Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I don't have to explain anything about Apple's success or what Steve Jobs' part in said success or Tim Cooks' part in said success. You can believe what you, twist whatever facts you want, downplay Apple's current success all you want on an anonymous internet forum, but the universe is against you on this one.

And please, do point out where I said "I'm glad". I did say: "it's a good thing" -- as in it's a good thing for Apple, but that does not translate into "I'm glad".
No ,you don’t have to explain anything but why then are you trying so hard? Why isn’t anyone allowed to point out Apple/Tim Cook’s faults or that they believe Apple is sliding in many areas, like QC, product innovation, etc. without you jumping in to defend Tim Cook?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No ,you don’t have to explain anything but why then are you trying so hard? Why isn’t anyone allowed to point out Apple/Tim Cook’s faults or that they believe Apple is sliding in many areas, like QC, product innovation, etc. without you jumping in to defend Tim Cook?
I’m trying only as hard as you. And sure, criticism is a part of success. But what you (or others) believe as a critical opinion is overshadowed by Apples success in many areas.

The bickering about what was initiated under what ceo is laughable though.

And as far as defending Tim Cook, if MR gives one the right to post critical opinions, the same applies to posting opinions to the contrary.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I'm sorry but does he really deserve this? I feel like we've learned from the various books and movies that he was a visionary, sure, but he wasn't actually the best person...
Gosh, I didn’t realize it was actually the Presidential Medal of Niceness.

Simplistic moralizing will be the end of our country if it remains unchecked. Greatness doesn’t always come in shiny, happy, vanilla packages. Mr. Rogers was amazing, but everyone doesn’t have to be him.

Jobs literally transformed personal computers, networking, music, computer animation, smartphones, and tablets for the world. Life on earth would be significantly less fun, productive, advanced, or healthy without his contributions.

The only thing he didn’t deserve was to receive this award so late. He should have gotten it while he was alive. History will eventually forget men like Zuckerberg and Ellison, but Jobs will stand alongside Franklin & Edison as an icon of American ingenuity.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Wow, that’s such a short list of successes for a company spending $25B+/yr on R&D; more than 10x Steve spent.

Let’s face it, Apple Watch was a mess on launch, and it took 3 iterations before Apple finally figured out it was a glorified fitibit. The fact that Google quickly lost interest and there were no real competitors helped. It was also Jony’s baby, not Tim’s.

Airpods are great, and it was executed almost flawlessly, but making everything wireless was part of Apple’s vision for a long time. Tim had nothing to do with that.

iPad was supposed to be the future of computing but it’s flailing. It was the only product category that tanked YoY and product direction is confusing at best.

M1 was part of Steve’s plan, not Tim’s. Why do you think Steve bought PA Semiconductor? It’s also a rebranded A series chip. Talk about flashy gimmicks… change A to an M and all of a sudden it’s some massive innovation?

You neglected to mention the many failures under Tim… HomePod, AirPods Max, Apple TV, trash can Mac Pro, Apple Music (losing its dominance in digital music to a tiny startup, not to mention the embarrassing launch), digital video (ATV+), Apple Maps, Apple News+, 12” MacBook, Airport, touchbar/butterfly keyboard MBPs, lost a big lead in home automation and AI, etc.

I think you confuse Cook with some kind of visionary just because they’re still improving and launching new products. A company the size of Apple takes a life of its own, and the culture and momentum created by the founder can take the company a long way. Inertia is a real thing.

The $20 cloth is much bigger than you realize because it signals that Apple has lost its way.
Blaming the fact that Apple Music lost its dominance to Spotify on Cook is absurd. Apple fell in love with their own innovation of the iTunes Store under Jobs. They failed to pivot years before Apple Music debuted. Jobs himself was famous for saying that you need to disrupt yourself before someone else does, but he was hardly immune to myopia, and Apple failed to evolve into streaming well before Jobs died because he never gave the streaming model the credit it deserved.

You seem to be hell bent on trashing Tim Cook and it’s making your arguments sloppy.

Reactions: I7guy

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Simone Biles? I know that all recipients of the award are not equal in stature, status, or achievement, but they are not even in the same league. Jobs was a giant who materially changed life on earth. Simone Biles, with all due respect, is a skilled athlete. That’s it.

If anything, Jobs should have been given the award by Obama, while he was alive.

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Hopefully they let the President know that Steve Jobs is dead on the notecard they give him.

"Our next awardee: Steve Jobs. He changed the world with trunalimunumaprzure. Oh, he's the best. Not a joke! Not a jpke. Steve, come on up here, will ya, guy? Steve? Come on up, buddy. Steve... What? Oh, God bless ya."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.