I will give you more details thanks for your help people.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Well like I said I will post a update and what the situation is, so one of the t-mobile reps said they will send me a SIM card and I never got one!! These guys are ridiculous over the phone so I went to a t-mobile store and told them my situation. They said o your phone will work I'm like o ok I expected 3G service or something but nothing ever happened so I have to buy a iPhone out of the box -_- So I will sell my iPhone and get a t-mobile iPhone which I think is better anyway and by the way they charged me 20 for a SIM card and I had no idea that if you go to a "corporate" t-mobile store they will give a SIM card for FREE. So as of right now my number did transfer properly I am officially on t-mobile I JUST HAVE NO PHONE. I don't want to temporally suspend my account cause I don't want to risk of losing my number, and I also can't make a down payment for some reason nobody will let me everybody is telling me I need to buy a iPhone out of the box. I think it's just complete bs. So I don't know what to do besides buy a new iPhone, wish phone company's would make things easier. It seems confusing but please ask questions I will give you more details thanks for your help people.

If you are trying to get the $149 deal and $20 a month for 24 months you have to pass a credit check. This is a no-interest loan, not a contract. If you don't pass the credit check you must pay full price or buy one on Swappa/ebay. If you go that route just make sure it's one of the genuine T-Mobile models not an unlocked AT&T re-farm only models.

Cheers,

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
If you are trying to get the $149 deal and $20 a month for 24 months you have to pass a credit check. This is a no-interest loan, not a contract. If you don't pass the credit check you must pay full price or buy one on Swappa/ebay. If you go that route just make sure it's one of the genuine T-Mobile models not an unlocked AT&T re-farm only models.

Cheers,

Saw this on T-Mobile news. T-Mobile is offering the iPhone 5, for $0 down + $20/month payments for father's day weekend if you trade in your 4 or 4S.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/06/t-mobile-fathers-day-sale-offers-iphone-5-for-0-down/

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
That's not an offer. That's a rip off. Isn't it normally $149 down on an iPhone 5 at T-Mobile. That's like giving you $149 for an iPhone 4/4s. You can do better on Craigslist or eBay.

Definitely a rip off but for someone who doesn't know better they are going to do it.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
No. hangouts is not replacing google voice. It is merging google talk and google plus messaging/hangouts. Absolutely nothing to do with google voice at all.

You're wrong. If you are running android and you have voice. And then download Hangouts. It replaces it

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's not an offer. That's a rip off. Isn't it normally $149 down on an iPhone 5 at T-Mobile. That's like giving you $149 for an iPhone 4/4s. You can do better on Craigslist or eBay.

Definitely a rip off but for someone who doesn't know better they are going to do it.

Eh, guess it depends where you are located. Boston area has people selling iPhone 4 (not 4S) for about $200. Considering all you need to do is walk into TMO and hand them your phone, that's a fair deal, I think.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Okay. Just my nexus then. I must have a special edition.

Not to derail the thread, but Hangouts replaces Google Talk (the IM app), not Google Voice.
They will eventually roll GV functionality in to Hangouts, but my Razr Maxx HD has Hangouts and Google Voice installed; Google TALK has been removed/replaced.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
It's been two months of over 1GB of roaming data and still no letter from Sprint to cancel. How long did it take them to send you guys the letter after your billing cycle ended? I am so waiting to get this letter to drop them.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
It's been two months of over 1GB of roaming data and still no letter from Sprint to cancel. How long did it take them to send you guys the letter after your billing cycle ended? I am so waiting to get this letter to drop them.

I might have to jump on this, anyone know how tmobile is in SOUTH FLORIDA reception wise?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I might have to jump on this, anyone know how tmobile is in SOUTH FLORIDA reception wise?

I have a Nexus 4 and recently spent two weeks in the Palm Beach area and Miami. Speeds and coverage were great.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
the problem now is he'll have to sell an Sprint's iphone 5 ...eeyuck good luck with that one...

He will be able to sell it no problems. He just has to price it reasonably. Obviously can;t expect to get what other 5's are selling for, but he should be able to at least get the $200 he presumably paid for it back and then some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.