Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried removing the card from Apple Pay and then adding it again? That will change the device card number used. Also, is BofA showing a declined transaction at all? I know they said that they didn't decline anything, but it would still show if you attempted it.

Yes I have removed and re-added. Still doesn't work. Went through the whole activation process with BoA and nothing.

Also, they see that they have been declined but say it's not them.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
A quick update - my colleague has an iPhone 6 and was successfully able to make a purchase at the vending machine that has repeated declined me.

So, it does seem to be a specific issue with me/my phone/my card. :(

What bank/card is your colleague using?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What bank/card is your colleague using?

AmEx, I believe.

Interesting development: my wife and I went to Panera tonight. I'm know they're not an in-store Apple Pay partner, but I gave it a shot anyway.

To my surprise, she saw the info come up, however, the expiration date on her screen read 4/19, when it really is 4/16. Because of this, she cancelled the transaction and I paid with my card instead.

Is that how it's supposed to work, will the merchant see a different expiration date? If not, could that be the issue? In my settings it's set up correctly as 4/16.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I had no problems using it at CVS, McDonald's, and whole foods but when I used it at home depot with the same card, it was declined. Home Depot does have NFC set up.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had no problems using it at CVS, McDonald's, and whole foods but when I used it at home depot with the same card, it was declined. Home Depot does have NFC set up.

I thought Home Depot had there NFC terminals disabled, no?

Meaning they are there and on but won't work.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
AmEx, I believe.

Interesting development: my wife and I went to Panera tonight. I'm know they're not an in-store Apple Pay partner, but I gave it a shot anyway.

To my surprise, she saw the info come up, however, the expiration date on her screen read 4/19, when it really is 4/16. Because of this, she cancelled the transaction and I paid with my card instead.

Is that how it's supposed to work, will the merchant see a different expiration date? If not, could that be the issue? In my settings it's set up correctly as 4/16.

Maybe they sent you a new card and you didn't get it or threw it out thinking it was junk mail or something? The bank should be able to tell you if the card you have is current.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
AmEx, I believe.

Panera IS a :apple:Pay partner. It should work there. The EX date is not one of the tokenized items, if it was wrong -that is a problem and would prevent the card from working.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I bet that EX date is it. I'm a BOA card holder too and have only tired AP once and it worked great. Keep us posted just in case.

Hopefully the expiration date is the issue. I've had that happen when I got a new card and forgot to update all of my auto pay accounts..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Maybe they sent you a new card and you didn't get it or threw it out thinking it was junk mail or something? The bank should be able to tell you if the card you have is current.

They haven't sent me a new card, I have confirmed with BoA that this is the correct card number and expiration date.

----------

Panera IS a :apple:Pay partner. It should work there. The EX date is not one of the tokenized items, if it was wrong -that is a problem and would prevent the card from working.

They are an Apple Pay partner through their app, but not officially through the store yet. But, that's good to know - then this issue is even more strange as I confirmed the card number and exp. date with BoA, both are accurate.

I just spoke with someone from the Bank of America Apple Pay department (again), who routed me to the Authorizations/Fraud department (again), who said that the transactions were being declined by Visa (again).

The rep has suggested that I get a new card because there could be an issue with the magnetic strip (which there's not, as the card itself works fine, it's just using it through Apple Pay that doesn't work).

Also, I sent feedback on the issue to Apple last night through the Apple Pay feedback page. About 5 hours later I received an email from an Apple representative saying someone from Apple Care would get in touch with me about a new phone as the transactions should not keep getting declined.

So, maybe I'll have to get a new card AND a new iPhone, and then maybe, just maybe it will work..:(

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
AmEx, I believe.

I received email from Panera announcing that Panera is an Apply Pay store. It was the usual promotional email item. I'm not using Apple Pay.
Hope your issue is resolved soon. The expiration date issue may be the problem.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I received email from Panera announcing that Panera is an Apply Pay store. It was the usual promotional email item. I'm not using Apple Pay.
Hope your issue is resolved soon. The expiration date issue may be the problem.

I called BoA this morning and they have confirmed my expiration date as being what is on my card, 4/16. Not sure why the Panera cashier saw 4/19, no one seems to know why that would be.

Perhaps a new card will be the solution, just would rather not go through the hassle of changing all of my accounts, especially if it ends up not fixing anything.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I called BoA this morning and they have confirmed my expiration date as being what is on my card, 4/16. Not sure why the Panera cashier saw 4/19, no one seems to know why that would be.

Perhaps a new card will be the solution, just would rather not go through the hassle of changing all of my accounts, especially if it ends up not fixing anything.

Tyler,

If Apple suggests exchanging the iPhone that may be the way to do first. That's a hassle but maybe easier than changing the card. Your card works with the swipe so it's good.

Hope the issue is resolved quickly.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Tyler,

If Apple suggests exchanging the iPhone that may be the way to do first. That's a hassle but maybe easier than changing the card. Your card works with the swipe so it's good.

Hope the issue is resolved quickly.

Well, BoA did, again, say that it looked like the transactions were declined by Visa. They said this happens for a few reasons, but generally it's a communication error between the merchant/card issuer/Visa, such as swiping it as an AmEx when it's really a Visa.

Now, that's not the case here, but perhaps there is some communication error still with the card. I'll see if Apple gets in touch with me regarding the phone and go from there.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I can report that so far I've used a BofA Cash Rewards card like yours at McDonalds, Walgreens, and Whole Foods with an iPhone 6 and it has worked. I have not visited Home Depot; I prefer Lowe's (and Menard's, if the one going in near me has NFC when it opens). But I could give it a try if you like.

In addition to checking the expiration date: do you have any middle initials that are shown on the card but weren't in the data you entered when you added the card? Not getting all that matched should cause the card to fail to add in the first place, but it's worth a thought.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What Buran said.

And how was the card entered? Grabbed from iTunes, typed in, or scanned?

Can maybe see the info being incorrect via scan, possibly, but then again, would imagine that the "validation" step/process would flag the card if something is off.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I can report that so far I've used a BofA Cash Rewards card like yours at McDonalds, Walgreens, and Whole Foods with an iPhone 6 and it has worked. I have not visited Home Depot; I prefer Lowe's (and Menard's, if the one going in near me has NFC when it opens). But I could give it a try if you like.

In addition to checking the expiration date: do you have any middle initials that are shown on the card but weren't in the data you entered when you added the card? Not getting all that matched should cause the card to fail to add in the first place, but it's worth a thought.

Thanks for posting here! Unfortunately, my name (with the middle initial) was added correctly in the scan, so that shouldn't be causing the issue. I've re-added twice, each time verifying the name, card number, expiration and security code. Every time they've been entered/matched 100% correctly.

----------

What Buran said.

And how was the card entered? Grabbed from iTunes, typed in, or scanned?

Can maybe see the info being incorrect via scan, possibly, but then again, would imagine that the "validation" step/process would flag the card if something is off.

Twice I've scanned it in, the other time I typed it in. Hasn't made a difference, the issue still persists :(

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just a quick update.

I submitted a report last night on the Apple Pay feedback site regarding the issue. Last night, I received an email from a Sr. Manager in the Apple Pay department at Apple responding to my report and saying that someone would call me to get more information on the situation.

Just now, I received a call from a Senior Engineer at Apple. He asked for all of the details, so we discussed what's been happening for about 15 minutes. He then thanked me for providing this information, and that he would take it back to discuss with his engineer team. He said he wasn't sure whether I would hear back from anyone about the issue again, but there you have it.

I've ordered a new credit card with a new number from BoA (and unfortunately my wife will have to get the new card as well). That should be here in 7-10 business days so let's see if that does anything. If not, I may go back to Apple to see about a replacement phone.

Fingers crossed!

kent912

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
There is indeed an issue with Visa cards. Today I tried to use Apple pay at a vending machine inside a shopping mall and both of my Visa cards were declined- one from chase and another from Wells Fargo. However when I used my American Express the transaction was approved.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Have you checked your billing address to be sure it exactly matches the credit card billing statement?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have you checked your billing address to be sure it exactly matches the credit card billing statement?

Yes, that was one of the first things that I did.

----------

There is indeed an issue with Visa cards. Today I tried to use Apple pay at a vending machine inside a shopping mall and both of my Visa cards were declined- one from chase and another from Wells Fargo. However when I used my American Express the transaction was approved.

Hmm, that's interesting. Did you report this to Apple/Visa?

I have a new BoA Visa card on the way, should be here Monday. I'll see if that makes any difference.

krm728

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014

Billing address was exactly my problem. Used Target app to try apple pay. When I hit the ApplePay button it highlighted my billing address as not correct and gave me the opportunity to change. Had "OHIO" as state versus "OH". Entered new default billing address with "OH" and it accepted and the purchase went through. The original billing address with "OHIO" was entered automatactly when I first added card. For reference this was a Citi Visa card as well.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The billing address is only used to populate forms when you use Apple Pay for in-app purchases. It is not used when you pay via NFC in a store or at a vending machine.

My guess would be that some payment providers are not fully on board with tokenized payments yet (also see here). There are a lot of variables and parties involved. The issuers, payment networks, and payment providers all have to play along. Visa and Mastercard each have their own tokenization services, and issuers may opt to implement their own (which is, I think, what Amex did). That could perhaps explain why some cards work and others don't.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando

I know this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to say that I paid with apple pay through the panera app for pickup at the store. When I got to the store and looked at the receipt it showed the last 4 of the 'cc number', which didn't actually match my cc and also the expiration date. The expiration date was exactly 3 years after the actual expiration date on my card. In my case the transaction went through without a problem, so I wouldn't worry about the expiration date issue too much. It looks like apple pay does show a different expiration date than the card has.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I know this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to say that I paid with apple pay through the panera app for pickup at the store. When I got to the store and looked at the receipt it showed the last 4 of the 'cc number', which didn't actually match my cc and also the expiration date. The expiration date was exactly 3 years after the actual expiration date on my card. In my case the transaction went through without a problem, so I wouldn't worry about the expiration date issue too much. It looks like apple pay does show a different expiration date than the card has.

Hmm ok, that makes sense. I know the last 4 are different because the digital card in Apple Pay gets a new 16 digit card number, so that part is definitely right. I'm glad to hear of someone else getting a different expiration date exactly three years past their actual date, as that was what my situation was.

As I mentioned, we stopped the transaction because we didn't know if that would be an issue, but it could have gone through. I should have my new CC tonight, so I'll register it with Apple Pay and perhaps go back to a different merchant to see if it now works. I also restored my phone yesterday as brand new to rule out any software bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.