Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
You’re confused, because you likely didn’t do any research of his contributions/deeds. I’d say he definitely qualifies to be on that list, for several reasons.
Well mainly I didn’t think he qualified for a civilian honor since he was military and a career politician after that. He also did a bit of war hawking.

With a bit of short googling I see he has an institute and donated several million to charity.

If you have some specific reasons in mind I’d like to hear.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
After reading stupid comments like these, I honestly wonder whether the internet was a mistake.
I think it's fair to separate the personal from his accomplishments, but I also think the other view has merit (but is wrong).

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Hahaha I love Jobs but the word freedom has become meaningless. Americans especially don’t know the meaning of the word.

Reactions: WiiDSmoker

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I'm sorry but does he really deserve this? I feel like we've learned from the various books and movies that he was a visionary, sure, but he wasn't actually the best person...
Well it says "prosperity or values," not "prosperity and values."

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Say what you like about Biden or Jobs, but the names I recognize on that list are worthy inclusions, and the ones I don’t know I’d like to learn more about. :)

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Are you saying my Palm Pilot is not a tablet? he may have kicked off another tablet trend, but not the tablet trend.
Palm tablet was the next step after the Apple Newton. Although that wasn’t Jobs tbh.
In any case, PDAs were not tablets. Before iPads tablets were thick, heavy, clunky windows XP devices with a battery that was lucky to last an hour and you had to raid a mint to pay for them. And they didn’t sell.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I'm sorry but does he really deserve this? I feel like we've learned from the various books and movies that he was a visionary, sure, but he wasn't actually the best person...
Wait, you question whether a man who gave us the modern PC, smartphone, digital music, and 3D animated films deserves this medal but you have no problem with someone like Megan Rapinoe, who got beat by a bunch of high school boys, getting this award?? 🤦‍♂️

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Wait, you question whether a man who gave us the modern PC, smartphone, digital music, and 3D animated films deserves this medal but you have no problem with someone like Megan Rapinoe, who got beat by a bunch of high school boys, getting this award?? 🤦‍♂️

Steve didn't give us any of those things, they already existed. He made some of them better, but he didn't invent any of that.

And I don't get your Rapinoe comment.

Reactions: citysnaps

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
It's not the "Father of the Year Award", or the "Especially Polite and Gentle Person Award".

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Woz would have had a long boring career at HP if not for Jobs.

Woz himself would be the first to say as much.
Don't dis The Woz. They were a team, a pair of legends, the sum greater than the two individuals.

I truly believe Apple would have been even greater if Woz had not only stayed, but had more sway in decisions. His practical genius, and attention to technical detail and quality control is sorely missed.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Wait what? I think that the person in the govt dept who decided to award this to Steve either didn't know him, his background or the way he treated people..

Only in America! 🤦‍♂️

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Steve didn't give us any of those things, they already existed. He made some of them better, but he didn't invent any of that.

And I don't get your Rapinoe comment.
Oh jeez, really? How many inventions can you name that wasn’t the result of building on someone else’s idea? After all, a sticky note is technically an invention but isn’t that just paper with some weak glue one one side, both of which existed long before the sticky note? Just because something existed before doesn’t mean it didn’t require genius to actually make it into a useful product.

It figures you don’t get the Rapinoe comment… if you can lower Steve Jobs to the level of a common man, I can see how you would think someone who is as unspectacular as Rapinoe is on the same level as Jobs.

Reactions: blackcrayon

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
his leaving Tim Cook in charge should disqualify him.

Yeah because Apple under Tim doesn't make the best iPhones ever, the best iPads ever, the best Macs ever, the best smartwatch ever and the most popular headphones ever.... Oh no, wait, they do.

Reactions: ericwn

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

He did more than make them better, he made them mainstream and part of our lives more than anyone before him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.