Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any special place to do this?
When you join the UC Vanguard, you go through flight simulator training - you then can return to that as many times as you want. I did that to rank up my piloting skills to the max level only to realize I'm really happy with class A ships BUT once you get access to class B and C, you can use those components to upgrade your ship, such has a more powerful reactor

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When you join the UC Vanguard, you go through flight simulator training - you then can return to that as many times as you want. I did that to rank up my piloting skills to the max level only to realize I'm really happy with class A ships BUT once you get access to class B and C, you can use those components to upgrade your ship, such has a more powerful reactor
I just read about the flight simulator and will include it in the guide, what an amazing idea!

I learned a lesson last night. In Cyberpunk and I think in Skyrim, if I remember correctly, you want to level your sword skills, just use your sword. Level,your sneak skills by sneaking.

Well, I’ve spent 40 hours in game doing that, thinking I was leveling my skills, nope, and I was also ignoring assigning skills. So all the sneaking I was doing, did nothing for my sneak skills. I’n not happy with this, but I think I have to execute stealth kills to up my sneak skill. So what is a stealth kill? I assume if I sneak up on someone and kill them that qualifies, and maybe if I shoot someone with a silenced gun from stealth that qualifies.

Fortunately I’ve been just messing around doing minor combat quests, I’ve got Sara in tow for the MainQuest after The Lodge, and every time I turn around, she says “ are we going to Neptune now?”. Anyway Imfinally got around to assigning myself the sneak skill, and lordy, there’s now a sneak meter, but I have to, not just sneak, but kill people from stealth to raise this skill.

And I picked up the “Duel” melee skill, oh my, how the combat dynamics change when you hold any melee weapon, damage to you is somewhat mitigated so as you are being shot by an assault rifle, you can hack someone to death. I need to think about this, if it breaks my suspension of disbelief… There is something about wearing a space suit that and using a sword that seems unrealistic. 😳

And I picked up a shotgun cert. I just need more than a double barrel shotgun. Found one last night with 7rounds. And I’m pissed, that I have been shooting so many bullets with my assault rifle and have yet to raise this skill, because you need 3 points in the combat skill before you can get a rifle cert.

You don’t need the pilot skill to fly, but you certainly need it raise this skill, the game taunted me with a big huge ship and was sitting there waiting to be stolen, and… I lacked the piloting skills. 😩

What I know now, I’m actually thinking about starting over. I’ve wasted a lot of time, yet I have more time and if I do start over, I’ll blow off melee skills, it dies not feel realistic to me. I’ll immediately go to the Mast building, join that faction and get my pilot skills up. After all, there is not the typical urgency you are often presented in a main quest. Finding artifacts? No rush, I can wait on that, cause there is so much else to do. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I’ve spent 40 hours in game doing that, thinking I was leveling my skills, nope, and I was also ignoring assigning skills. So all the sneaking I was doing, did nothing for my sneak skills.
Yowza, that's some serious grinding, only to find out that it goes into the ether unless you assigned a skill point or there's a need to reach the next level. Don't worry I found the same thing out myself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I looked at my steam stats, I'm at 40 hours, I've done the UC vanguard side quests.
Suggestion: You're instructed to choose one or the other - you can do both and imo the Crimson fleet one is a better questline. I've also done the Freestar collective questline - that was not really enjoyable for me - YMMV

You don’t need the pilot skill to fly, but you certainly need it raise this skill, the game taunted me with a big huge ship and was sitting there waiting to be stolen, and… I lacked the piloting skills. 😩
I run hot and cold on this. I spent my Friday grinding the pilot skills and now I can fly a class c ship but I'm rather happy with the class A ships that I have.

I will say that this game mimics Fallout 4 very much. Choice/consequences matter little to the game. You can select the most evil choices and it really doesn't alter anything, and the lack of a karma system means you're basically free to do anything with little to no long term consequences. The only impact AFAIK, is if you have companions, they will like/dislike some choices but I think that's the extent of it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not for nothing, I've been enjoying some ship designing - not complete builds but upgrading. I have the Star Eagle now and its a nice upgrade to the Mantis. I spent the past few hours this morning playing with the design, its a little wider then I wanted and since it has one of those double wide habitats I deleted that and made the ship narrower.

My next step is to redo things, so that I don't have to use a ladder to access the cockpit and made area of the ship.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yowza, that's some serious grinding, only to find out that it goes into the ether unless you assigned a skill point or there's a need to reach the next level. Don't worry I found the same thing out myself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I looked at my steam stats, I'm at 40 hours, I've done the UC vanguard side quests.
Suggestion: You're instructed to choose one or the other - you can do both and imo the Crimson fleet one is a better questline. I've also done the Freestar collective questline - that was not really enjoyable for me - YMMV

I run hot and cold on this. I spent my Friday grinding the pilot skills and now I can fly a class c ship but I'm rather happy with the class A ships that I have.

I will say that this game mimics Fallout 4 very much. Choice/consequences matter little to the game. You can select the most evil choices and it really doesn't alter anything, and the lack of a karma system means you're basically free to do anything with little to no long term consequences. The only impact AFAIK, is if you have companions, they will like/dislike some choices but I think that's the extent of it.
Answered here: Post in thread 'Starfield Quick and Dirty'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/starfield-quick-and-dirty.2400900/post-32549892

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oddly, I seem to have this love/hate relationship with ship building.
Major tip on ship building - do a save before embarking on the process. Odds are high that you'll be reloading from that save.
Another tip, if you place a landing pad at your outpost, you'll have access to a lot more ship components, where as if land at a planet, it will be limited.

Ok, on to my ship building, I've been tweaking the Star Eagle ship, which visually is a nice ship, I've mentioned how I narrowed it making it sleeker. I've upgraded the weapons, changed out the hatch, so that when I enter the ship, I don't have to immediately climb a ladder, but instead head into the cockpit and/or living space.

I've yet to put any points in the ship building skill, I may eventually do that, but I'm content in tweaking my existing ships and so far I've not felt the need to get/use/build a class B or C ship

In other news, I've been doing the ryujin questline and Bethesda continues to show they've hit this out of the park. As a side/faction quest, its amazing , long and has some nice story points that I don't want to spoil. It starts off really slow, you enter a job application, do an interview and then get someone a coffee. It was such that the coffee run, was sitting in my active quests for a long time, when I finally started it, and boy, am I glad I did.

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oddly, I seem to have this love/hate relationship with ship building.
Major tip on ship building - do a save before embarking on the process. Odds are high that you'll be reloading from that save.
Another tip, if you place a landing pad at your outpost, you'll have access to a lot more ship components, where as if land at a planet, it will be limited.

Ok, on to my ship building, I've been tweaking the Star Eagle ship, which visually is a nice ship, I've mentioned how I narrowed it making it sleeker. I've upgraded the weapons, changed out the hatch, so that when I enter the ship, I don't have to immediately climb a ladder, but instead head into the cockpit and/or living space.

I've yet to put any points in the ship building skill, I may eventually do that, but I'm content in tweaking my existing ships and so far I've not felt the need to get/use/build a class B or C ship

In other news, I've been doing the ryujin questline and Bethesda continues to show they've hit this out of the park. As a side/faction quest, its amazing , long and has some nice story points that I don't want to spoil. It starts off really slow, you enter a job application, do an interview and then get someone a coffee. It was such that the coffee run, was sitting in my active quests for a long time, when I finally started it, and boy, am I glad I did.
I’ve been looking at the Ryujin quest, it’s on my list to do.

Regarding ship building, I’m looking forward to this but am prepared to be disappointed. In 2 previous games, Space Engineers and Imperium Galactic Survival, based on smaller building blocks, set out to build a magnificent mile long ship, but was thwarted by mechanics, being stuck with mostly square building blocks did not cut it. Emperion does a much better job with shaped blocks, but what you ended up with was basically a static display in both of those games.

For Starfield, my impression is that here you're stuck with premade modules, which is not necessarily bad, but would be limiting. Let’s say you want to build a hanger onboard your carrier ship, besides not knowing if I could make use of a hanger ;), could you do that? My guess is there are practical limits in size and performance what can be designed..

Found this:

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you like stealth, then that's the questline for you. i have skill level 3 on my stealth skill and one of the last quest was a ball buster - took me all day yesterday ad this morning to get through an office building avoiding the security guards. I was getting frustrated but I finally did it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
If you like stealth, then that's the questline for you. i have skill level 3 on my stealth skill and one of the last quest was a ball buster - took me all day yesterday ad this morning to get through an office building avoiding the security guards. I was getting frustrated but I finally did it.

The Ryujin Industries questline is my favorite faction quest aside from the obligatory Crimson Fleet faction quests. It's essentially what I wish Corpo route would've been in Cyberpunk. Ryujin feels like Arasaka in design anyhow, all that's missing is it's own private army and supercarrier ship. Plus the art direction of Ryujin is so good. All the trees and red, the Japanese inspired outfits all the secretaries and members of the board wear, it's cyberpunk in a NASA inspired universe.

OIP.HCpkTvqK-iIyhJDVFvAfqwHaEK

images
1695913786839.jpeg

YUK9wCaVLvoVke3mTtmQca-970-80.jpg
Starfield-Ularu_8a3wm6J.jpg

Without spoilers, I will tell you it is highly worth doing the questline, as you get a pretty powerful new ability for doing so. ;)

And even aside the rewards, it's just a damn well written faction quest, all about corporate espionage and conspiracies and infighting within Ryujin. It's why earlier in the thread I said Neon felt more cyberpunk than Cyberpunk 2077, and it was because of this faction questline.

Last edited:
  • Love

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And even aside the rewards, it's just a damn well written faction quest,
Its funny, but the freestar faction quest line was fairly vanilla, and predictable. I more or less guessed what was going to happen right off the bat. Where as the Ryujin questline had depth and great character dialog.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sarah Morgan is annoying me a little. Picking up something that does not belong to me illicits a negative comment. Accidentally shooting a civilian causes her to lose her **** and flee. Ok, that was bad so I rolled that one back. Here we are on this quest to find an artifact. Technically this is a different quest, but it has serious, possibly disastrous ramifications for humanity. She despises the Trade Authority and tells me so, the idea of helping the TA despite being on a mission with larger goals bothers her, and when the topic of hacking into a TA computer is discussed as a means of facilitating finding an important person (regarding my quest) she tells me, but that’s illegal. You’d think that bending the rules a little might be warranted. At this point I‘m missing Cate (Fallout 4). :) And at this point she’s a little too matter of fact and not getting points for herself as a romance candidate. ;)

E0E79F5C-DCDD-4622-8F52-197023487E46.jpeg
Raising my stealth was puzzling. With low stealth it seems difficult to sneak up on someone for a kill. According to this article there is no stealth takedown mechanism. Yes there is stealth mode, yes you can make attacks from stealth, if you can actually get close to someone with a blade you maybe able to kill them quickly, but it’s not the instant kill takedown.

In the early stages you have to find/loot a silenced weapon, (before you can construct one) then just use it from a crouched position directed at unaware targets, but I’m not sure how unaware they have to be. :)

Mild spoilers-
As part of the main quest line, I went to Mars Cydonia looking for a guy named Moara regarding an artifact, and decided to kill 2 birds with one stone (going to Mars) to do a stage of the UC faction quest, to find another guy named Walker who would have some insight on the situation regarding Tau Ceti II.

Looking for Walker, I’ll avoid details how and where, but involving combat, I looted a “silenced” laser weapon and started using it. I’m not sure, but my impression is that if you injure an enemy from stealth, that this levels your stealth skills. At one lull after a fight, my stealth skill had raised 4 points. 🤔

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Its funny, but the freestar faction quest line was fairly vanilla, and predictable. I more or less guessed what was going to happen right off the bat. Where as the Ryujin questline had depth and great character dialog.
Does the Freestar quest line result in a ship?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, and that makes it worth it
Mild story spoilers

One of the aspects of a game like this is pacing. In this story searching for artifacts is important, but holy crap the situation on Tau Ceti is on the urgent side. You might think that this is the most important issue and just pursue it, and in real life, you would prioritize the TC crisis over everything else. And after I finish the Main Quest: Old Neighborhood, I will pursue the United Colonies (UC) quest line because it is urgent. i felt obligated to do Old Neighborhood, not yet completed, because an artifact changed my life and brought me to New Atlantis in the first place. But I’ve also read that doing Old Neighborhood first is important.

Howver from my past experience, I learned that stories hold for you, the player, that I wanted the main quest line to last so I started approaching the game on multiple fronts, advancing multiple quests. And when an NPC tells me they will meet me at the entrance of a dungeon, I usually take my time getting there while I advance other quests close by. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How does that ship compare to the Freestar Stronghold?
Apples and oranges, in that its a fast class a ship with some really decent armament. I found that if you don't want to build a ship from scratch, this is a good ship to improve.

Isn't the Freestar Stronghold is a class C ship?

I prefer small-ish ships and I've not really ran into issues with cargo space at the moment, so class A is suiting me just fine

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In the early stages you have to find/loot a silenced weapon, (before you can construct one) then just use it from a crouched position directed at unaware targets, but I’m not sure how unaware they have to be. :)
I have no idea where I got it, but I somehow found or was with the Hitman suppressed Beowulf rifle. Its a handy early game sniper rifle. I just picked up a Boosted Hard Target. It does 196 damage vs. the Beowulf's 61. The magazine is tiny, and I haven't figured out how to craft, I need to do "research" in order to be able to craft a larger magazine. The current capacity is 5 rounds, but I can generally 1 shot most enemies.

I've been trying to get the MagSniper but the youtube video's showing me how has not worked for me. Maybe later today I'll do some more research and try my luck yet again.

• Love

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I have no idea where I got it, but I somehow found or was with the Hitman suppressed Beowulf rifle. Its a handy early game sniper rifle. I just picked up a Boosted Hard Target. It does 196 damage vs. the Beowulf's 61. The magazine is tiny, and I haven't figured out how to craft, I need to do "research" in order to be able to craft a larger magazine. The current capacity is 5 rounds, but I can generally 1 shot most enemies.

I've been trying to get the MagSniper but the youtube video's showing me how has not worked for me. Maybe later today I'll do some more research and try my luck yet again.

My character's kit makes suppressors a necessity, not for stealth, but because my skills give me massive damage buffs on any gun that have a suppressor on it.

Suppressed shotguns are essentially liquefiers to me with how much damage they do with my kit. They'll have to use dental records to identify the bodies

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I've been grinding for a better sniper rifle, and doing the recommended process of going to a high level planet that hosts an abandoned facility. Took a while but I not only found one, but then cleared the place out except for the high level captain (the one with shields). The trick is to get him close to death, so one shot will bring him down. Quick save right before that, and then kill/review/game reload, until the loot drop is such that you want. All this has to be done on the hardest game playing level as the harder the game play the higher the chance you'll get a legendary drop.

I've not gotten anything worth saving but its been fun trying out what was dropped and then hitting F9 to reload.

I actually got a magsniper dropped but after playing with it, I decided to see if I can get a legendary hard target or magshear. I have non-legendary versions so it would be nice to get one of those.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So my grinding has been somewhat fruitless. I did score a Magsniper as I mentioned and it does insane damage. I'm not sure I like the legendary effect - space. So in space I do extra damage on planetside it does -15% but the damage is in the 700s.

I have that as a separate saved game, I'll give it another 20 minutes this morning, I'm really wanting a legendary Hard Target or Magshear.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How much does building a ship cost? Some good ship links:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
How much does building a ship cost? Some good ship links:

OIP.MDb482SlG938JyImnE15NQAAAA

Good news everyone! Some people try to recreate Planet Express in Starfield!

eb308-16941351979602-1920.jpg

1696003769697.jpeg

Reactions: Huntn and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So it looks like as faction quests go, I've completed them. I'm back on the main quest though I may go do some mission board stuff.

I'm half tempted to start a new playthrough. I made some decisions early on, that I wonder if I restart, I'd have some fun re-trying.

While my stealth/sniper build is awesome, I passed up, and/or sold some really potent pistols. I may try a pistol build. though there does appear to be a NG+ once you finish the main campaign, I may wait on that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.