Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
And making this worse, Scooter's just closed two of their only three locations in California. The closest one now that I have to me is a 45 minute drive away, and then after that, an 11 hour drive. They are focusing back on the midwest apparently, as the west coast market is now too far dominated by Starbucks and Dutch Brothers, yet Scooters is gaining serious presence from Las Vegas to Chicago.

But ugh.. I now have 30 free drinks that will be harder for me to use, and I feel dirty going back to Starbucks. 😔

BL.

• Haha
Reactions: rhett7660

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I used to keep a lot of stars on both my accounts. Once they notified members about the changes, I had been using them left and right down to 500-600 stars level. Last week I took advantage of the double stars promo, then redeemed a $7 Clover brew plus $7.25 lunch sandwich for the birthday.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I used to keep a lot of stars on both my accounts. Once they notified members about the changes, I had been using them left and right down to 500-600 stars level. Last week I took advantage of the double stars promo, then redeemed a $7 Clover brew plus $7.25 lunch sandwich for the birthday.
There was a time, pre-2016, it took me only about a week to earn a free espresso-based drink. Two Saturdays, me and two kids, 1 star per purchase. A free drink was 12 stars.

It's entirely out of hand now.

Reactions: curdy

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
There was a time, pre-2016, it took me only about a week to earn a free espresso-based drink. Two Saturdays, me and two kids, 1 star per purchase. A free drink was 12 stars.

You must be referring to this program changed in 2016. Since then, a $1 spent = 2 stars. The opt-in based bonus stars offering can be pretty lousy. The better deal used to be 50 stars for bakery items. I also bring my own cup for the 10 cents discount and 25 bonus stars. 95% of the items are sub-par and sugary.

Reactions: eyoungren

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

It was this madness that got me looking for other shops, which lead me to Scooter’s. That and the fact that it reminded me of home (they were founded in my hometown).

Unfortunately they closed two of the only 3 stores in the state, leaving the last one a 45 mile drive away. If they close that one, my next closest is in Vegas, which is a 11 hour drive. 😔

Time to move back to the Midwest for sure! I’m not losing my 30 free drinks! 😁

BL.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You must be referring to this program changed in 2016. Since then, a $1 spent = 2 stars. The opt-in based bonus stars offering can be pretty lousy. The better deal used to be 50 stars for bakery items. I also bring my own cup for the 10 cents discount and 25 bonus stars. 95% of the items are sub-par and sugary.
Yes, I got out at that program change. I have the app on my phone but I only use it to order drinks when I'm out, so I can walk in and get them before I get home.

Stars have no value to me anymore, I don't use them and free birthday drinks aren't valuable anymore either once they decided you could only have it ON your birthday.

The way it works for me now is…I give Starbucks money, and they give me what I want. No hassling with stars. They get full payment and I walk away with exactly what I want. Since it's full payment and no stars are involved, they can't argue with me about this or that or deny me what I want. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJK13K

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It was this madness that got me looking for other shops, which lead me to Scooter’s. That and the fact that it reminded me of home (they were founded in my hometown).

Unfortunately they closed two of the only 3 stores in the state, leaving the last one a 45 mile drive away. If they close that one, my next closest is in Vegas, which is a 11 hour drive. 😔

Time to move back to the Midwest for sure! I’m not losing my 30 free drinks! 😁

BL.
Coincidently, a Scooter's is being built near my house. It's actually within easy walking distance - the first time I've ever lived near a coffee shop that I could walk to.

I had to look them up. Apparently, the Valley (Phoenix Metro Area) has a few. And now one will be close to my house. They will make a killing during baseball Spring Season as they are right across from the Camelback Ranch Stadium where the Dodgers and White Sox play their spring games.

Yeah, that's within walking distance for me too. :)

Reactions: chown33

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Coincidently, a Scooter's is being built near my house. It's actually within easy walking distance - the first time I've ever lived near a coffee shop that I could walk to.

I had to look them up. Apparently, the Valley (Phoenix Metro Area) has a few. And now one will be close to my house. They will make a killing during baseball Spring Season as they are right across from the Camelback Ranch Stadium where the Dodgers and White Sox play their spring games.

Yeah, that's within walking distance for me too. :)

You will love them. They really go out of their way for what they do. Keep in mind that if there is any type of candy bar you like, they can make a drink out of it: hot, iced, or blended. And definitely get their app and sign up. They aren't as data hungry as Starbucks, but you can earn free drinks a hell of a lot faster!

BL.

• Love

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
And making this worse, Scooter's just closed two of their only three locations in California. The closest one now that I have to me is a 45 minute drive away, and then after that, an 11 hour drive. They are focusing back on the midwest apparently, as the west coast market is now too far dominated by Starbucks and Dutch Brothers, yet Scooters is gaining serious presence from Las Vegas to Chicago.

But ugh.. I now have 30 free drinks that will be harder for me to use, and I feel dirty going back to Starbucks. 😔

BL.

Ha... this cracked me up.

All I can say, is we have cut our Starbucks intake way down. Sadly never got to try Scooters. If you are saying they are in Vegas, will have to give them a try next time I am in town!

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Yes, I got out at that program change. I have the app on my phone but I only use it to order drinks when I'm out, so I can walk in and get them before I get home.

Stars have no value to me anymore, I don't use them and free birthday drinks aren't valuable anymore either once they decided you could only have it ON your birthday.

The way it works for me now is…I give Starbucks money, and they give me what I want. No hassling with stars. They get full payment and I walk away with exactly what I want. Since it's full payment and no stars are involved, they can't argue with me about this or that or deny me what I want. ;)
That's an interesting was to look at it. I wish Starbucks brings some of the menu items found in other international stores. I was in Hong Kong last month and the experience at Starbucks (they partnered with a big local restaurant chain) was more favorable, the drinks and food quality were so much better. However it costed even more than in the States.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's an interesting was to look at it. I wish Starbucks brings some of the menu items found in other international stores. I was in Hong Kong last month and the experience at Starbucks (they partnered with a big local restaurant chain) was more favorable, the drinks and food quality were so much better. However it costed even more than in the States.
I have a new saying now, which I seem to be repeating frequently, and that is that Starbucks has become the McDonalds of the coffee service industry.

You can always expect the drinks and food to be consistent and served up to you quickly. But the days of really good coffee at Starbucks are gone. You want decent coffee/food items you can get it there. You want good or really good, you go somewhere else.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
im sad that Dunkin Donuts coffee has tasted different for at least a year or two now, its much more bitter

:/ used to looove their iced coffee

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
im sad that Dunkin Donuts coffee has tasted different for at least a year or two now, its much more bitter

:/ used to looove their iced coffee

I had their nitro cold brew with brown sugar cream... it was freaking delicious. I haven't had their iced coffee in some time though. But the nitro was good! Of course it could have been the brown sugar cream masking it all, but that is besides the point LOL.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I had their nitro cold brew with brown sugar cream... it was freaking delicious. I haven't had their iced coffee in some time though. But the nitro was good! Of course it could have been the brown sugar cream masking it all, but that is besides the point LOL.

yeah good point! I also like their cold brew. Dang craving one now

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
yeah good point! I also like their cold brew. Dang craving one now
I dropped in to a Dunkin' near my wife's school for her last week. She's never ordered espresso-based drinks at Dunkin' so had to search the menu for what she wanted. She was just going to order regular coffee.

Anyway, she says the Signature Latte was delicious, which is pretty good because my wife is hard to impress when it comes to coffee drinks.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I just got a notice in the mail stating that the Chase/Starbucks Credit Card program is ending in July.

The CC was a pretty good deal, extra way of earning stars, and the 8+ free drinks a year would more than pay for the annual fee.

Now, that is ending as well. I think I am totally done with Starbucks.

Anyway, she says the Signature Latte was delicious, which is pretty good because my wife is hard to impress when it comes to coffee drinks.
A few weeks ago, my family went on vacation, and was going to take my stovetop Moka Pot and electric frother for daily homemade coffee that I love, but found out the day of trip that the room that my wife booked did not have a stove.

I remember actually feeling sad about it.

The resort had a Dunkin Donut, and I was reading this thread on the trip and someone mentioned the Signature Latte, I am assuming your post. I saw it on the menu at the resort DD and got one.

It was crazy sweet, and probably a lot of calories, but it was really delicious.

I have since order many of them, the hot version tends to be not as sweet most times.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I just got a notice in the mail stating that the Chase/Starbucks Credit Card program is ending in July.

The CC was a pretty good deal, extra way of earning stars, and the 8+ free drinks a year would more than pay for the annual fee.

Now, that is ending as well. I think I am totally done with Starbucks.

Yeah, first they dropped the store, and then they cut back on rewards, and by that time, I dropped them. I didn't get a coupon for my birthday, so no great loss. It was fun while it lasted.

At the start of the pandemic, they dropped the Skinny Vanilla Latte jugs, and have never brought them back. I used to buy out the stock of the local Target stores when they had it in stock. Like 6 or 7 jugs at a trip. Loved that stuff in the morning. Sadly, gone. Now they have over sugared and over caffeinated swill. All my Starbucks gift cards are empty, including my once treasured Gold Card. And last time I tried to get an Almond Skinny Decaf Vanilla, it wasn't even drinkable. Tasted BLEECH!!!

I read that they were looking for a new CEO to 'save the company'. I laughed... 'She's going down cap'n!!'

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, first they dropped the store, and then they cut back on rewards, and by that time, I dropped them. I didn't get a coupon for my birthday, so no great loss. It was fun while it lasted.

At the start of the pandemic, they dropped the Skinny Vanilla Latte jugs, and have never brought them back. I used to buy out the stock of the local Target stores when they had it in stock. Like 6 or 7 jugs at a trip. Loved that stuff in the morning. Sadly, gone. Now they have over sugared and over caffeinated swill. All my Starbucks gift cards are empty, including my once treasured Gold Card. And last time I tried to get an Almond Skinny Decaf Vanilla, it wasn't even drinkable. Tasted BLEECH!!!

I read that they were looking for a new CEO to 'save the company'. I laughed... 'She's going down cap'n!!'
Within the last year I got hooked on their 6oz cans of Espresso with Cream. At one point they had a recall because cans weren't sealed properly and it took like six months before local stores started to restock them. SMH.

Aside for the once in a while Flat White, I don't go to their stores anymore. My local store is just nutzoid crazy with people too.

Whatever Starbucks was, it's not that now. It's like Sears at the end.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Within the last year I got hooked on their 6oz cans of Espresso with Cream. At one point they had a recall because cans weren't sealed properly and it took like six months before local stores started to restock them. SMH.

Aside for the once in a while Flat White, I don't go to their stores anymore. My local store is just nutzoid crazy with people too.

Whatever Starbucks was, it's not that now. It's like Sears at the end.

But store traffic is what is keeping them afloat, and their high margins. They dumped their Verismo system (and I bought one at closeout pricing, it sits, unopened) and had made so many mistakes, and yet so many that were closed down that I would have thought were doing well. The online store seemed to be doing well, although it did make me dislike going into their overly small stores because they had very little stock. I get the 'small coffee shop' motif they were going for, but for the number of products they had, they needed better support. Typing this, I guess I realize what they were/are doing: Going back to being 'just a coffee shop'. We liked the Verismo system, and buying the jugs of their skinny vanilla latte (they even had an almond version for a few years) coffee, even buying it on vacation too.

Maybe they should just go all coffee shop, and drop all of their grocery options. (There was a different brand that had a 'lo-cal vanilla latte', but it tasted like it went through the wrong plumbing of a rhino, so I was not surprised when it disappeared (I think they used 'monk fruit' in it. YUCK!!)

But, dropping rewards is losing a connection with their customers. I loved finally getting my 'Gold Card'. It was a happy day. (I know, simple life at the time) And loved whipping it out while traveling. I had a collection of special edition cards too. Hmm...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But store traffic is what is keeping them afloat, and their high margins. They dumped their Verismo system (and I bought one at closeout pricing, it sits, unopened) and had made so many mistakes, and yet so many that were closed down that I would have thought were doing well. The online store seemed to be doing well, although it did make me dislike going into their overly small stores because they had very little stock. I get the 'small coffee shop' motif they were going for, but for the number of products they had, they needed better support. Typing this, I guess I realize what they were/are doing: Going back to being 'just a coffee shop'. We liked the Verismo system, and buying the jugs of their skinny vanilla latte (they even had an almond version for a few years) coffee, even buying it on vacation too.

Maybe they should just go all coffee shop, and drop all of their grocery options. (There was a different brand that had a 'lo-cal vanilla latte', but it tasted like it went through the wrong plumbing of a rhino, so I was not surprised when it disappeared (I think they used 'monk fruit' in it. YUCK!!)

But, dropping rewards is losing a connection with their customers. I loved finally getting my 'Gold Card'. It was a happy day. (I know, simple life at the time) And loved whipping it out while traveling. I had a collection of special edition cards too. Hmm...
I've mentioned it in this thread at least once, but I will repeat. Starbucks is now the McDonalds of coffee. You know what you will get. Is it good? Sometimes. Is it bad? Sometimes. But most of the time, it's a middling cup of coffee.

You don't go to McDonalds for a good meal. You go because you're hungry and the food is fast and good enough. Same concept with Starbucks. People go because they want coffee and Starbucks is good enough.

As you said, store traffic is what's keeping them afloat. Right. Quantity is keeping them around. Because most people can't tell the difference between a good cup and a bad cup of coffee and middle of the road is just fine.

It's the inverse now of what it used to be, quantity over quality. And those of us who originally went there for the quality have long since left.

Hence, why I say…McDonalds.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I’m going to use up my rewards and gift cards and only visit Starbucks for my birthday reward. I purchased a Mr. Coffee Iced Coffee maker, and I’ve been making my iced coffee at home. It’s cheaper and just as delicious.

I'm similar as well. I haven't purchased anything major from Starbucks in a LONG LONG while. All I pretty much do as far as Starbucks is concerned is buy the caffe mocha iced espresso from Target or whomever has it available, and mix that with a chocolate protein shake. That and a couple of bananas are my breakfast for the day. After that, I haven't touched our gold card, and probably one except for the birthday reward.

I'd rather drive the 40 miles to my closest Scooter's Coffee and get that.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.