Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Right, so when you sign up for service with carrier A, but somehow finagle it so that your phone spends the majority of time roaming on carrier B's network, you end up costing carrier A extra money (to cover your roaming costs).

From reading HowardForums over the years, carriers seem pretty firm about this. Your usage is costing them significantly more than other users that just occasionally roam, so they're dropping you.

By loading Verizon's PRL (preferred roaming list <of towers>) onto your Sprint phone, it kind of sounds like you went out of your way to help create the situation that you're in. :eek:

We you trying to engineer a situation where you pay Sprint's lower rates (and get unlimited data), but trick your phone to stay connected to Verizon's (subjectively "better") network? Best of both worlds?!

Anyhow, sounds like you should probably just sell your Sprint iPhone and sign up for proper Verizon service.

Very well said.

Better port your number now.

Agreed. Best to just do it now and be done with Sprint.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The only problem is you are stuck with that lousy Sprint iPhone. Trade it in while it still has value and port your number asap! Count your blessings that you escaped with little damage.... :)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this. They are giving me to the 6/9/2013, I think this is complete BS i would like to keep my contract:mad:I was wondering if you guys know of anyway they can stop from canceling your contract. Have you came across this type of situation before? Have you stopped sprint from canceling your contract? And if so, how? Thank you:)

Why is this a problem? I just paid $400 to port 2 lines off of Sprint. The only issue is some people have stated they were charged ETF if you port out before they actually terminate you for cause. I would have gladly changed numbers to save the money. Either way you are much better off getting off their network. The service has gotten steadily worse since they started trying to upgrade to LTE.

Cheers,

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Right, so when you sign up for service with carrier A, but somehow finagle it so that your phone spends the majority of time roaming on carrier B's network, you end up costing carrier A extra money (to cover your roaming costs).

From reading HowardForums over the years, carriers seem pretty firm about this. Your usage is costing them significantly more than other users that just occasionally roam, so they're dropping you.

By loading Verizon's PRL (preferred roaming list <of towers>) onto your Sprint phone, it kind of sounds like you went out of your way to help create the situation that you're in. :eek:

We you trying to engineer a situation where you pay Sprint's lower rates (and get unlimited data), but trick your phone to stay connected to Verizon's (subjectively "better") network? Best of both worlds?!

Anyhow, sounds like you should probably just sell your Sprint iPhone and sign up for proper Verizon service.
Thank you for explaining the whole PRL thing. I was confused.

Nope they wont charge me anything they just said cause i violated their terms and conditions and its costing them a lot of money and you guys are right sprint sucks hard! But i just don't want to lose my number that's what i'm worried about but other then that im happy that im gone..so other news i called T-mobile and asked if i can use my sprint iphone, the lady says o yes you can unlock your SPRINT iphone 5 and use it with us I'm like o OK so i called sprint back to confirm the unlocking they said we can give you a msl code but we cant walk you through the steps i was wondering is there a jailbreak source out there that allows unlocking since its illegal now, i don't know that's going to be hard to do so does anybody know? Thanks guys!:apple::apple:
If I understood this long sentence, the company who you effectively were screwing by violating your contract is letting you go and they're willing to give you an unlock code but they won't show you what to do with it? I say google if you can, if not, trade the phone in and get a TMO phone.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Well do to my previous thread on forcing the Verizon prl on the Iphone 5, i guess i went over my data or "roaming data" and i get a letter in the mail saying their going to cancel my contract because of this. They are giving me to the 6/9/2013, I think this is complete BS i would like to keep my contract:mad:I was wondering if you guys know of anyway they can stop from canceling your contract. Have you came across this type of situation before? Have you stopped sprint from canceling your contract? And if so, how? Thank you:)

You should take this as a blessing. I am sure you force roamed for a very valid reason.
I did this and even told them I was going to keep doing this until they let me out with no ETF. Thats how i got all 3 of my lines released with no ETF. I figure if I cost them money to keep me as a customer due to their ****** service, it would make them drop me.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Port your number out now, they always say it takes up to a week but the fastest i've seen is 30mins and longest I've seen is 24hours...recently switched from Simple Mobile to Lyca Mobile for a friend and it took 24hours (give or take an hour or two at most)

I'm sure big carriers are super fast, Ive had my number ported in Canada from Rogers to Virgin mobie in less than 30mins many times.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

You broke the terms of the contract and now you are moaning? Let this be a lesson you probably won't learn.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A couple things...

Porting his number NOW might actually cause his Sprint line to roll into an early termination state. I only skimmed the thread, so if this was mentioned, please forgive me, but I would contact Sprint and ask them about this. based on what the OP said, his contractual obligations still exist until 6/9/13.

As far as messing with carrier settings, this is part of any telco's contract, but not in the way I feel people are saying. I can perfectly legitimately spend time in an area where all I am doing is roaming. I don't have to mess with settings at all. Once they realize all I am doing is roaming the majority of the time, they realize they cannot make money off of me. This is why a lot of the carriers that don't have nationwide service ask where you will be using the phone. Same thing happened to me with TMO when I recently ordered a sim to try the out.

As far as selling the phone, since it cannot be (officially) unlocked to work on a US carrier, I would again make sure with Sprint that this isn't going to blacklist your ESN from the network. I am not saying that it would, but that is definitely something I would check and double check before I sell the phone to some poor soul who unwittingly bought it thinking it would work on their line of service with Sprint only to find out it's a glorified iPod touch / paperweight.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Porting his number NOW might actually cause his Sprint line to roll into an early termination state.

I thought about that too, but from the OP he stated they are giving him until Sunday to .........What? Cancel or they will turn off his line for him? Sounds like they want him gone now and have already ended his contract, but haven't terminated his service out of courtesy. Just in case, maybe he should call them to verify that he can cancel his line today.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Like I told you in the other thread that tmobile lady gave you wrong info.
You cant use a Sprint iphone 5 on Tmobile or any other US carrier.
They only unlock it for international GSM use.

How odd... my co-worker got a Sprint iPhone 5 from a relative, I snipped his regular sized SIM card down to nano size, stuffed it in there and it works great on at&t. Even gets 4G.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
Not that I believe the sprint iPhone on att thing, but could it be possible that it can roam on domestic gsm networks but not be prioritized to use them? I have no idea (obviously) the ins and outs.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Have you came across this type of situation before?

It's common for carriers to cancel contracts when a customer roams a lot for an extended period but doesn't have to pay extra because domestic roaming is included in a plan. One example is when someone moves to a market where that carrier doesn't have coverage.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
That's pretty great that they canceled your plan. Now you can move to a quality carrier. Probably should go Verizon since that's who you've been roaming on all this time. LTE is everywhere. Trust me you'll love it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
i called T-mobile and asked if i can use my sprint iphone, the lady says o yes you can unlock your SPRINT iphone 5 and use it with us I'm like o OK so i called sprint back to confirm the unlocking they said we can give you a msl code but we cant walk you through the steps.

So they're kicking you off their network because you went out of your way to violate your TOS, with no ETF mind you, yet they're willing to allow you to unlock the phone to use on a competitors network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.