Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
i think that post is directed at people who think these types of decisions are frivolous and/or not thought about, which is demonstrably false. they made the decisions they made for reasons they justified internally.
I got the impression it was aimed at people who see the benefits of both materials rather than implying one is better than the other. There seems to be a suggestion only scientists understand materials used in manufacturing too which is a strange claim. The post does contain some good points though and had it not been full of digs, I would have liked it.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
What a completely ridiculous post. With this logic, you might as well never criticize Apple's decisions because they do so much research and testing, surely they know better than us. The whole point of this thread is to discuss the tradeoffs of stainless steel and aluminum.
The title of the thread is “Stainless steel sucks.” Try again. It should be plainly obvious to anyone who has used an Internet forum that a thread with such a title would be dedicated almost entirely to trolling, insults, and whiny anecdotes about how stainless steel ruined 3 consumers’ lives.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
It should be plainly obvious to anyone who has used an Internet forum that a thread with such a title would be dedicated almost entirely to trolling, insults, and whiny anecdotes about how stainless steel ruined 3 consumers’ lives.

Sounds like you need to get off the internet. Sheesh, I really did not know so many people would be triggered by a thread title cheekishly disapproving a phone design material.

guitargeek84

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Alaska
Personally, I very much enjoy the stainless steel look on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am currently using a Pelican Protector case on it, and while the bare phone is a fingerprint magnet, at least it’s very durable!

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Personally, I thought the stainless looked better on the older models with the round design. I don't care for it on the new flat design. To me it's all about how it looks. The actual structural integrity is meaningless for me on an electronic device that gets carried around in my pocket.

And as far as it being premium, I can buy a stainless steel automatic watch on a stainless steel bracelet for a little over $100. Not exactly what I would call luxury.

Last edited:

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Personally, I thought the stainless looked better on the older models with the round design. I don't care for it on the new flat design. To me it's all about how it looks. The actual structural integrity is meaningless for me on an electronic device that gets carried around in my pocket.

And as far as it being premium, I can buy a stainless steel automatic watch on a stainless steel bracelet for a little over $100. Not exactly what I would call luxury.

You can also buy a £10,000 automatic watch made of stainless steel which is luxury.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You can also buy a £10,000 automatic watch made of stainless steel which is luxury.
Indeed and that is where brand and movement quality come into the equation. The casing material, especially in terms of watches is stainless almost as a standard across all price points. Dive watches are always stainless steel due to it’s excellent corrosion resistance. That’s why you’ll see everything from cheap Invictus watches through to Seiko and Rolex all using the same materials for their casings.

Reactions: MarkX

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Indeed and that is where brand and movement quality come into the equation. The casing material, especially in terms of watches is stainless almost as a standard across all price points. Dive watches are always stainless steel due to it’s excellent corrosion resistance. That’s why you’ll see everything from cheap Invictus watches through to Seiko and Rolex all using the same materials for their casings.

Except Rolex, they use another type of Stainless Steel, 904L to be exact, that’s another conversation entirely though.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Personally, I very much enjoy the stainless steel look on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am currently using a Pelican Protector case on it, and while the bare phone is a fingerprint magnet, at least it’s very durable!

Then you shouldn’t be concerned how much durable SS is over aluminum since it’s in a Pelican case right?

That’s my point. There’s no question that SS is more tough than aluminum against drops etc. But what does it matter if it’s in a Pelican case?

I never had my iPhones without a case.

Last edited:
Reactions: oberlin1

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've been to a few electronic stores and at all of them noticed that the aluminum phones had damage. I know its probably people screwing around but they did manage to damage them and not the stainless ones.

I’ll take a good guess and say that an overwhelming majority here rock their iPhones with a case. And I would say the majority rock their iPhones with a case because it adds protection. Now there are different degrees of a protection. Most people I see have a case on their iPhone that provides all around protection such as sides back. So in this case all the sides and back of the iPhone are protected correct?

First in this scenario what does it matter if your iPhone is SS since the SS isn’t exposed? Unless you want people to know you have 3 camera lenses instead of 2.

Secondly take an iPhone 12 and a iPhone 12 Pro in the same protective case that provides protection to the sides and back...

Do you think the aluminum iPhone 12 will be less durable against dings etc in the same protective case?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Disagree completely. The stainless steel is also significantly more resistant to deforming damage like dents, as clearly shown in 12 vs 12 pro drop tests (as well as all previous stainless iPhone drop tests).

Exactly. I also can’t believe people talk about added weight. It’s really next to nothing. None of these phones are heavy.

Reactions: Never mind

RedWill79

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
This didn’t age well ?? as most have agreed the stainless steel gives the phone a sturdy more protected feel as well a more solid look…. and for those saying “just throw titanium on it” ?? you either have more money you know what to do with or you’d be the first to complain about the price if they were to do that. Seems like most don’t fully understand or appreciate what Apple did by using stainless steel. Acting like titanium is just simple and inexpensive to work with and it’s truly a viable option. Hell, why not use platinum??? ??

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This didn’t age well as most have agreed the stainless steel gives the phone a sturdy more protected feel as well a more solid look…. and for those saying “just throw titanium on it” you either have more money you know what to do with or you’d be the first to complain about the price if they were to do that. Seems like most don’t fully understand or appreciate what Apple did by using stainless steel. Acting like titanium is just simple and inexpensive to work with and it’s truly a viable option. Hell, why not use platinum???

I’m still of the same opinion that stainless is a heavy material on the iPhone and for many of us it’s hidden under a case anyway. Aluminium is lighter and more environmentally friendly in this day and age so I’m happy with that.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Seriously how much more is a stainless steel on a phone going to weigh over a aluminium phone until it becomes to heavy, not enough to be a 'deal breaker' surely? I mean its just a phone whats a few extra grams and how weak are peoples wists these days from holding them, I have Osteoporosis and my 13 Pro hasnt broken my wrist yet. Also its not about having a more premium look for myself as that sounds rediculous for a tool, I buy what suits because its a as I have already said its 'a phone' its not bling and certainly not jewellery. A phone is not a status symbol either and if it is to some people that feels really weird to me I have to say.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Seriously how much more is a stainless steel on a phone going to weigh over a aluminium phone until it becomes to heavy, not enough to be a 'deal breaker' surely? I mean its just a phone whats a few extra grams and how weak are peoples wists these days from holding them, I have Osteoporosis and my 13 Pro hasnt broken my wrist yet. Also its not about having a more premium look for myself as that sounds rediculous for a tool, I buy what suits because its a as I have already said its 'a phone' its not bling and certainly not jewellery. A phone is not a status symbol either and if it is to some people that feels really weird to me I have to say.

The dealer breaker for me is mainly that the stainless steel framed iPhones start at £999 and that instantly puts me off when the aluminium versions are £200 cheaper and have all the features I find important. Stainless steel is wasted on me as the phone is hidden in a case anyway. Whatever the weight difference, it’s not a consideration in the first place.

Reactions: StageMomma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.