Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Release date 11.11.22, a year away. But it's Bethesda and it looks good... hard to resist, but we have time to think about it. It's up on Steam now. :)

Mac Version? I've not been able to nail that down.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Release date 11.11.22, a year away. But it's Bethesda and it looks good... hard to resist, but we have time to think about it.
Maybe a few more people will ACTUALLY be able to buy an XBox by then......:p

Reactions: Huntn

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Holy cow....
I am not a gamer in any sense of the word, but wow.
I could seriously get an Xbox for this.

I do have a soft spot for anything 'space like'.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
But it's Bethesda and it looks good...

I have very little faith in Beschesda post Morrowind. They have butchered one of my favourite RPG francises — Fallout — and more generally, I hold them responsible for doing irreparable harm to the entire genre. Level scaling, poor gameplay wrapped around in eye catching cinematics, sterile story, generic interchangeable environments, removal of player agency — they have systematically destroyed and trampled down all that was good about the RPGs. Sure, they are popular and successful, but popular doesn't always mean good. So yeah, maybe Starfield is different, I don't know, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have very little faith in Beschesda post Morrowind. They have butchered one of my favourite RPG francises — Fallout — and more generally, I hold them responsible for doing irreparable harm to the entire genre. Level scaling, poor gameplay wrapped around in eye catching cinematics, sterile story, generic interchangeable environments, removal of player agency — they have systematically destroyed and trampled down all that was good about the RPGs. Sure, they are popular and successful, but popular doesn't always mean good. So yeah, maybe Starfield is different, I don't know, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Answered here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-31200294

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
I can't say that I'm surprised - disappointed, but not surprised.

Disappointing news: Bethesda’s Starfield pushed back to Sept. 6 launch date
It was expected to be honest. Even though last year in June they introduced those games that they would have been released somewhere later in 2022 or early 2023, which I don't think anybody believed. I feel like the game can be pushed to October or November. I have high expectations from this game

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Xbox had some sort of showcase event and this was one of the videos.

I like to be surprised, so I usually avoid these deep dives, so as to keep my game play fresh

Reactions: diamond.g

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Seriously
Starfield's system requirements have landed on Steam, and you're gonna need a 125GB cargo hold

My thinking has been that Starfield will have the depth of Skyrim (tons of lore, and quests) yet the world size (or actually universe size) is orders of magnitude larger.

The meme stays true again

gCJWpLukLbKXeteMjuz4Jva9duUTvgin059TMMULJtG6vAWe9KfbaycaBC9IxQNBUnKDj00BuGIjPA=s800-nd-v1

This is why I primarily play Japanese games because THEY ACTUALLY COMPRESS THEIR FILES.

Western devs...please...compress your files, and let 4K assets be optional. If I could opt out of 4K files my file size would be a lot smaller. I don't need 4K files I don't even have a 4K monitor!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The meme stays true again

gCJWpLukLbKXeteMjuz4Jva9duUTvgin059TMMULJtG6vAWe9KfbaycaBC9IxQNBUnKDj00BuGIjPA=s800-nd-v1

This is why I primarily play Japanese games because THEY ACTUALLY COMPRESS THEIR FILES.

Western devs...please...compress your files, and let 4K assets be optional. If I could opt out of 4K files my file size would be a lot smaller. I don't need 4K files I don't even have a 4K monitor!
nah, 4k textures are the best, I don't want no low rez muddy rock texture

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
nah, 4k textures are the best, I don't want no low rez muddy rock texture

My guy most people are playing at 1080p prioritizing framerate over fidelity. Those 4K textures are useless at that resolution.

On a console it makes sense since a lot of people have 4K TVs. Most people on PC are using 1080p or if they bump the fidelity at max they're using 1440p

So 4K textures should be optional for those who want it. Since I don't have a 4K monitor those textures are useless to me and are just wasting space on my storage.

Reactions: MarkC426

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've never understood why the appropriate textures can't be selected during the installation process - seems it'd save space for a ton of folks, not to mention bandwidth on the server side.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.