Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Oh jeez, really? How many inventions can you name that wasn’t the result of building on someone else’s idea? After all, a sticky note is technically an invention but isn’t that just paper with some weak glue one one side, both of which existed long before the sticky note? Just because something existed before doesn’t mean it didn’t require genius to actually make it into a useful product.

It figures you don’t get the Rapinoe comment… if you can lower Steve Jobs to the level of a common man, I can see how you would think someone who is as unspectacular as Rapinoe is on the same level as Jobs.

Your comment about Rapinoe makes no sense. Beat by bunch of boys? Huh?

Steve didn't invent any of those things. For example, I was rocking a very useful product, a PocketPC smartphone that had a camera, could play videos and digital music, run apps, had wifi and GPS on a full touchscreen 5 years before iPhone. "Refine" is not the same as "invent."

• Disagree
Reactions: sidewinder3000

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I'm sorry but does he really deserve this? I feel like we've learned from the various books and movies that he was a visionary, sure, but he wasn't actually the best person...
If they had a rumour site about any of the other people receiving that award, you would probably question most of the nominations. You have more detail about his private life than most people are privy to, and I would expect that most people at the level that make that kind of list are seldom saints. Quite a few eggs have been broken putting dings in the universe.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
Steve Jobs abandoned his own daughter flesh and blood. The only award he should get is father of the year award.

How about giving it to someone like Woz who actually did real engineering work?

And no comments on the other recipients. We all know why they all got something for reasons we all know are bologna.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
No? He didn't. And we got one of the biggest advancements in Mac history under him, so I don't know what you're talking about.

yes, keep pretending like the 2016-2018 macbook pros never happened..

Last edited:

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Top 10 Steve Jobs Achievements
  • 2. Introducing the mouse and graphical user interface. - Jobs changed how people interact with personal computers by replacing the text-based command-line interface with a mouse-driven graphical user interface. Instead of typing in commands with a keyboard, users could click on on-screen icons using a mouse controller. Jobs borrowed the idea for the new interface from Xerox 's (XRX) Palo Alto Research Center, which failed to see its potential.
#2: borrowed? Flat out stolen

• Disagree

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I hate that photo MR keeps using. He’s riddled with cancer, cachectic, and wasting away. Especially for an article about celebrating Jobs’ achievements maybe they could’ve picked a photo which doesn't remind us that dying young was his final one.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
yes, keep pretending like the 2016-2018 macbook pros never happened..

They made a mistake and corrected it. That doesn’t mean they wanted to kill the Mac. Now they are making the best Macs - possibly of all time.

How many mistakes we had during Steve era? Quite a few.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Well, considering Rush Limbaugh got one too, Steve seems like Mother Teresa in comparison.
I think a lot of people who bash Rush Limbaugh have never even listened to a full show. Unless you think his 60 million listeners are all just terrible like him, and that's a terrible way to view your fellow citizens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Anyway, Jobs literally changed the world with the iPhone. He deserves this and Obama should have pinned this award on him before he passed. Better late than never, I guess, and if he was a jerk, so what? He changed the world.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
They made a mistake and corrected it. That doesn’t mean they wanted to kill the Mac. Now they are making the best Macs - possibly of all time.

I think the 2016 era OP was talking about was driven more by Ive than anything. That mistake was corrected and whoever is running their design shop is just KILLING it.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Congrats Steve Apple! Nobody knows more about computers than I do, believe me. Many people have been saying nobody is as much as a computer guy as I am! Many are surprised at how great I am! It’s my honor to bring Steve Apple up here…. Steve Apple? Where are you? Oh, he’s no longer with us?

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
iPhone SE is too big? I agree with some of your sentiment but the iPhone had to evolve. I switched to Android from about the 6 era until I came back to an 11 Pro Max and it felt like coming home. iOS is in some ways still too similar to how it has always been.
Yes, the SE was too big. I have big hands, but the SE was still just a tick too big for perfect one-hand use. That wasn't the case with the original Jobs' design, and I suspect it was intended to be that way for that very reason: so people could use the phone comfortably with one hand.

As for iOS, it hasn't felt like iOS to me since 6. 7 was like some sort of hyper-colorful, confusing mind-trip and now, it just feels like their own take on Android. The original design was unique. Everything from the look, to the form, to the function (super intuitive and simple) just oozed uniqueness and felt like an Apple product.

I really miss it.

• Haha
Reactions: lordofthereef

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

It’s not the mistakes I worry about. It’s the fact that without Jobs and Ive, Apple’s pace of innovation has come to a crawl.

Rather than take risks and come up with new ideas, everything old has become new again… reusing 20 yr old laptop designs, MagSafe, even recycling old commercials.

You know Tim Cook’s Apple is driven by spreadsheets instead of ideas when they’ve been reduced to selling microfiber cloths for $20 a pop. The kind of dumb a** s**t Steve nixed as soon as he took over Apple.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Your comment about Rapinoe makes no sense. Beat by bunch of boys? Huh?

Steve didn't invent any of those things. For example, I was rocking a very useful product, a PocketPC smartphone that had a camera, could play videos and digital music, run apps, had wifi and GPS on a full touchscreen 5 years before iPhone. "Refine" is not the same as "invent."
Meh, my Apple Newton could do those kinds of things in the early 90s except for having an internal phone.

Lots of things had touchscreens before the iPhone, and its amazing that computer people on a computer forum miss this, but none of them had capacitive touchscreens with an OS built around multi-touch with finger and gesture controls. Even that Prada phone everyone likes to cite as an example of Apple doing things second had a single-touch OS that was button-driven instead of gesture-driven.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Meh, my Apple Newton could do all those things in the early 90s except for having an internal phone. So by your logic your PocketPC didn't invent anything.

Lots of things had touchscreens before the iPhone, and its amazing that computer people on a computer forum miss this, but none of them had capacitive touchscreens with an OS built around multi-touch with finger and gesture controls. Even that Prada phone everyone likes to cite as an example of Apple doing things second had a single-touch OS.

The PocketPC was a phone, the Newton wasn't. Single to multi touch was evolutionary, not revolutionary. Except for 20 years of tech advancements and miniaturization, there is not much that you can do on iPhones and Androids now that we weren't doing on PocketPC smartphones 20 years ago. And yes, PocketPCs had capacitive touchscreens with an OS built around them (WinCE). You could absolutely touch on them. But the stylus was used because the screens were smaller and it was hard to touch the screen elements with precision.

I find that a lot of people think the iPhone was the first true smartphone either never owned a PocketPC smartphone, or weren't born yet.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The PocketPC was a phone, the Newton wasn't. Single to multi touch was evolutionary, not revolutionary. Except for 20 years of tech advancements and miniaturization, there is not much that you can do on iPhones and Androids now that we weren't doing on PocketPC smartphones 20 years ago. And yes, PocketPCs had capacitive touchscreens with an OS built around them (WinCE). You could absolutely touch on them. But the stylus was used because the screens were smaller and it was hard to touch the screen elements with precision.
The newton was revolutionary, your PocketPC was evolutionary, an evolution of what the Newton did. Nothing revolutionary about your PocketPC having a phone.

The iPhone's revolution was the multi-touch interface. You know it was revolutionary because no one used it before the iPhone and everyone used it after the iPhone. Even Android did a 180 and went from a Blackberry/MotoQ clone to a iOS style multitouch device after they saw the revolutionary iPhone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.