Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
We'll see. It's a true current gen game and the Steam Deck is very much portable PS4 territory. The requirements currently list 125GB SSD storage as a requirement so I'm curious if it's even doable on the 64GB Steam Deck or how well it runs off a microSD card. Maybe it will work OK at low since it's aiming for 720p but it might be worth holding off especially if you only want to play Starfield.

I mean The Last of Us Part 1 is a next gen game and that's Deck verified. Same with Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Plus Cyberpunk is Deck verified and that game struggles on even midrange systems.

With the minimum specs for Starfield I don't see how there could be any issues running it on Deck when all of Bethesda's other games, including Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop (both being next gen exclusive games) are Deck verified.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I mean The Last of Us Part 1 is a next gen game and that's Deck verified. Same with Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Plus Cyberpunk is Deck verified and that game struggles on even midrange systems.

With the minimum specs for Starfield I don't see how there could be any issues running it on Deck when all of Bethesda's other games, including Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop (both being next gen exclusive games) are Deck verified.
Cyberpunk came out on Xbox One and PS4, Spider-man Remastered is an enhanced version of a PS4 game and Miles Morales was built on it's bones. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart isn't out yet, and Steam currently lists compatibility as "Unknown". The requirements for it aren't even out and I doubt they will be the same as Miles Morales as some sites are suggesting. That's a game that famously demanded the faster storage of the PS5. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop both have considerably lower minimum requirements especially from the CPU side.

Starfield seems likely to be pretty CPU heavy which is why the XSX version is capped at 30FPS. The Steam Deck CPU is not the best so I think it's worth being a bit cautious.

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
Steam deck in my eyes should be used for older games. The modern AAA game does not perform that amazing to be honest.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Steam deck in my eyes should be used for older games. The modern AAA game does not perform that amazing to be honest.

Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and Street Fighter 6 are all Deck Verified and they released this year.

I'm pretty sure the Deck can handle Starfield, especially since the game is being sponsored by AMD, and the Steam Deck is powered by a custom AMD APU

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and Street Fighter 6 are all Deck Verified and they released this year.

I'm pretty sure the Deck can handle Starfield, especially since the game is being sponsored by AMD, and the Steam Deck is powered by a custom AMD APU
All those games run at 60fps on the Xbox Series X. Starfield is apparently not even holding a steady 30fps on the console.

I hold out little hope for Wine, Game Porting Toolkit or the Steam Deck on this one.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
All those games run at 60fps on the Xbox Series X. Starfield is apparently not even holding a steady 30fps on the console.

I hold out little hope for Wine, Game Porting Toolkit or the Steam Deck on this one.
Yeah Starfield PC CPU performance will be interesting to see.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chill Worthy​

Sept Sept Sept :D

5767DB78-357F-4403-9CAB-6D350C9B3054.jpeg

Wow, just WOW!

102595E8-5089-4B5F-9DAD-D70419D32A60.jpeg

D06B2FA4-39A8-4204-ABE8-FCBD35836BFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Isengardtom

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
Still deciding whether to pick up a X1X for starfield. For one game it seems fairly irrational.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Still deciding whether to pick up a X1X for starfield. For one game it seems fairly irrational.
I don't think it is irrational, it should be a system seller. It would be the cheapest way to natively play the game if you don't already have a PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
An Xbox X is a lot cheaper then a gaming PC and/or getting a high end GPU. With that said, if that's the only game you'll be playing on the console, then basically the game is going to cost you 570 dollars (game + xbox x).

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
I don't think it is irrational, it should be a system seller. It would be the cheapest way to natively play the game if you don't already have a PC.

An Xbox X is a lot cheaper then a gaming PC and/or getting a high end GPU. With that said, if that's the only game you'll be playing on the console, then basically the game is going to cost you 570 dollars (game + xbox x).
I have pre-ordered a Framework 16, I needed a new laptop anyway. Job done.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is part of me saying “preorder, preorder”! But another part is saying “no wait, for the launch and see how it goes”. I have plenty of games in the queue that can tide me over. My guess is that it will be a year before a sale appears for it, however before then, they could knock off $20 and still get $50 for it. It could have 10 years of DLCs. 🤔

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
There is part of me saying “preorder, preorder”! But another part is saying “no wait, for the launch and see how it goes”. I have plenty of games in the queue that can tide me over. My guess is that it will be a year before a sale appears for it, however before then, they could knock off $20 and still get $50 for it. It could have 10 years of DLCs. 🤔
Game Pass? Even if you hate it/it's a mess you can probably find one or two things to enjoy in a month to make the $11 worth it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Good man. Stop preordering video games. I don't understand why y'all keep doing it when you know AAA's track record for years, especially since it's a Bethesda game

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
This is the game that Bethesda cannot afford to screw up.

If it’s at least as half as good as advertised, I think I’ll be satisfied.

Oh Bethesda can afford to screw it up.

Microsoft on the other hand cannot since this game is going to be the Xbox Series X/S's flagship title, the killer app to get people to buy Xboxes. If they screw it up, they hand the generation over to Sony again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft on the other hand cannot
Agreed, The pressure is on MS and not Bethesda. Microsoft and its game subsidiaries have failed to produce any major hits for the Xbox X|S
If they screw it up, they hand the generation over to Sony again.
I'd say that PS5 vs. Xbox X|S battle is over and Sony won (again). Microsoft is winning on the subscription side of things, but for consoles Sony is again the clear winner.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is part of me saying “preorder, preorder”! But another part is saying “no wait, for the launch and see how it goes”
I preordered, Fallout 76 and got burned, and not learning my lesson, I preordered Cyberpunk - burned again. Now with Fallout 76, I give Bethesda a lot of credit with sticking with the game and making an excellent game but it took years.

Given Bethesda's track record, I do not see any value in preordering Starfield. I'm sure its going to be a hit, but I'm in no rush. I can sit back and wait to see how things pan out

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'd say that PS5 vs. Xbox X|S battle is over and Sony won (again). Microsoft is winning on the subscription side of things, but for consoles Sony is again the clear winner.

Too early to say that when Xbox's games are starting to come in. Remember Xbox 360 vs PS3? Microsoft had a dominant lead for years until 2013 when PS3 finally overtook them, and it took years of revisions and pushing out great exclusive games to get to that point, when Xbox had the same but halfway just stopped and just pushed out the standard Halo Gears and Forza that they're constantly meme'd on

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too early to say that when Xbox's games are starting to come in.
Consoles seem to have a 6 or 7 year life cycle, and for the first 3 years Sony has been winning the war to the point that there has been no major tent pole game for the Xbox X. With only a handful of years left on this generation its clear that sony has already won

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Good man. Stop preordering video games. I don't understand why y'all keep doing it when you know AAA's track record for years, especially since it's a Bethesda game

The major draw of preordering was when physical media was involved, now that it’s all downloads, that pressure really no longer exists. 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I preordered, Fallout 76 and got burned, and not learning my lesson, I preordered Cyberpunk - burned again. Now with Fallout 76, I give Bethesda a lot of credit with sticking with the game and making an excellent game but it took years.

Given Bethesda's track record, I do not see any value in preordering Starfield. I'm sure its going to be a hit, but I'm in no rush. I can sit back and wait to see how things pan out
I did not pre-order Cyberpunk 2077, but purchased it soon after release and was not burned, pre-ordering it would have made no difference in my experience. I just had no issues with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.