Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I need to clarify a few points so that people won't suspect the phone is a stolen one.
I visited their Genius Bar and did the following:
1. I provided the official receipt from Apple Store.
2. I showed them the box of that iPhone 5s

I restored my iPhone in DFU mode for some reason. Upon restore process, I forgot my iCloud id and password when the screen comes up asking me the Apple ID I used.

I contacted their online support. They attempted to help me find the iCloud ID and password but failed. They suggested me to call Apple Care but turn out I booked Genius Bar as I believe this can be solved in a faster way.

I asked the staff in Genius Bar about the activation lock, and they ask me to show them the receipt. I did give them and even showed them the box I owned, and the receipt from the card company which I used to pay the iPhone. Turn out they tell me that even with such information they are not allowed to unlock my phone. What they could do is to assist me to recall my iCloud ID and password. There is no way to unlock my phone in other manners even I provide proof of purchasing.

P.S.: I asked them if they could check which iCloud ID I used, but they said it is privacy of their consumers and they don't have access to so.

So my problem is, anyone here have similar experience? How did you solve the problem then?

Also, any methods that I may attempt to contact Apple for unlocking purposes?
(Please note that I'm able to provide any proof of purchasing the iPhone)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why did they ask for a receipt and proof of purchase if in the end they didn't even need any of it since they couldn't use that information to help you anyway?

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Why did they ask for a receipt and proof of purchase if in the end they didn't even need any of it since they couldn't use that information to help you anyway?

It was like this:

I talked to Genius for a while, and then he asked me to provide the receipt. Upon I showed them, he walked away for a while. When he came back, he told me he had no way to help me with this.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Trying to think of a few things: Any chance you are still logged into iCloud on a computer? Or did you send yourself any e-mails or iMessages that would help you determine which one it is? Does anyone have you on Find My Friends? I don't remember if this is how it works but did you set up an alternate address in your iCloud account and if so does it send a confirmation or verification e-mail that you still have?

----------

Or send someone else an iMessage so they have your iCloud address?

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
From my understanding even with proof it's your phone apple or your phone company will not help with activation locked devices. If you forget your information your device is useless unless you can remember your account info.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
From my understanding even with proof it's your phone apple or your phone company will not help with activation locked devices. If you forget your information your device is useless unless you can remember your account info.
if you really have absolute proof it's your device I don't see why Apple can't have a recovery system from leaving your expensive device in a brick form just because you forgot your user information somehow. Makes little customer care sense from a company like that for an important and expensive device like that.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
I agree, however, from everything I have found they will not help you. I can understand forgetting a password but not an email address. As long as you have that you should be able to log in and reset your password.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree, however, from everything I have found they will not help you. I can understand forgetting a password but not an email address. As long as you have that you should be able to log in and reset your password.
I agree with that in genral as will, but in some odd situation where that happens they really should have specialized recovery options (maybe even for some fee) if it can be positively proven the device is yours.

Imagine you got hacked or had your identity stolen and got passwords/emails changed or locked out. Which unfortunately isn't that uncommon these days. How much of a an unnecessary extra insult would it be to get locked out or your phone then too without a way to recover from that?

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I need to clarify a few points so that people won't suspect the phone is a stolen one.
I visited their Genius Bar and did the following:
1. I provided the official receipt from Apple Store.
2. I showed them the box of that iPhone 5s

I restored my iPhone in DFU mode for some reason. Upon restore process, I forgot my iCloud id and password when the screen comes up asking me the Apple ID I used.

I contacted their online support. They attempted to help me find the iCloud ID and password but failed. They suggested me to call Apple Care but turn out I booked Genius Bar as I believe this can be solved in a faster way.

I asked the staff in Genius Bar about the activation lock, and they ask me to show them the receipt. I did give them and even showed them the box I owned, and the receipt from the card company which I used to pay the iPhone. Turn out they tell me that even with such information they are not allowed to unlock my phone. What they could do is to assist me to recall my iCloud ID and password. There is no way to unlock my phone in other manners even I provide proof of purchasing.

P.S.: I asked them if they could check which iCloud ID I used, but they said it is privacy of their consumers and they don't have access to so.

So my problem is, anyone here have similar experience? How did you solve the problem then?

Also, any methods that I may attempt to contact Apple for unlocking purposes?
(Please note that I'm able to provide any proof of purchasing the iPhone)

Your Apple ID is your email address. You're saying you can't remember your email address? Really?

Apple cannot and will not unlock a phone that is Activation Locked -- especially when you tell them you don't even know your own email address.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Another week another tale if woe. Funny thing, in each of these stories, the poster seems to have trouble remembering their email address. Glad to see activation lock is working as intended.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
yea one thing i cannot fathom, is how people forget their apple ID email address and or password combo. i mean seriously? the two most important things as an apple owner, and people forget it??

its right up there with people forgetting their phone number, address and middle name.

i5r431

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Stuck in activation lock after DFU restore

On your computer on iTunes, can you not see your Apple ID?
Like try going to the store on iTunes or download an app there and it should be there somewhere on the screen.
Do you have any other apple devices that you have already logged in with your ID that you can check what it is?

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I'm sorry that I didn't go into detail of the problem, but since there are so many people suspecting me, so I'm going to tell you more.

Account A stands for the Apple ID which I normally use.
Account B stands for the Apple ID which I used to test a bug (to be mentioned below)

First, I use account A on the iPhone for normal use, and I do remember any of the details of this Apple ID.

When I saw a bug on the Internet, which said there's a bug on iOS to toggle "Find my iPhone" without password, I created account B for test. (I'm sure some of you have heard of that bug, which could turn off Find my iPhone locally on iOS) I first turn off Find my iPhone on account A in a normal manner, and login account B on iPhone, and use the bug to toggle off Find my iPhone. Then I logout account B and login account A again. From then on, I could still use my iPhone with account A without any problem, including purchasing apps, music etc.

A few days ago, when I DFU restore my iPhone, it suddenly asked me to enter details of account B (Why I know it was account B is because iTunes show up the Apple ID partially, and that made me think of it). Now I'm stuck at account B and could not activate it.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Stuck in activation lock after DFU restore

So do you know the email you used for account b? If so you should be able to reset your password if you set the account up properly with your security questions. Not sure why it would ask you for account b info when your last step before restore was logging into account a. Either way, without having this info there is not much you can do except sell for parts.

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
So do you know the email you used for account b? If so you should be able to reset your password if you set the account up properly with your security questions. Not sure why it would ask you for account b info when your last step before restore was logging into account a. Either way, without having this info there is not much you can do except sell for parts.

I tried my best to recall the email for account B, but it keeps telling me that the Apple ID I entered cannot be used to activate the phone. I have no idea now. :(

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Well the email is not a iCloud if thats what your trying.. or not the one generated when you created your Apple ID it has to be a different email.

example:

xx@icloud.com <- made when I created apple ID

xx@outlook.com <- what I have to use to log into Apple stuff.

Probably doesn't help.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
A few days ago, when I DFU restore my iPhone, it suddenly asked me to enter details of account B (Why I know it was account B is because iTunes show up the Apple ID partially, and that made me think of it). Now I'm stuck at account B and could not activate it.

You can't even remember the first half of the account before the @ sign? You said earlier that seeing the partial Apple ID made you think of it. Just start guessing...yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
You can't even remember the first half of the account before the @ sign? You said earlier that seeing the partial Apple ID made you think of it. Just start guessing...yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.

i mean the partial showing of apple id made me think of the fact that i created a dummy apple id for testing purpose, but i couldn't remember what exactly it is like. i kept trying and it kept prompting me the apple id is incorrect!

Well the email is not a iCloud if thats what your trying.. or not the one generated when you created your Apple ID it has to be a different email.

example:

Probably doesn't help.

well, for the apple id i created for test, i put in random information there
that's why i couldn't recall what it was

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Your Apple ID is your email address.

Not always. My Apple ID is a word, not an e-mail address.

I'm not buying any of this story. Kids, don't steal iPhones and expect Apple to help you.

Too true. And when you create an ID, be sure to follow Apple's recommendations on a rescue e-mail address and security questions.

Since there won't be a resolution in this thread I'll go off topic and say I wish Apple would differentiate between an iCloud ID and an Apple ID. What I mean is that you may have multiple IDs to use with iCloud including the Apple ID to use in the store. Or maybe I'm "using them wrong". ;)

But to defend people as careless as I am, I recently replaced a flakey Time Capsule. I was in a hurry, the kid wasn't happy the Internet was unavailable, etc. I imported the configuration and at some point it asked for a password. I made something up and finished the job. A few days later I needed to tweak something and I kept putting in the "right" password. It turns out the right password was the temporary one I put in, not the one I thought was exported. I was able to recover it and I now know more about exporting/importing Time Capsule configs. Some things are best not done carelessly.

peter08po

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Not always. My Apple ID is a word, not an e-mail address.

Too true. And when you create an ID, be sure to follow Apple's recommendations on a rescue e-mail address and security questions.

Since there won't be a resolution in this thread I'll go off topic and say I wish Apple would differentiate between an iCloud ID and an Apple ID. What I mean is that you may have multiple IDs to use with iCloud including the Apple ID to use in the store. Or maybe I'm "using them wrong". ;)

But to defend people as careless as I am, I recently replaced a flakey Time Capsule. I was in a hurry, the kid wasn't happy the Internet was unavailable, etc. I imported the configuration and at some point it asked for a password. I made something up and finished the job. A few days later I needed to tweak something and I kept putting in the "right" password. It turns out the right password was the temporary one I put in, not the one I thought was exported. I was able to recover it and I now know more about exporting/importing Time Capsule configs. Some things are best not done carelessly.

I'm afraid you didn't read my post. What I meant is, the Apple ID I lost is a temporary one which I DO NOT normally use it. Even with ownership proof they told me they can't help me. I don't hope that I spent HK$6,388 (about US$821) on an iPhone 5s (32 GB) and cannot be used. (I still keep the receipt from card company)

If anyone can provide a way for me to further communicate with Apple, it'd be deeply appreciated. In fact, the only way I didn't try is Apple Care, and I will do this when it is weekday in their business hours.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm afraid you didn't read my post. What I meant is, the Apple ID I lost is a temporary one which I DO NOT normally use it.

I did and I do understand your issue. My point was even with a testing/temp ID that a rescue address should be used. Apple should make it mandatory. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

ninety5eclipz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
You can try to seek further assistance but with all the info that's out there apple will not help you. And the fact that you cannot remember the Apple ID will not convince them to even try. I'm not one to make accusations but IF the device was stolen/found, it's in your best interest to pull the SIM card and contact the phone company so they can return it to the rightful owner. If you are telling the truth.....well then......sorry for the situation you are in. It's unfortunate. If you cannot get help from apple your only option is to try to sell it for parts and get some money back.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
I'm afraid you didn't read my post. What I meant is, the Apple ID I lost is a temporary one which I DO NOT normally use it. Even with ownership proof they told me they can't help me. I don't hope that I spent HK$6,388 (about US$821) on an iPhone 5s (32 GB) and cannot be used. (I still keep the receipt from card company)

If anyone can provide a way for me to further communicate with Apple, it'd be deeply appreciated. In fact, the only way I didn't try is Apple Care, and I will do this when it is weekday in their business hours.

There literally isn't anything that can be done. No one can remove that activation lock for you. The only processes Apple has in place to remove activation lock are for enterprise and education customers. Unless you figure out your Apple ID and then recover the password, you have a brick.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There literally isn't anything that can be done. No one can remove that activation lock for you. The only processes Apple has in place to remove activation lock are for enterprise and education customers. Unless you figure out your Apple ID and then recover the password, you have a brick.
So seems like they have a process then, why not have it available to consumers as well (even for a price perhaps)? Is it that a personal user's $700 device just not important enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.