Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I'm sorry but does he really deserve this? I feel like we've learned from the various books and movies that he was a visionary, sure, but he wasn't actually the best person...
wtf is a ”best person”.

The young late 70s Jobs was exactly what most people expect young people to be like.

80s-90s Jobs who built Next and Pixar was a top guy.

Most people don’t know this but he sold all his Apple stock in 1985 and only kept one share so he could keep getting newsletters.

Didn’t become a “billionaire” until he returned to Apple and was awarded stock and sold Pixar to Disney.

By the time that happened he got his first cancer scare and then 5 years later the real cancer came.

So the last 10 years of his life is just daily stress and worry that he would die anytime soon. He was in constant paranoia and rushing to see some goals happen before he dies.

The ‘a** hole’ Jobs people imagine in their head is the one in those two biographical movies that were not accurate and didn’t even cast someone half-Arab.

He never went on Twitter like today’s tech CEOs who make fools of themselves and tell lies to their followers every day. These people who try to become billionaires in one week selling you vapor should be in your crosshairs.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Should be awarded to the engineering founder of Apple Steve Wozniak rather than the salesman Steve Jobs.
Woz was/is great and all but he isn't a visionary. Steve Jobs was a true visionary and extremely so. IMHO

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The newton was revolutionary, your PocketPC was evolutionary, an evolution of what the Newton did. Nothing revolutionary about your PocketPC having a phone.

The iPhone's revolution was the multi-touch interface. You know it was revolutionary because no one used it before the iPhone and everyone used it after the iPhone. Even Android did a 180 and went from a Blackberry/MotoQ clone to a iOS style multitouch device after they saw the revolutionary iPhone.

The Newton was a PDA, not a Smartphone. Multi-touch was first invented at Bell labs in the early 1980s. It's evolution goes back to the 1970s. There were multi-tocuh musical keyboards in the late 90s. Evolurtionary, not revolutionary.

Hey, I like iPhones and Macs, I am using them now. But this "Apple invented everything" is a myth.

Reactions: citysnaps

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Considering the last clown gave one to Rush Limbaugh, Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes, giving one to Jobs is fine.

By the ******** standards of accomplishments previously established for the Medal of Freedom, Steve Jobs stands out as one of the most-deserving awardees in history.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 14.20.31.png

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
It’s not the mistakes I worry about. It’s the fact that without Jobs and Ive, Apple’s pace of innovation has come to a crawl.

Rather than take risks and come up with new ideas, everything old has become new again… reusing 20 yr old laptop designs, MagSafe, even recycling old commercials.

You know Tim Cook’s Apple is driven by spreadsheets instead of ideas when they’ve been reduced to selling microfiber cloths for $20 a pop. The kind of dumb a** s**t Steve nixed as soon as he took over Apple.

Apple Watch, Airpods.... new, incredibly popular and awesome products. That redefined what we expect of their respective categories.

Redefining what we think of laptops. Literally changing the industry with their chip designs.

iPad Pros, that turned iPads into one of the most popular tools for artists.

All under Cook. I guess you confuse innovation with flashy gimmicks. If M1 is not innovation, then nothign is.

And you're talking about cloths.

Anyway, I completely disagree. Apple is better than it has ever been. In fact, I prefer this Apple to the one we had before.

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I think the 2016 era OP was talking about was driven more by Ive than anything. That mistake was corrected and whoever is running their design shop is just KILLING it.

Yeah, who knows who is to blame, but even then, I seriously doubt their intention was to kill the Mac. That makes no sense. And the fact that Macs are what they are now is proof that Apple cares about the Mac

But sure, lets pretend Tim Cook wanted to erase the Mac and that M1 is not innovation. :)

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Newton was a PDA, not a Smartphone. Multi-touch was first invented at Bell labs in the early 1980s. It's evolution goes back to the 1970s. There were multi-tocuh musical keyboards in the late 90s. Evolurtionary, not revolutionary.

Hey, I like iPhones and Macs, I am using them now. But this "Apple invented everything" is a myth.
So they put a phone in a pda. So revolutionary.

You'll notice that I never said Apple invented multi-touch, just their multi touch OS with all its gestures. The iPhone was revolutionary because no one was doing multitouch phone OSes before the iPhone but everyone was doing them afterwards.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Apple Watch, Airpods.... new, incredibly popular and awesome products. That redefined what we expect of their respective categories.

Redefining what we think of laptops. Literally changing the industry with their chip designs.

iPad Pros, that turned iPads into one of the most popular tools for artists.

All under Cook. I guess you confuse innovation with flashy gimmicks. If M1 is not innovation, then nothign is.

And you're talking about cloths.

Anyway, I completely disagree. Apple is better than it has ever been. In fact, I prefer this Apple to the one we had before.
Wow, that’s such a short list of successes for a company spending $25B+/yr on R&D; more than 10x Steve spent.

Let’s face it, Apple Watch was a mess on launch, and it took 3 iterations before Apple finally figured out it was a glorified fitibit. The fact that Google quickly lost interest and there were no real competitors helped. It was also Jony’s baby, not Tim’s.

Airpods are great, and it was executed almost flawlessly, but making everything wireless was part of Apple’s vision for a long time. Tim had nothing to do with that.

iPad was supposed to be the future of computing but it’s flailing. It was the only product category that tanked YoY and product direction is confusing at best.

M1 was part of Steve’s plan, not Tim’s. Why do you think Steve bought PA Semiconductor? It’s also a rebranded A series chip. Talk about flashy gimmicks… change A to an M and all of a sudden it’s some massive innovation?

You neglected to mention the many failures under Tim… HomePod, AirPods Max, Apple TV, trash can Mac Pro, Apple Music (losing its dominance in digital music to a tiny startup, not to mention the embarrassing launch), digital video (ATV+), Apple Maps, Apple News+, 12” MacBook, Airport, touchbar/butterfly keyboard MBPs, lost a big lead in home automation and AI, etc.

I think you confuse Cook with some kind of visionary just because they’re still improving and launching new products. A company the size of Apple takes a life of its own, and the culture and momentum created by the founder can take the company a long way. Inertia is a real thing.

The $20 cloth is much bigger than you realize because it signals that Apple has lost its way.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
So they put a phone in a pda. So revolutionary.

You'll notice that I never said Apple invented multi-touch, just their multi touch OS with all its gestures. The iPhone was revolutionary because no one was doing multitouch phone OSes before the iPhone but everyone was doing them afterwards.
Apple mainstreamed multitouch. They also did a fair bit of inventing--look at their iPhone patents!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Wow, that’s such a short list of successes for a company spending $25B+/yr on R&D; more than 10x Steve spent.

Let’s face it, Apple Watch was a mess on launch, and it took 3 iterations before Apple finally figured out it was a glorified fitibit. The fact that Google quickly lost interest and there were no real competitors helped. It was also Jony’s baby, not Tim’s.
And yet AW became a powerhouse under Tim.
Airpods are great, and it was executed almost flawlessly, but making everything wireless was part of Apple’s vision for a long time. Tim had nothing to do with that.
And yet, It was Tim’s execution that made AirPods a powerhouse.
iPad was supposed to be the future of computing but it’s flailing. It was the only product category that tanked YoY and product direction is confusing at best.
And yet iPad is wildly successful, with different models for different use cases.
M1 was part of Steve’s plan, not Tim’s. Why do you think Steve bought PA Semiconductor? It’s also a rebranded A series chip. Talk about flashy gimmicks… change A to an M and all of a sudden it’s some massive innovation?
And yet it was Tims execution that brought the m1 to life.
You neglected to mention the many failures under Tim… HomePod, AirPods Max, Apple TV, trash can Mac Pro, Apple Music (losing its dominance in digital music to a tiny startup, not to mention the embarrassing launch), digital video (ATV+), Apple Maps, Apple News+, 12” MacBook, Airport, touchbar/butterfly keyboard MBPs, lost a big lead in home automation and AI, etc.
Failure is a moving personal definition. What you call failures I call successes. HomePod showed computational sound and is allegedly coming back next year. AirPods max and Apple TV are not failures as apple Music isn’t a failure. In fact would call those successes. Neither is Apple Maps.
I think you confuse Cook with some kind of visionary just because they’re still improving and launching new products.
Yes, he is a visionary, different from Steve.
A company the size of Apple takes a life of its own, and the culture and momentum created by the founder can take the company a long way. Inertia is a real thing.
No doubt apple has a lot of culture from its founders and to Tim’s credit he seemingly kept the culture intact.
The $20 cloth is much bigger than you realize because it signals that Apple has lost its way.
I respect your opinions, although imo the universe disagrees. Apple has been doomed according to some since 2011. Just waiting for it to implode.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Things were way better under the last “clown” unless you favor out of control inflation and gas/diesel prices.

Some people.
Considering the last clown gave one to Rush Limbaugh, Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes, giving one to Jobs is fine.

Reactions: tigres

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Things were way better under the last “clown” unless you favor out of control inflation and gas/diesel prices.

Some people.

Surely you must know that inflation is a global problem, and not specific to the United States, or a result of the current president, right? You may not have heard (especially since the last clown didn't like to talk about it), but there was a pandemic, and as a result, people all around the world haven't been out and up to as much as they normally were. Now that things are returning to normal, demand for goods is unusually high. Because nearly everything in life relies on fuel, there's a higher than usual demand for oil also, so shocker, but oil's expensive too. Oh and you know, Russia had to start a completely pointless war that has further exasperated the issue.

But things were better under the last clown, right? Only 1 million Americans dead from a pandemic ("it's just a flu, bro!") that was never managed properly because it turns out that clowns aren't good at that sort of thing. And while the entire world suffered from the pandemic, somehow America's death rate is far higher than other wealthy 1st world nations, because again, clowns don't manage criseses well. What's ironic, and scary, is that if the previous clown had actually taken a global health crisis seriously, and let experts do their job, he probably would have easily sailed into re-election.

Some people.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: aevan and DotCom2

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Surely you must know that inflation is a global problem, and not specific to the United States, or a result of the current president, right? You may not have heard (especially since the last clown didn't like to talk about it), but there was a pandemic, and as a result, people all around the world haven't been out and up to as much as they normally were. Now that things are returning to normal, demand for goods is unusually high. Because nearly everything in life relies on fuel, there's a higher than usual demand for oil also, so shocker, but oil's expensive too. Oh and you know, Russia had to start a completely pointless war that has further exasperated the issue.

But things were better under the last clown, right? Only 1 million Americans dead from a pandemic ("it's just a flu, bro!") that was never managed properly because it turns out that clowns aren't good at that sort of thing. And while the entire world suffered from the pandemic, somehow America's death rate is far higher than other wealthy 1st world nations, because again, clowns don't manage criseses well. What's ironic, and scary, is that if the previous clown had actually taken a global health crisis seriously, and let experts do their job, he probably would have easily sailed into re-election.

Some people.
We’ll if one wants to blame the last clown for 1 million deaths, then it’s fair game to blame this clown on out of control inflation and gas prices.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
We’ll if one wants to blame the last clown for 1 million deaths, then it’s fair game to blame this clown on out of control inflation and gas prices.
It's almost like you didn't read anything at all that I said. That or you purposefully chose to ignore it.

The previous clown can absolutely be blamed for the majority of the American COVID-19 deaths, because of gross mismanagement, obstruction, and the deliberate spread of misinformation and lies. Those are objective facts. And I just explained inflation and gas prices, which are a global problem, and not specific to the American president.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's almost like you didn't read anything at all that I said. That or you purposefully chose to ignore it.
Or I don’t agree with what you wrote.
The previous clown can absolutely be blamed for the majority of the American COVID-19 deaths, because of gross mismanagement, obstruction, and the deliberate spread of misinformation and lies. Those are objective facts. And I just explained inflation and gas prices, which are a global problem, and not specific to the American president.
Incorrect. Gas prices could have been mitigated in the US, but hindsight is 20-20. And the states objectively could have done much better as well.

But this has little to do with the thread at hand.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012

Some people.
My eyebrows have been hurting a lot lately and I’m sure it’s all Trumps fault….or maybe Putin or maybe both of them. Who knows! …and “surely” you must know more have died from COVID under Biden(with vaccines handed to him from the Trump administration) than our great President Trump.

Last edited:

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Politicians love playing the heart strings of different groups. This one is specifically targeted at a base of people getting beaten by high gas prices, high inflation and other monetary losses like stock, 401k and soon home equity.

The list even includes DENZEL WASHINGTON. Steve Jobs wins for changing the world, but over 10 years after HE DIES. An actor wins the same exact award... COME ON MAN. Open your eyes.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Another tech site had posted this speech, which I also remember very well, regarding this announcement.
It strikes me how his death still feels both so unreal and incredibly real at the same time.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Some people.
Not a result of the current president??? Biden may not be solely responsible, but he absolutely fueled it when he reversed Trump’s policies… shut down the keystone pipeline, allowed Putin to continue building his Nor stream 2 pipeline and stopped giving arms to Ukraine. That set the stage for the war and the oil crisis we’re in today.

But the thing that really jump started inflation was the $2 trillion he poured into the economy, against sage advice from leading economists, including Obama’s former Treasury secretary. That was on top of the $500B leftover from the original Covid funds.

Throwing that much money into the economy as we were coming out of Covid created a massive spike in demand, and the unnecessary unemployment benefits and rent relief kept millions from going back to work, creating a shortage of workers (useless vaccine mandates didn’t help) which forced businesses to increase pay to compete for workers... a recipe for disaster. And when the world’s largest economy is mismanaged, you can be sure the rest of the world will feel its effects.

As for Covid deaths, please stop. It’s over. More died under Biden, and even today, no one knows how many people died of Covid vs with Covid, not to mention, twice as many people die of cancer every year.

If Americans were more informed and cirtical of politicians regardless of political affiliation instead of engaging in sports politics, we’d actually have some effective leaders in office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.