Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I’m going to use up my rewards and gift cards and only visit Starbucks for my birthday reward. I purchased a Mr. Coffee Iced Coffee maker, and I’ve been making my iced coffee at home. It’s cheaper and just as delicious.

Ironic that the wife said the Verismo was better than the Starbucks store coffees. Maybe that's why they ended it. Hysterical...

Reactions: eyoungren

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I just got a notice in the mail stating that the Chase/Starbucks Credit Card program is ending in July.

The CC was a pretty good deal, extra way of earning stars, and the 8+ free drinks a year would more than pay for the annual fee.

Now, that is ending as well. I think I am totally done with Starbucks.

A few weeks ago, my family went on vacation, and was going to take my stovetop Moka Pot and electric frother for daily homemade coffee that I love, but found out the day of trip that the room that my wife booked did not have a stove.

I remember actually feeling sad about it.

The resort had a Dunkin Donut, and I was reading this thread on the trip and someone mentioned the Signature Latte, I am assuming your post. I saw it on the menu at the resort DD and got one.

It was crazy sweet, and probably a lot of calories, but it was really delicious.

I have since order many of them, the hot version tends to be not as sweet most times.
Did they say what's the replacement of the Starbucks Rewards Visa card?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m going to use up my rewards and gift cards and only visit Starbucks for my birthday reward. I purchased a Mr. Coffee Iced Coffee maker, and I’ve been making my iced coffee at home. It’s cheaper and just as delicious.
Starbucks has an iced coffee brew in the refrigerated section in Walmart. Other brands do too, if that's your thing (as you indicated). I know there's other brands there too and I'd be surprised if this stuff wasn't in other grocery stores too.

Just adding to your options…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I bought it and wasn't impressed. *shrug*
Yeah, me either. I'm more interested in their Espresso & Cream product. The problem with that is that it's like $6.50 for four 6oz cans. I have to ration them. :)

But I do pick up the cold brewed coffee they sell. It's okay. Sometimes I just want some coffee but don't want to go through the hassle of brewing anything, so that works.

But yeah, certainly nothing I'm going to move heaven and earth to get.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
To be fair, the rewards program didn’t do much to entice me. When convenient and I wanted one, I bought a Starbucks; when not convenient or I didn’t want one, I didn’t. Now, I have even less reason to go since my drug of choice, the almond croissant, has been discontinued. So maybe once or so per month, could be less.

But I also have at home and use: a Keurig, a Jura Capresso, and two Nespresso machines, so I stay caffeinated.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
years ago it used to be better (I mean when you could be gold tier, I think the program was overall better and it is today), and I don't visit Starbucks as often as I used to.
I still use strabucks pods for my nespresso.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
years ago it used to be better (I mean when you could be gold tier, I think the program was overall better and it is today), and I don't visit Starbucks as often as I used to.
I still use strabucks pods for my nespresso.
Years before the Gold tier there was an actual discount program you could pay for. $X a year got you free in-store WiFi, free refills and discounts on drinks. They gave you a black Starbucks card with a gold cup printed on it.

That's where I came in. The first change was when they folded all of us in to the newly created Rewards program at the Gold tier level and sent us Gold cards with our names on them. It went downhill from there.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Did they say what's the replacement of the Starbucks Rewards Visa card?
The Starbucks Rewards Visa is being replaced with the Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa.

The upside is that there is no annual fee with the new card (the SB Rewards had a $50 annual fee after the first year), and the annual fee that was paid will be prorated back to your account as a refund.

Chase is giving 400 bonus stars once the transition is complete as a "thank you". Since the stars have been devalued, that 400 stars really isn't much though. I guess better than nothing.

The cash back deals is not bad, but I will probably stick to another card for that.

If you sign up for some Door Dash pass with the SB card before the new cards come out, you get some special deal with the new card. I don't do door dash, so that doesn't matter to me.

Oh yeah, any unused stars will expire after 6 months. That is new, not sure if this is any stars or just stars earned with the SB credit card. I thought a few years back, when SB changed the rewards program, devaluing the stars, one of the "perks" was that stars wouldn't expire. I guess that is no longer the case.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
Years before the Gold tier there was an actual discount program you could pay for. $X a year got you free in-store WiFi, free refills and discounts on drinks. They gave you a black Starbucks card with a gold cup printed on it.

That's where I came in. The first change was when they folded all of us in to the newly created Rewards program at the Gold tier level and sent us Gold cards with our names on them. It went downhill from there.
yes indeed. I jumped on it back then and I noticed that it's not worth it anymore.
I still collect mugs and other stuff from Starbucks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It would seem that Dunkin' has made a takeover move in our house. There is a Dunkin' near where my wife works and she's recently become enthusiastic about their food and drinks.

And Dunkin' coffee has made more inroads into the kitchen. I've always liked their mugs, so I guess it's appropriate to have Dunkin' coffee in a Dunkin' mug.

In any case it seems that we are frequenting Dunkin' stores more now and Starbucks stores not at all.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Starbucks has an iced coffee brew in the refrigerated section in Walmart. Other brands do too, if that's your thing (as you indicated). I know there's other brands there too and I'd be surprised if this stuff wasn't in other grocery stores too.

Just adding to your options…

I was drinking that for a while and started using my coffee maker to make iced coffee, but it didn’t cool down as fast as the iced coffee maker, so I stuck to that. It’s also cheaper, as I just used Folgers, maxwell house or Target’s store brand of flavored coffee. I used to have an addiction to Starbucks going 3-4 times a week, but since October 2022, started going once a month and then since December never.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It would seem that Dunkin' has made a takeover move in our house. There is a Dunkin' near where my wife works and she's recently become enthusiastic about their food and drinks.

And Dunkin' coffee has made more inroads into the kitchen. I've always liked their mugs, so I guess it's appropriate to have Dunkin' coffee in a Dunkin' mug.

In any case it seems that we are frequenting Dunkin' stores more now and Starbucks stores not at all.

I have to admit that I love Dunkin’s drinks. With my work schedule, they’re closed or getting ready to close when I get off, and the closest location was near my kids dance and karate studio, so only 3 days it was worth going. I love their iced coffee more than Starbucks iced coffee.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina

Since Starbucks WITHOUT my permission discontinued the always amazing almond croissant, I’ve looked elsewhere for my morning coffee and pastry fix. Krispy Kreme is OK but they rarely have any plain or mostly plain donuts. A local coffee shop is better but usually sells out before I get there. The local groceries have several kinds of pastries and donuts but no coffees and then it becomes two disparate stops. So Dunkin’ it is. And I like their plain donuts with coffee at least the quality equivalent of the home Keurig. But that’s just me.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I used to have an addiction to Starbucks going 3-4 times a week, but since October 2022, started going once a month and then since December never.

if you could only see my order history, lol. I was getting a venti (sometimes trenta) chocolate cream cold brew (and pumpkin cream lol) nearly every single day. I had over 1k points at one time. i started to get stomach aches, lol, so i stopped. but god damn that's a tasty beverage.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
if you could only see my order history, lol. I was getting a venti (sometimes trenta) chocolate cream cold brew (and pumpkin cream lol) nearly every single day. I had over 1k points at one time. i started to get stomach aches, lol, so i stopped. but god damn that's a tasty beverage.

My favorites are the Venti Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino and Trenta Mango Dragonfruit Refresher. I always added lemonade to the refresher. My kids have been asking to go to Starbucks but with our busy schedule, it’s impossible during the week.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

Yes, because the formula specifically requires that and TikTok morons think by ommiting those they will magically get more of the "good stuff". They post videos claiming this, but they are usually fake. This has been ongoing for sometime if you ask for light/no ice. They still make your drinks, but you'll have a cup with less liquid.

It's like ordering Chocolate milk, but asking for no milk expecting 16oz of Chocolate.

Don't worry, I'm sure the employees will form a union against this and you'll eventually just go elsewhere to get your drinks.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I pretty much have trained myself to hit Starbucks just once per week now, for my beloved matcha creme frappuccino. There really is not much reward enticement from Starbucks anymore.

Look at Sheetz - everything (coffee, hoagies, fountain sodas) used to be where once you amounted to buying 10 of a certain item, Sheetz Rewardz gave you one free of that item.

Nowadays, Sheetz moved to a points system, where every $1 spent gives you 5 Sheetz pointz; to get a free fountain soda requires 350 Sheetz pointz nowadays. Being that fountain sodas are $1.59+tax each, one now must spend $70 just to get one free $1.59 fountain soda. Ridiculous.

Rewards system changes always mean the business is cracking down on their customers. Greed. Greed. GREED.

Last edited:

rsmurano

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
I have been a long-time Starbucks customer. I have seen many changes with the rewards program, some good, some bad but the overall changes that happened a few months ago are probably to worse I have seen yet.

They increased the amount of stars needed for the drinks to 150, and the lunch sandwiches to 200. An upside is that they reduced the amount of stars needed for the bakery items to only 50 stars.

Another change that I have noticed over the past few months is the star collecting events, (such as the star-dash, where you make a purchase every day for a few days, or menu challenge, where you purchase particular items over the span of a week), it seems like the amount of stars rewarded for these events has decreased significantly, and the objectives to complete are getting longer.

Has anyone else notice this?

I sometimes wonder if the events are personalized, like unique to the customer, or if they are the same for everyone.

Another upside is that I have been going to Starbucks less and spending less money there. I have about 5K stars saved up, and I have only been using them for the bakery items @ 50 stars each, and I usually just get the bakery items and skip the drinks.
I’m done with Starbucks after my current points system runs out. We have charged over $30k on our Starbucks card and we are getting less and less in return. As soon as June hits with the new program, I’ll be using a different cc and really cut back on going to Starbucks to once every week or so

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Dunkin is ridiculous here. They need a Krispy Kreme less than 50 miles away. If I drew a circle through all the "closest"" KK, there would probably be 500 Dunkins inside

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dunkin is ridiculous here. They need a Krispy Kreme less than 50 miles away. If I drew a circle through all the "closest"" KK, there would probably be 500 Dunkins inside
LOL! Send them our way!

In my immediate area there are three. Two of them only came in during the past year, while the first one has only been here since 2008.

When we (my wife and I) lived in SoCal, Dunkin' was everywhere.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m done with Starbucks after my current points system runs out. We have charged over $30k on our Starbucks card and we are getting less and less in return. As soon as June hits with the new program, I’ll be using a different cc and really cut back on going to Starbucks to once every week or so
Once I use my gift cards, I’m done with Starbucks as well, except for my birthday. I love my Mr. Coffee Iced Coffee maker. I have saved so much since December.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
It's quite upsetting that the Starbucks rewards program doesn't allow to scan and attain points across the pond in the UK. You know, the barista scans the barcode from the app and it accumulates points for redeeming later. It also doesn't allow me to install the UK Starbucks app either. So stuck with the USA app in the UK LOL

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Are you back east by chance? When we were in Boston and drove up to Maine... it felt like there was a DD at ever exit and on every corner! Don't get me wrong we liked it, actually liked it a little much... but holy smokes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.