Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"who have made exemplary contributions to the prosperity"

As defined, I think so. Unless he needed to hit everything item. But if that's the requirement then no one could. It seems the award is not limited to being "the best person" morally or socially.
Agreed. If Ed Meese can get it, the bar, at least then, is clearly pretty low.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Even the poorest in this country now have access to more knowledge and books than the great libraries of the world. You now have all the music possible in the palm of your hands. The iPhone contributed to the Information Age we are living in so yes it has helped humanity far more than you say.
Not to mention a vidcam in every pocket has advanced police accountability and social justice. As seen in Messers Floyd’s and Arbury’s cases.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Woz would have had a long boring career at HP if not for Jobs.

Woz himself would be the first to say as much.
Really.

For all his brilliance, Woz would not have ended up rich or running HP. He needed Steve to help him shine.

That said, Woz deserves one too because without him, Steve wouldn’t have had the same trajectory either.

Reactions: ericwn and makr

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Should be awarded to the engineering founder of Apple Steve Wozniak rather than the salesman Steve Jobs.
LoL, Woz while great, wanted to give all his designs away for free.

I’m sure they would have both made contributions to society, but the magic we know started because the two complimented each other. Absent that, everything Apple we take for granted wouldn’t have existed.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I always wondered about what the purpose is in doing this posthumously. They certainly are past caring about it.
Medals of this kind are not for those who did the act. Usually, the act itself is the reward for them. Medals - or awards - are to highlight the awarded action(s) as a guide for other people that might follow in discerning what is worthy and what is not.

Reactions: Captain Trips

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
As much as I love Apple and the things Steve strived for, not sure how I feel about this one. I feel these types of honors should go to people who have contributed to the good of humanity, it is arguable whether all this tech that we are surrounded by is actually for the good of humanity. Does it make life easier? To a point, but it also can make life, particularly societal values, more difficult.
The presidential medal notwithstanding, you’re absolutely right. I believe you can make a big argument that tech (particularly smartphones and social media) has had a very, very negative impact on our society and lives as a whole.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
so i'm hearing some people don't think Jobs should get this medal but Tom Hanks is okay?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Are you saying my Palm Pilot is not a tablet? he may have kicked off another tablet trend, but not the tablet trend.
Having lived through the Palm Pilot age (and owning a Compaq iPaq myself), there is a big difference between a handheld “palm” device and certainly what was the first iPad. Apple commercialized the tablet in a way that no other company had yet to do (selling millions of units). The original iPhone was more the replacement for the Palm Pilots of the day and the iPad became something that was in between a smart phone and a laptop, which really didn’t exist anywhere else.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
I mean it's an awesome device and changed the world. It has some good aspects, but overall modern tech, especially the 24/7 anywhere on the planet connection to the internet is a bad thing for society.
It’s a blessing and a curse. I was too young when the iPhone first came out but I was aware what the world was like before smartphones.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
The original iPhone was more the replacement for the Palm Pilots of the day

I disagree. the palm treo was actually the replacement for the palm pilots and added phone power long before iPhone.

I wrote on my palm pilot with a stylus, it was a tablet, and the first tablet trend.

Reactions: decypher44

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the United States' highest civilian honor, presented to individuals "who have made exemplary contributions to the prosperity, values, or security of the United States, world peace, or other significant societal, public or private endeavors."
Steve wasn't a perfect person but I certainly think he fits this description. I can't imagine a world where he never started Apple.

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
...some hippy dippy crap?

That was offset in later years by parking his expensive car in handicap spots. Jobs lived the full spectrum: clueless hippy to rich dick. Along the way he drove some talented people to create good things and some crap things.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I disagree. the palm treo was actually the replacement for the palm pilots and added phone power long before iPhone.

I wrote on my palm pilot with a stylus, it was a tablet, and the first tablet trend.
The thing is, the very name Palm Pilot was a palm held device. If you equate that size with a tablet, then every iPhone and smartphone in general are also tablets. That’s not what most people would consider a tablet - the name suggests something bigger than a handheld device, which is exactly what it is.

Yes, I owned a Treo, maybe two of them now that I think about it. The iPaq was finger or stylus input, or keyboard and it was definitely no tablet (even as it had a larger screen than the original Treo).

Reactions: Captain Trips
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.