Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Stainless steel is more desirably and stronger than aluminum. Doesn’t matter what tensil strength apple Uses. Doesn’t matter what your sappy handbook says. I can link hundreds of research and data between aluminum and steel but that’s useless. You just want to argue something that has proven to be false for no reason other than to justify buying the cheap phone.
I don’t want to argue, but I will challenge people who spread false information. I will take up your offer to prove 7075 aluminium is weak so please provide proof. Saying tensile strength doesn’t matter but then saying ‘it’s stronger’ is just contradicting yourself and I don’t think you even understand what you are saying.

I haven’t bought a ‘cheap phone’ and cost is irrelevant anyway in this discussion. If that’s just a way to try and flame this discussion then you’ve failed.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Stainless steel is more desirably and stronger than aluminum. Doesn’t matter what tensil strength apple Uses. Doesn’t matter what your sappy handbook says. I can link hundreds of research and data between aluminum and steel but that’s useless. You just want to argue something that has proven to be false for no reason other than to justify buying the cheap phone.

You’re missing the point. You said the 12 display models were damaged and the 12 Pro displays weren’t and you blamed it on the aluminum 12.

If you go careless like the displays then yea however if you use a case then no.

Do you use a case? If you do why would you be concerned about the strongest metal when your iPhone is protected in a case?

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
Owning a black iPhone 12. The aluminium is better for me than the stainless steal frame in hands. But seriously, I don’t care because I always have a case. The only reason why I don’t choose the Pro model this year is because there’s no much differences with the regular model for me and the price difference is 250 € in France.

I’m saving money for the next iPhone with 120hz refresh rate I hope !

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I ordered the 12 today. Black aluminium.

There is absolutely no way would i buy the pro. The flat sides are not right for the polish of the steel and make it cheap looking. I am positive Jonathan Ive would not have let this out the design studio.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Owning a black iPhone 12. The aluminium is better for me than the stainless steal frame in hands. But seriously, I don’t care because I always have a case. The only reason why I don’t choose the Pro model this year is because there’s no much differences with the regular model for me and the price difference is 250 € in France.

I’m saving money for the next iPhone with 120hz refresh rate I hope !
To be honest most people put their phones in cases so all this posturing by some about having a shiny phone and trying to take the piss out of those of us who chose the 12 is rather stupid really. I think for some this is more of a status issue rather than a true understanding of why the materials were used on the phones they’ve bought.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
So if you write something here yo your research. Everyone can write "100s of sources" while not posting any evidence.

EAP on YT, and he knows what he is doing, did a drop test and both broke the same time after a high fall. But the SS Pro had pixel problems before that where the normal 12 had no problems at all. And he did mention the heavier the more risk. Yes, SS doesn't bend as easily, but is way heavier and that compensates for the SS frame. ON another phone drop test the normal 12 first. But here the 12 Pro SS sides had bigger dents or cracks than the aluminum. So it gives one impression: Good or bad luck most of the time, but all have similar high drop security. None better than the other.

So I get that SS Pro phones feel more premium because of the way the frame looks and the heavier weight. But some here just post stupid stuff without any evidence. Ridiculous, and even not very high education standard from, thankfully only a few, users here.

Last edited:

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I ordered the 12 today. Black aluminium.

There is absolutely no way would i buy the pro. The flat sides are not right for the polish of the steel and make it cheap looking. I am positive Jonathan Ive would not have let this out the design studio.
Dito. I also feel the 11 Pro line felt so more high end than the 11 and 12 Pro because of SS and the curves. The 12 Pro line from videos, haven't seen one in person, feels a little cheap because of the flat sides and shiny SS, esp in silver and gold. But I haven't seen one in person and that could make a difference.

I also do agree brushed SS would have looked way better with the 12 Pro line. But to each his own.
F.e. I think some of the normal 12 colors do look cheap too on videos. The colored ones. The black one instead looks very sleek because for the first time since iPhone 7 Jet Black there is a real black side. Others were grey, dark grey etc. Maybe the X black was as sleek looking. Only under blueish light the normal black 12 tends to looks a little dark blueish, otherwise black as hell.

Solenoid289

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2020
Japan
I have both the 12 mini and the 12 Pro.
For me, I prefer the aluminum frame, especially the black color.
But it's all about personal preference in the end.

If you planning to buy the 12 series, I highly recommend see it in person if your nearby stores are open.

Attachments

• 12p-12mini.jpg
    12p-12mini.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Traverse

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
You’re missing the point. You said the 12 display models were damaged and the 12 Pro displays weren’t and you blamed it on the aluminum 12.

If you go careless like the displays then yea however if you use a case then no.

Do you use a case? If you do why would you be concerned about the strongest metal when your iPhone is protected in a case?
Im not missing the point. Go to an apple store and see which materials are more damaged. People got here to intentionally damage the products. I noticed that it was the 12's not the pros. thats all I am saying. take it how you want to.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Im not missing the point. Go to an apple store and see which materials are more damaged. People got here to intentionally damage the products. I noticed that it was the 12's not the pros. thats all I am saying. take it how you want to.

Do you use a case? If you do why are you concerned since your iPhone is protected anyway, whether it be aluminum or SS?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You said earlier that it doesn’t matter what an aluminium manufacturer specifies in terms of mechanical properties because you could provide ‘hundreds’ of links that dispute it. You didn’t even attempt to back that up firstly. Now your evidence is an anecdotal account from an Apple store near you where people intentionally damage phones which you feel proves your claim 7075 alloy is cheap and weak.

That is enough internet for me today.

Reactions: shardey

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My issue isn't SS. It's that titanium would be a much better choice as it's lighter and even stronger. Just a question if it would increase the iPhone price or not. (I'm assuming it would.) Also titanium scratches easier than SS, so it actually might not be an ideal choice. I'm not entirely sure.

I will say the weight of my new 12 PM isn't really an issue. I use the device almost primarily with two hands so it doesn't feel heavy for that reason. However if I wanted an iPhone 12 Pro perhaps it would matter more??

I do wish Apple had made the SS brushed and not shiny though. Shiny shows fingerprints and looks worse than the brushed SS band of the iPhone 4.

I do think the SS band is more grippy than the aluminum one, so that's a huge plus if you are going caseless.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
You said earlier that it doesn’t matter what an aluminium manufacturer specifies in terms of mechanical properties because you could provide ‘hundreds’ of links that dispute it. You didn’t even attempt to back that up firstly. Now your evidence is an anecdotal account from an Apple store near you where people intentionally damage phones which you feel proves your claim 7075 alloy is cheap and weak.

That is enough internet for me today.
Good, cause you basically said nothing.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Other than clearly disproving your hilarious claims that all aluminium has the same mechanical properties regardless of grade according to ‘your’ experience of browsing in at iPhones in Apple Stores?

Yeah, that’s enough.
Look guy, everyone has the internet and everyone can do the research. You haven't disproved anything and as long as I can type aluminum vs stainless steal and get my answers, you never will. You bought the cheap phone with less cameras, cheaper materials, and now you're trying to justify it. If I bought the regular twelve it would be to save money, not because its the better phone. You're the type of guy that wins the silver metal, then tries to argue that silver is better than gold in some way.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Look guy, everyone has the internet and everyone can do the research. You haven't disproved anything and as long as I can type aluminum vs stainless steal and get my answers, you never will. You bought the cheap phone with less cameras, cheaper materials, and now you're trying to justify it. If I bought the regular twelve it would be to save money, not because its the better phone. You're the type of guy that wins the silver metal, then tries to argue that silver is better than gold in some way.
I’m not trying to justify my purchase at all mate, don’t be so condescending about completely irrelevant topics. You are the one here with a problem and feel the need to put others down over their purchasing choice. I’m perfectly happy with my phone thank you very much!

Also, I have disproven your claims because I have an understanding of materials and you don’t, by your own admission. You still haven’t provided a source for your claim 7075 is weak and you said you could post ‘hundreds of links’. Come on, let’s have one. Third time of asking and under the forum rules you need to provide a source or retract your claim.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

I had the 12 Pro and now have the 12. I gave the 12 Pro to my wife. I don’t have the 12 because it’s the cheaper phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I had the 12 Pro and now have the 12. I gave the 12 Pro to my wife. I don’t have the 12 because it’s the cheaper phone.
I bought my iPhone 12 because it was good enough for what I needed. I didn’t realise some snobs see it as a cheap phone and feel they need to mock you because of it. I could have bought a 12 Pro for a little bit more but didn’t want it, probably like yourself.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
I’m not trying to justify my purchase at all mate, don’t be so condescending about completely irrelevant topics. You are the one here with a problem and feel the need to put others down over their purchasing choice. I’m perfectly happy with my phone thank you very much!

Also, I have disproven your claims because I have an understanding of materials and you don’t, by your own admission. You still haven’t provided a source for your claim 7075 is weak and you said you could post ‘hundreds of links’. Come on, let’s have one. Third time of asking and under the forum rules you need to provide a source or retract your claim.

Drop mic.

(Your expertise can exit through the left side of building. Thank you.)

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Reactions: Madtiger27

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Would you care to elaborate on what you think you’ve proven with that link please? Just posting a link with the mechanical properties of 7075 alloy and 304 stainless on without making your point is rather empty. Please explain, thanks.
LOL...your post made my laugh so hard that i cried....Hahaha

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
LOL...your post made my laugh so hard that i cried....Hahaha
What because I asked you to explain your link?

You claimed earlier in the thread 7075 aluminium has a tensile strength of 276MPa lol. The link you’ve posted backs up the response I gave to you. I think you’ve tied yourself up in knots and don’t actually understand the data you are providing. I agree it is rather funny ;)

Reactions: Lwii2boo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.